They're back!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
He was my first round pick in the SIM league so if he makes it first year I'll be pretty happy; has a lot of the Rick Middleton flair

I still cant believe he went 25th- a redo he goes top 10.:laugh: You don't get first liners for teams picked in Vegas to win the Cup at 25.

I can't believe it either. Honestly. I think the concussion must have been why he fell.

This is from Patrice Bergeron after yesterday's practice...

"He's very fast, skilled, he battles hard,” said Bergeron. “I know it's early, but he seems to be really hard on the puck and wants it, so you know, it's great to have, he seems to be a great player."

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
I love Pastrnak's potential but if he is truly inline to win a first line job that kinda speaks more about the Bruins then it does him.

Not sure I agree with that 100%.

I mean, Julien hasn't really ever given a rookie top line minutes unless he's earned it.

In the past, guys like Seguin, Kessel, Marchand, Smith all started the year as bottom 6 forwards and made there way up.

member 96824

Not sure I agree with that 100%.

I mean, Julien hasn't really ever given a rookie top line minutes unless he's earned it.

In the past, guys like Seguin, Kessel, Marchand, Smith all started the year as bottom 6 forwards and made there way up.

Marchand, Smith, and Seguin had legit top 6ers ahead of them though. Kessel I don't remember as well coming up, but didn't he play with Krejci that first year as a rookie line?

I think Lou's point is if Pastrnak is in line to win the first line job, that means A. Loui hasn't performed on that line as we hoped and B. No one "NHL ready" has been able to take the next step

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Marchand, Smith, and Seguin had legit top 6ers ahead of them though. Kessel I don't remember as well coming up, but didn't he play with Krejci that first year as a rookie line?

I think Lou's point is if Pastrnak is in line to win the first line job, that means A. Loui hasn't performed on that line as we hoped and B. No one "NHL ready" has been able to take the next step

Bingo , thank you.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont

When Marchand made the jump from the 4th line to the 2nd line mid-season, I wouldn't really say we had legit top 6 in front of him. Wheeler? Really?

As for Seguin, yes it was a numbers game.

R.Smith - While at the time we had legit top 6, he made the most of his time with Yeti and capitalized his time with Bergie when Eriksson got hurt.

Comparing Boston to a lot of other teams in NHL, top teams usually don't have an issue trying a rookie on the top line to catch magic in a bottle as it gives them a more balanced attacked. And yes, I understand we are thin at RW...but sometimes certain players just mess well with others. Eriksson / Yeti did well....I just feel like Pastrnak on the 3rd line is a lot more responsibility then him playing on the 1st.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Although I still think it will be pretty tough for him to make the team, I'm rooting for Pastrnak to have a great camp and get a shot at the 3rd line RW spot. The kid's got a fire under him and with the lack of depth we have at RW this is probably the best year to have a shot at getting in the lineup. He'd have to have a phenomenal camp but you never know. Either way we're very fortunate to have this guy in our organization, looking forward to watching him play.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
I can't believe it either. Honestly. I think the concussion must have been why he fell.

This is from Patrice Bergeron after yesterday's practice...

"He's very fast, skilled, he battles hard,†said Bergeron. “I know it's early, but he seems to be really hard on the puck and wants it, so you know, it's great to have, he seems to be a great player."

I think Pastrnak is going to be a star- the league is moving to players like him; he seems charismatic, certainly has wow skills just watching DC; Red Line Draft Guide had him 14 and when I read it 3 weeks before the actual draft I put about 10 stars on this and thought man, does Kyle love this guy!!!! when I watched th draft with a group of my hockey buds I kept an eye on him and was shocked the Bruins took him

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
I love Pastrnak's potential but if he is truly inline to win a first line job that kinda speaks more about the Bruins then it does him.

The kid has all the potential in the world but I don't think anyone realistically believes he's in line to win a first-line job. Best-case scenario for him is that he makes the Bruins as a third-liner, but even that is pushing it, IMO.

If he blows everyone's doors off and is skating alongside Krejci and Lucic on opening night that wouldn't be an indictment of the Bruins, it would mean he's better than anyone could have possibly imagined.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
The kid has all the potential in the world but I don't think anyone realistically believes he's in line to win a first-line job. Best-case scenario for him is that he makes the Bruins as a third-liner, but even that is pushing it, IMO.

If he blows everyone's doors off and is skating alongside Krejci and Lucic on opening night that wouldn't be an indictment of the Bruins, it would mean he's better than anyone could have possibly imagined.

That and the talent he had to beat out was subpar at best.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen

Would Julien really break up the Eriksson-Soderberg-Kelly line ? I don't think so, not before the 50-game mark at least.

member 96824

I think Pastrnak is going to be a star- the league is moving to players like him; he seems charismatic, certainly has wow skills just watching DC; Red Line Draft Guide had him 14 and when I read it 3 weeks before the actual draft I put about 10 stars on this and thought man, does Kyle love this guy!!!! when I watched th draft with a group of my hockey buds I kept an eye on him and was shocked the Bruins took him

I was very excited to get him, but man I'm not going to lie Dan. When I saw McCann and Fabbri falling through the ranks, I was like a kid on Christmas. I think Fabbri ends up the best player from the draft...but he was a pipe dream. McCann I couldn't believe was almost there.

I wonder if Vancouver had gone a different route if Chia would have gone with McCann or still stuck with Pastrnak. Probably still Pastrnak due to having wayyyy too many centers who are already log jammed up. Good problem to have!

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
I love that Yandle still has ties to Boston and skates during these practices. Love to see him come home; but won't play the trade proposal game! :laugh:

On Pastrnak, if he makes the team wouldn't it be as a third line winger with Soderberg? I don't have a lot of hope of this happening though; but it's nice to see a talented young kid come in the system with what seems like a great attitude toward the game.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus

No, the point I'm making is that he'd have to be beyond outstanding to do so. That doesn't make anyone he'd beat subpar. Suppose Eriksson (just for a name) has a great camp, but Pastrnak is tremendously tremendous (to borrow a phrase)?

Obviously the odds of that happening are about a gazillion to one, but that's the point. "Tremendous" > "great."

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA

not necessarily when you think about how CJ runs things. He has set lines he will not change up until he really has to. So he has the Bergy line set with marchand and smith. He had a good group of Yeti, Loiu, Kelly/fill in (but Loiu and Yet had good chemestry). the line he has to change is the Krejci line because he lost Iggy so to CJ that is a position that is being battled for. We all know he is not the normal #1,2,3,4 line type coach. He may think it is better to keep the 2nd/3rd lines he knows intact and put the best rookie into the Iggy slot.

not saying it is right but I am saying that to me that is how CJ as a coach thinks. So if this kid is the best of the RW's options while leaving Smith on line 2 and Loui on line 3 it wouldn't shock me if he put him in there to see how he clicked.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA

Bingo , thank you.

I think you guys need to open your minds to the possibility that this kid is just damn good. IMO, if he makes it, it will be because he forced their hand with such a strong camp/pre-season.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
I think you guys need to open your minds to the possibility that this kid is just damn good. IMO, if he makes it, it will be because he forced their hand with such a strong camp/pre-season.

Guess we will see, not putting a lot of stock into DC considering the names that were there..He should be able to skate circles around high schoolers and free agents, he is an elite young talent ..

I do love the kids future though.

member 96824

I would love nothing more than him to make it....but not to be depended on in a 1st line role. Chia rolled Iginla out 18 minutes a night last year...second to only his linemate Krejci in terms of forwards.

I'd rather see him in competition for the 3rd line spot, with Loui playing well enough to lock up the #1 RW.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009

I agree, I'll eat my hat if he breaks camp as our RW1. There's nothing to suggest the organization or coaching staff would do that.

If he makes it, he'll get time on the 3rd line and more than a couple in the press box to get the birds-eye view.

I'll be surprised if we don't see some sort of D for RW deal happen as well, so it could all be moot.

DNE3

Sep 14, 2010
Alexander Khokhlachev will come flying out the gate at training camp and establish himself as the new Savard-lookalike and force tough choice on team decision makers. I figure a preseason hat trick ought to raise some eyebrows.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
I agree, I'll eat my hat if he breaks camp as our RW1. There's nothing to suggest the organization or coaching staff would do that.

If he makes it, he'll get time on the 3rd line and more than a couple in the press box to get the birds-eye view.

I'll be surprised if we don't see some sort of D for RW deal happen as well, so it could all be moot.

What is DP's rules? Is it that 10 game trial thing , can he play in Providence ?

member 96824

What is DP's rules? Is it that 10 game trial thing , can he play in Providence ?

He's got the option to do basically whatever he or the Bruins wants. Providence, Sweden, or go to Belleville in the O.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
I was very excited to get him, but man I'm not going to lie Dan. When I saw McCann and Fabbri falling through the ranks, I was like a kid on Christmas. I think Fabbri ends up the best player from the draft...but he was a pipe dream. McCann I couldn't believe was almost there.

I wonder if Vancouver had gone a different route if Chia would have gone with McCann or still stuck with Pastrnak. Probably still Pastrnak due to having wayyyy too many centers who are already log jammed up. Good problem to have!

I thought the same thing as the draft unfolded - Benning knew who they liked; McCann seemed so Bruins but Woodlief liked Pastrnak better

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I am a noted Loui apologist but if Pastrnak got the top RW spot over Loui it's because Loui blew it and there wasn't really another option. It is certainly not ideal to have an 18 year old going up against teams best players in a role where the last guy scored 30 goals. This organization is very careful with its rookies and that's not a reasonable expectation for him, in my opinion.

In our current situation that spot is all but Loui's and if he doesn't get it it's for no other reason than he couldn't handle it. To have to fill that spot with someone else makes things a lot more complicated.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Iggy had nowhere near the influence over the room the way Thornton did.
He will be missed. He and Ference were our two biggest stand up guys other than Chara... will be interesting to see who will relish that role...thinking Lone Wolf or Miller will be the watchdogs.

I agree. The B's will miss Shawn far more than they will miss Iggy.

Good Post Lou.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad