Rumor: Things Not Left Unsaid 2, More Flyers Rumors & Media Mentions: Say It Like You Mean It

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
Torts 100% has a huge say at the NHL level decisions. Not sure how anyone can argue that.

The initial premise was about the Flyers drafting.

Either Tortorella doesn't have a say in the Flyers drafting (Good?), or Tortorella does have a say in the Flyers drafting (Wow, Tortorella values undersized, dynamic, Russian wingers. Who knew?)

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
The initial premise was about the Flyers drafting.

Either Tortorella doesn't have a say in the Flyers drafting (Good?), or Tortorella does have a say in the Flyers drafting (Wow, Tortorella values undersized, dynamic, Russian wingers. Who knew?)
I do not think he has a say in drafting. What I do think he does is give his opinion on the kind of players he likes, what traits to look for, and the like.

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
I do not think he has a say in drafting. What I do think he does is give his opinion on the kind of players he likes, what traits to look for, and the like.

Sure. And either Briere/Jones disregarded his input on how to build a team with the team's most consequential draft pick in 30+ years, or his input agreed that he values Michkov types.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Tortorella is still largely a backward-thinking egomaniac, but I also think his philosophy has clearly evolved over time too. Not necessarily in a better or worse direction. He can both be stupid and also stupid in ways that are different than he originally was.

ponder719

M-M-M-Matvei and the Jett
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Sure. And either Briere/Jones disregarded his input on how to build a team with the team's most consequential draft pick in 30+ years, or his input agreed that he values Michkov types.
Or he doesn’t value Michkov types in general, but recognizes that in this one exceptional case, the talent is too great to ignore in favor of his preferences. There are absolutely answers available beyond the binary you’ve presented here.

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
Or he doesn’t value Michkov types in general, but recognizes that in this one exceptional case, the talent is too great to ignore in favor of his preferences. There are absolutely answers available beyond the binary you’ve presented here.

There has been discourse around Tortorella knocking Connor McDavid’s style of play, so if he wasn’t an exception, I’m not sure what would have changed with Michkov

Boocowski

Mar 31, 2024
Tortorella is still largely a backward-thinking egomaniac, but I also think his philosophy has clearly evolved over time too. Not necessarily in a better or worse direction. He can both be stupid and also stupid in ways that are different than he originally was.
The backwards thinking stuff is a matter of opinion and preference I think. You can argue that Florida is built on backward thinking too and they are in the final (although choking to the forward(?) thinking maybe). Hockey hasn't changed as much as some people like to pretend.

I really don't think Torts is any more of an egomaniac than any other successful NHLer, be that player, coach or GM. I just think he's blatantly honest and just doesn't give a f#ck what people think about him. No fake or phony with him and I've always liked that.

He's a good hockey mind and a good coach. Can that blatant honesty work with the modern generation of post millennial players that's harder to answer. If he fails, maybe he can join the cast for season 4 of Shorsey.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Yes, the use of the team's first lottery pick under a new GM as the centerpiece of a rebuild and organizational direction is far more indicative of team process and philosophy than bottom 6 signings and 7th round picks.
Not necessarily. We know from drafting history that there is a committee approach. I was happily surprised that Briere drafted Michkov and all the issues around his availability and his style of play, but my thinking is that these types of players are only available early in the first round. Draft strategy is measured by both quality and quantity. Hunter MacDonald types can be found in multiple places throughout the later rounds.

Don't forget, too, that the Flyers arranged to have an in-depth conversation with Michkov away from the usual pre-draft setting. Perhaps a high agenda item was to let Tortorella develop a feel for Michkov so he would be on board with, or at least not object to, selecting him with the 7OA.

Reactions: kudymen

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The Flyers went out of their way to court and select a Michigan-scoring, KHL-contracted, undersized Russian winger instead of Ryan Leonard, a prototypical hockey man's choice and born-to-be Flyer.

If that wasn't proof that Tortorella has no say on the team's drafting, then nothing will be.

Yeah I think Tortorella would rather die than care about the draft. I'm not worried about his influence there. Flahr is the problem.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

The AV method of evolution as prompted by poking from Flyers management.

"Oh you want me to shift to a safer system? Got it. Dmen will be on their own for breakouts, forwards will still sprint up ice for stretch passes. When they get the passes they'll dump in at the blue line and I'll only send one forechecker. Evolution complete!"

In all my years of watching a team I don't believe we've ever seen a coach so comprehensively destroy a team's scheme in every aspect of the game while applying deliberate thought to it, and then just leaving it and giving up when it naturally didn't work. In terms of planning, I think AV's final form was the most grotesque. He became different and also worse in all ways, and I didn't think he was good to begin with.

• Haha
Reactions: Rebels57

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
Michkov is only a no-brainer if Michkov is the type of player that the Flyers value and want to target.
To be fair, for a team not to want a potential 90-100 point winger would be incredibly stupid of them, to the point you are a laughing stock and should probably close the franchise down.

Like, what team does not want the potential player Michkov could be? How stupid of a team would that be?

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
Yeah should have just kept him and let him walk for nothing. Complaining about eh Giroux deal is way way down the list of things to complain about. Doesn't even make the complaint list really.
Agreed. Plus no mention of Tippet and I believe the pick they used on Barkey? When the player told you the 1 team he would go to that return isn’t bad.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I wouldn’t mind ejecting on Drysdale assuming you can get good value. Maybe he turns out useful one day but the results thus far in his career have not been good. I understand the caveats with playing too soon in the NHL & injuries but even in less than ideal circumstances players have shown something to hang their hat on. Drysdale is essentially living off draft position & that fact his teams have pumped him with noteworthy ice time/usage despite losing that matchups along the way.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
I wouldn’t mind ejecting on Drysdale assuming you can get good value. Maybe he turns out useful one day but the results thus far in his career have not been good. I understand the caveats with playing too soon in the NHL & injuries but even in less than ideal circumstances players have shown something to hang their hat on. Drysdale is essentially living off draft position & that fact his teams have pumped him with noteworthy ice time/usage despite losing that matchups along the way.
What's good value? A 2nd?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad