The Virtues of Development vs. Winning in the AHL (Read OP)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Stig

Rest In Peace Johnny Gaudreau
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
Maybe. But I doubt he's learning much playing next to grinders for most of the season. Even if he learns some bad habits he's still playing almost double the amount he would be playing in Utica.

Also, Canucks bought Utica to groom players like Shinkaruk into top 6 forwards and going through those growing pains so that they will be ready for the NHL. What's the point of having Utica if we are not giving our prospects all the opportunity to succeed. Especially in key situations. That's how we develop these players. Instead we are making prospects we brought to Utica develop fight it out with temporary players with no future with this club.

For example, Conacher is playing over Shinkaruk on the first unit. Why? Conacher has a slim chance of ever playing in the Canucks top 6. Why is he getting more opportunities to play in favor of more important players. Not only that, Shinkaruk has for the most part outplayed Conacher. But Conacher is still in the top 6 where as Shinkaruk is demoted down to the 4th line. Makes no sense.

(got a bit of topic I just need a place to vent.)

Theyre in the playoffs and trying to win. Coach isn't worrying about grooming players right now. He's putting forth the best lines for what he thinks are whats best for his team right now. Thats fine by me. If it was regular season, fine, be upset about how he's using Canucks talent, but it's the middle of a playoff run. Who cares if Shinkaruk plays more or less than Conacher?

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Theyre in the playoffs and trying to win. Coach isn't worrying about grooming players right now. He's putting forth the best lines for what he thinks are whats best for his team right now. Thats fine by me. If it was regular season, fine, be upset about how he's using Canucks talent, but it's the middle of a playoff run. Who cares if Shinkaruk plays more or less than Conacher?

This isn't even about putting the prospects in a situation to succeed. This is about Green's loyalty towards vets vs prospects. Shinkaruk has 4 points 3 goals 1a in the post season and is on the second unit power play. Conacher has 1 goal 1 point in the post season. Shinkaruk has been better in this post season than Conacher straight up. However, Conacher is getting top 6 icetime when his recent play has been pretty bad. But Shinkaruk after having 2 mediocre games instantly get's demoted down to the 4th line.

Green gives too much leeway to his vets and gives the prospects no leash. Conacher has 1 goal in 10 games still get's paraded out on the 1st unit where Gaunce and Shinkaruk have to fight tooth and nail to get a sniff of 1st unit power play time.

Green even said that when there is a tie between a vet and a prospect of who deserves to be moved up/put in the lineup. He chooses the vet. That is not a coach who I want coaching my development team.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
This isn't even about putting the prospects in a situation to succeed. This is about Green's loyalty towards vets vs prospects. Shinkaruk has 4 points 3 goals 1a in the post season and is on the second unit power play. Conacher has 1 goal 1 point in the post season. Shinkaruk has been better in this post season than Conacher straight up. However, Conacher is getting top 6 icetime when his recent play has been pretty bad. But Shinkaruk after having 2 mediocre games instantly get's demoted down to the 4th line.

Green gives too much leeway to his vets and gives the prospects no leash. Conacher has 1 goal in 10 games still get's paraded out on the 1st unit where Gaunce and Shinkaruk have to fight tooth and nail to get a sniff of 1st unit power play time.

Green even said that when there is a tie between a vet and a prospect of who deserves to be moved up/put in the lineup. He chooses the vet. That is not a coach who I want coaching my development team.

Call me crazy but I want prospects to be fighting tooth and nail for everything they earn.

Shinkaruk and Gaunce are in their first pro seasons. If they aren't getting bigger roles and longer leashes next season than I'll be worried about how they are being developed. Both players have shown good improvements over this season.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Call me crazy but I want prospects to be fighting tooth and nail for everything they earn.

Shinkaruk and Gaunce are in their first pro seasons. If they aren't getting bigger roles and longer leashes next season than I'll be worried about how they are being developed. Both players have shown good improvements over this season.

I don't disagree with you. You want your prospects to remain competitive on the farm and get that extra push out of them.

But I think that Green is over doing it. Shinkaruk and Gaunce have to have the game of their lives to even see some 1st unit PP time. Then next game they're right back to the second unit.

This whole situation is just like the Higgins on the PP over Horvat in Van. Or Horvat not on the PP or second line in the playoffs. Green is just like Willie, extremely loyal. Too loyal. To the extent where I'm questioning his coaching abilities.

Shinkaruk for the sake of development and for the sake of having a higher chance of winning the game should be on that first unit over guys like Conacher.

(I feel like I am writing a book on how a player is not getting 1st unit PP time on a farm team, nothing else to talk about I guess)

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
I don't disagree with you. You want your prospects to remain competitive on the farm and get that extra push out of them.

But I think that Green is over doing it. Shinkaruk and Gaunce have to have the game of their lives to even see some 1st unit PP time. Then next game they're right back to the second unit.

This whole situation is just like the Higgins on the PP over Horvat in Van. Or Horvat not on the PP or second line in the playoffs. Green is just like Willie, extremely loyal. Too loyal. To the extent where I'm questioning his coaching abilities.

Shinkaruk for the sake of development and for the sake of having a higher chance of winning the game should be on that first unit over guys like Conacher.

(I feel like I am writing a book on how a player is not getting 1st unit PP time on a farm team, nothing else to talk about I guess)

Pretty much this, at some point teams need to decide which players are the priority long term and a young 1st round draft pick should always win a tie with a lifer in the AHL for development purposes right?

It's bad enough that we have such little depth in the system and now when we actually draft some decent talent we are having them sit or play in lesser roles instead of developing them to their full potential?

And then we wonder why we can't take the next step?:shakehead

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com

You have a point to an extent, player development is very tough to nail though.

I'm not sure what the magic formula is in terms of playing time, roles, etc to develop a player like Shinkaruk, but I do know that I'm okay with limiting him as a rookie unless he consistently shows he's ready.

Next season though Green needs to start giving Shinkaruk a role on the 1st PP unit from day 1 through till he's called up or the season ends.

As for you writing a novel on this topic, you're not alone on writing a lot about stuff like this. I've had a few interesting discussions on twitter about which AHL goalies the Canucks should sign next season.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
These were last games lines

Baertschi-O'Reilly-Grenier
Jensen-Friesen-Conacher
Gaunce-Hamilton-Bancks
Shinkaruk-Zalewski-DeFazio

Ehrhardt-Biega
Andersson-Sanguinetti
Huskins-Clendening

If you are wondering to yourself why Shinkaruk is playing next to AHL grinders I have no idea. Shinkaruk is tied for the most goals in the playoffs (on utica) with Gaunce, Clendening, Grenier.

Clendening is playing 3rd pairing defense (lol), Gaunce is playing on the 3rd line (lol), Shinkaruk is playing on the 4th line (lol), Grenier is the only player is playing where he is supposed to.

I really don't understand why we just don't send Shinkaruk back to Medicine Hat where he'll get to play 24 minutes +, instead of playing him 12 minutes + in the AHL. What's the point of a AHL team at all if we are going to play our top 6 or bust prospects like Shinkaruk next to AHL grinders in the first place.

Clendening is supposed to be on the team next year is getting played on the 3rd pairing in the AHL. Like why? This guy is a first team all-star AHLer and we are playing him on the 2nd unit power play and 3rd pairing defense in our farm team? That doesn't make any sense.

Are you actually watching the games or worrying about posting GIFs?
If you have truly been watching, you could easily answer your own questions. The only thing to interfere with the actual answers is your own bull-headed insistence that the "prospects" be placed in the highest, most elite positions and the team losing is fine as long as the former is carried out.

You have some serious Jeckyl and Hyde. On this thread you are chummy with the heavy critics of the Comets' lineup, while on the Comets' thread you are very supportive and genuinely in support of the on ice efforts. This "the prospects must play thing" will never be settled if it goes on for the next 100 years. It has two distinct lines of thought and very few if any will cross lines and so be it. Not posting because of the heat or lambasting opponents of a particular view won't make the points of view go away either. This simply goes on as long as people are willing to keep repeating the sames points ad nauseum.

First, let's look at your insistence that Shink should be top 6 because he is tied for the team playoff goal lead. That goal number is 3! He scored two of them in the first 2 games vs. Chicago. He has 1 in the next 8! He was in the the top 6 until he went back to being early season Shink failing to take passes directly to him, flubbing his own passes, unable to win any puck battles in his own end on the high boards or vs. the point man, being pasted to the boards on his rushes, puck hogging and turning it over, late on the forecheck, late in his passing lanes on the backcheck, running around trying trying to block passes and shots while always arriving after said events have taken place (working his butt off, but accomplishing nothing due to slowness or incorrect routes.), and finally failing to convert passes from his linemates after they did all the work for him. In summation, he's not top 6 because his play moved him down the ladder. He is in charge of how high up the depth chart he plays by his on ice performance. Frankly, aside from a quick flash or 2 he has vanished in the latter games and is cruising for another scratch, but Jensen may beat him to it.

Clendening is third pairing because he is an icing machine. He makes breakout passes at slap shot velocity waist to head high. These become long ice turnovers or icings. His long stretch passes, his other favorite play, are often at the same velocity and elevation. No one in the game can take these passes in either situation. He appears to have labeled some guys as unworthy of his passes and won't pass to them so he isn't on the ice with them. He is walked by the stronger skating forwards and D on the break. He is weak in offside D coverage, not physically strong enough to box the off forward out. He makes 3 cute little side steps left or right on the offensive blueline and then dumps the puck wide of the net due to no shooting lane rather than walking the line, working with his partner, and finding a forward working to open space for him. The guy flat out has no patience! When it sets up for him the way he envisions it, he's good, but the game changes too fast for his perfect situations to exist. Incidentally Green often starts his third line and then mixes the other three up in no particular order so watching his D-pairs switch around as well is normal. Calling the D-pairs 1,2, or 3 is random luck. Clendening also has 3 goals and 2 were in the Chicago series. He has one in the last 6 albeit a huge one.

Gaunce WAS employed with the current top 6 in different combinations and clearly could not keep up as a wing with their weaving style and high speed rushes. So he ended up playing the high forward arriving late or guarding against the quick breakout on the turnover. He has been getting late PP and late PK time and has been doing well in both situations especially taking advantage of personnel changes on those special units. Gaunce has 3 goals in 8 games and 2 came in the same game after he was scratched from the previous 2 for inconsistent play. His play since has lived up to expectations.

Grenier is where he is because he's doing his job on that unit with skill, speed, tenacity, and few mistakes. The others you mention are (or were in the case of Gaunce) not playing up to their expectations. Comets forwards move up and down the pecking order based on performance and goals are only one of a multitude of expectations. Grenier has three goals and they've come in the last 4 games. His level of play has risen with the team's degree of urgency. Something very uncharacteristic of Alex in his past. This guy is really elevating his stock value in he Canucks' family.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
DeFazio's not bad but I mean he's probably the streakiest goal scorer I've ever seen.

Since the start of March DeDazio only has 1 goal. (1 goal in 28 games)

Reported. But having watched the games Green usually stays true to his line combinations until the end of the game. Where he'll put out the defensive forwards.

He stays true to his combinations for that game. Correct. However, they are not arranged as 1,2,3,4, but are mixed, matched, and rolled around within a period or from period to period and dependent on the score or situation.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I was more talking about Ice time. Was Shinkaruk's line the 4th most used? Did Green use the Willie 1-2-3-4 approach? As long as Shinkaruk is getting ice time and is still on the PP, then I'm not going to be overly worried about the lines. Would it be more ideal as a Canucks fan to see him in a more offensive role at even strength? Yes, but it's not like there is a "Derek Dorsett" up in the top 6 right now. The Comets have a quite the depth of offensive wingers.

I think the idea of having Shinkaruk with DeFazio and Zalewski is that he can create more offense with them than Jensen can.

"I think the idea of having Shinkaruk with DeFazio and Zalewski is that he can create more offense with them than Jensen can."

This is absolutely correct and is another tactic Green has employed throughout the season to try and inject offense onto all 4 lines.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
The AHL doesn't record TOI so you are going to have to take my word for this. But If I had to guess I'd guess Shinkaruk when playing on the 4th line got about ~12 minutes of ice time.

Not with the forwards. I do feel like he did roll 1-2-3 with the defense pairings though. Which is only really noticeable when Ehrhart is on the ice really.

The big pet peeve I have is that Shinkaruk is being religated to the 4th line after he went cold for a few games. But Conacher still is playing in the top 6 after being cold for ever. Also, Conacher is still on the 1st unit power play. A spot that should be used for Shinkaruk IMO.

Conacher has been stone cold. I wouldn't necessarily say it's Dorsett level but it's like Higgins when he was stone cold still getting premier icetime.

Jensen has been playing in a bigger role than Shinkaruk. Shinkaruk has been put next to guys that are just ice cold and can't seem to get the puck in the net. He should be put in a position to be able to set up plays without DeFazio shooting it wide on a breakaway.

"But If I had to guess I'd guess Shinkaruk when playing on the 4th line got about ~12 minutes of ice time."

If you believe DeFazio's line only gets 12 minutes, you probably better use a stop watch next game and keep track. I think you are lowballing this one.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
The thing is they're five and six years older and have pro hockey bodies.....worst case scenario, one or both of Virtanen and McCann blows out a knee or suffers a shoulder separation in an AHL playoff game, trying to make a late-season adjustment to playing men in an intense playoff environment....If the Oilers want to play Darnell Nurse in the AHL playoffs that's fine...He's a bigger player who already has 10-20 games of NHL experience..... Green and the 'Nucks are taking the correct approach in Utica imo.

I thought someone like Virtanen or Hutton would have a pro hockey body already given their bulk, though even for someone like McCann who isn't quite as big I don't think it's as big a deal as people are making it out to be. You see teenagers like Cody Hodgson (2009), David Pastrnak, William Nylander, Jakub Vrana, Robby Fabbri, Kasperi Kapanen, Kevin Fiala, Julius Honka, Nikolay Goldobin, Adrian Kempe etc. stepping in and contributing nonetheless without the benefit of those extra years of pro conditioning like the average 23-year old AHLer would have. All of those guys were 1st rounders, most drafted just last year. It can be done.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
The AHL doesn't record TOI so you are going to have to take my word for this. But If I had to guess I'd guess Shinkaruk when playing on the 4th line got about ~12 minutes of ice time.

Not with the forwards. I do feel like he did roll 1-2-3 with the defense pairings though. Which is only really noticeable when Ehrhart is on the ice really.

The big pet peeve I have is that Shinkaruk is being religated to the 4th line after he went cold for a few games. But Conacher still is playing in the top 6 after being cold for ever. Also, Conacher is still on the 1st unit power play. A spot that should be used for Shinkaruk IMO.

Conacher has been stone cold. I wouldn't necessarily say it's Dorsett level but it's like Higgins when he was stone cold still getting premier icetime.

Jensen has been playing in a bigger role than Shinkaruk. Shinkaruk has been put next to guys that are just ice cold and can't seem to get the puck in the net. He should be put in a position to be able to set up plays without DeFazio shooting it wide on a breakaway.

"The big pet peeve I have is that Shinkaruk is being religated to the 4th line after he went cold for a few games. But Conacher still is playing in the top 6 after being cold for ever.

Conacher has been a constant threat and always makes things happen. Shink is using vanishing cream.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
That's the thing. For him to stick in the NHL (even in a top-6 role) he needs to show defensive awareness (that's why it worked for Horvat). For Shinkaruk his offensive game probably comes more naturally than his defensive game so by putting him in a bottom-6 role in the AHL it forces him to concentrate on his defence until it becomes an automatism. I'd think it's also faster to learn that way as they are more defensive situations encountered and it's normally against the top offensive lines. If he only plays in a top-6 he might put up points in the AHL and maybe warrant a call-up but if he can't be decent on defence he likely won't be able to stick (unless his offensive production is off the charts).

A demotion to a lower line is not always a "punishment" - sometimes it's to help a player to reset his game in a less pressurised position - get his confidence back by not feeling under pressure to put up points while still contributing. I think more experienced players are more able to deal with cold streaks - they'll stick to their game and not try and force things.
For Shinkaruk, Burke commented that he wasn't playing well - as for Conacher it seems that he's just not putting up points. Or has he been playing worse than Shinkaruk? Can Shinkaruk play right wing?

As we're talking Shinkaruk - I was wondering - how good is he at generating his own offence?

"For Shinkaruk, Burke commented that he wasn't playing well - as for Conacher it seems that he's just not putting up points."

This is an accurate explanation based on what I've seen as well.

"Can he be the driver on a line?"

Not at this point in his career. He needs to be set up, he is not the main man.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I completely agree with what you said. Can't have players that can't play defense worth 1 cent playing in your top 6.

But to be honestly, I don't even think Shinkaruk's that bad defensively. He's never going to be a Burrows but his defensive game is serviceable. Never seen him really make a blatant mistake defensively.

Never seen him along the boards when a pass comes up the wing from the opponent and he can't intercept the pass or get it past the pinch or can't win the puck battle and the offensive flow starts all over again or his inability to stop the point man from passing the puck past him into the circle or fail to stop a pass and then shot from the circle to the point and then the point shot? Boy, I sure have. I love Shink, but he has tons to learn before he becomes a consistent top 6 AHL player let alone latch on with the Canucks.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
If you have truly been watching, you could easily answer your own questions. The only thing to interfere with the actual answers is your own bull-headed insistence that the "prospects" be placed in the highest, most elite positions and the team losing is fine as long as the former is carried out.

You have some serious Jeckyl and Hyde. On this thread you are chummy with the heavy critics of the Comets' lineup, while on the Comets' thread you are very supportive and genuinely in support of the on ice efforts. This "the prospects must play thing" will never be settled if it goes on for the next 100 years. It has two distinct lines of thought and very few if any will cross lines and so be it. Not posting because of the heat or lambasting opponents of a particular view won't make the points of view go away either. This simply goes on as long as people are willing to keep repeating the sames points ad nauseum.

There are 2 threads for a reason BG.

This is a AHL winning vs Development thread. Where I post my displeasures that the prospects aren't getting enough ice time.

Then there is the AHL thread where I keep things civil. And don't lash out with my feelings towards how the team is run because I don't feel it's the place. If I were to show my dis pleasures towards the lineup decisions in the Utica thread I'd be clouding it up with useless ranting instead of usefull information that users try to find in that thread. Like your write ups or Ocratown's or maybe even my gifs. Why should I selfishly fill it with my opinions about line up decisions. Nobody wants to see people rant about those. That's why this thread was created. And that is where I voice my opinion.

If you want to call that Jeckyl and Hyde so be it. I just don't want to selfishly take up 3 pages on a otherwise useful thread like the Utica thread to complain about the lineup.

Also, I don't understand why I can't cheer for the Canucks farm team and want them to win and both be critical of the way the team is run? I still want the comets to win, but I also want the comets to develop our young prospects. This isn't a black and white issue.

First, let's look at your insistence that Shink should be top 6 because he is tied for the team playoff goal lead. That goal number is 3! He scored two of them in the first 2 games vs. Chicago. He has 1 in the next 8! He was in the the top 6 until he went back to being early season Shink failing to take passes directly to him, flubbing his own passes, unable to win any puck battles in his own end on the high boards or vs. the point man, being pasted to the boards on his rushes, puck hogging and turning it over, late on the forecheck, late in his passing lanes on the backcheck, running around trying trying to block passes and shots while always arriving after said events have taken place (working his butt off, but accomplishing nothing due to slowness or incorrect routes.), and finally failing to convert passes from his linemates after they did all the work for him. In summation, he's not top 6 because his play moved him down the ladder. He is in charge of how high up the depth chart he plays by his on ice performance. Frankly, aside from a quick flash or 2 he has vanished in the latter games and is cruising for another scratch, but Jensen may beat him to it.

Who is beating him out of a top 6 spot? Jensen? You could argue Gaunce. But honestly lets look at the top 6 last game.

Baertschi (2g,5a,7pts)- O'Reilly (0g,10a,10pts) - Grenier (3g,6a,9pts)
Jensen (1g, 1a, 2pts) - Friesen (2g, 5a, 7pts) - Conacher (1g,0a,1pt)

Shinkaruk's outplayed both Jensen and Conacher. Also, why is Conacher on the 1st unit? There is absolutely no reason to demote Hunter after a bad game with players that are preforming worse than he is. Conacher has been absolutely invisible and he's still getting spoonfed more PP minutes than Shinkaruk. Can you not see this bias?

Clendening is third pairing because he is an icing machine. He makes breakout passes at slap shot velocity waist to head high. These become long ice turnovers or icings. His long stretch passes, his other favorite play, are often at the same velocity and elevation. No one in the game can take these passes in either situation. He appears to have labeled some guys as unworthy of his passes and won't pass to them so he isn't on the ice with them. He is walked by the stronger skating forwards and D on the break. He is weak in offside D coverage, not physically strong enough to box the off forward out. He makes 3 cute little side steps left or right on the offensive blueline and then dumps the puck wide of the net due to no shooting lane rather than walking the line, working with his partner, and finding a forward working to open space for him. The guy flat out has no patience! When it sets up for him the way he envisions it, he's good, but the game changes too fast for his perfect situations to exist. Incidentally Green often starts his third line and then mixes the other three up in no particular order so watching his D-pairs switch around as well is normal. Calling the D-pairs 1,2, or 3 is random luck. Clendening also has 3 goals and 2 were in the Chicago series. He has one in the last 6 albeit a huge one.

Clendening still on the 2nd unit power play for the whole time he's been in Utica. A guy we got to develop into a player that might eventually run the Canucks power play one day is getting snuffed out of the 1st unit power play by a AHL vet. That's the major problem.

Gaunce WAS employed with the current top 6 in different combinations and clearly could not keep up as a wing with their weaving style and high speed rushes. So he ended up playing the high forward arriving late or guarding against the quick breakout on the turnover. He has been getting late PP and late PK time and has been doing well in both situations especially taking advantage of personnel changes on those special units. Gaunce has 3 goals in 8 games and 2 came in the same game after he was scratched from the previous 2 for inconsistent play. His play since has lived up to expectations.

As I said before. The prospects literally have to play the game of their lives and Gaunce has been playing extremely well to get promoted. And if they aren't consistent it's an instant demotion and a vet takes their place. It doesn't matter that even if a prospect is still better than that vet (Conacher, Shinkaruk) the vet will always get the nod. That is not how I want the Canucks development team to be run.

Grenier is where he is because he's doing his job on that unit with skill, speed, tenacity, and few mistakes. The others you mention are (or were in the case of Gaunce) not playing up to their expectations. Comets forwards move up and down the pecking order based on performance and goals are only one of a multitude of expectations. Grenier has three goals and they've come in the last 4 games. His level of play has risen with the team's degree of urgency. Something very uncharacteristic of Alex in his past. This guy is really elevating his stock value in he Canucks' family.

I did not have any complaints about how Green has handled Grenier.

"But If I had to guess I'd guess Shinkaruk when playing on the 4th line got about ~12 minutes of ice time."

If you believe DeFazio's line only gets 12 minutes, you probably better use a stop watch next game and keep track. I think you are lowballing this one.

Shinkaruk, doesn't kill penalties. Shinkaruk doesn't get ice time in a close game last 3 minutes. So yes I would predict that Shinkaruk, when playing on DeFazio's line, is getting about 12 minutes a game.

"The big pet peeve I have is that Shinkaruk is being religated to the 4th line after he went cold for a few games. But Conacher still is playing in the top 6 after being cold for ever.

Conacher has been a constant threat and always makes things happen. Shink is using vanishing cream.

Conacher is really good in scrums. Other than that I haven't noticed him this series.

You're lying to yourself if you think other wise.

Never seen him along the boards when a pass comes up the wing from the opponent and he can't intercept the pass or get it past the pinch or can't win the puck battle and the offensive flow starts all over again or his inability to stop the point man from passing the puck past him into the circle or fail to stop a pass and then shot from the circle to the point and then the point shot? Boy, I sure have. I love Shink, but he has tons to learn before he becomes a consistent top 6 AHL player let alone latch on with the Canucks.

This is the reason why we have a god damn farm team.

Throw Shinkaruk into the top 6 and see if he sinks or swims. This is exactly what the Canucks did with Horvat. By the end of the season when Green finally did put Shinkaruk on the top line guess what happened? You know 15 points in 17 games. As soon as he cooled down a bit he instantly got demoted.

If he makes some defensive mistakes, let him. If he doesn't always make the right play, show him how to make the right play. Instead of instantly giving up on him and throwing next to AHL grinders that have absolutely no finish like DeFazio. That's just poor coaching and poor development.

In conclusion

There is a balance to all this. Development vs Winning, however I think that the way the current team is run is not putting enough effort in development and too much effort into winning. I'd much rather have our prospects get a actual important role on the team. The way it is now they are just passengers going along with the ride. Our prospects need to create their own success and be a big part of a successful team. Not just dragged around by a veteran team. Anybody can stack their team with vets and make a deep playoff run. But that doesn't necessarily benefit the prospects. Just look no further than the Marlies. Had multiple deep playoff runs but produced nearly nothing in terms of prospects.

In the end the AHL will always be a development league.

Last edited:

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
I understand the McCann for Zalewski calls. McCann can fill that same role while hopefully providing more offensive jump. He can also be moved up the line-up if he plays well. You're not really losing anything by removing Zalewski.

The Virtanen for Bancks calls are a little stranger. Bancks is an excellent PK player and despite limited skill, is a very good defensive player. Virtanen is not any of those things, he's an offensive player that didn't separate himself from the pack in the WHL. If anyone is coming out for Virtanen, it's Jensen. They fill the same role but I'm still not convinced that Virtanen would actually outplay Jensen.

I think it'd be worthwhile to give him some game action and see how he does, even though I know he's not showing much indication he could actually help them right now in any particular way other than providing physical play. But maybe he can help drive possession in some sort of role. Part of me hopes that being on a pro team will up his effort level on the defensive end rather than just picking his spots on when to backcheck.

But obviously this is all premised on JV actually making the Comets better in at least a minor role. He might well need sheltering and bottom 6 usage but if he can't even manage to contribute then, that's kind of a troubling sign as a 6th OA pick. In that case yeah you'd have to take him out for somebody else.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
You have some serious Jeckyl and Hyde. On this thread you are chummy with the heavy critics of the Comets' lineup, while on the Comets' thread you are very supportive and genuinely in support of the on ice efforts.

why should anyone care about this? are you kidding me?

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012

This is a AHL winning vs Development thread. Where I post my displeasures that the prospects aren't getting enough ice time.

Then there is the AHL thread where I keep things civil. And don't lash out with my feelings towards how the team is run because I don't feel it's the place. If I were to show my dis pleasures towards the lineup decisions in the Utica thread I'd be clouding it up with useless ranting instead of usefull information that users try to find in that thread. Like your write ups or Ocratown's or maybe even my gifs. Why should I selfishly fill it with my opinions about line up decisions. Nobody wants to see people rant about those. That's why this thread was created. And that is where I voice my opinion.

If you want to call that Jeckyl and Hyde so be it. I just don't want to selfishly take up 3 pages on a otherwise useful thread like the Utica thread to complain about the lineup.

Also, I don't understand why I can't cheer for the Canucks farm team and want them to win and both be critical of the way the team is run? I still want the comets to win, but I also want the comets to develop our young prospects. This isn't a black and white issue.

Who is beating him out of a top 6 spot? Jensen? You could argue Gaunce. But honestly lets look at the top 6 last game.

Shinkaruk's outplayed both Jensen and Conacher. Also, why is Conacher on the 1st unit? There is absolutely no reason to demote Hunter after a bad game with players that are preforming worse than he is. Conacher has been absolutely invisible and he's still getting spoonfed more PP minutes than Shinkaruk. Can you not see this bias?

Clendening still on the 2nd unit power play for the whole time he's been in Utica. A guy we got to develop into a player that might eventually run the Canucks power play one day is getting snuffed out of the 1st unit power play by a AHL vet. That's the major problem.

As I said before. The prospects literally have to play the game of their lives and Gaunce has been playing extremely well to get promoted. And if they aren't consistent it's an instant demotion and a vet takes their place. It doesn't matter that even if a prospect is still better than that vet (Conacher, Shinkaruk) the vet will always get the nod. That is not how I want the Canucks development team to be run.

Shinkaruk, doesn't kill penalties. Shinkaruk doesn't get ice time in a close game last 3 minutes. So yes I would predict that Shinkaruk, when playing on DeFazio's line, is getting about 12 minutes a game.

Conacher is really good in scrums. Other than that I haven't noticed him this series.

Throw Shinkaruk into the top 6 and see if he sinks or swims. This is exactly what the Canucks did with Horvat. By the end of the season when Green finally did put Shinkaruk on the top line guess what happened? You know 15 points in 17 games. As soon as he cooled down a bit he instantly got demoted.

If he makes some defensive mistakes, let him. If he doesn't always make the right play, show him how to make the right play. Instead of instantly giving up on him and throwing next to AHL grinders that have absolutely no finish like DeFazio. That's just poor coaching and poor development.

In conclusion

There is a balance to all this. Development vs Winning, however I think that the way the current team is run is not putting enough effort in development and too much effort into winning. I'd much rather have our prospects get a actual important role on the team. The way it is now they are just passengers going along with the ride. Our prospects need to create their own success and be a big part of a successful team. Not just dragged around by a veteran team. Anybody can stack their team with vets and make a deep playoff run. But that doesn't necessarily benefit the prospects. Just look no further than the Marlies. Had multiple deep playoff runs but produced nearly nothing in terms of prospects.

Man are you really watching these games ? Conacher has been FAR superior than Shink AINEC. Your shiny new toy syndrome is obvious but I'll just agree to disagree with you. You get better playing time when you earn not, you should never be "gifted" it. Development is about being good enough to beat other players out. Shink will eventually but he isn't now.

Zaddy91

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver

Guranetee theres no response to this and it continues

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

Look, Gaunce has worked his way onto the second PP unit and 2 of his 3 playoff goals are on the PP. He is proving what Green has said all along, players work their way up and down the lineup by their on ice performance.

Shink has been on and off the PP all season long by virtue of his rookie inconsistency. He has been there during the playoffs as well.

So unlike Willie, Green has given them the opportunities on multiple occasions. Next season their opportunities will increase as their game becomes more consistent. It is a developmental league with specific rules on veterans and prospects at various stages in their league eligibility. It is all league controlled to protect prospects, guard against top heavy veteran teams as well as teams going all youth and players being fed to the wolves. Gaunce, Corrado, Shinkaruk, Grenier, Clendening, Friesen, DeFazio to name a quick group are all in various stages of development and are doing so quite well. A couple here may be out of time, a couple more are on the cusp of NHLdom, and a couple are not ready yet no matter how much the arm chair GMs want to force them into the fray. You could get very good odds from a bookie that Shinkaruk and Gaunce are center pieces on the Comets next season.

Zaddy91

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
Do you ever have anything of value to contribute? He responded above.

Yea posting hockey db numbers and saying Shinkaruk should play over conacher and if he doesn't the organization is ruining the purpose of the AHL

is really contributing, also dropping the word scrum only 3 times

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
I think talk of winning vs development is interesting and appropriate during the AHL regular season. But when the team is in the playoffs it's really about winning. Winning is developmental, losing sucks at everything.

I also think some people underestimate the development role of AHL veterans. Young players need role models to show them how to succeed in the professional game. The vets show the young guys how you have to play to earn ice time and special teams roles.

Finally - it's a team game. Who the coach rewards with ice time and starting roles says a lot about who contributes the most to the team's success. Giving a player a role he hasn't earned undermines the room. I'm not saying that Shinkaruk hasn't contributed. But he's been inconsistent, most likey due to his lack of strength and recovery from injury. But the team has to believe that the coach is going to dress the lineup that gives them the best change to win every night.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

In conclusion

"If you want to call that Jeckyl and Hyde so be it. I just don't want to selfishly take up 3 pages on a otherwise useful thread like the Utica thread to complain about the lineup."

I clearly see this logic. I was not criticizing the fact either. I was merely illustrating my thoughts on the two different trains of thought. We're cool.

"I still want the comets to win, but I also want the comets to develop our young prospects. This isn't a black and white issue."

We both want exactly the same thing. However, we disagree on the overall plan for how that happens. I accept the way it's being done and you don't. I respect your philosophy and would expect the same in return. That allows us to agree and disagree where our thought patterns cross, meet, and diverge. In the long haul, our relationship remains civil and mature and I like that.

"Clendening still on the 2nd unit power play for the whole time he's been in Utica. A guy we got to develop into a player that might eventually run the Canucks power play one day is getting snuffed out of the 1st unit power play by a AHL vet."

We really don't see eye to eye on this one. The guy under contract to the Canucks who should be running their PP is the AHL vet you wish to have Adam displace. If Clendening ever is selected to run the Canuks PP I can't wait to see the GDTs explode with the reaction to his performance. That guy will not end up with that position under any coach. Maybe some second unit work like he's doing in Utica, but he is not the of the proper mindset to QB a PP. His impatience alone removes him from the spot. His hot head and inability to curb his emotions gets in the way as well. As I detailed earlier his impatience with the puck at the blue line sees him derail sustained offensive pressure by his own doing. For example dumping the puck wide of the net on purpose with no intended pass because his shooting lane is blocked is not the way to run a PP.

"It doesn't matter that even if a prospect is still better than that vet (Conacher, Shinkaruk) the vet will always get the nod."

Totally disagree. If a prospect is better he will 100% be placed above all competitors other prospect or vet. The issue here is that your wishes are clogging up your reality and fogging up your rosy glasses.
Shinkaruk is in no way, shape, or form better than Conacher nor is he outplaying him. Conacher has not been putting the puck in the net, correct. He is, however, a threat every time he is on the ice. That is why the Barons are so intent on finding ways to shut him down and yet he is still causing all kinds of problems for them in their end. Shink has taken a disappearing pill. He flashes a good shift maybe once a period. They have beat his will down. He refuses to go to find open space. The other night he tried to insert himself between the outside of the post and a D-man. That's not exactly open. A shot trickled in and Shink ate composite material and ice. He was flattened. He's not a power forward! He doesn't belong fighting 6'5' D-men in the crease. He needs to find the spaces where he can get off the good shot. He should be using his skills and guile to flash in and out of the openings and drive the D nuts trying to find him. He should be using Cory as a mentor because he does what Shink should be dfoing minus all the agitating that Conacher also does, but he still plays likr he thinks he's dominating Jr. D schemes. Every once in a while he has an epiphany and actually does the right thing and he is absolutely dangerous. That's when he scores. He does this a couple times a game. This is the Hunter who will be first line here and top 6 up there. Like Gaunce it is process in motion. They are getting it, but it won't be this season. Watch for amazing changes next year as they use what they are absorbing to develop a consistent nightly game plan.

As to Shinkaruk's line assignment, Green has mixed his lines every few games all season long. There was a major article in this morning's Utica OD on the Gaunce/Hamilton/Bancks line. Green was singing each of their praises and what they bring to the line and what their unit does for the team and how it's preparing Gaunce for the next level. He fully expects Gauncie to play in Vancouver. In case you didn't know it, they are the one line he tries to keep intact when all three players are healthy. Wacey is another Medicine hat guy! Bancks competed against him in Lethbridge. They were similar players who respected each others game and always thought they'd be good together. So when Vancouver united them this season for Utica, it was a natural fit. 2 more WHL boys in the Benning/Willie D hockey mind set. That may make more sense to you now as to what's going on or not.

I'm good with this for now. Comets at home tonight. Hopefully you keep doing your fantastic job for the fans who want to see some of the highlights. I'll probably check out the site tomorrow. Maybe tonight. I don't really know. I'm pretty nervous already, but think they just might put this one away tonight.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Look, Gaunce has worked his way onto the second PP unit and 2 of his 3 playoff goals are on the PP. He is proving what Green has said all along, players work their way up and down the lineup by their on ice performance.

Shink has been on and off the PP all season long by virtue of his rookie inconsistency. He has been there during the playoffs as well.

So unlike Willie, Green has given them the opportunities on multiple occasions. Next season their opportunities will increase as their game becomes more consistent. It is a developmental league with specific rules on veterans and prospects at various stages in their league eligibility. It is all league controlled to protect prospects, guard against top heavy veteran teams as well as teams going all youth and players being fed to the wolves. Gaunce, Corrado, Shinkaruk, Grenier, Clendening, Friesen, DeFazio to name a quick group are all in various stages of development and are doing so quite well. A couple here may be out of time, a couple more are on the cusp of NHLdom, and a couple are not ready yet no matter how much the arm chair GMs want to force them into the fray. You could get very good odds from a bookie that Shinkaruk and Gaunce are center pieces on the Comets next season.
"It doesn't matter that even if a prospect is still better than that vet (Conacher, Shinkaruk) the vet will always get the nod."

Totally disagree. If a prospect is better he will 100% be placed above all competitors other prospect or vet. The issue here is that your wishes are clogging up your reality and fogging up your rosy glasses.
Shinkaruk is in no way, shape, or form better than Conacher nor is he outplaying him. Conacher has not been putting the puck in the net, correct. He is, however, a threat every time he is on the ice. That is why the Barons are so intent on finding ways to shut him down and yet he is still causing all kinds of problems for them in their end. Shink has taken a disappearing pill. He flashes a good shift maybe once a period. They have beat his will down. He refuses to go to find open space. The other night he tried to insert himself between the outside of the post and a D-man. That's not exactly open. A shot trickled in and Shink ate composite material and ice. He was flattened. He's not a power forward! He doesn't belong fighting 6'5' D-men in the crease. He needs to find the spaces where he can get off the good shot. He should be using his skills and guile to flash in and out of the openings and drive the D nuts trying to find him. He should be using Cory as a mentor because he does what Shink should be dfoing minus all the agitating that Conacher also does, but he still plays likr he thinks he's dominating Jr. D schemes. Every once in a while he has an epiphany and actually does the right thing and he is absolutely dangerous. That's when he scores. He does this a couple times a game. This is the Hunter who will be first line here and top 6 up there. Like Gaunce it is process in motion. They are getting it, but it won't be this season. Watch for amazing changes next year as they use what they are absorbing to develop a consistent nightly game plan.

As to Shinkaruk's line assignment, Green has mixed his lines every few games all season long. There was a major article in this morning's Utica OD on the Gaunce/Hamilton/Bancks line. Green was singing each of their praises and what they bring to the line and what their unit does for the team and how it's preparing Gaunce for the next level. He fully expects Gauncie to play in Vancouver. In case you didn't know it, they are the one line he tries to keep intact when all three players are healthy. Wacey is another Medicine hat guy! Bancks competed against him in Lethbridge. They were similar players who respected each others game and always thought they'd be good together. So when Vancouver united them this season for Utica, it was a natural fit. 2 more WHL boys in the Benning/Willie D hockey mind set. That may make more sense to you now as to what's going on or not.

I realize that there are more opportunities to move up the lineup and get power play time on the Comets than on the Canucks. But that doesn't excuse Green from not acting faster.

Conacher has 1 goal in 10 games. All while getting #1 power play time. On a power play that sucks.

Let's substitute Conacher for Shinkaruk for a second. Do you really think that if Shinkaruk had 1 point in 10 games that he'd still be on the 1st unit power play? Would Shinkaruk even be in the lineup? I'd imagine he'd even get scratched.

Get my point? Look how long a AHL vet's leash is compared to Shinkaruk, that is not fair to Shinkaruk. Even if he is inconsistent and plays a bad game he should be treated like every single other player on this team (maybe even better IMO). Not worse because he's a rookie. This is a developmental league, we shouldn't be giving our prospects short leashes at this level. This is the stage where we lengthen the leash, let them make mistakes and learn from them so that when they come to the NHL they won't make those mistakes.

"I still want the comets to win, but I also want the comets to develop our young prospects. This isn't a black and white issue."

We both want exactly the same thing. However, we disagree on the overall plan for how that happens. I accept the way it's being done and you don't. I respect your philosophy and would expect the same in return. That allows us to agree and disagree where our thought patterns cross, meet, and diverge. In the long haul, our relationship remains civil and mature and I like that.

I agree.

"Clendening still on the 2nd unit power play for the whole time he's been in Utica. A guy we got to develop into a player that might eventually run the Canucks power play one day is getting snuffed out of the 1st unit power play by a AHL vet."

We really don't see eye to eye on this one. The guy under contract to the Canucks who should be running their PP is the AHL vet you wish to have Adam displace. If Clendening ever is selected to run the Canuks PP I can't wait to see the GDTs explode with the reaction to his performance. That guy will not end up with that position under any coach. Maybe some second unit work like he's doing in Utica, but he is not the of the proper mindset to QB a PP. His impatience alone removes him from the spot. His hot head and inability to curb his emotions gets in the way as well. As I detailed earlier his impatience with the puck at the blue line sees him derail sustained offensive pressure by his own doing. For example dumping the puck wide of the net on purpose with no intended pass because his shooting lane is blocked is not the way to run a PP.

Clendening looked fine on the 1st unit in Vancouver, In fact he looked great on the 2nd unit in Van too.

That second unit power play that the Comets have just absolutely sucks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad