Therrien - New Season Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Yup, out played them, and fell 0-3. Boo hoo, we out played them, we deserved better, wahh wahh, we were better!!

Werent you JUST rambling on and on about how its only the record is all that matters? Yeah, thought so.

It must suck to "take one in pouch".

Regular season: result is all that matter.
Playoffs, where there is no tomorrow: it's all about the process.

it make no sense, but hey, bending logic to support Therrien is A-Okay.

Mr Jackpot

Mar 16, 2013
Montreal
If I understand people's logic in this thread, if Babcock was the Habs coach last season we would have at least 122+ points and we would have finished first in the league by a large margin.

And another great logic, if Quenneville was the coach, the Habs would not have touched 12 goal post against the Lightning in round 2, all those 12 shots would have been in the net if Quenneville was coach.

This is hilarious I swear.

Nynja*

Dont want to comment about our playoff record of 0-3 against the bolts eh? I dont blame you, your "pouch" (his words, i dunno what that is, gut maybe?) must still be sore.

But maybe you should stop telling everyone their logic is dumb and how hilarious it is, when you yourself cant even keep your opinions on point. Truth be told, you're like Therrien: you dictate things and bully others around, but when faced with adversity, all you do is deflect and/or ignore.

Last edited by a moderator:

Born in 1909

Hockey Royalty
Nov 20, 2007
Montreal
Dont want to comment about our playoff record of 0-3 against the Bolts eh? I dont blame you, your "pouch" (his words, i dunno what that is, gut maybe?) must still be sore.

But maybe you should stop telling everyone their logic is dumb and how hilarious it is, when you yourself cant even keep your opinions on point. Truth be told, you're like Therrien: you dictate things and bully others around, but when faced with adversity, all you do is deflect and/or ignore.

That was real bad.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
Now if you put Scotty Bowman, Fred Shero and Al Albour as coaches with the Coyotes, yes they will battle for a playoff spot, because coaching plays a big part in a team's success (something you just learned today)

That is so wrong. Check their Center depth, check their defensive depth.

That roster is terrible and even Jesus couldn't make them contend for a spot. Not in the east and certainly not in the west

Last edited:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
If I understand people's logic in this thread, if Babcock was the Habs coach last season we would have at least 122+ points and we would have finished first in the league by a large margin.

And another great logic, if Quenneville was the coach, the Habs would not have touched 12 goal post against the Lightning in round 2, all those 12 shots would have been in the net if Quenneville was coach.

This is hilarious I swear.

Where are you pulling these numbers from?
The people discussing Babcock's attributes don't talk points.
It's not nor ever has been about points. It's about his ability to put a solid structure in place.
His ability to have his team ready for games. His Red Wings who were not superior to our Habs put up a much better fight against Tampa Bay than we did and except for blowing a 2-0 lead in game 5 Could have easily won that series.

So by all means defend Therrien and his ability to pull points out of Price's ass.
He is not top caliber coaching material not even close...

Last edited:

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
And how many pucks could've gone in for them? Moreover, look at the first goal of the game. Does Price give that up?

We were outplayed convincingly tonight by a roster that would have a hard time beating anyone. But they had a well executed gameplan and dummied us most of the night. We had no answer for them. The freaking Maple Leafs man and we had no answers.

It's game one... okay. But we've seen this for the past two seasons. No way we should get dominated by a roster that bad.

I think you're under estimating the Leafs...plus it was the Leafs home opener, had to impress their new coach. What are you gonna say about the Hawks, or Anaheim or Washington, or NYR when they get outshot by the Leafs and their "inferior" line up...that their coaches suck, or they have a flawed system?

Last year Habs outshot and outplayed the Bolts in the playoff....did it really matter? Or was it the final score that really mattered?

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I think you're under estimating the Leafs...plus it was the Leafs home opener, had to impress their new coach. What are you gonna say about the Hawks, or Anaheim or Washington, or NYR when they get outshot by the Leafs and their "inferior" line up...that their coaches suck, or they have a flawed system?
If the Hawks get outshot and outplayed by the Leafs then it will be a testament to how good a coach Babcock really is. Personally I don't think it will happen though.
Last year Habs outshot and outplayed the Bolts in the playoff....did it really matter? Or was it the final score that really mattered?
So the goal is to not play well then?

Bottom line is that when you play well your chances of winning go way up. That's common sense right? Can't everyone agree on that? It doesn't mean you'll win every series you outplay your opponents but it's something you should be aiming for.

For two years now we've watched our club get outplayed most nights. And it's because our system sucks. Our breakouts suck. Our transition sucks. Roster management sucks. Offensive pressure is poor. And we keep hearing things like - he doesn't have talent to work with - this is nonsense.

We'll see how the Leafs do this year. I think they'll be out of the playoffs again but what I saw last night was a very bad roster playing a well structured game. They handed us our ass most of the night and came out on the wrong end. It's just frustrating to know that we could be so much better than we are if we had a good system and better roster management. Instead we get the same ol' every year and at the end of the day it could cost us a cup.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008

If the leafs outshoot and out chance the Hawks, or Anaheim or Washington, or NYR then they are going to win more than they lose.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
If the Hawks get outshot and outplayed by the Leafs then it will be a testament to how good a coach Babcock really is. Personally I don't think it will happen though.

So the goal is to not play well then?

Bottom line is that when you play well your chances of winning go way up. That's common sense right? Can't everyone agree on that? It doesn't mean you'll win every series you outplay your opponents but it's something you should be aiming for.

For two years now we've watched our club get outplayed most nights. And it's because our system sucks. Our breakouts suck. Our transition sucks. Roster management sucks. Offensive pressure is poor. And we keep hearing things like - he doesn't have talent to work with - this is nonsense.

We'll see how the Leafs do this year. I think they'll be out of the playoffs again but what I saw last night was a very bad roster playing a well structured game. They handed us our ass most of the night and came out on the wrong end. It's just frustrating to know that we could be so much better than we are if we had a good system and better roster management. Instead we get the same ol' every year and at the end of the day it could cost us a cup.

The goal is to win.

I'll admit, I'd rather see the Habs dominate the shot sheet and score sheet, guess I'll just settle for the score sheet.....Therrien is certainly not a top end coach in this league, 10-12 range out of 30 would be fair, but you know the challenges this team faces when it comes time to hire a Head Coach. C'est pas facile.....

As for talent, compared to last year, we are definitely better. A more mature Galchenyuk, Beaulieu, Pateryn, Petry for a full year, Price, Pacioretty, Subban entering their respective Prime Years, Eller seems really dialled in....we are certainly better and no one will be able to use the talent excuse this year, but I don't think we'll have to...Game one of the year, let's really analyze the Habs after game 25, it'll be a better sample size.

Markov minutes are down, DD on the third line, Galchenyuk moved to Centre...seems like moves from the coach you'd approve of....like I said before, let's Analyze this team after game 25 and have a true debate with material to work with.

HCH

Dec 17, 2003
The Wild West
Visit site
I'm going to try my best to give Therrien a chance this year. Not sold on his approach to the game but if he wins I will be okay with it. If the team stumbles and plays the style of hockey where Carey Price has to try bail them out every game, it will be a long season.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
The goal is to win.

I'll admit, I'd rather see the Habs dominate the shot sheet and score sheet, guess I'll just settle for the score sheet.....Therrien is certainly not a top end coach in this league, 10-12 range out of 30 would be fair, but you know the challenges this team faces when it comes time to hire a Head Coach. C'est pas facile.....

As for talent, compared to last year, we are definitely better. A more mature Galchenyuk, Beaulieu, Pateryn, Petry for a full year, Price, Pacioretty, Subban entering their respective Prime Years, Eller seems really dialled in....we are certainly better and no one will be able to use the talent excuse this year, but I don't think we'll have to...Game one of the year, let's really analyze the Habs after game 25, it'll be a better sample size.

Markov minutes are down, DD on the third line, Galchenyuk moved to Centre...seems like moves from the coach you'd approve of....like I said before, let's Analyze this team after game 25 and have a true debate with material to work with.

Might want to check the even strength ice-time on that one.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The goal is to win.
Win what? A regular season game? A playoff series?

The goal is to win THE CUP. If you think we can do that by playing crappy hockey and relying on Price, you're sadly mistaken. The only time we really dominate is when we forego the system that's been implemented. So why have that system to begin with?

This is what you don't seem to get. I keep reading about people complaining about "whining" after a win. People aren't upset about the wins. It's great to win. But if you're always outplayed you aren't going to win a cup. THAT's what some people care about. THAT's what people are upset about. It's not about "agendas" or "having an axe to grind"... it's about wanting us to win a cup. We have to play better to do it.

I couldn't care less about a 110 point season unless it's indicative of us actually playing well. Because if we aren't playing well then we aren't likely to win - no matter what our regular season record is.

Like I said earlier, it's game one. Us getting outplayed by the Leafs is not the end of the world by any stretch and yes we could improve.

What's disappointing though is that we seem to be continuing on the same path we've seen for the past two years. Babcock outcoached Therrien last night and with a far worse roster made us look bad. They simply played a better game and exposed Therrien's lack of system.

Yes, Galchenyuk's at center and that's great but once again DD was our most used forward. And he was badly outplayed and hemmed into his own end for most of the game but he kept getting put out there. These kinds of things needlessly handicap us. We have a roster good enough to win a cup. The window is short but we continue to screw ourselves by playing bad systems. I just don't want to see us piss it away because once the window passes you by it's a long wait for another rebuild.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
It's just frustrating to know that we could be so much better than we are if we had a good system and better roster management. Instead we get the same ol' every year and at the end of the day it will cost us a cup.
FTFY.

As long as Therrien continues to coach this club (into the ground), there will be no Cup parade in Montreal. Even Carey Price can only do so much, as we saw in a 6-6 playoff run last year.

Emelin 22+ minutes. Desharnais line more minutes than the Chuck line, despite getting badly outshot in the process. Outshot & outchanced by the freakin' Leafs.

Just another year on the Therrien bus to nowhere.

We're boned, folks. Simply boned.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Is anyone really all that surprised with MT's continued overuse of David "My coach thinks I'm Sidney Crosby" Desharnais? I'm not even a little bit surprised anymore. My only hope at this point is if one or both of these guys are gone in 2 years time so this can finally end.

It might be time to combine the MT and DD threads here since one can't talk about either in the appropriate thread without bringing up both these guys it seems. The DD thread is full of people complaining about his usage and the MT thread is full of people complaining about how he uses DD.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013

Last year Habs outshot and outplayed the Bolts in the playoff....

I keep seeing this being stated as fact... with the score close, the Bolts out shot and out chanced the Habs by a fair margin.

Or was it the final score that really mattered?

Does it matter that the top possession team for the past 5 seasons has won 3 cups? or did they just get the lucky bounces?

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
The President's trophy is awarded to the most skilled team in the, with the caveat that health typically affect a team's skill level temporarily.

The Cup is awarded to those who can win four games in three series, of which the teams are closer in terms of talent level.

Mr Therrien is merely the master of losing painfully in 6. His one Cup go-around ended exactly like how we did against the Rags and Bolts. Brutal, stfiled play and sheer ownage during the four losses for his team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad