They're back!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
you are forgetting rule #3

A man can't stand, he can't skate.

A man can't see, he can't skate.

A man can't breathe, he can't skate.

As Miss Manners once said, condemning face-slapping doesn't mean you're advocating shin-kicking.

Foot guards are great. (So are Kevlar socks, BTW, and I'd mandate those if I ran a team.) But if you're going to protect your feet with some plastic, neglecting to do the same for your eyeballs is senseless.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
According to Amalie Benjamin, Söderberg and Fraser make their first appearances at informals. Z, Loui and Bergeron back today after missing today.

Benjamin also mentioned this;

Is there some sort of concrete reason as to why those three *can't* be there that I'm missing?

I mean I understand the vets with logistics, their own training scheuldes ect.....but if I'm a rookie looking to make the impression on the team, the players and the organization, I'd be there before the doors open.

IMO, of course.

I'm pretty sure one of the three she mentioned is skating with another team. Money wise, for a rookie, probably easier to skate with players closer to home. They don't make the millions the vets make to be able to pay all the expenses.

As for making an impression with the brass: who are they going to impress? Coaches aren't there. Management isn't there. It's hard to impress the decision makers with your on ice abilities when they aren't there to watch.

I'd be more concerned if they weren't skating anywhere.

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston
I'm pretty sure one of the three she mentioned is skating with another team. Money wise, for a rookie, probably easier to skate with players closer to home. They don't make the millions the vets make to be able to pay all the expenses.

As for making an impression with the bra

ss: who are they going to impress? Coaches aren't there. Management isn't there. It's hard to impress the decision makers with your on ice abilities when they aren't there to watch.

I'd be more concerned if they weren't skating anywhere.

They definitely should all be skating somewhere but you would think skating with the big club would help them feel more comfortable and gain little bit of chemistry with the guys they want to play with.... I would think they would want to show they are willing to do whatever it takes to make the big club. But I may be over valuing these skates...

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
They definitely should all be skating somewhere but you would think skating with the big club would help them feel more comfortable and gain little bit of chemistry with the guys they want to play with.... I would think they would want to show they are willing to do whatever it takes to make the big club. But I may be over valuing these skates...

Per Twitter, Reilly Smith was working out at a camp at Miami of Ohio (his alma mater) and Mitch Dempsey was playing in a hockey tourney, just to name two. Everyone is working out right now.

disfigured

Mar 29, 2003
Lowell MA
All trade/cap speculation aside.........

My wife pointed out the teaser on the newscast, which I already knew about ;). And I didn't get my normal feeling as this thread suggests. That, slap your hands together and rub them saying "all right here we go". Remove the exclamation point from the thread title and that's more how I feel.

Sort of...... "meh".

I don't know if it's the frustration from SC final departure 2 years ago combined with being knocked off by the Habs last year, but I'm just not feeling it as intensely. I get the sinking feeling we're on the downside of a bell curve. It's not as if I haven't "lived" through these periods, having missed only a handful of games over the last twenty plus years. It's more like I don't know if I have the wherewithal if things don't pan out well. Sure I could watch less games, but to me watching every single game of a season is important. You learn just as much about a team and its players watching them fail as you do watching them succeed. You learn what a player is like watching the last 10 minutes of blow out (either for or against).

Anyone else getting that same malaise about this season?

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Per Twitter, Reilly Smith was working out at a camp at Miami of Ohio (his alma mater) and Mitch Dempsey was playing in a hockey tourney, just to name two. Everyone is working out right now.

Yes, Krug from what I hear is looking great but dont think he is there- a few others are skating and working out back home doing the Yandle thing- with other NHLers where they can do more than just informal skate and then go bowling and to Sox games

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Krejci, Marchand, Svedberg, Camara and Casto at practice today. Pastrnak reportedly has not fainted. Yet.

Per Bruins tweet, Krejci, Eriksson and Lucic doing line rushes. :)

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen

I think the GM should show them he wants them on the team first instead of wasting away cap space on Caron and Bartkowski.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I understand why the Bruins would try Loui on that line, but in the past they've always sought a shoot-first right-handed winger for that line. Now obviously losing Iginla and lacking the dough to sign one is the real issue here, but why aren't guys like Smith and Gagne the likely replacements here?

Loui has been the subject of criticism and defense since he got here so we all know the board is divided a bit on that. But can't most of us agree that if anything, he proved he will pass up good chances, and his shot is something less than hard and/or deadly? Soft hands, good vision, decent breakaway finish? Sure, he passes the test for most on those. But one-timers from the slot? I can think of countless guys I'd rather see in that spot before him.

So if Krejci is my best playmaker (and he is), I give him my best pure scorer on that wing. Gun to my head I guess that's Smith, so I'd try him first. Put Loui with Bergy or keep him with Soderberg, that's my vote.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I understand why the Bruins would try Loui on that line, but in the past they've always sought a shoot-first right-handed winger for that line. Now obviously losing Iginla and lacking the dough to sign one is the real issue here, but why aren't guys like Smith and Gagne the likely replacements here?

Loui has been the subject of criticism and defense since he got here so we all know the board is divided a bit on that. But can't most of us agree that if anything, he proved he will pass up good chances, and his shot is something less than hard and/or deadly? Soft hands, good vision, decent breakaway finish? Sure, he passes the test for most on those. But one-timers from the slot? I can think of countless guys I'd rather see in that spot before him.

So if Krejci is my best playmaker (and he is), I give him my best pure scorer on that wing. Gun to my head I guess that's Smith, so I'd try him first. Put Loui with Bergy or keep him with Soderberg, that's my vote.

Smith is not really a shoot first guy either, though. Krejci had instant chemistry with Miro Satan in 2010 and I think Loui is stylistically similar but a better player overall. I think Lucic, Krejci, and Loui will be fine, but at least one of them will have to adjust and be more willing to shoot.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Smith is not really a shoot first guy either, though. Krejci had instant chemistry with Miro Satan in 2010 and I think Loui is stylistically similar but a better player overall. I think Lucic, Krejci, and Loui will be fine, but at least one of them will have to adjust and be more willing to shoot.

Krejci actually mentioned that yesterday in his press availability, saying that Eriksson is such a good passer that it'll make him (Krejci) want to shoot more.

I think they'll be just fine together.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site

Whether it's shooting first or whatever it is, I'm of the mind that the two players on this team who get the best chances to score, consistently, are the two guys playing with David Krejci. Now obviously Krejci's ability to create chances is influended by his linemates, and you can't argue Lucic creating space and possessing the puck is huge. But ultimately Krejci is a playmaker and I'm not sure he'll be able to turn himself into a shooter, a la Adam Oates when Neely went down. So he's going to be setting up Loui for chances, more good chances than probably anyone on this team will see. And I'm just concerned because despite the fact I like Loui, he was horrible at finishing chances last year. Just downright terrible. So he better find a way to improve in that area this year as I'm not interested in watchign these guys play Harlem Globetrotters out there and produce nothing. I think that's a pretty reasonable concern too.

I guess the long and short of what I'm saying is that if any of the other wingers get hot at any point, and Loui isn't vastly improved, I want to see more juggling than I've seen from Claude in the past. Fact is Loui looked pretty good with CS at the end of the year, and if that ends up being a pair again, worse things could happen.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
this is the problem the bruins will have this year...they dont have any shooters. loui is a pass first guy, same with krejci, same with bergie...marchand, lucic and smith all shoot, but not exactly snipers, they just shoot, and hope it misses the goalie.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
All trade/cap speculation aside.........

My wife pointed out the teaser on the newscast, which I already knew about ;). And I didn't get my normal feeling as this thread suggests. That, slap your hands together and rub them saying "all right here we go". Remove the exclamation point from the thread title and that's more how I feel.

Sort of...... "meh".

I don't know if it's the frustration from SC final departure 2 years ago combined with being knocked off by the Habs last year, but I'm just not feeling it as intensely. I get the sinking feeling we're on the downside of a bell curve. It's not as if I haven't "lived" through these periods, having missed only a handful of games over the last twenty plus years. It's more like I don't know if I have the wherewithal if things don't pan out well. Sure I could watch less games, but to me watching every single game of a season is important. You learn just as much about a team and its players watching them fail as you do watching them succeed. You learn what a player is like watching the last 10 minutes of blow out (either for or against).

Anyone else getting that same malaise about this season?

I can relate to this. I'm a pretty optimistic fan about this team but admittedly I haven't been as amped up as usual.

Last year kind of felt like THE year, you know?
We went out and made the strongest paper roster this team has had in a while, the consequences of which are being paid for this season.
And then the team blows it and gets an early exit at the hands of the worst team to do it.
It takes it's toll as a fan, or at least it did to me.

I'm excited to see them play but the truth is this roster doesn't scream Stanley Cup Champions to me right now. And that's before we potentially lose Boychuk.
But the 2010-2011 roster didn't either and that's what I remind myself.

I remember after the 2010 collapse feeling pretty poorly about how mentally weak the team was and wondering how they were gonna recover from that choke job.
It's not far off of how I feel going into this season. I've got more faith in our core than I did back then but the urgency is so much stronger.

I feel like we're watching teams around us get stronger and we're struggling to stay as strong.
On paper at least, we are icing a weaker roster and hoping for better results.
We're taking a serious gamble with Eriksson on the top line and I say that as someone who supports him quite a bit.
I think it's gonna work out but if it doesn't, oh man. We're in some trouble.

But hockey's a funny thing and ultimately you just have to wait and see how things shake out.
The 2012-2013 team to me did not look like one that was gonna be in the finals either but good or bad, this team does surprise you.
If things go right for us and Chiarelli can have a stong deadline this team can absolutely have a another run at it.

Or it could be another lost year like 2012.
The problem with that is that we are a year removed from a controversial "win now" trade and with our cup window closing that prospect is hard to accept.

qc

Aug 23, 2011
Hoping for this segment when we go to the '15 cup finals...

"My name is David Pastrnak. My favorite player growing up was David Krejci."

"My name is David Krejci. My favorite player growing up was David Krejci."

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
The Bruins projected point total this year is 112.5 the highest in the league

Seems pretty high. They were one of the most consistent teams ever last year, and I really doubt they can do that again. I'm thinking something around 105.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad