The Tristan Jarry conundrum

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Wattsburgh

Apr 3, 2023
DeSmith and a late pick for Vejmalka would be my first plan. That way we aren’t desperate when dealing for Goalie 1A. Throw in O’Connor if that isn’t enough for Vej (1B).

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
DeSmith and a late pick for Vejmalka would be my first plan. That way we aren’t desperate when dealing for Goalie 1A. Throw in O’Connor if that isn’t enough for Vej (1B).
Is late pick enough? Coyotes fans wanted a 1st for him at the TDL. Though goalies rarely fetch that if ever.

I'd throw them a 2nd, but Mikael Granlund ate that up, so nix that plan.

We still have the Devils 3rd from the Marino trade. Our 3rd and 4th are gone from the Carter and Petry trades.

Only other picks left from this year are a 5th and 6th.

Wattsburgh

Apr 3, 2023
Is late pick enough? Coyotes fans wanted a 1st for him at the TDL. Though goalies rarely fetch that if ever.

I'd throw them a 2nd, but Mikael Granlund ate that up, so nix that plan.

We still have the Devils 3rd from the Marino trade. Our 3rd and 4th are gone from the Carter and Petry trades.

Only other picks left from this year are a 5th and 6th.
I think DeSmith, O’Connor, and a 3rd would easily do it. If we wanted to hang onto the third then something like;

Granlund and DeSmith for Vejmalka.

If not then keep searching for Miss Goalie.

Last edited:

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Conundrum: a confusing and difficult problem or question.

Moving on from Jarry is not a difficult decision.

Hextall is gone people - the team can stop with hits lazy approach.

Reactions: Zbynek

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
According at least to the Jets board on here, Hellebuyck may be available. No NMC to be found in his contract either.

He has potential to be the strongest Penguins goalie ever analytically but he is also UFA in 1 year from now.

Is he worth paying for if it's only for a '23/'24 run?

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Conundrum: a confusing and difficult problem or question.

Moving on from Jarry is not a difficult decision.

Hextall is gone people - the team can stop with hits lazy approach.
We need to get away from not only the lazy approach but especially the complacent approach. Time is ticking on Sid and Geno. Realistically we have 2 more shots, 3 tops. Re-signing Jarry on a half-assed, 2 year bridge deal just to waste away the last years of 87+71 makes me wanna puke, dude.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
We need to get away from not only the lazy approach but especially the complacent approach. Time is ticking on Sid and Geno. Realistically we have 2 more shots, 3 tops. Re-signing Jarry on a half-assed, 2 year bridge deal just to waste away the last years of 87+71 makes me wanna puke, dude.
Yep. I thought once dumbass Hextall was finally fired, the fan base would go back to normal, no longer expecting and preparing for the easiest solutions.

This franchise just kicked Sid and Geno in the balls for the last 6 off seasons. Let’s stop that.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
According at least to the Jets board on here, Hellebuyck may be available. No NMC to be found in his contract either.

He has potential to be the strongest Penguins goalie ever analytically but he is also UFA in 1 year from now.

Would depend on the asking price, IMO, but '24-'25 is a problem for a different day.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh

No. But I don’t believe any team would make a trade and give up the assets and not be able to talk to him about an extension. Which could be signed on July 1st.

gopens66

Hop in the Cordoba, Baby, we're goin' bowlin!
May 25, 2006
Altoona,Pa
Let him walk. A good/average goaltender would have taken us farther than what the Pens called "goaltending" this season. Jarry is going to demand too much for someone, who, if he works really hard, might reach as far as unreliable.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
Sure, but there's no way he'll come back for that. He can probably get 5-6 million a year in free agency and long term.

If he's coming back it's because we paid him, and that's gonna suck.
yeah, he would never take a deal like that and IMO shouldn't. With his history and a super weak class, he should be chasing his payday this summer.

How many times did you call him a f***ing loser? Did someone hack your account?
He is a f***ing loser, but it's worth a 3M or under gamble with how hard it is to get good goalies and how young he is.

Reactions: Pancakes

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
If you do try to sign him for a cheap "show me" bridge deal, you absolutely have to do two things:

1) sign a similar 1B to platoon with
2) revamp the defense to shelter the goalies.

The thing this team keeps forgetting is that if you cheap out on goalies, you need to spend that money on the blueline, not on an expensive underwhelming bottom 6.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
yeah, he would never take a deal like that and IMO shouldn't. With his history and a super weak class, he should be chasing his payday this summer.

He is a f***ing loser, but it's worth a 3M or under gamble with how hard it is to get good goalies and how young he is.
How many goalies switched teams last off season? Some of you people act like finding a goalie is like spotting big foot. It’s okay people, Hextall is gone. We can be normal again. He forced all of you to lower your expectations because of how much he sucked.

I’m not asking for a vezina goalie, just a goalie that doesn’t suck and not always injured. Unless we hire a complete moron to replace sleepy, no GM is going to look at our goaltending and think “this will work great” after the last three years.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida

If you do try to sign him for a cheap "show me" bridge deal, you absolutely have to do two things:

1) sign a similar 1B to platoon with
2) revamp the defense to shelter the goalies.

The thing this team keeps forgetting is that if you cheap out on goalies, you need to spend that money on the blueline, not on an expensive underwhelming bottom 6.

Nah, the show me year was last year during his contract year. He failed. Now he goes by Injarry.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Which is why you try to sign him for like CDS money. If he doesn't bite, then let him walk.

But realistically, this team has to cut corners somewhere-- we have terrible contracts everywhere that we can't get out of, buyout penalties from JJ.

So we're not going to get a high quality starter without trading something valuable (e.g. the 1st). On the other hand, we're not going to serious contend either, so spending legit starter money isn't feasible either.

It really is kind of a conundrum. If you get rid of Jarry, you need to replace him, which isn't coming from the UFA market. But we don't really have pieces outside of that pick (or Rust waiving) to get another, better starter.

In the end, I think Jarry, while the very definition of flaky, is like 4th on our list of priorities if we actually want to see the playoffs one more time during the Sid era.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Jars is a top-60 goalie in the months of February, March, and April. I really dont care what kind of discount we can squeeze out of him in a bridge deal or whatever. Roll the f***ing dice and add someone new.

In the end I just don't think it makes sense for either party. For Jarry, he will find a better deal elsewhere in Buffalo or Calgary or wherever - a team willing to give him a fresh chance. And for the Pens, it behooves us to just move on now when we have the chance.

Reactions: Pens x

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis

We don't have many runs left

It's worth it

Reactions: Darren McCord

BillyOcean

Jan 2, 2015
He's had league average regular seasons and absolutely blows it in the playoffs.

Based on Yinzer fan history, you guys should love him and want him around for the next 15 years.

Reactions: Pens x

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I never start new threads. I tried to search for a TJ themed one in the past, but didn't find one (mods feel free to merge if you find one).

Since we all have lots of time on our hands until the Draft and FA, we should talk about our Goaltending.

Tristan Jarry has played, in the past, at an All-Star level. Twice. He most certainly can do it again, right?

But he has also played, at times, at a very pedestrian (and utterly horrible) leve
l in the past 3 years. He is also very injury prone (inJarry) and UNclutch (if such a thing can be measured).

Do we need to let him go this summer, and if so, who replaces him? A goalie we drafted, or sign as a UFA? Or do we execute a trade?

I'd love to hear your opinions.

Honestly... I feel Jarry is a Wish.com MAF in his prime. I would not spend money on him. If he came in cheap-ish.. sure. 3.5m or less, fine. Then grab a vet backup.

What conundrum?

XJ9E5tZ.jpg

Dude this is EXACTLY what he eyes see. Putting numbers behind it makes perfect sense. :laugh:

Reactions: Darren McCord

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Which is why you try to sign him for like CDS money. If he doesn't bite, then let him walk.

But realistically, this team has to cut corners somewhere-- we have terrible contracts everywhere that we can't get out of, buyout penalties from JJ.

So we're not going to get a high quality starter without trading something valuable (e.g. the 1st). On the other hand, we're not going to serious contend either, so spending legit starter money isn't feasible either.

It really is kind of a conundrum. If you get rid of Jarry, you need to replace him, which isn't coming from the UFA market. But we don't really have pieces outside of that pick (or Rust waiving) to get another, better starter.

In the end, I think Jarry, while the very definition of flaky, is like 4th on our list of priorities if we actually want to see the playoffs one more time during the Sid era.

If you keep Jarry DeSmith needs to jettisoned quickly. You can't have both.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad