The Tristan Jarry conundrum

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
If Guentzel gets you Saros, do you pull the trigger?
Depends…if we have the opportunity to sign or trade for a couple younger winger who maybe not as good right now but is up and coming, then sure…we’d have to replace his 35 goals somewhere

Reactions: Zbynek

the penitent

Feb 20, 2023
No 1 yr/2 Mil deal. If no one wants him and he has to settle for that, then the Pens shouldn't want him either. Simply cannot run back Jarry/DeSmith again next year. Period. Not sure if replacement is via UFA or trade, but Jarry has to be sent packing.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Sign him if he will take a cheap bridge deal, and then go get a more reliable 1a and finally move on from DeSmith. Or don’t sign him.

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
THE most unreliable starting goalie in the entire league. Extremely inury prone and very unreliable performance wise. It would be a mistake to sign him.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
He's simply too unreliable. When he was on he was very good. Unfortunately, injuries have derailed him and it's best for both sides to move on.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Conundrum?? He sucks. See ya.

Dude is a fraud. NHL backup at best masquerading as a starter. When a guy like that steals ZERO...ZERO! Games in 2 full calendar years of hockey- he doesn't deserve starter minutes or starter money. You know who steps in and does meh? Backups. Your starter is a guy who can win some games during the year- preferably a couple games your guys just can't score much. Even FNing Mrazek did this just the other night. Jarry has never had a game like that.

Absolute clueless people with regarding to goaltending that are freaking obsessed with familiarity. "AJarry can come back but only at X cost." No. "Sully back but on a short lease!" F no.

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
I'd love how he does under a coach that's somewhat competent first. After seeing how well others have done away from Sullivan's stupid shit, he'll probably win the vezina.

Reactions: ehill613

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
IMO, with his age and ability I'd be fine with a 2-3 year 2-3M deal. Get another starter for 4-5M to go with him and let them fight it out.
Sure, but there's no way he'll come back for that. He can probably get 5-6 million a year in free agency and long term.

If he's coming back it's because we paid him, and that's gonna suck.

tnnr

Feb 19, 2023
He is simply un-clutch, you cannot count on him to win a big game, let alone make a big save.

He has a 2-6 playoff record
with an .891 save percentage and a 3.00 GAA

Only way I'd be okay with him back is a short-term deal where he isn't the starter rather a 1 B type but quite easily the 2nd best goalie on the roster.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
IMO, with his age and ability I'd be fine with a 2-3 year 2-3M deal. Get another starter for 4-5M to go with him and let them fight it out.

He is simply un-clutch, you cannot count on him to win a big game, let alone make a big save.

Only way I'd be okay with him back is a short-term deal where he isn't the starter rather a 1 B type but quite easily the 2nd best goalie on the roster.

Like I said he's a backup masquerading as a starter.

He won't come back for backup money 1.5-3M and we shouldn't have him. Honestly I don't want him regardless of the cap hit- but if he must be here (why?) then it should be with a veteran to platoon with. He's clearly not a guy you can bank a season, let alone series, let alone playoffs on.

tnnr

Feb 19, 2023
Like I said he's a backup masquerading as a starter.

He won't come back for backup money 1.5-3M and we shouldn't have him. Honestly I don't want him regardless of the cap hit- but if he must be here (why?) then it should be with a veteran to platoon with. He's clearly not a guy you can bank a season, let alone series, let alone playoffs on.

I always come back to this playoff game. Game 1 against the Isles in 2021, before the puck handling blunders. Look at the goals he gives up. The type of goals, and when the goals get scored.

He's just not someone you can trust.

Reactions: Gold Diamond

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
I never start new threads. I tried to search for a TJ themed one in the past, but didn't find one (mods feel free to merge if you find one).

Since we all have lots of time on our hands until the Draft and FA, we should talk about our Goaltending.

Tristan Jarry has played, in the past, at an All-Star level. Twice. He most certainly can do it again, right?

But he has also played, at times, at a very pedestrian (and utterly horrible) level in the past 3 years. He is also very injury prone (inJarry) and UNclutch (if such a thing can be measured).

Do we need to let him go this summer, and if so, who replaces him? A goalie we drafted, or sign as a UFA? Or do we execute a trade?

I'd love to hear your opinions.
Yes you let him go. Too often injured & unreliable.

Reactions: Gold Diamond

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Neat. He is perfectly fine to bring up his injuries in his exit interview.

Instead immediately after a game he said injuries were what made him play this way.
I keep forgetting only players we like get that excuse.

How silly of me.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
If he wants to sign a short term deal for 4 mil or less, maybe keep him and get a solid 1B in free agency and trade CDS.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
He’s never won anything when it counts and he is healthy. And has been unhealthy enough to be a liability. He simply isn’t a winner. I’d bring him and tell him thank you for his work and then let him walk.

If it came down to it even if it meant bringing someone with less skill but was more competitive and better history of injuries I would take that guy over TJ.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
What is the conundrum here? Dude is an established loser that can't stay healthy. Don't let the door hit him on the way out.

Sign Varlamov and Korpisalo in free agency to be your goalie tandem and tell Jarry and DeSmith to pound sand.

You can extend his horrible playoff record to the AHL and WHL as well. Dude is just an unclutch goalie that the Penguins should absolutely not bring back.

Reactions: Sidney the Kidney

Wattsburgh

Apr 3, 2023
Good thing about Jarry is no matter what we aren’t paying what he will ask for. He’s gone and I don’t get why people are even talking about him still. He’s no longer a Penguin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad