Speculation: The Wings are interested in Horvat

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SoupNazi

Gee Wally/SoupNazi 2024
Feb 6, 2010
The Mantha trade was a pretty big move.

I think there's a lot of potential for fireworks in the next few months given the Larkin/Bertuzzi/Vrana situations.

I agree on the rumors though, I doubt there's much substance to any of these leaks.
I'll give you the Mantha trade, though in hindsight it doesn't look like either team gained anything.

I think these leaks are driven as much by clicks as anything. O6 team trending toward the end of a long rebuild being interested in an impending UFA who's a good fit on paper? That'll drive some web traffic and discussion. Sort of the same way Tranna is linked to Player X or Player Y on a slow news week.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Boeser has negative trade value with his contract.

It's a silly trade made weird with silly additions. There is zero interest in flipping Horvat for Larkin I would imagine

No…. He does not. They knew exactly what they were getting into with signing him and he’s still playing just as well as he has in prior years.

He may have more value to Vancouver than anyone else… but they have no pressing need to dump him and take less to get rid of him. And even if you think he does… he doesn’t have anywhere near such negative value as to make 8 years of Bo Horvat and him be worth 6 weeks of Dylan Larkin.

It’s a completely nonsense offer.

stillwater

cellar door
Mar 17, 2011
I think these leaks are driven as much by clicks as anything. O6 team trending toward the end of a long rebuild being interested in an impending UFA who's a good fit on paper? That'll drive some web traffic and discussion. Sort of the same way Tranna is linked to Player X or Player Y on a slow news week.

It's crazy that this needs to be pointed out, but I guess it does.

Reactions: SoupNazi

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
How is Bertuzzi, Zadina, and Wallinder a solid offer? Bertuzzi is a UFA with a long injury history who currently can’t play a lick of good hockey, a bust of a prospect coming off a major injury, and a great prospect. It’s basically a great prospect and junk. I’m struggling to see how someone else doesn’t beat this.

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"

Interesting that St James says the Wings, "hold a great deal of interest in Bo Horvat.... and would love to see as their No. 1 center."

Also says the Wings and Larkin, "are edging closer towards somewhere in the mid-$8mil per season, after being more than $1mil apart."

If the Wings can keep Larkin in the mid-$8mil AND pick up Horvat for something less than that average, now you're getting somewhere.

From that article I'm getting the feeling Bertuzzi is almost certainly gone, and Zadina has been written off as well.

Reactions: Ricelund

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014

Interesting that St James says the Wings, "hold a great deal of interest in Bo Horvat.... and would love to see as their No. 1 center."

Also says the Wings and Larkin, "are edging closer towards somewhere in the mid-$8mil per season, after being more than $1mil apart."

If the Wings can keep Larkin in the mid-$8mil AND pick up Horvat for something less than that average, now you're getting somewhere.

From that article I'm getting the feeling Bertuzzi is almost certainly gone, and Zadina has been written off as well.
Who knows whether they could pull all that off.
But at a minimum, there are significant moves of SOME sort coming.

I had thought this past summer would be the catalyst for a big jump in the standings. Disappointing, even if injuries have been a significant reason. But between 1) the growth in guys like Berggren, Rasmussen, and Veleno; 2) seeing Seider and Raymond start to turn things around; 3) encouraging development from Kasper and Edvinsson; 4) the possibility of a top ten pick in what looks like a great draft class; and now maybe 5) some interesting trades...

... It's shaping up as a good consolation prize, and leaving next year open for making that jump.

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
I think the Wings are saying they are interested, just so they can have access to potential contract negotiations. Probably want to convince Horvat not to sign an extension with anyone else if he get traded elsewhere. Sort of a way to let him know a better deal exists elsewhere.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

I'm still sticking to my guns that Yzerman and Larkin come in around 8 x $8,950,000 that's a very good offer.

I'm not convinced that we don't keep Bertuzzi on a short term deal say around 3 x $5,500,000. He has little trade value on the open market plus no sane GM is giving him more than what i'm offering him.

Zadina is 100% gone. And i think this coming summer Yzerman and Vrana will do a mutual contract termination. Just makes far too much sense.

Last edited:

SoupNazi

Gee Wally/SoupNazi 2024
Feb 6, 2010

That's the gist of the article, or is there anything else relevant? It's behind a paywall.

sepster

Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
That's the gist of the article, or is there anything else relevant? It's behind a paywall.

On Horvat:

"One name that holds a great deal of interest for the Wings is Bo Horvat.... who the Wings would love to see as their No. 1 center.....Wings would love to bid for his services (as UFA), but the Canucks are likelier to deal him....In order for trade to happen, the Wings would need to be allowed to talk to Horvat's agent regarding an extension.... an offer along the lines of Veleno, Rassmussen, and a first-round pick (protected)."

On the season:

"progressed from the sad place they were in when (Yzerman) took over... have played well in beating playoff teams, but a slap in the face for the organization to see the Wings fall flat against Columbus (and) bottom of the standings (teams)."

On Bertuzzi:

"another high-profile forward could be on his way out soon... injury history is a concern.... (but) grit and goal scoring will appeal to contenders."

On Larkin:

"sides edging closer towards somewhere in the mid-$8mil/season... don't see trading Larkin even if a deal isn't signed by March 3... if sides not find enough common ground, rights could be traded ahead of UFA."

On Zadina:

"could be available to play as soon as next week...has been in organization since 2018 and hasn't made a fit for himself in top-6 - or even the bottom-6... maybe another team sees him as a fresh-start candidate."

"This year, as expectations grow even as the Wings are projected to miss the playoffs for a 7th-staright season, Yzerman may be both a seller and a buyer."

sepster

Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
I'm just shocked that St James (who we all know is essentially a Wings mouthpiece) would write that the Wings would love to see a player who is not Larkin be their 1C.

I mean, that's how I feel, and I've been saying that for a while now, but to see it in an article by a Wings beat writer? That's something.

Reactions: RED WINGS STOMP

DatsDeking

Jun 25, 2013
Landing Horvat would speed up the Larkin negotiations. It’s much easier to ask a player to take less money on a competitive team for the sale of winning than it is on a team that struggles with consistency. Signing Horvat probably steadies the ship, at least in theory.

I’d be willing to part with practically any two of Veleno, Bertuzzi, Sundquist, Rasmussen, Berggren (very reluctantly), Wallinder, and a protected first.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
It's very unusual to see something like this leak from the FO. You have to wonder if this is actually the case or they're using it to put pressure on Larkin.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
It's very unusual to see something like this leak from the FO. You have to wonder if this is actually the case or they're using it to put pressure on Larkin.

You can view this a couple ways.

One is that they are exploring a redundancy if Larkin is hellbent on taking 9+ million. Basically floating his replacement.

The other is that they are getting Larkin more talent to play with and increase is willingness to flex on contract if he has more help.

Honestly... I think both those things are true.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Honestly... I think both those things are true.
Which, in my opinion, is the way it should be.

I like Larkin. He's a good player who has answered all the questions after countless bad losses on some ugly rosters, and I hope he can be a significant part of this team as they turn the corner and then become playoff contenders.

But he has certainly not earned "untouchable no matter what" status.

Explore all options to make the roster better.

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016

The asking price for Bo Horvat is…

Sportsnet: Jeff Marek and Elliotte Friedman on 32 Thoughts on Bo Horvat.

** NHLRumors.com transcription

Friedman: “The other thing we’ve been talking a lot is Bo Horvat. Jeff, what have you said Vancouver is looking for, for Horvat?”

Marek: “Three players including a top prospect.”

Friedman: “Okay, so there was a lot of talk about this in the last 24 to 48 hours. I think the reason is, I’m getting the impression that Vancouver is separating the teams who are willing to consider that or continue down that level of conversations from the teams that won’t.

And I think that’s what kind of been going on here, is Vancouver is figuring out who’s really serious. I don’t believe there is anything imminent at this time but I do think the Canucks know who’s in the game and who isn’t.”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad