Around the League

Status
Not open for further replies.

minimal

Apr 12, 2024
The Athletic ($) has a ranking of goalie prospects. Jesper Wallstedt is ranked #1 with Sebastian Cossa ranked #7 and Trey Augustine ranked #8. Hakan Andersson has famously said he doesn't know how to judge goaltenders, but consensus for that 2021 draft was that Wallstedt was the top goalie available. We obviously traded up to draft Cossa instead.

Hopefully it works out, but it's yet another sign our North American scouting is pretty bad. I give credit to Yzerman and Draper for relying so heavily on our Euro scouting with some of our best draft picks, but if Wallstedt turns out to be a great goalie this one is going to sting.
I think it's best to not dump on our NA scouting and Cossa on account of a Wheeler goalie ranking. There's plenty of other potential examples you can point to, but Cossa is most definitely not one of them.

Reactions: RabidBadger

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
The Athletic ($) has a ranking of goalie prospects. Jesper Wallstedt is ranked #1 with Sebastian Cossa ranked #7 and Trey Augustine ranked #8. Hakan Andersson has famously said he doesn't know how to judge goaltenders, but consensus for that 2021 draft was that Wallstedt was the top goalie available. We obviously traded up to draft Cossa instead.

Hopefully it works out, but it's yet another sign our North American scouting is pretty bad. I give credit to Yzerman and Draper for relying so heavily on our Euro scouting with some of our best draft picks, but if Wallstedt turns out to be a great goalie this one is going to sting.
I am confused about Trey as this was the comment: "While he’s not big for a goalie (he's listed at 6-foot-1 and 179 pounds), he’s a goalie I have a ton of confidence in projecting to have a good pro career. He doesn’t have obvious starter talent or size, but I could see him getting there (or at the very least becoming a solid, reliable tandem goalie). I’d trust him to play for my team and remain even-keeled any day."

The amount of whiplash I got from that. For any goalie prospect, I don't know many that had a better year than Trey did. He had a great season at State, crushed it at the WJC, and played very well at the World Championships...as a 19 year old!

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Here is an interesting rumor.
I'd do this trade in a heartbeat. Armia has only 1 year left, where Holl has 2. And Armia would be sitting in stands most nights, and if Evans is even half as good as the article says, he is way more useful than Veleno. Who doesn't bring anything to the line up.

DeBrincat - Larkin - Raymond
Berggren - Compher - Kane
Rasmussen - Copp - Tarasenko
Motte - Evans - Fischer
Armia

Chiarot - Seider
Edvinsson - Petry
Gustafsson - Johansson
Määttä

Talbot
Lyon
Husso

PP1:
----------Tarasenko----------
DeBrincat---Larkin---Kane
-----------Seider----------
PP2:
-----------Rasmussen/Copp---------
Raymond---Compher---Berggren
----------Gustafsson----------

PK
Copp-Motte
Compher/Evans-Rasmussen
Compher/Evans-Fischer

Much better balance and we can have Larkin off the PK units, so he can rest those moments. Except in the final minute PK.

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
Wouldn't the Wings need to wait until after Veleno's arb hearing? Aren't they needing that buyout window from that?

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish

I'm okay with that. If Wallstedt goes on to be dominant in Minnesota so be it. That franchise has been the place where championship dreams go to die.

It's all about the team. Hence, Darcy Keumper has a championship ring while Carey Price and Henrik Lundquist, two of the greatest of the modern era, do not.

Reactions: odin1981

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Sprong signed with Vancouver for 975k.

Meanwhile, Detroit signed Motte and Fischer for about 2 mil and their production combined is still lower than Sprong.

Ugh.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Sprong signed with Vancouver for 975k.

Meanwhile, Detroit signed Motte and Fischer for about 2 mil and their production combined is still lower than Sprong.

Ugh.

It's almost like guys get paid for different jobs.

The fact that 27-year-old Sprong can have good offensive production and barely makes league minimum on a one year deal is indicative of his shortcomings and narrow role.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
It's almost like guys get paid for different jobs.

The fact that 27-year-old Sprong can have good offensive production and barely makes league minimum on a one year deal is indicative of his shortcomings and narrow role.
Fair. But it's not like the skill sets (and level of execution) of Motte and Fischer are providing great value in their respective deals.

Both can be anti-realgud.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Do you think Detroit will give up 274 or more goals during the 2024-25 season?

i'd take the under but I think people are really underrating how realistic the over is

the defense isn't exactly inspiring as it is and Seider carried it a lot and played 82 games last year, he's been an ironman so far in his career but he's gonna miss games at some point

Petry is gonna be 37 not long after the season starts and Chiarot is 33, they could easily get worse and they aren't exactly great to begin with

Reactions: Oddbob

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Former scout and Director of scouting Josef Boumedienne was released from Columbus.

I've kept him for years as a great scout. When Kekäläinen was fired, I expected him to get a promotion. But, they blocked him and changed the role for coaching / pro-scouting.

So, when they don't see any role for him at Columbus, hope Yzerman will sign him to strengthen our scouting staff /management.

Guy is half-finnish half-swedish, speaks fluently both languages (and of course english after 16 NA years), has had connections for all Finnish Top3 Champs and has worked at multiple positions and played in 7 different hockey countries.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
I'm not seeing anything in his body of work that screams must hire. Am I missing something?
He was the Dir. of European Scouting from 2016 to 2021. Looks like his biggest gets were:
Alexandre Texier
Daniil Tarasov
Emil Bemstrom
Kirill Marchenko
Dmitry Voronkov
Yegor Chinakhov

My man loves the Russians, eh?

jaster

7/16" hollow or bust
Jun 8, 2007
Fischer > Sprong

and

Motte > Sprong

so, therefor, we can safely conclude

Fischer + Motte > Sprong

Sprong sucks. An absolute brutal hockey player. Good riddance. Happy to have Fischer and Motte as good 4th-line staples. Berggren takes Sprong’s spot and I hope to god is an upgrade.

Reactions: Ed Ned and Leddy

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Fischer > Sprong

and

Motte > Sprong

so, therefor, we can safely conclude

Fischer + Motte > Sprong

Sprong sucks. An absolute brutal hockey player. Good riddance. Happy to have Fischer and Motte as good 4th-line staples. Berggren takes Sprong’s spot and I hope to god is an upgrade.
Are you part of the nefarious goalie cadre?

• Wow
Reactions: jaster
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad