Rumor: Things Not Left Unsaid 3 - Flyers Rumors and Media Mentions: Never Ending Circles

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
More of the same with Sullivan. He has not been so good at playing the youth in Pittsburgh. Not that there is a lot there, but he is like most older coaches and goes with the veterans who are low risk and low reward in the bottom six. Although he is not big on fighters so Nick D would be gone.

Pittsburgh is in a weird place right now so I think it's hard to judge. When he came up from the AHL he had no trouble using youth, and since he knew their strengths in detail already he used them to great effect.

That won't be the case here, though. So if he does use them, he won't know them as well. And maybe that knowledge and trust was necessary for him to rely on them!

What I do know is that we can't trust any hire the team makes. If a coach is saying things that these people like, that's ominous.

Solution

May 20, 2010
Cheswick, PA
Pittsburgh is in a weird place right now so I think it's hard to judge. When he came up from the AHL he had no trouble using youth, and since he knew their strengths in detail already he used them to great effect.

That won't be the case here, though. So if he does use them, he won't know them as well. And maybe that knowledge and trust was necessary for him to rely on them!

What I do know is that we can't trust any hire the team makes. If a coach is saying things that these people like, that's ominous.
That is fair. And the lack of young talent coming up the ranks is a factor, but Sullivan has shown a tendency to miscast players. He is a Torts protege so him signing there would be feasible. Just not sure the ownership group in Pittsburgh is ready to move on from him.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022

Imagine if Crosby decides he wants to move on. Then I believe the other 2 follow. They could rebuild somewhat quickly with all the assets they would acquire in said trades. Big if mind you.

Be funny to see that happen and end up in better shape than the Flyers.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Imagine if Crosby decides he wants to move on. Then I believe the other 2 follow. They could rebuild somewhat quickly with all the assets they would acquire in said trades. Big if mind you.

Be funny to see that happen and end up in better shape than the Flyers.
Big contracts for over-30 players limits how much you get back in return.
A Penguin rebuild would be a long term deal, close to a decade. Not much in the cupboard.

does Sullivan like Torts ? cuz he will be his boss
Sullivan is Tort's protege.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
so..23 ...played not even a full season of pro hockey..dicked around by the coach and you are basically ready to give up on him...and you wonder why people argue with you
I said he has a couple seasons to prove himself.
And he wasn't "dicked around" last season, he simply didn't play well.

He's starting this season on the 3rd line and the PP, it's up to him to take advantage of the opportunity and force Torts to give him more PT by producing on the ice.

Reactions: Breeze 44

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Man, what a disaster that would be from bad to worse

Worse! Sullivan is one of the better coaches in the league. It would be falling ass backwards into the first good coach since Lavi. The issue would be Tortorella upstairs with the other yahoos circle jerking to oblivion.

More of the same with Sullivan. He has not been so good at playing the youth in Pittsburgh. Not that there is a lot there

This is as understated as it gets. Penguins haven't had a player since the 2019 class play in the NHL, and that's not because guys are being held back. The last impact player they drafted to see time with the team (or at all) was Guentzel in 2013. You could argue Sprong didn't get a fair shake from 2015, but the NHL at large just doesn't like him. Not playing youth in Pittsburgh is a hypothetical. Their prospect pool has been an atrocity for a decade.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Big contracts for over-30 players limits how much you get back in return.
A Penguin rebuild would be a long term deal, close to a decade. Not much in the cupboard.

Sullivan is Tort's protege.
If the Pens traded Crosby, Malkin, and Letang that would get a lot back. All would get a 1st and then some to stock the cupboard.

They will win another cup before the Flyers do.

• Haha
Reactions: Breeze 44

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If the Pens traded Crosby, Malkin, and Letang that would get a lot back. All would get a 1st and then some to stock the cupboard.

They will win another cup before the Flyers do.
Not sure. They make a lot of money, are past their prime so few teams could afford to fit them in (rebuilding teams wouldn't be interested) or want to be saddled with their contracts.

Crosby on a 3 year deal has value,
Malkin is 38 with 2x$6.1M left
Rust is 32 with 4x$5.1M left
Rakell 31 with 4x$5M left
Karlson 34 with 3x$10M left
Letang 37 with 4x$6.1M left

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
People sure do love to hypothesize about Torts retiring & who’d replace him.

Of course Meltzer is one of those, since he is such a Frost fanboy & thinks Torts has been unfair to Frost.

Torts still has a year on his contract, loves coaching, is in the middle of his project of reshaping the team, has done a good job, has given no indications of wanting to stop coaching, & management loves him.

Much more likely he signs an extension than retires or moves to the front office next season with a year left on his contract.

Whenever Torts does leave, I imagine Brad Shaw would be first in line as successor, assuming he hasn’t been hired as the head coach elsewhere.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
i kinda feel bad for MM...everyone anointing him a superstar and all this...if he has a bad stretch or doesn't ya know..put up the numbers for a while people are gonna lose there shit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad