Denver Post: The Varlamov Investigation: Part II *Read the MOD WARNING in post #1*

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Guys, we've been warned by the Global Mods to knock it off. I suggest we all heed their warnings. They have their eye on us, and I don't want to see anyone get infracted...or worse.

Let's clean it up NOW

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Alright, first of all, she's not pretty enough to get modeling gigs...so that seems like a huge stretch right there.

Second of all, with all of the inconsistencies we've seen so far, I'm thinking it was more something like this:

Varly: "Svetlana..."
Evgeniya: "My name is Evgeniya!"
Varly: "Right, whatever...listen, we need to talk...remember when I said you could crash on my couch for a while, well, it's been a year."
Evgeniya: "You think YOU can break up with ME?!?
Varly: "Are we going out?"
Evgeniya: "I'll show you, no one does this to ME!!"

While this is an exaggeration, it very well COULD be the desperate act of someone who's trying to cling to whatever she can and more importantly -get a settlement- so she doesn't have to go back to Russia and be a nobody. I'm sort of leaning towards this rather than what Varly's been accused of, since there esentially appears to be ZERO evidence to support it.

If this is too harsh, I apologize, I truly don't know what we CAN write about and CAN'T write about anymore. :(

ChrisNI

Sep 29, 2008
Orillia
I can't help but think with all these 'abuse' stories coming out about Varly that have seemingly been happening for years. Why has no-one ever picked up on any of it?

Are there any other news stories of him doing anything like this before?
Surely someone would have picked up on something during scouting?
If he is as crazy as he is being made out to be wouldn't he have displayed some qualities pointing to this behaviour?

I'm no psychologist but don't 'crazy' people display symptoms in their personality or reactions? So someone, somewhere would have mentioned about some off quality in his personality especially in todays society where you can't do anything without it ending up on facebook or twitter!

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Guys, we've been warned by the Global Mods to knock it off. I suggest we all heed their warnings. They have their eye on us, and I don't want to see anyone get infracted...or worse.

Let's clean it up NOW

It shouldn't take Global Mods for us to stay the course, the Warning(s) I posted in the OP should be enough.

If you guys can't follow the rules that are clear as day, and the warnings that others have placed, you will be removed from the discussion and Warnings/Infractions will follow, end of story.

You guys should know what's in good taste and what's in bad taste. I understand that some people use humor to try and defuse a horrible situation (as I tend to be one of those types of people), but again, the "line" not to cross is pretty clear, stay on the right side of it.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I can't help but think with all these 'abuse' stories coming out about Varly that have seemingly been happening for years. Why has no-one ever picked up on any of it?

If he is as crazy as he is being made out to be wouldn't he have displayed some qualities pointing to this behaviour?

I'm no psychologist but don't 'crazy' people display symptoms in their personality or reactions? So someone, somewhere would have mentioned about some off quality in his personality especially in todays society where you can't do anything without it ending up on facebook or twitter!

Seems like what she's saying is that he's fine when sober but when he drinks it's a whole other matter. I guess that could be the case, fortunately for me I haven't seen this kind of behavior first hand to comment on it.

Bear of Bad News

"The Worst Guy on the Site" - user feedback
Sep 27, 2005
If this is too harsh, I apologize, I truly don't know what we CAN write about and CAN'T write about anymore. :(

This is fine.

It's okay to discuss things.

If you feel the need to make jokes, think about who's likely to be offended.

Landeslog

Nov 17, 2009
Denver

Well I'm half a psychologist (haven't gotten my Masters yet but I have a Bachelor's) and it depends.
The amount of violence he's being accused of displaying would be hard to hide because it seems so uncontrolled. It's unlikely he would have the personality or mental ability beat someone to the point of unconsciousness and try to drown them without some sort of previous criminal record the showed violence (fighting, etc)
Unfortunately, him spending his entire time in Russia until 2009 makes it hard to know his criminal history. We do know that he has a clean record for his entire time in the United States.
It's common in domestic abuse cases that the abuser is able to completely hide his abusive ways but mostly because they're using their victim as an outlet to their anger and violence. That's why abusers, although often seeming nice on the outside, often have some sort of violent history (fighting in grade school, bar fight, abuse in previous relationships, etc).
Unless former girlfriends of Varly come in and back her up or we find out about violent tendencies from his time in Russia, I have a hard time believing that he is all of a sudden a psychopath, but only to her.

Also, the level of violence she is accusing him of is more than what's typical of your average batterer and someone that just has an anger/violence problem. It's completely mental.

mattand1mixtape

Apr 2, 2013
Hey guys, not sure if this has been posted yet, it is probably what we already know, but its Al and Dmac on the fan talking about the situation. At about 7:14 (till the end of the segment) they take a commercial break to both call their lawyer friends. Dmac states that his lawyer friend, who is very connected (knows everyone) to the city of Denver, has never even heard of this lawyer. Also the lawyer is the boyfriend (fiance?) of the victims best friend. The fact that he went to the media first, really makes you think that he is trying to make a name for himself. Im not saying that is a fact but it really makes you wonder. Heres the link guys and gals.
http://www.1043thefan.com/thedrive/
-The varly talk starts around 20 minutes from the end on hour THREE, Dater talks at 18:30 (not that he provides anything useful anyway), and the talk after the lawyer phone calls are at 7:14. I know this is probably information you guys already know, but Al and Dmac do a great job of constructing good insight. This entire situation really makes you realize that pro athletes are humans too..

Landeslog

Nov 17, 2009
Denver
Hey guys, not sure if this has been posted yet, it is probably what we already know, but its Al and Dmac on the fan talking about the situation. At about 7:14 (till the end of the segment) they take a commercial break to both call their lawyer friends. Dmac states that his lawyer friend, who is very connected (knows everyone) to the city of Denver, has never even heard of this lawyer. Also the lawyer is the boyfriend (fiance?) of the victims best friend. The fact that he went to the media first, really makes you think that he is trying to make a name for himself. Im not saying that is a fact but it really makes you wonder. Heres the link guys and gals.
http://www.1043thefan.com/thedrive/
-The varly talk starts around 20 minutes from the end on hour THREE, Dater talks at 18:30 (not that he provides anything useful anyway), and the talk after the lawyer phone calls are at 7:14. I know this is probably information you guys already know, but Al and Dmac do a great job of constructing good insight. This entire situation really makes you realize that pro athletes are humans too..

Cool, thanks for posting.
I usually listen to Al and Dmac but finished work early today and didn't get a chance to listen.
Dmac has insane connections around the city so I believe him in this. I'm glad they're being a little speculative, several other radio shows I heard today bashed Varly without even considering he may be innocent

SB

Mar 9, 2004
Colorado
Well I'm half a psychologist (haven't gotten my Masters yet but I have a Bachelor's) and it depends.
The amount of violence he's being accused of displaying would be hard to hide because it seems so uncontrolled. It's unlikely he would have the personality or mental ability beat someone to the point of unconsciousness and try to drown them without some sort of previous criminal record the showed violence (fighting, etc)
Unfortunately, him spending his entire time in Russia until 2009 makes it hard to know his criminal history. We do know that he has a clean record for his entire time in the United States.
It's common in domestic abuse cases that the abuser is able to completely hide his abusive ways but mostly because they're using their victim as an outlet to their anger and violence. That's why abusers, although often seeming nice on the outside, often have some sort of violent history (fighting in grade school, bar fight, abuse in previous relationships, etc).
Unless former girlfriends of Varly come in and back her up or we find out about violent tendencies from his time in Russia, I have a hard time believing that he is all of a sudden a psychopath, but only to her.

Also, the level of violence she is accusing him of is more than what's typical of your average batterer and someone that just has an anger/violence problem. It's completely mental.

Agreed. One or the other is basically insane; there is no longer any gray area.

Landeslog

Nov 17, 2009
Denver
Agreed. One or the other is basically insane; there is no longer any gray area.

I still think it's possible he may have grabbed her a little rough and maybe threw her down or something. She probably went to her sleazy friend and she saw an opportunity to make her sleazy lawyer fiance a lot of money.
And it's going to come back to bite them in the butt because the more accusations, the easier it will be to prove one false giving a jury reasonable doubt that the rest of it is true

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
Cant wait till we can focus on hockey again

that's what i was about to say .

I've been reading all this and some of the comments were inappropriate. Varly will play over the week-end and i believe it's time to turn the page and talk about other things . Maybe we should close this thread and talk about something else .

avspatti

Dec 1, 2003
Colorado
Visit site
I'm inclined to side with Varly due to a personal experience with an ex-gf who threatened to sue me because I dumped her which caused her emotional stress. I told her if she did, I'd bring the hospital bills that she refused to pay for when she got on web-md and freaked out and went to get tests for no reason. She left me alone after that.

IF, big IF this is all true, then WHY does this woman continue to come back to Denver to live with him? They are not married. Apparently, she lives in Russia but travels here to live with Varly. WHY? $$$$ Very suspicious story imo.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I'm still 50/50 on whether he did something. I don't understand why people think they can be the judge of this and come to such *concrete* solutions that Varlamov did or didn't do something.

Just goes to show how powerful the media and the NHL can sway someone's opinion. Honestly it's quite scary and a testament to our society.

SB

Mar 9, 2004
Colorado
I still think it's possible he may have grabbed her a little rough and maybe threw her down or something. She probably went to her sleazy friend and she saw an opportunity to make her sleazy lawyer fiance a lot of money.
And it's going to come back to bite them in the butt because the more accusations, the easier it will be to prove one false giving a jury reasonable doubt that the rest of it is true

That's what I thought initially -- and that was the gray area. But after the accusations of today? Someone is bat-**** crazy.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
IMO I think we need a place to put all the news. If this thread was closed, new ones would start after any new piece of information and they would be as big of mess as any of the others have been.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
that's what i was about to say .

I've been reading all this and some of the comments were inappropriate. Varly will play over the week-end and i believe it's time to turn the page and talk about other things . Maybe we should close this thread and talk about something else .

Can't we keep it open as long as no one posts something stupid? There seem to be quite a few updates on twitter from various sources and apparently the DA will charge him at some point (if they think they have enough evidence). Varly and his lawyer will also have to speak publicly at some point. IMO, that's worth discussing.

Sheet

Apr 1, 2013
Lock him up beating on women is pretty lame. And I would say the girl is pretty dumb as well. Her not leaving after the first time.

Yeah might as well just sentence him already. Clearly everything that woman said is undisputed fact and Varly is clearly a felon.

Seriously. There's so much sentiment like this it's absolutely astonishing. You'd wake up feeling a lot differently if I filed a false report about you and put you through this, just to be found innocent.

There has been no trial, but apparently you're judge and jury.

Just astonishing.

DISCLAIMER. I am in no way saying this is a false report. Until the actual verdict is out on this, I will neither believe nor disbelieve it. All I'm trying to do here is make a point. I know statistics show false reports are a minority, however it still happens. The fact a civil suit pending makes me very wary.

Side note. This lawyer that is representing his accuser seems like... not someone I'm going to for counsel.

ChrisNI

Sep 29, 2008
Orillia

Thanks for the insight.

I'm currently doing sports psychology, it's not particularly related but it has enough to know that the story doesn't quite match the personality he appears to have judging by his interviews and team opinions on him.

If he was only 'crazy' while drinking you would think someone would have seen/said something seeing as he's a professional athlete going drinking/partying after winning/games/days off/off season is part of the sports culture.

I don't want to say it didn't happen I just find it very hard to believe based on what I've seen/know about him that he would be capable of any of the things she is saying he has done.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
IMO I think we need a place to put all the news. If this thread was closed, new ones would start after any new piece of information and they would be as big of mess as any of the others have been.

Can't we keep it open as long as no one posts something stupid? There seem to be quite a few updates on twitter from various sources and apparently the DA will charge him at some point (if they think they have enough evidence). Varly and his lawyer will also have to speak publicly at some point. IMO, that's worth discussing.

if you're able to keep it civil , i dont mind , but sooner of later someone will make another bad joke and it will go downhill again .

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Here Here.

I would be all for a factual thread only with confirmed sources, instead of digesting 3,000 posts from wanna be Nancy Graces.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
if you're able to keep it civil , i dont mind , but sooner of later someone will make another bad joke and it will go downhill again .

Don't allow the inmates to be in charge. :sarcasm:

That is a good point, but I think that will happen with this thread open or not. Some people can't control themselves, and the line isn't exactly clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad