Speculation: This Could Be Scheifele's Last Season In WPG

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Outside of Fox/Sheshterkin, nothing should be off limits from the Rangers if Scheifele really is available.
In another thread the discussion from the Rangers was around Lafreniere + Lundkvist + Chytil. Jets would surely ask for Schneider.

Royale With Cheese

----
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Idiotic to trade a guy like Scheifele. This would be nearly as bad as the first Jets trading Selanne. Not at that level, but still really stupid.

Say what you will, but no one on that team has the skills that he does, and I'm including PLD who is a genuine talent at centre.

You just don't trade guys like Scheifele unless it's a 1C for 1C deal.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Alright lets wind back a year to before Dubois was a Jet. Do you trade Scheifele + Heinola for Johnny Gaudreau? Johnny is obviously the better player but then your 1C is Adam Lowry/Andrew Copp.

Calgary would be moronic to move any of their top 4 defensemen for a center. I have no issue paying the difference to upgrade Monahan to Scheifele but moving Andersson is simply not an option in general
Jets would not have traded Scheifele straight up for Gaudreau let alon add their top D prospect.

Reactions: GreatSaveEssensa

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Apologies if I missed this or if it is being talked about in another thread. But what exactly is the issue with Scheifele and why? Seems weird to me as an outsider.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Outside of Fox/Sheshterkin, nothing should be off limits from the Rangers if Scheifele really is available.

False. Scheifele puts up points and doesn't do much of anything else. I'd take him over Strome, but I'm not giving up anything more than what I'd give for Miller.

Makaveli

Killuminati
Jan 15, 2008
Toronto
I know Minnesota's cap situation next year is looking tight. But if they include Dumba or trade him somewhere else, Scheifele would be a great fit.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Apologies if I missed this or if it is being talked about in another thread. But what exactly is the issue with Scheifele and why? Seems weird to me as an outsider.

No real issue that's been raised. Just the idea that it might be time to reset with PLD/Perfetti, etc. It would be a huge move if true, so the Jets would need to get a haul back.

Reactions: Judas Tavares

Bond

May 10, 2012
Flames should have traded the Toffoli package for Scheiefle. Tre missing out :sarcasm:
If he does get traded and goes cheap I will be annoyed

Gert B Frobe

Nov 18, 2003
Chester County
I think it would be difficult for Scheifele to truly flourish outside of Canada. He would face constant frustration when asking "Do you know who I am???" and people would be like "uh, no but should I?"

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
If this is indeed true. I think one giant darkhorse to trade for him would be San Jose.

But considering they're out of contention, I say either Boston, Carolina, NYR, Washington, or Pittsburgh.

I imagine he brings a lot back. Wonder what the cause for this might be. This leaves us with a gaping hole at centre with no replacements. Unless Dubois has taken the 1C job from him.

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014

Nothing has been stated. This is all just baseless speculation at this point. (For the record, I firmly believe that trading Scheif would be extremely stupid and won't happen.)

In my opinion, I think the fact that the media and many people in the fanbase left him hanging so that he could be suspended for the second round of the playoffs last year for a legal check with a bad looking result has soured his relationship with Winnipeg. Everyone being scared of the Montreal media machine allowed Parros (former Hab enforcer) to levy an unprecedented suspension of 4 playoff games for a first time offender with over 500 NHL games under his belt. That suspension video is still cringeworthy to watch as they say things like:

- "with the game already decided" when it was a 1 goal game with a minute left to play
- "he skates the length of the ice to deliver the hit" when he just backchecked and his last stride was at the top of the circles
- "he made no attempt to play the puck" when that isn't a requirement to attempt a stick check first. Him physically being there should have been the deterrent to Evans trying to score like that.
- "significant contact is made with the head" because clearly the primary point of contact was shoulder to chest
- they basically called him a liar and said they didn't believe that he was doing anything other trying to injure the other player even though he made contact with him while he was still behind the goal line and it was just a pretty tidy tuck that allowed him to score on a backhand wrap there.

That combined with multiple years of no fans or fan restrictions and it feels like he, and likely most players, are looking at the states and wishing they played in an American city right now. Even coming back from the allstar break he said he was able to get some sun and freedom and that is what has gotten his game back on track.

People have been critical of his defensive effort and with him having COVID earlier this season, offensively he was off to a slow start as well so people were speculating that he looked disinterested. (I don't share that view.)

I also think the fact that people didn't have him as a lock to make the Canadian Olympic team ate at him and likely if he were in a different market his name would have been on every single mock list out there as a lock to make it. It's a moot point because the NHLers didn't go, but I could see that bothering him to.

The reality is he's under contract for this season plus 2 more at a crazy good caphit so the price to acquire him via trade would be immense and there is no pressure for the Jets to trade him.

Again, this is just my read of the situation and if he did want to move on I would suggest that these would be the reasons why.

As the first pick of the franchise coming back to Winnipeg I don't see the Jets trading him unless he asked to be moved. That combined with the fact that since Little was injured we have been searching for another top flight C to pair with 55 and moving him just doesn't really make much sense to the Jets unless he wanted out.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I'd move Pastrnak in a package.

Otherwise, Bruins likely don't have much to offer (that couldn't easily be beat out by another team at least)

Not sure of Winnipeg's needs.

Wow, as a Leafs fan I really wish the Bruins would move one of the best wingers in the world for an offense only centre that isn't even that special offensively, but I seriously doubt Boston would consider that.

behemolari

worst collapse in nhl history
Dec 1, 2011

Jets window closed earlier than was predicted mostly because their whole defence walked away, then stupid trades and now they have to retool everything while waiting Wheeler retires

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
What's the ask from the kings

I actually think the Kings are the team that would make the most sense as a trade partner as they likely want to try to have another run or two with Kopi, Doughty, etc and cap wise they would be able to run Kopitar, Scheif, Danault, Byfield down the middle, which is just gross.

I don't think the Jets should trade Scheif but a package I'd be looking at from the Kings would be:

- Brandt Clarke - we need a RD prospect with top pair potential so he would be the cornerstone piece coming back. Kings still have Grans and Spence to play behind Doughty so they can spare Clarke and still be really set up well for the present and future.
- Gab Vilardi - we would need a replacement right handed center with top 6 upside and as he's NHL ready (currently PPG in the AHL) we could give him a look in Scheif's spot
- 1st round pick
- probably something else as there is no proven asset coming back

I also think the Kings could use some Left D help, which is an area of organizational depth for us, so maybe it would turn into an even bigger trade where we add in Dillon, Stanley, Samberg or Heinola and the Kings add some more depending on who is traded. Could be a one stop shop for both teams to get exactly what they need to move forward.

I just think that what the Jets would need to get back to make it make sense for us would be young or NHL ready players to build around PLD and Perfetti with an emphasis on RHD and Right shot forwards with top 6 upside. Kings are deep in both those areas that IMO we'd be looking at, the cap works for them and it makes sense based on their team arc that the rebuild is trending ahead of schedule but they have some aging superstars that they likely want to try to get another cup out of. Scheif would be the perfect addition for them that would make them a legit cup contender.

With all that said, I'd still prefer to keep 55 and see what happens the rest of this year and potentially with a new coach if D. Lowry isn't given the permanent gig.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
I never really understood why Paul Maurice broke up the Scheiffle-Laine duo when they were absolutely killing it together.
Maybe just gossip but some speculated that Wheeler wanted to play with Scheifele and got his wish.

I never understood why Maurice didn't start playing Laine on the left. The LAP line was dominant in the WJC just before.

Laine - Scheifele - Wheeler
Ehlers - Little - Perreault
etc.

Can't remember if they gave it a try. I remember Maurice explaining why he thinks right wing works better in the long term, but I didn't really get it, in the face of that WJC performance.

Obviously this is before Connor exploded. That changed things again. Not easy being a HC...

Back to Scheifele: maybe it was simply time for good old Maurice to go and the change feels refreshing to everyone. Scheifele's on fire now, obviously. And the contract is great. A trade seems unlikely at this junction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad