Denver Post: The Varlamov Investigation: Part II *Read the MOD WARNING in post #1*

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Landeslog

Nov 17, 2009
Denver
Thanks for the insight.

I'm currently doing sports psychology, it's not particularly related but it has enough to know that the story doesn't quite match the personality he appears to have judging by his interviews and team opinions on him.

If he was only 'crazy' while drinking you would think someone would have seen/said something seeing as he's a professional athlete going drinking/partying after winning/games/days off/off season is part of the sports culture.

I don't want to say it didn't happen I just find it very hard to believe based on what I've seen/know about him that he would be capable of any of the things she is saying he has done.

Cool! I always wished I had gotten it to sports psychology more!

And yeah, it's hard to hide an alcohol related violence problem considering how many people drink in public and around people and not just at home. Not saying it's impossible but it's less likely.

Although, the #1 rule in counseling psychology is to never diagnose someone you've never met before. So all this speculation could just be a waste of time considering most of us have never met him

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I'm all for keeping things mostly news and update related.

My last thoughts on this, and I won't comment from solely my own opinion from here on. I know character defamation is SOP in these type of cases but she is trying way too hard. If you know you have a good case you let the facts speak for themselves. I find it interesting how quiet his camp has been. No version of the events, no comments about her. That's not a bad thing at all and certainly offers quite a stark contrast to how her camp is handling it. I do think there is a grey area and the truth is somewhere in the middle. I can believe some sort of fight happened, maybe there was some force applied but it has been blown way, way out of proportion. I go back to the definition of what the initial charge was, negligence without the intent to harm. That I can believe is what happened and the closest to where the truth lies. I do not think he should have his career ruined over that. We'll see what happens, hopefully the truth can come out.

DanglesFromDuchene

Sep 8, 2013
I'm all for keeping things mostly news and update related.

My last thoughts on this, and I won't comment from solely my own opinion from here on. I know character defamation is SOP in these type of cases but she is trying way too hard. If you know you have a good case you let the facts speak for themselves. I find it interesting how quiet his camp has been. No version of the events, no comments about her. That's not a bad thing at all and certainly offers quite a stark contrast to how her camp is handling it. I do think there is a grey area and the truth is somewhere in the middle. I can believe some sort of fight happened, maybe there was some force applied but it has been blown way, way out of proportion. I go back to the definition of what the initial charge was, negligence without the intent to harm. That I can believe is what happened and the closest to where the truth lies. I do not think he should have his career ruined over that. We'll see what happens, hopefully the truth can come out.

This. My opinion almost mirrors it exactly. I'm not saying either one is a liar at this point it's still impossible to be completely unbiased and "pick a side" , but her inconsistencies and what you have stated really make me believe that Varlamov is innocent.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I'll attempt to divert the attention from profiling complete strangers to all of us here......

Does anyone actually know what Varlamov's citizenship status is, or is he a green card holder? I am guessing the fiancee does not have a green card yet.

If Varlamov was convicted of domestic violence and not a US citizen, he may be subject to deportation.

Under Section 237 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (I.N.A.), any noncitizen convicted after September 30, 1996 of domestic violence, stalking, child abuse, child neglect, or child abandonment, is deportable. It doesn’t matter how long the person has held the visa or green card – committing the crime at any time after being admitted to the U.S. is sufficient to make the person deportable.
source

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Nevermind I answered my own question

Another lingering question is Varlamov’s legal status. It is not clear if he is a Russian citizen or has dual citizenship in the United States. Many young Russian hockey players what’s known as a P1-A visa, which is designed for international professional athletes. It requires an applicant to prove their skill and affiliation with a professional team. Visas can be revoked for criminal convictions of even less severe crimes.

If Varlamov did not get his citizenship yet, he could have his visa revoked.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/spo...on-varlamov-travels-with-team-despite-charges

jaems

Apr 16, 2006
that's what i was about to say .

I've been reading all this and some of the comments were inappropriate. Varly will play over the week-end and i believe it's time to turn the page and talk about other things . Maybe we should close this thread and talk about something else .

I feel like it should be kept open because news will trickle in and if there is no thread you know someone is going to create a new thread anyways.

And it doesn't look like sweeping the incident under the rug.

Den

Aug 9, 2005
Stockholm
www.recdir.com
I am not going to watch it, but is that her interview actuallty to DP on the front page?

I wonder how much a DP interview costs? With a tear here and there...

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
The tweet about the diplomats getting in touch with Varly made me think that the people in his corner are not going to go down without a huge fight. The Russians have already brought up Soci and we know how important winning that gold medal is to them.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
The tweet about the diplomats getting in touch with Varly made me think that the people in his corner are not going to go down without a huge fight. The Russians have already brought up Soci and we know how important winning that gold medal is to them.

The fact that Varly and his team basically said "thanks but we've got this" says something as well.

I don't think anyone should be too worried about prison time. He's a millionaire athlete with a top lawyer and she went to a guy who no one has heard of, who specializes in real estate litigation, and whose sales pitch is "small fees, big results".

I just hope he can prove that none of what she said actually happened. I know for the court it's the other way around, they have to prove he's guilty beyond a reasonable doubt but I'm hoping it doesn't even get that far.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
The sad thing is that papers everywhere, even here in Sweden are filled with "he threw her into a wall" etc. Media loves a juicy story. When this gets cleared up, it won't hardly get any attention because that's not a good story. So the damage is already done, in a way.

MvpKinnon

Jul 23, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
pool has two meanings in english, in russian they just use the word for puddle for the second meaning.

Ok thanks for clearing that up

My stance is simple in this matter.. I root for the Avs. If Varly stays part of the Avs, I root for him as well. I don't know the players personally, I just love the team.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
My stance is the same as well. I try not to make personal judgements on the players. If they help the team win then that's why I watch them play. Sure it's easy to like certain players and take more of an interest in them personally but I will always be a fan of the team first.

RTN

Be Kind, Rewind
Aug 28, 2008
I'm sure this has already been mentioned, but from TSN:

his client decided to tell police this time because after the assault she went home and found all her things had been thrown into the hallway and her bank account had been cut off by Varlamov.

"She wants the world to know that this famous star is a mean, nasty and hostile individual," Abrams said.

Maybe something happened, but this seems to be fueled at least in part by bitterness rather than personal safety. Will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

mezcal

Wild Complacency
Feb 19, 2013
CA
Do you guys think that Varlamov will start the next game for the Avs, or Giguere? Just curious, considering that he was cleared to travel until court.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL

Maybe something happened, but this seems to be fueled at least in part by bitterness rather than personal safety. Will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Something is very wrong here. That just doesn't pass the sniff test.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO

What bothers me a little is that they called him "a famous star" like it matters in the context of the story at all. Maybe I'm just nitpicking.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
My stance is the same as well. I try not to make personal judgements on the players. If they help the team win then that's why I watch them play. Sure it's easy to like certain players and take more of an interest in them personally but I will always be a fan of the team first.

I wouldn't be able to root for him if I knew he was a sadistic monster. And I hope and I'm sure the team would get rid of him on the spot in that case.
However, I don't think he's guilty and that's why I'll continue to root for both him and the team when he's in net.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad