The Tristan Jarry conundrum

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
And a crappy, injured riddled goalie to boot.

Here's my thing. I am 100% fine with restructuring the goalies and letting Jarry go.

All I ask and I know it's too much...please can we not have board members whine nonstop when he does well elsewhere?

The truth is he is a decent goalie that had an awful year injuries or not. Put him on a defensive structured team and what if he's a workhorse top 8 goalie?

I won't care but I know many here will use it as a "why did we let him walk" "another blunder" etc.

Hopefully he goes elsewhere and just does mediocre so we don't talk about him.
You didn’t hear a lot about Murray when he did well in Toronto.

Pittsburgh had a strange love affair with MAF. Those weirdo fans don’t have that same connection with Jarry - he won nothing here, and really has only played in more than half of the games in two seasons.

But you will hear stuff if the replacement goalie downright sucks and Jarry lights it up.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
Agreed. Sleepy ass screwed the pooch re-signing DeSmith before free agency started, but didn’t really get grief until recently.

Thank god that dipshit is gone.
There were so many good and cheap goalies last summer. It was such a terrible move to lock up CDS early. Just imagine if we got Samsonov instead of re-signing CDS?

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
There were so many good and cheap goalies last summer. It was such a terrible move to lock up CDS early. Just imagine if we got Samsonov instead of re-signing CDS?
Seriously. We’d be getting ready for the first playoff game tonight.

But that would have required to pick up the phone and talk to someone in society sleepy didn’t know.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston

But that would have required to pick up the phone and talk to someone in society sleepy didn’t know.
Two straight years of goaltending costing you pretty much guaranteed PO wins and you lock up the same duo right before the summer with the most available goalies in recent memory? Great job loser.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Pursue a trade ASAP. If you don't, offer him a 1yr deal at like $2-3mil. If he declines, move to FA.

An "extension" like a 5-6yr $5-6mil per, absolutely 100000000% not. You can't.
I think this is Me.

You can't give the guy a 5 or 6 million dollar deal. He had his chance this year to prove he deserved it and didn't.

If we can't find anyone suitable a one year prove it deal works.

We are getting below league goaltending so who cares who we bring in.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007

I will admit, after the humiliating season ended a few days ago and had time to forget about hockey for a bit... kind of going to miss no playoff hockey this year to root for.
Winning or losing. Getting swept or not... it is still a chance...
Not that I will not watch whichever the best and most physically tough series... it kind of stinks the penguins aren't even at the show.

If anything it makes me more indignant towards sullivan.
:p:

Reactions: Pens x

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
I will admit, after the humiliating season ended a few days ago and had time to forget about hockey for a bit... kind of going to miss no playoff hockey this year to root for.
Winning or losing. Getting swept or not... it is still a chance...
Not that I will not watch whichever the best and most physically tough series... it kind of stinks the penguins aren't even at the show.

If anything it makes me more indignant towards sullivan.
:p:
You were one of the ones who wanted them to miss the playoffs!!

Reactions: Pens x and LOGiK

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I don't think there is really much argument, here. You walk away at high speed in the opposite direction. There were red flags before this year and now evidently back issues are a thing, too.

It's still wild to me that I was getting into staunchly-defended arguments with people not long ago about how I was dumb for not wanting to see the team pay this guy like 7M dollars. Pretending they have no choice is letting this team off the hook WAY too easy. There is always a choice and executives in the FO are paid well to find solutions to this exact kind of problem. You don't just let some middle-of-the-pack netminder hold your team hostage.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
You were one of the ones who wanted them to miss the playoffs!!
For change. For the greater good.
I doubt their ability going forward to accomplish that.
I'm having a tough time coming up with the right arrangement of words to describe it.

But, now I'm just in limbo. Probably like management is / will be. What can they possibly do with an aging core....
What to build around? It takes a star young kid... or many decently talented hard working young kids..... youth isn't anywhere to be seen in this franchise on that level...
🤷‍♂️

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Frankly I don't understand Penguins fans at all who actively wanted the team to miss the playoffs. A truly miserable tank-ass season would have been pathetic but fine because you get a terrific pick in a great draft. The playoffs would have been likely short but fine because at least the entire 82 game slog was for something and the franchise benefits financially from it. There also that whole pride and legacy thing, too if you care about such things.

Just BARELY missing is absolutely the worst possible outcome. Great job!

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Frankly I don't understand Penguins fans at all who actively wanted the team to miss the playoffs. A truly miserable tank-ass season would have been pathetic but fine because you get a terrific pick in a great draft. The playoffs would have been likely short but fine because at least the entire 82 game slog was for something and the franchise benefits financially from it. There also that whole pride and legacy thing, too if you care about such things.

Just BARELY missing is absolutely the worst possible outcome. Great job!
It's not so simple. Well, for some it is I suppose.
I personally find it difficult to cheer this team on. From HC to GM and HOps etc etc... it is just a mess... to me winning stunts change. Would they fire GM Hops / FO if they made the playoffs? It would most likely be a sweep..... (what if it wasn't though).... I couldn't stand another season of that GM. Sullivan is bad enough.

I don't want to cheer on losing.... but it is a tough spot to be in. For change..... I don't know.
It is just a big mess.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
It's not so simple. Well, for some it is I suppose.
I personally find it difficult to cheer this team on. From HC to GM and HOps etc etc... it is just a mess... to me winning stunts change. Would they fire GM Hops / FO if they made the playoffs? It would most likely be a sweep..... (what if it wasn't though).... I couldn't stand another season of that GM. Sullivan is bad enough.

I don't want to cheer on losing.... but it is a tough spot to be in. For change..... I don't know.
It is just a big mess.

I mean I'm not judging I just don't get it.

Yeah they are a trainwreck but wait'll you get a load of them after the core finally dries up. Which... is a whole other confusion of mine. Why people are so hot and bothered to see that start. Won't be long, trust me. And you'll get what ya'll THINK you want.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Hopefully not here...

Too many unknowns to say if it'll be here or not. New GM might be conservative and want to have a "known commodity" in net or he could be aggressive and bring in a goalie who he's comfortable with at a high dollar and transactional cost.

But that range will likely be the going rate for TJ

Reactions: Le Magnifique 66

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Being objective here. I can entirely see a scenario where a new GM doesn't like his alternate options and gives Jarry a deal like:

1 or 2 x 4.5M

Disclaimer- I'm not implying I'd do this. But this is entirely plausible if the options aren't good.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad