Rumor: Things Not Left Unsaid 3 - Flyers Rumors and Media Mentions: Never Ending Circles

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
His not signing and not being leaked was his leverage. The ‘advisor’ knows they were never going to wait out the 4 years. The Flyers only had until his season ended to do something.
No, they had another two years

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
No, they had another two years
No, they don't. They had another 2 years contractually. They had until the 2 year mark in practicality.

Suppose after 2 years, CG just says "F it, I'm already at 2 years, I'm not going to sign with anybody and just decide where I want to go after 2 more years, since I've waited this long." Then no team is giving anything without that surety.

We are all assuming that he'd want to get started earlier on his ELC - but guess what? If you wait till you are UFA, you don't need an ELC. You don't think somebody would take a shot at a 3M+ contract for a super high ranked prospect who has proven he can play vs men as well, that would be guaranteed vs a bonus laden one 2 years ago that he may or may not hit? I don't think money is a factor here, he'll make plenty regardless.

So at that point, you think we even get a Drysdale? We probably just get the 2nd round pick. For every other pick that wouldn't sign (granted: they weren't quite as high-end) nobody got anything but random draft picks. We got a high draft pick himself (yes, with questions) but Verbeek did us a solid here, IMO, in hindsight.

I see why they jumped on it.

Last edited:

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Why would a team who wants Gauthier wait two years and risk competing with the rest of the league? Why would Gauthier play out his college career and lose millions of dollars of cumulative NHL earnings? It makes zero sense that that would be a risk.

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
Why would a team who wants Gauthier wait two years and risk competing with the rest of the league? Why would Gauthier play out his college career and lose millions of dollars of cumulative NHL earnings? It makes zero sense that that would be a risk.

It's not about risk, it's about leverage. Players only sign ELCs because they are bound to do so by the CBA in the early parts of their career. He could also sign an ELC and get hurt in year 1 and just make the base of $975k, or he could think that as an UFA, with a full suite of suitors, he could get somebody to bite on a $3-$5M contract off the bat for somebody ranked highly. Would they? I don't know, but GMs have shown to be willing to do these things to lock in their player. And he'd get to pick, rather than having Danny decide which option's he'd take.

All this is to say that regardless of the money, the threat of him declaring he won't sign anywhere is far too great, even if it's just words. Then nobody offers a return - even if that "risk" doesn't actually exist - but his value tanks. As mentioned, that's a really risky game of bluff for the organization's high draft pick.

wankstifier

Jun 19, 2018
No, they don't. They had another 2 years contractually. They had until the 2 year mark in practicality.

Suppose after 2 years, CG just says "F it, I'm already at 2 years, I'm not going to sign with anybody and just decide where I want to go after 2 more years, since I've waited this long." Then no team is giving anything without that surety.

We are all assuming that he'd want to get started earlier on his ELC - but guess what? If you wait till you are UFA, you don't need an ELC. You don't think somebody would take a shot at a 3M+ contract for a super high ranked prospect who has proven he can play vs men as well, that would be guaranteed vs a bonus laden one 2 years ago that he may or may not hit? I don't think money is a factor here, he'll make plenty regardless.

So at that point, you think we even get a Drysdale? We probably just get the 2nd round pick. For every other pick that wouldn't sign (granted: they weren't quite as high-end) nobody got anything but random draft picks. We got a high draft pick himself (yes, with questions) but Verbeek did us a solid here, IMO, in hindsight.

I see why they jumped on it.
Huh? Am I missing something?

1720533254212.png

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
Huh? Am I missing something?

View attachment 893547
You are.

NCAA players become UFA after 4 years of not signing. So destination can play a role.

Yes, UFA. Not RFA.

All you get is a mid-round compensatory 2nd round pick for your troubles. This is why teams (I don't know if they're scared, but are being hesitant) with NCAA players.

Rutger McGroraty, Ryan Leonard - not signed, heading back for multiple years - at any point, they can just say, oh, that's fine, I've been here 2, 3 years, I'll just wait it out.

And it's their right to do so per the negotiated CBA, just screws over the teams.

Last edited:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Some of us spent the days after the trade pissing into the wind by saying everything the Flyers told us about the Gauthier trade made no sense. But we had the Flyers Ministry of Propaganda working overtime.

A media leak means nothing for value when 18-20 teams are already currently negotiating (timely media leaks can help trades too!). Gauthier's trade value was not going to diminish between January and June -- they waited a whopping 3 days between Gauthier's WJC and the trade. Waiting 2 more years to walk was never a threat for a player who was desperate to turn pro after his freshman year. Having 2/3 of the NHL on his trade list is evidence of that. It was not a coup to acquire Drysdale (already injured) when and how they did, simply because Bob Murray gave a thumbs up to a player in whom he had a vested interest.

As we've seen time and again, the Flyers believe in fit as a decider at the amateur level. We're beyond coincidence, even if Briere didn't foolishly admit it. They wanted a RHD and they wanted one immediately, so they got the one that was previously drafted the highest to feel better about trading an in-demand 5th overall 18 months post-draft. Shame on anyone for not being skeptical there wasn't a better value offer on January 8th (even from the Ducks, they likely turned down Zellweger+better picks), let alone in the months to come.
I really can't think of a more classic Flyers folly than rushing a trade of a blue chip asset for an injury prone RHD to help the playoff push, and then that RHD ends up only playing 24 of 42 games and also having the worst ES GF% on the defense.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
You are.

NCAA players become UFA after 4 years of not signing. Their rules are different.

Yes, UFA. Not RFA.
He is still bound by ELC rules. Just because he’s a UFA does not mean he gets a non-ELC.

This is all crazy talk anyway. Gauthier was not waiting two (and, really, three) more years to start earning an NHL wage. That’s not risk. It would be a total bluff, easily called by Briere.

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
He is still bound by ELC rules. Just because he’s a UFA does not mean he gets a non-ELC.

This is all crazy talk anyway. Gauthier was not waiting two (and, really, three) more years to start earning an NHL wage. That’s not risk. It would be a total bluff, easily called by Briere.
Got it, thanks for the clarification.

And agree with your second point. However, IMO, the threat of not signing is big enough to deal him sooner rather than later.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

It's hypothetical, but if the Flyers still held Gauthier's rights now I bet there would more than a few teams looking to trade for him, and they would be offering better than a small, injury prone RHD. I highly doubt Gauthier would want to wait till age 22 to start his NHL career. The last NCAA guy to do that was Wheeler in 2008, and there's a lot more money at stake now.

Just like with the Anaheim trade, any team trading for him would be able to know in advance that he would sign there. I think a contending team like the Rangers would have loved to add a 20 year old top forward prospect on a 3-year ELC.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Got it, thanks for the clarification.

And agree with your second point. However, IMO, the threat of not signing is big enough to deal him sooner rather than later.
I don’t disagree that there is more risk than “zero”, but I just have a hard time believing his value would have dropped materially, if at all, had they waited until the summer.

I get being itchy to get to a conclusion sooner than later, but we can observe what Gauthier’s value would be now, and it’s hard to see if being any less than Drysdale+2nd. That deal would have almost definitely still been on the table *today* if Briere had waited. And he likely could have had more options available in the offseason. I defended the trade (lukewarm) when it was made, but it’s less defensible now, and I strongly believe you could have gotten better value at the draft.

wankstifier

Jun 19, 2018
You are.

NCAA players become UFA after 4 years of not signing. So destination can play a role.

Yes, UFA. Not RFA.

All you get is a mid-round compensatory 2nd round pick for your troubles. This is why teams (I don't know if they're scared, but are being hesitant) with NCAA players.

Rutger McGroraty, Ryan Leonard - not signed, heading back for multiple years - at any point, they can just say, oh, that's fine, I've been here 2, 3 years, I'll just wait it out.

And it's their right to do so per the negotiated CBA, just screws over the teams.
Another clarification: believe this would be pick 37 in the 2027 draft

FromOyVey2Matvei

Jul 15, 2023
Philadelphia
You are wrong.

Both Briere and Jones said separately, in multiple interviews, that Cutter's unwillingness to sign started in the fall just months after he was drafted.

Briere has said he was still an assistant to Fletcher when this situation started. Jones said he first heard of it when he was still broadcasting for Comcast.

And Briere certainly never said he (and Jones) "misspoke" (in multiple interviews) about when this started with Cutter.
No, you are wrong.

Literally everything that came out about this indicates that there were no issues between the team and Cutter as of when his college season ended in 2023. The team had a meeting with Cutter and his agent to discuss the future. They were all talking at that point (March 2023). Something clearly happened in that meeting (ie a difference of opinions about turning pro and burning a year off the ELC) and shortly after the World Championships in May of 2023, Cutter’s agent informed the team he wanted a trade and would not be having any further contact with the Flyers FO.

Your statement that he was unwilling to sign months after the draft is both WRONG and shows a serious lack of understanding as to how prospects going the college route are handled. He can’t sign a contract until he’s 100% done with college (because NCAA amateur rules), and he was never going to go straight to the pros, so that wouldn’t have even been discussed.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
His leverage is that he refuses to sign and just goes to UFA in 2 years and decides to deliberately f*** the Flyers over. The reason they were apt to move him when they did was because they didn’t want to get out. If he doesn’t sign before the end of this season, then everyone knows.

The 2nd wasn’t insurance, they needed that as part of the deal. Drysdale wasn’t worth a 1st on his own in the moment, but he is if this works.
It's amazing to me that people don't understand this. Or, probably better stated, choose not to understand it.

Cutter wasn't going to sign. He was clear on it. He refused to talk to them.

The longer it goes on, the more everyone knows it and the more his value drops. And supposedly there were already teams who simply weren't interested because they didn't think he'd sign with them, either.

The Flyers cashed in when he was coming off a big WJC and realized his value would only go down from there. They had a bad situation and did what they could. They had been discussing trades with teams since at least the 2023 draft.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
No, you are wrong.

Literally everything that came out about this indicates that there were no issues between the team and Cutter as of when his college season ended in 2023. The team had a meeting with Cutter and his agent to discuss the future. They were all talking at that point (March 2023). Something clearly happened in that meeting (ie a difference of opinions about turning pro and burning a year off the ELC) and shortly after the World Championships in May of 2023, Cutter’s agent informed the team he wanted a trade and would not be having any further contact with the Flyers FO.

Your statement that he was unwilling to sign months after the draft is both WRONG and shows a serious lack of understanding as to how prospects going the college route are handled. He can’t sign a contract until he’s 100% done with college (because NCAA amateur rules), and he was never going to go straight to the pros, so that wouldn’t have even been discussed.

It’s also an assumption that it came down to a contract issue. Personally think that’s too simple, but only speculation.

If an “outsider” like myself can easily identify the issues around the way the Flyers have been run for years, if casual hockey fans of other teams can say things like “what are they doing” (which is what I hear most up here) - it’s easy to assume Gauthier can have doubts himself.

The Flyers are only a premier franchise in the minds if the alumni that run the team. Trust that.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
No, you are wrong.

Well, obviously not "literally everything" indicates there were no issues between the team and Cutter until Spring 2023, considering both Briere and Jones have said this dates back to just months after Cutter was drafted and when Jones was a broadcaster and Briere was an assistant.

It's not my fault you haven't listened carefully to interviews with Jones and Briere.

FromOyVey2Matvei

Jul 15, 2023
Philadelphia
His not signing and not being leaked was his leverage. The ‘advisor’ knows they were never going to wait out the 4 years. The Flyers only had until his season ended to do something.
That’s not leverage at all. Unless you’re a weak and inexperienced front office (like the Flyers)

The Jets situation with McGroarty leaked. Do you see the Jets panicking and rushing into a bad trade? Nope.

The dispute was allegedly about money. Who in their right mind thinks a kid who’s mad about a money situation is going to wait another 2 years and cost himself more $ just out of spite?

The Flyers had a choice to either live in the uncomfortableness ala another Philly GM Daryl Morey and his standoff with Ben Simmons or to make this weak trade. They chose the weak trade.

That’s super disappointing. The only way it would be more disappointing is if they actually thought extremely highly of Drysdale and thought this was close to fair value.

FromOyVey2Matvei

Jul 15, 2023
Philadelphia
Well, obviously not "literally everything" indicates there were no issues between the team and Cutter until Spring 2023, considering both Briere and Jones have said this dates back to just months after Cutter was drafted and when Jones was a broadcaster and Briere was an assistant.

It's not my fault you haven't listened carefully to interviews with Jones and Briere.
Remember what I said about you burying your head in the sand? Yeah… pretty much that’s what’s playing out here.

This was the biggest Flyers story of the season. It was covered by 20+ local outlets/writers, 15+ national outlets/writers. I think it speaks volumes that not a single one of them cites the timeline you believe you heard in some mythical Briere/Jones interview. I think it also speaks volumes that everyone universally agrees that Cutter and his agent had a call with the Flyers in March 2023 (both still speaking to the org) and then his agent told them he was cutting off contact and refusing to sign in May of 2023.

Could there have been issues festering before that? Of course. But it’s pretty clear when things escalated.

I’m not going to go listen to hours of Briere and Jones interviews to try and prove your “grassy knoll” theory wrong though, so enjoy burying your head in that knoll. The Flyers FO did nothing wrong. They never do anything wrong. Just terrible luck that they drafted an awful person who decided to ghost them for sport.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
I really can't think of a more classic Flyers folly than rushing a trade of a blue chip asset for an injury prone RHD to help the playoff push, and then that RHD ends up only playing 24 of 42 games and also having the worst ES GF% on the defense.

every single time..

whatever the move is.. its always the worst one.

#darkesttimeline

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I was unaware of the details of the lost wages and bait-and-switch that you and others are alluding to. If that is the case, then yes, the kid has every right to feel scorned. But, as a 19-year-old, if a USA legend like LeClair wanted to come to speak to me face-to-face, I'd take the high road and do it... there's nothing to lose.

That said, there does seem to still be an arrogance within the organization that could easily rub players the wrong way, the same way it has with the fans, especially the die-hard lifers.

Once I realized Hextall was incompetent, he was dead to me. Fletcher, I despised since day one. Briere, I was (and I'm still) hoping for the best. When he took Michkov I took the bait. Then it turned suspect. This draft was another confirmation we've probably all been duped again. Unless they pull some miracle out of their arses and land Draisaitl, Kaprizov, or trade for an elite talent like Elias Pettersson in an unexpected deal.

I mean, who is LeClair to a kid with zero memory of his career? Just a stranger. It's not like a top-10 draft pick will be lacking for NHL figures in his life. His dad saw the NHL. The mystique isn't gonna be there like it might be for us

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
I may or may not be starting a lil blog type thing to document counternarratives to the bullshit the franchise and the beats push, and that site may or may not be called "Broad Street Brain Rot," and the first piece may or may not be called "Cutter Gauthier and the New Era of Gaslighting," and I may or may not be working on it this week, so if you have any interesting nuggets I may or may not have missed from what has been publicly reported, you may or may not be welcome to post them or DM me about it.

iceman42

May 7, 2003
Enfield, NH
The NHL could help a lot of teams out by adding 1 year post NCAA unless the team releases them. I still think the threat of a player sticking it out for 4 years might cause some pause but not as much as if they lost their rights for nothing.

However with NIL on the horizon for college hockey, nowhere near the level of college football, might throw another item into the conversation, see Jimmy Snuggerud getting an incentive package to go back to Minnesota instead of signing with the Blues.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad