Post-Game Talk: This is the end

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Was this season a success?

• Total voters

Wreckus

Feb 21, 2016
An Epic Adventure

This has been among the greatest seasons of any team in NHL history. Left for dead in October-early November to a Game 7 Stanley Cup Final. We saw the best of Oil Country on display with the best fanbase in hockey who got behind this team's miracle run 150%. This team with a new hero throughout the playoffs. Young guns emerging and forged in deep playoff series. That includes Skinner who survived a baptism by fire when the veteran big money guy imploded. This team learned to defend and shutdown opponents. A strong, nimble head coach and staff.

Tonight hurts. It's so hard to get to and get back to the Cup Final. But this is an absolutely epic ride this team took us on after looking like roadkill.
Well said.

cruisecity

May 24, 2024
McLeod, Foegele, Ceci, Nurse
Foegele owns and would be an amazing middle6/bottom6 player for a Cup group. He did well for us when the going got tough. Nothing wrong with him as a player, we need more guys like him.

McLeod, Ceci, Nurse, RNH...utterly useless.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Like getting to 10 meters from the peak of Mt Everest and dropping dead. Tough to swallow after the comeback in this series not to be able to finish it. Florida lost in the finals last year and came back and won, just have to scale Everest again and reach the summit next season. Won’t be easy but gratifying when it finally happens. Goodnight all, been a privilege

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
The 2 lessons are (1) don't take the regular season for granted and (2) don't go down 3-0 in the Finals if you can help it.

There's a reason even the Game 7 scenario had happened once in 1942.
Yes, if they won one of those three games, they likely finish Florida off in 5 or 6 games.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
1719287396634.png

@HabsQC Yeah, so douchebags like you dont come around basically.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Cell reception f***in blows in the fan park. Cell Towers overloaded or something. Is that a thing?

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
Is there a reason Skinner wasn't pulled with 2 minutes on the clock and in complete control of the o-zone? Waited until 1:30 and by that point, the stars were gassed. McDavid could barely skate and had a bad turnover near the end because he was completely out of breath.

Those last few minutes were weird. Had control in the offensive zone but goalie not pulled. Absolute lack of urgency to get the puck up the ice with 95 seconds left.

Valhallis

Aug 2, 2005
This hurt more in 06. Now, I have a beautiful wife and an amazing son and an awesome summer to look forward to. It was an amazing, stressful, fun run but at the end of the day it's still a sport that millionaires play so no sense in getting too upset about things! Great job salvaging the season Oilers and we're proud of you!

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Proud of the team.

Momentum is irrelevant. It comes down to a bad play in the second period by Kulak and Skinner, and it's in the net. No puck luck after that.

It's cruel but it's sports. Feels like reliving 2006.
Exactly what I said when the game ended. Exact same type of game as 2006. Never had a lead never really had much going. Just not good enough.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Draisaitl didn't have much left in Final series but was very good in game 6 and in most of this game. We'll find out the injury lists and status of the players.

Yeah I know this was it. They all know it was. Florida Panthers know it too. One team is gonna win, one is gonna lose and unmistakably goaltending was the slim margin in a game 7.
I disagree. Tonight Skinner was good enough. The first goal … anyone blaming that on him must be on glue. The second goal? A 57 goal scorer allowed to walk in and walk in and walk in. He picked his shot and made it. That happens.

The guys making all the money, and that includes Nurse obviously, were no shows in the biggest game of their lives. Skinner played as expected. Those guys definitely did not.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
devasted but absolutely incredible season!....this series was OVER after Game 3 yet they found a way to be so resilient just like they have been all season

let's not forget the Panthers lost last year in the SCF and even Crosby fell short his first time in the SCF

next year start on time in the regular season...perhaps win the division for once

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Skinner wasn’t the issue but that 2nd goal was ass. (For a SCF game 7)
Can’t save them all. He made several fantastic clutch saves that more than made up for the one he didn’t get. This game should’ve been like 5-1 or 6-1 Panthers. He gave the Oilers a chance to win the game; that’s all you can ask of a goaltender in any game 7, let alone in the SCF. The rest of the team let him down (except Janmark, dude was all heart and did what nobody else on the team did). Oilers found their goalie, finally. They’ll get it done next year; I know they will.

Dynamic

Dec 21, 2004
Edmonton
Hard to to really judge what I'm really feeling right now. But I will say just disappointment is 100% a sure thing. I was here for the 2006 loss. And ever so present on this loss. These chances don't come very often and if they do you need to capitalize. We didn't capitalize again. It just sucks.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Florida structurally played their A game and the Oilers were also good and slightly better on the night, if only due to score effects and Panthers hanging back more in third. Both teams were good. Nobody choked in my opinion and heads can be held high. Although I'm sure the Oilers will be looking like they're in hell right now.
If I have one critique, it's about guys in netfront battles. STICKS ON THE ICE!

Foegele drove the net in the 2nd period and we had a guy in front cross-checking a defenseman. We had three glorious scrambles that could've resulted in the game tying goal.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad