Rumor: Things Not Left Unsaid 3 - Flyers Rumors and Media Mentions: Never Ending Circles

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
The Flyers media machine tried to blame him for Fletcher's incompetence and then the team didn't even consider bringing him back when he wanted to as part of their spiteful shitty little feud.

I guess you actually have forgotten

Didn't the Flyers also fail to acknowledge Giroux hitting one thousand points or a major milestone of that ilk?

Boxscore

Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
For a team that blathers on and on about being a family and such, they’ve pulled a ton of b.s. moves since the end of the Keith Allen era:
Clarke trading McCrimmon over a minor contract dispute
Stripping the captaincy from Poulin in 1988
Clarke’s handling of Neilson’s cancer diagnosis
The Lindros mess
Clarke mailing it in during the 2006 offseason
The way they jerked Holmgren around before finally making him the permanent GM in 2007
The way they treated Simon Gagne after the 09-10 season
The whole “dry island” thing
Keeping Lavi after 12-13 only to fire him 3 games into the following season
Hextall using an assistant coach to spy on the players
The way AV treated Ghost & Jake
The general disregard of Giroux during his final season
The way the powers that be allow Torts to constantly disrespect players with petty moves like scratching them in their hometown or for way too many consecutive games and allowing the coach’s blatant double standards and playing of favorites.
This is a great post. Only the "Lindros mess" and "Dry Island" are debatable regarding blame. However, the Flyers mishandled the narrative in both cases. Everything else is spot on. Trading McCrimmon was outrageous.

As for this regime, they better hope Michkov turns into Ovechkin or prime Mogilny.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
Again, that was just Fletcher being incompetent as a GM unable to make the salary cap work. Giroux bought a house in Ottawa before he even left the Panthers. I don't think him returning was ever in the cards.
Giroux is from Ottawa and lived there in the off-season when he was a Flyer. He was likely buying that house regardless.

The reports were that Giroux wanted to re-sign with the Flyers that off-season and told Fletcher he would accept trades to other teams (aside from FLA and COL) if he was brought back. Fletcher said no, and in turn used that cap space for Ristolainen and Deslauriers.

CerpinTaxt

Apr 1, 2009
KY
Giroux is from Ottawa and lived there in the off-season when he was a Flyer. He was likely buying that house regardless.

The reports were that Giroux wanted to re-sign with the Flyers that off-season and told Fletcher he would accept trades to other teams (aside from FLA and COL) if he was brought back. Fletcher said no, and in turn used that cap space for Ristolainen and Deslauriers.
Dude was willing to ride the mediocrity to be a lifelong Flyer and the org said no. Probably didn't want him to be the teams all time scoring leader (Clarke says hello)

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
I feel bad but there is this part of me deep inside that wants him to fail so it blows up in their face for not having more around him

Boocowski

Mar 31, 2024
Man, they’ve been milking Michkov for well over a year. Imagine if he didn’t fall to them, the Flyers would have exactly zero to get excited about.
That's a really cynical way of spinning it. They plan a rebuild around a new superstar so when they get the guy to come over earlier than originally anticipated you don't see that as a success, you say they are "milking it".
What organization does not milk the arrival of a new superstar? I get Flyers fan cynicism but this is a whole new level. I'm fine to dump on them for mistakes and things they do wrong but they got this one right and we will see the benefits of that for the next decade or more.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
my only concern isnt about MM being a star! its how this Org. is going to want to change whats made him a star.

i dont believe for a second they will allow him to play to his strengths...Torts will 100% not allow some fresh snotnosed kid to steal his thunder

• Love
Reactions: Amorgus

Audible Velvet

Jul 9, 2015
Philthadelphia
That's a really cynical way of spinning it. They plan a rebuild around a new superstar so when they get the guy to come over earlier than originally anticipated you don't see that as a success, you say they are "milking it".
What organization does not milk the arrival of a new superstar? I get Flyers fan cynicism but this is a whole new level. I'm fine to dump on them for mistakes and things they do wrong but they got this one right and we will see the benefits of that for the next decade or more.
Do you feel like they’re well prepared for his arrival? The moves since drafting him and the pieces in place?

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville
WOW! Is there any more negatives you guys can dig up?
iJJ7Q5tzhyU1IwZI3E.gif

Tarpongg

#fakerebuild #cutterwasright
May 26, 2012
Cynical? Yes, beyond cynical…

What rebuild? What planning? Lol, thankfully Michkov fell into their lap, and they’ve done nothing to acquire dynamic young talent to join him, so the entire thing rests on his shoulders. They even punted on this last draft because it wasn’t good enough for them.

I am excited for Michkov- he’s the only reason I’m interested in next season. At the same time I find it embarassing and depressing that entering year 3 of this fake rebuild, reporting on his every move is the only positive thing the PR department has to obsess on… Beyond resigning their 32 yo mutts, one after the other.

Boocowski

Mar 31, 2024
Do you feel like they’re well prepared for his arrival? The moves since drafting him and the pieces in place?
Well prepared? How prepared do they have to be? He will be the center of attention which no doubt he wants. His arrival is like day 1. Presumably you expect improvement from that on a constant basis.

I'm not sure what you expected them to do with the cap they have and the lack of talent to trade. I'm fine with people who want to blame them for Gauthier, but everything else is pretty much the hold over from what they inherited. Maybe Briere and Jones haven't done enough for you, but I don't see any big new errors either.

Cynical? Yes, beyond cynical…

What rebuild? What planning? Lol, thankfully Michkov fell into their lap, and they’ve done nothing to acquire dynamic young talent to join him, so the entire thing rests on his shoulders. They even punted on this last draft because it wasn’t good enough for them.

I am excited for Michkov- he’s the only reason I’m interested in next season. At the same time I find it embarassing and depressing that entering year 3 of this fake rebuild, reporting on his every move is the only positive thing the PR department has to obsess on… Beyond resigning their 32 yo mutts, one after the other.
I understand the cynicism but 3 years? Briere hasn't even had the job that long. I'm not as pessimistic. We shall see what happens now and how fast Michkov assimilates and develops.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
I'm not sure what you expected them to do with the cap they have and the lack of talent to trade. I'm fine with people who want to blame them for Gauthier, but everything else is pretty much the hold over from what they inherited. Maybe Briere and Jones haven't done enough for you, but I don't see any big new errors either.
they had talent to trade..they refused...TK, Seeler, Laughton...they should have all been moved..they chose not to..the cap situation is also their own doing

Boocowski

Mar 31, 2024
they had talent to trade..they refused...TK, Seeler, Laughton...they should have all been moved..they chose not to..the cap situation is also their own doing
So you wanted them to move out the existing talent to bring in future talent and that makes us what. better? Better for Michkov? I don't see how that works. Not sure he wants to be on a bottom team. We might still end up being one, but a complete tear down wouldn't exactly surround Michkov with talent, it'll just make things take even longer.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
my only concern isnt about MM being a star! its how this Org. is going to want to change whats made him a star.

i dont believe for a second they will allow him to play to his strengths...Torts will 100% not allow some fresh snotnosed kid to steal his thunder

He didn't do it to Panarin, why will he do it to Michkov? I mean when Panarin came to Columbus, most fans were sure he would fail without Kane or at the very best going to be just another top6 skilled winger, absolutely useless without scoring points. And he became a franchize player. All while being coached by Torts...

HeadLiceHatty

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
When you get a can't miss forward prospect like Michkov, the team is guaranteed to be good in a few years. Like with Eichel in Buffalo who were... last in the NHL during his time there.

To be fair the Sabre’s might actually be worse run than the Flyers lol. Also, as great as a prospect as Eichel was the only appeal he has over Michkov as a prospect is that he’s a center, Michkov is a better prospect, it’s rather close ish though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad