OT - NO POLITICS The TV thread - RIP Miss Jean - Boston's Romper Room teacher

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Two recent favorites:
5 Days at Memorial - hospital drama during hurricane Katrina and aftermath
Black Bird - HS football star sentenced to 10 years takes a deal to reduce his sentence by going into prison for criminally insane to get evidence on a serial killer
Both were top notch. Black Bird was one of the best series the past decade IMO

The Patient on Hulu is absolutely fantastic.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Actually, NBC auditioned a lot of people to play Sam, including Fred Dryer and someone more famous who I cannot recall. Edit, might have been John Lithgow, who was first choice for Fraiser.

I think they originally wrote it with Dryer in mind and the concept was that Sam was a former pro football player, but when Danson beat him out with his physique they decided that baseball player was more realistic.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Apologize if this isn’t in the spirit of this thread, but are we Canadians stuck with Sportsnet Now for streaming Bruins games this year?

Just heard you can’t start a game at the beginning that’s already in progress. If that’s true that’s a deal breaker for me.

Troublesome 85

TOP RANKED
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
Watching Ken Burns' documentary on PBS on the U.S. and the Holocaust. Gut wrenching.

He's clearing showing parallels to current events.

Everyone should try to watch it.

As a Jewish person ill pass. They forcefeed us holocaust stuff from a very young age. Think ive seen enough.

Band of Brothers did an excellent job with the camp scene.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
@Gee Wally What do you think of 1983's The New Leave it to Beaver?

never watched it.

1664715260186.jpeg

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Apologize if this isn’t in the spirit of this thread, but are we Canadians stuck with Sportsnet Now for streaming Bruins games this year?

Just heard you can’t start a game at the beginning that’s already in progress. If that’s true that’s a deal breaker for me.
We are stuck.

Although it does appear as though there's an option to play a game from the beginning after it's started, so that shouldn't be a concern.

What concerns me more is how inconsistent it's been at actually working at all. I think Sports net knows it too. They've added a bunch of other junk to the service in an attempt to beef up the value and I think it's partly because they know the NHL coverage isn't up to snuff.

That said in my limited experience, when it works, it works really well.

Reactions: Kovi

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
We are stuck.

Although it does appear as though there's an option to play a game from the beginning after it's started, so that shouldn't be a concern.

What concerns me more is how inconsistent it's been at actually working at all. I think Sports net knows it too. They've added a bunch of other junk to the service in an attempt to beef up the value and I think it's partly because they know the NHL coverage isn't up to snuff.

That said in my limited experience, when it works, it works really well.
Lol well that’s….something. The reviews of it have been absolutely glowing so far!

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Any Better Call Saul fans here? Part II of the final season begins next Monday to conclude the series and likely the entire "Breaking Bad" universe and I personally cannot wait. Both shows and the universe they created is fantastic stuff.
I only called Saul once or twice, but a big Bob Odenkirk fan.

Bob as Robert Evans as God (Politically Incorrect, 2003),

Nobody (2021),

Reactions: Gordoff

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.

Oh my God.

What a "terrible in a funny way" show (as so many of those '60s comedies were).

Little Known Factoid: CHB apparently had a thing for "Wrangler Jane,"
Even if it is good, I think Dragon will flop quickly. We shall see.
Not my thing. Never watched "GOT," either.

On the other hand, enjoyed Penny Dreadful,

Attachments

• 1664903542144.png
    1664903542144.png
    278.8 KB · Views: 2

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Not sure if anyone on here is watching House of the Dragon, but man do I LOVE it.

Sorry to burst your bubble 😂
It's a hit!
I watched the first two episodes a couple weeks ago and it was decent. Eventually if I have some free time at home I'll finish the season. But it's not compelling me to binge watch right away like GoT did.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
I`m stunned how often I am searching around on the bazillion channels we have, various streaming services we have and yet wind up watching re-runs of Seinfeld, simply the best comedy show this person has watched ever

Think my top 5 comedy shows are/were

Seinfeld
Cheers
MASH
All in the Family
Dream On (if you haven`t seen it, look for it)

One of my fav Seinfeld scenes ever

Last edited:

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
I watched the first two episodes a couple weeks ago and it was decent. Eventually if I have some free time at home I'll finish the season. But it's not compelling me to binge watch right away like GoT did.

It's definitely difficult. As a reader of ASOIAF and Fire & Blood, which this show is doing. It's different. Fire & Blood is more like...a long a history book. The show pacing is a bit off to start. Lots of things kinda being rushed. It needs to relax a bit. Acting wise? Phenomenal. Having GRRM as a consultant helps. You can tell the people involved in this show care. Unlike D&D who really fumbled the bag towards the end of GOT.

It's shot beautifully.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
have you tried watching curb your enthusiasm?
also i know alot of people hate it but i always cracked up watching king of queens.
T
I`m stunned how often I am searching around on the bazillion channels we have, various streaming services we have and yet wind up watching re-runs of Seinfeld, simply the best comedy show this person has watched ever

Think my top 5 comedy shows are/were

Seinfeld
Cheers
MASH
All in the Family
Dream On (if you haven`t seen it, look for it)

One of my fav Seinfeld scenes ever

The show about nothing in which, famously, "no one hugs and no one learns anything."

A fan of Seinfeld through his appearances on Carson, started watching The Seinfeld Chronicles as a summer replacement in '89. They shortened the name because The Marshall Chronicles was running at the time.

My top five comedy favorites, in no particular order:

The Dick Van Dyke Show
The Odd Couple
Frasier
Seinfeld
Family Ties

Guilty Pleasure:

The Nanny

Reactions: ODAAT

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
It's definitely difficult. As a reader of ASOIAF and Fire & Blood, which this show is doing. It's different. Fire & Blood is more like...a long a history book. The show pacing is a bit off to start. Lots of things kinda being rushed. It needs to relax a bit. Acting wise? Phenomenal. Having GRRM as a consultant helps. You can tell the people involved in this show care. Unlike D&D who really fumbled the bag towards the end of GOT.

It's shot beautifully.
D&D completely went off the deep end after season 5. TBH I had low expectations for Dragon just because of how GoT ended up.

I've only made it to episode 2 but I know there's a time leap at some point where the young actors get replaced and all, not sure how that will come across (sometimes it can work fairly seamlessly, like The Crown, sometimes it's the death of a show). I can definitely tell that it's more reverent to the source material than GoT was.

Reactions: Mione134

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
D&D completely went off the deep end after season 5. TBH I had low expectations for Dragon just because of how GoT ended up.

I've only made it to episode 2 but I know there's a time leap at some point where the young actors get replaced and all, not sure how that will come across (sometimes it can work fairly seamlessly, like The Crown, sometimes it's the death of a show). I can definitely tell that it's more reverent to the source material than GoT was.

That was the biggest thing for me. With GOT, there were things I loved and things I absolutely hated. D&D can kiss my ass with what they did towards the end. So I was hesitant with anyone adapting Fire & Blood. So far, very impressed. Just wish they would of slowed down the pacing...you'll see when you watch. Replacing actors is fine. They hired powerhouses on both ends. But wanting more of the younger cast and not skipping so much time is where I'm left like "aw cmon!" But not in a bad way. It's nice knowing this show is in better hands. You can feel it from the drop.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad