The Tristan Jarry conundrum

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Keeping either goalie shouldn’t even be a possibility at this point after the last couple of seasons.

Luckily, the new GM will have no alliance to either. You guys love punishment if you want either back. They’ve let us down so many times.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
I’d honestly feel better going into next year with DeSmith as our 2 with a new 1 thsn Jarry going into the year as 1 and an unknown 2.

I also am more than cool with neither back.

Nah desmith is a 3rd stringer who is to comfortable here

Reactions: Pens x

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
No confidence they'll look another direction. There's no realistic option that's a bonafide stud (we're not trading for Saros) and options within reach all have their question marks. I imagine they just re-sign Jarry. My hope is that the deal is shorter term. That's the best I can hope for anymore. :laugh:

It's so f***ing stupid that they didn't just shut his ass down at the TDL and get whatever he's dealing with taken care of. Be it through surgery or rest/rehab for the 7 months until next season starts.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I guess Bourque said Jarry was dealing with a back injury…better than hips, but still no thanks…

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Why was Jarry playing in those last two crucial games if he was so injured? Great call by coach bozo. He’s such a jackass.

It’s okay though, he was a good coach six years ago.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
A healthy CDS was still worse than an injured Jarry.

Neither should be around next year.
Agreed. Sleepy ass screwed the pooch re-signing DeSmith before free agency started, but didn’t really get grief until recently.

Thank god that dipshit is gone.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Not really? CDS greatly out performed Jarry this year.

I'm probably wrong statistically. But every game I watched of CDS he gave up lame ass goals. Jarry did so in about half the games he played. I think they were both sub par and my criticisms of Jarry are simply that I think he's a backup at the NHL level who has just been given every chance to succeed- yet hasn't. But hey- injuries. Can't base the position strictly on statistics or you end up with a 10M goalie who gives up nothing but back breakers.

I wouldn't pay Jarry more than 2.5-3M per year to be your platoon guy. A team that pays more than that will regret it. As a platoon guy at least you can yank him at will- but we couldn't because CDS is barely backup quality at NHL level anymore. I used to think he was pretty good and his contract a steal but he was awful this year. It's the one spot on the team I have a hard time blaming coaching on for any of it.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
CDS’s January stretch was brutal. If he wasn’t crapping his pants in those games, we are playing tomorrow.

We desperately need a clean slate between the pipes.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
After 3 seasons we've been screwed by Jarry's health maybe it's time to move on.
What's the use to have a very good goalie if he can't play.
I would be OK if he's back as 1B for a one year contract, but we need a true 1A that can carry the load, and that's not CDS.

I hope that fixing the goalie is the first thing that the new management focus on, otherwise is irrelevant to shot Granlund and Carter into the Sun.

Reactions: Dipsy Doodle

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I don't think Saros is available.
Hes not, only one out there is probably Gibson, who I am not sold on right now. I know hes been playing for a bad team the last few years, but he has been very underwhelming.

There might be a slim chance that Markstrom is available from Calgary, very slim. But youd have a NTC issue and the Flames would demand a pretty penny. I could potentially see a new Flames GM roll the dice with Vladar and Wolf, Sutter wouldnt be happy though. Dont know if Treliving is back I see him moving Markstrom. Vladar might be a good under the radar possibility to check on. Youd want a veteran to back him up though.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Hes not, only one out there is probably Gibson, who I am not sold on right now. I know hes been playing for a bad team the last few years, but he has been very underwhelming.

There might be a slim chance that Markstrom is available from Calgary, very slim. But youd have a NTC issue and the Flames would demand a pretty penny. I could potentially see a new Flames GM roll the dice with Vladar and Wolf, Sutter wouldnt be happy though. Dont know if Treliving is back I see him moving Markstrom. Vladar might be a good under the radar possibility to check on. Youd want a veteran to back him up though.
How about Hellebuyck?

Only issue is Winnipeg is already loaded on LD (So Ty Smith and Pickering won't be of much interest). I'd happily send our 1st for a guy of his caliber, even just for 1 year. Then hold onto Guentzel and just go all f***ing in for next year.

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
CDS and Jarry are NOT the same. The only thing that is similar is their performance in net, everything else is different. CDS as a clear backup goalie with 1 year left at a reasonable 1.8 million for what he provides. Jarry, who is more injury prone and doesn't see himself as a backup, wants a multi year, multi million dollar contract in the summer. For me the focus should be 90% on finding a new goalie and then if possible look for a new backup keeper.

Gold Diamond

Watermarks
Jul 11, 2008
Coatesville, PA
my hot take is that i don't think it matter a rat's ass who is in net with this team's blueline structure and defensive scheme.
My sentiments exactly. Is Jarry a product of a piss-poor defensive structure? Or is he just not a really good goalie?

Truth is probably somewhere in between. Unless he takes a short deal at a discount, I think the Pens need to cut their losses and move on. Goaltending was unacceptable this season - BEYOND unacceptable.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
My sentiments exactly. Is Jarry a product of a piss-poor defensive structure? Or is he just not a really good goalie?

Truth is probably somewhere in between. Unless he takes a short deal at a discount, I think the Pens need to cut their losses and move on. Goaltending was unacceptable this season - BEYOND unacceptable.
Here's my thing. I am 100% fine with restructuring the goalies and letting Jarry go.

All I ask and I know it's too much...please can we not have board members whine nonstop when he does well elsewhere?

The truth is he is a decent goalie that had an awful year injuries or not. Put him on a defensive structured team and what if he's a workhorse top 8 goalie?

I won't care but I know many here will use it as a "why did we let him walk" "another blunder" etc.

Hopefully he goes elsewhere and just does mediocre so we don't talk about him.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00