Therrien - New Season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
At this time, haters like lovers, have to unite and just praise Therrien for how great he is at getting his message through. We don't like some of his decisions. Fine. He's not a favorite of mine. Fine. Till we win, nothing of that sort is important as we are not the ones playing, our players are and CLEARLY they believe in him and his message. And because of that, we play a great and EVEN entertaining brand of hockey. And all this while Semin is coasting. While Gilbert is not NHL material. While Weise JUST woke up. While Gally isn't exactly lightning it up. While Galchy is adjusting.

I mean.....right now....the coach has to do something good. Let's give him a break. And that's coming from not a fan....as you already know.

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
The only knock I could give at Therrien presently is that he never tried our 2 best players together, Pacioretty and Galchenyuk. 'cause the eye test tells me they are the best Habs forwards.

Elliot Friedman wrote about this in his 30thoughts this week, I think its posted a few pages back here, that MT has thought about putting them together, and might be the case in the future but right now Patches line goes up vs other teams top d-pair and top lines, he has them on different lines so Gally doesn't have o face other teams top d-pairs.

Born in 1909

Hockey Royalty
Nov 20, 2007
Montreal
I would simply like to add that coaches, like all people, evolve.

Actually, one could argue that there are 3 types of people (forget coaches).

1. Those who's thinking philosophies & actions evolve in forward moving ways (ie. making forward progression)

2. Those who's thinking philosophies & actions evolve very little (ie. stuck in a rut)

3. Those who's thinking philosophies & actions evolve in backward moving ways (ie. harbouring self-destructive tendencies)

MT is looking like he fits into the 1st category.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
At this time, haters like lovers, have to unite and just praise Therrien for how great he is at getting his message through. We don't like some of his decisions. Fine. He's not a favorite of mine. Fine. Till we win, nothing of that sort is important as we are not the ones playing, our players are and CLEARLY they believe in him and his message. And because of that, we play a great and EVEN entertaining brand of hockey. And all this while Semin is coasting. While Gilbert is not NHL material. While Weise JUST woke up. While Gally isn't exactly lightning it up. While Galchy is adjusting.

I mean.....right now....the coach has to do something good. Let's give him a break. And that's coming from not a fan....as you already know.

Completely agree with you, and I'm one of his biggest detractors as well.

It's hard to argue with results, and it's clear the team is playing a more aggressive and entertaining brand of hockey this season (it needs to be maintained, however).

I have nothing to complain about other than the PP.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

Well, he did change a lot of things i hated from him......since it's working well, kind of hate him even more to not have made those changes before and it kind of justify all of the anger directed to him.

There's 2-3 still bothering me, but that's definetely a lot less worst than last couple of years.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Completely agree with you, and I'm one of his biggest detractors as well.

It's hard to argue with results, and it's clear the team is playing a more aggressive and entertaining brand of hockey this season (it needs to be maintained, however).

I have nothing to complain about other than the PP.
If we play like this and fix the PP... man, we'll tough to beat.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Tough to beat NOW, but better opponents lie ahead.

For sure, and those tougher opponents are likely to make us pay for not being opportunistic with our power plays.

For years we were a better team than we actually were because we were so good on the PP it could literally win us games (along with good goaltending), it's almost ironic that now it's our Achilles heel now that we actually have the best roster we've had in ages.

It doesn't have to convert at a 24% rate like it did in 2008, but just having it around 18% would make us insanely hard to beat.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
5 games only, we all know MT will eventually bring DD back to the 1st line or put Galchenyuk back on the wing or some of the stupid things he did for YEARS...

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Yeah we all know that

We kinda do, but we chose to ignore it because...
50rp17C.gif

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

Therrien has addressed a lot of the complaints people have had against him and so certainly deserves some praise for that. It's a shame we haven't been playing this style these past few years, but what's done is done. If he's finally learnt his lesson then great, but I'll need to see how he handles things when we lose 2-3 games in a row. Will he go back to his old ways when the going gets tough or has he really changed. At this point I'm cautiously optimistic and until then he certainly deserves some credit.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Therrien has addressed a lot of the complaints people have had against him and so certainly deserves some praise for that. It's a shame we haven't been playing this style these past few years, but what's done is done. If he's finally learnt his lesson then great, but I'll need to see how he handles things when we lose 2-3 games in a row. Will he go back to his old ways when the going gets tough or has he really changed. At this point I'm cautiously optimistic and until then he certainly deserves some credit.

My thoughts, exactly.

So far this year, I have little to complain about Therrien's coaching. Let's just hope he changed from his old ways and what we're seeing is not temporary.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Tough to beat NOW, but better opponents lie ahead.
Okay, but we're playing better. There's no disputing that now. The systems are better, the roster mgmt is better... I'm just happy with how things are being run now.

We have the team to make a serious run at a cup now. That hasn't happened in over 20 years. I'm really excited about this year.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Okay, but we're playing better. There's no disputing that now. The systems are better, the roster mgmt is better... I'm just happy with how things are being run now.

We have the team to make a serious run at a cup now. That hasn't happened in over 20 years. I'm really excited about this year.

The thing that I do like is the proactive approch to what were identified as problems in the past.
A simple example is how we've played with the lead so far.
We aren't putting away games as we should just yet but it isn't for lack of trying. We are using the right recipe which is key. If we keep this up I think we will all see much better execution in our passing game and our odd man game as we continue try things. This is all I've wanted to see for the past two years.
A regular season used for improving team skills as we are clearly no longer a bubble team.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
5 games only, we all know MT will eventually bring DD back to the 1st line or put Galchenyuk back on the wing or some of the stupid things he did for YEARS...

I don't think so.

Therrien seems really committed to keeping Chucky at center, having him work on his faceoffs early in the season when he was poor. It's led to some better results, and they'll just get better. He's also protected by Eller if he wants Eller to take the draw.

He's commented how he doesn't want to put Chucky with Patches right away because it means facing the top defensive pairing of the opposing team every night and he wants to build Chucky's confidence at the position on the second line before making the move.

And with all of that, I also think moving Galchenyuk to center was a move Bergevin influenced. I don't see Chucky returning to wing.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
Gotta give some credit to him but the corsi is unsustainable.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I don't think so.

Therrien seems really committed to keeping Chucky at center, having him work on his faceoffs early in the season when he was poor. It's led to some better results, and they'll just get better. He's also protected by Eller if he wants Eller to take the draw.

He's commented how he doesn't want to put Chucky with Patches right away because it means facing the top defensive pairing of the opposing team every night and he wants to build Chucky's confidence at the position on the second line before making the move.

And with all of that, I also think moving Galchenyuk to center was a move Bergevin influenced. I don't see Chucky returning to wing.

we'll see when we'll have tough time, it's rather easy to just keep doing the same things when you,re winning... but when you're losing it's different...

we'll see by then if he really changed or if it was all smoke.

the guy gave us the dumb and chase for 2 years, so yeah... wait and see.

Nynja*

how is 54.7 unsustainable for a top end team? We dont even have the highest Corsi right now (4th), our on-ice shooting percentage is pretty low (6.9%, 20th), our PDO is 9th (103.5, thanks Price and Condon), were actually below 50% on faceoffs, and our Zone Start distribution shows we take more DZone than OZone draws.

If anything, this should show we are a really good team.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
If I'm not mistaken, Galchenyuk spoke to Bergevin (and likely Therrien) about wanting to play center, which is what spouted his prior agent's whining, subsequent termination and the delay in re-signing him. For those reasons, alongside Galchenyuk playing very well, I don't see Therrien moving him back to the wing. He may still bump Desharnais to the top line, but it won't be at Galchenyuk's expense.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Myself, along with half the forum, predicted that Pacioretty-Plekanec-Gallagher would be an effective first line, we did well at least so far.

Some naysayers thought it wouldn't be on the basis of Plekanec not being an elite center and there are a few people denying that Gallagher is top-15 at his position.

I suspect that Gallagher will continue to be underestimated for a very long time.

Kraniumm

Hanshan
Jan 1, 2015
BC
It took Therrien 2 years to listen to what many of us have been screaming at him. It shouldn't have taken this long, but I'm liking the early results now that he finally has.

Eller should still get more PP time and DDs line is getting 2nd line minutes; other than those niggles, I'm not gonna complain. Long time coming, this Habs possession hockey thang.

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK
People criticise old style and demand changes; get told that they are hating blindly.

Said changes are made; coach is hailed as a genius and the haters need to shut up.

You couldn't make it up. Might as well anoint a bunch of HF Habs posters as geniuses as well, after all they saw the issues 1st.

Chucky at C

DD in a secondary exploitation role.

Eller in a genuine 2 way role.

Patches in a 2 way role

Dmen allowed to carry and transition the puck.

Attack the middle of the ice, making neutral zone passes, gaining the O-Zone with speed.

Less dump and chase...

These were ALL things "haters" wanted implemented.

Therrien has gone back to the 2013 style (this actually started in game 4 vs Tampa) and long may it continue. In Price he's got a safety net to play a more offensive style.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad