The Transformers thread (shows, comics, toys, all things TF)

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
My childhood friend got Fort Max - I got Trypticon...who ain't worth nearly as much :laugh: I still have him, minus some parts (including the tank:cry:)...but he'd still probably sell for $200-$250. He still walks, even :laugh:

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
My childhood friend got Fort Max - I got Trypticon...who ain't worth nearly as much :laugh: I still have him, minus some parts (including the tank:cry:)...but he'd still probably sell for $200-$250. He still walks, even :laugh:

I think my cousin had Trypticon. He tended to get all the Decepticons and I got all the Autobots. Sadly, I never actually had Optimus as a kid. A few years back, Target had a reissued G1 Optimus for like $75 and I almost bought it.

Who is Fortress Maximus? I don't recall ever seeing him in the show.

If I recall correctly, he was featured in one episode after the movie came out. I don't think he made many other appearances in the show. Probably memorable just for being the largest toy they manufactured more than anything.

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/The_Rebirth,_Part_3

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
If I recall correctly, he was featured in one episode after the movie came out. I don't think he made many other appearances in the show. Probably memorable just for being the largest toy they manufactured more than anything.
More impressively, though, unlike Omega Supreme they actually transformed without a whole lot of disassembly/reassembly. Omega had to be taken all apart, a couple parts converted to another form, then reassembled as a robot or missile base. Metroplex and Trypticon had one main transforming robot with parts that came off to assemble other robots/defense platforms/towers, etc. AND they were huge compared to the other transformers (even Jetfire, who was completely out of scale with the others since he was actually the same toy used for the Robotech Veritech Fighter (the armored one when you included all his armor pieces) and clearly NOT the Skyfire robot from the cartoon, which was never produced, at least not in G1).

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
Y'know, all this time I've been confusing Fort Max with Metroplex :laugh: Now I've seen the cartoon clip I remember Fortress Maximus was the leader of the headmasters.

BTW, still have THAT 4-issue limited series comic, too :D

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
This thread got me thinking about my favorite action toys as a kid.

Transformers, GI Joe and He- Man.

If you played with He-Man toys check out this list for some great nostalgia:

http://www.he-man.org/collecting/toycollection.php?id=1

I forgot half these characters existed.

Mer-Man
Moss Man with "real pine scent"
Stinkor "the scent of evil"
Battle Armor He-Man
Fisto
Man-E-Faces
Ram Man
Trap Jaw
Zodiac

All the He- Man toys had this weird smell. I remember taking a new character out of the packaging and that odd smell.

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont

Mer-Man
Battle Armor He-Man
Fisto
Man-E-Faces
Ram Man
Trap Jaw
Zodiac

All the He- Man toys had this weird smell. I remember taking a new character out of the packaging and that odd smell.

I didn't forget most of them:laugh: I had Ram Man and Man-E-Faces. Also He-Man and Castle Greyskull. Can't recall any others I had except Beast Man. Greyskull was probably the only MAJOR playset I had for any of the toy collections I ever had, though I did have a couple more expensive GI Joe vehicles like the Striker Jet, Dragonfly helicopter, and hovercraft. Also had the Millenium Falcon and AT-AT for Star Wars as the high end of the toys I had for that.

EDIT: damn, I've never even heard of half the characters on that list :laugh: I didn't have Fisto, but did have Stridor the mechanical horse...I did forget about that one. I also am pretty sure I had Teela and I know I had Zoar.

Last edited:

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I didn't forget most of them:laugh: I had Ram Man and Man-E-Faces. Also He-Man and Castle Greyskull. Can't recall any others I had except Beast Man. Greyskull was probably the only MAJOR playset I had for any of the toy collections I ever had, though I did have a couple more expensive GI Joe vehicles like the Striker Jet, Dragonfly helicopter, and hovercraft. Also had the Millenium Falcon and AT-AT for Star Wars as the high end of the toys I had for that.

EDIT: damn, I've never even heard of half the characters on that list :laugh: I didn't have Fisto, but did have Stridor the mechanical horse...I did forget about that one. I also am pretty sure I had Teela and I know I had Zoar.

I had Skull Mountain with the mic you talked into that made an echo. I used to drive my parents nuts with it. They made it an "upstairs" toy that had to stay in my room. I don't think I had Castle Greyskull. I'll have to ask my bro if we had that.

Did you watch the He-Man show after school?

I got the Gi Joe Command Center on Christmas '85. I remember being disappointed I didn't get it from Santa. But my dad waited until Christmas night to surprise my bro and me with it. He said Santa forgot and had just dropped it off. I was so stoked and stayed up till midnight playing with it.

Between Star Wars, Transformers, He-man and Gi Joe, I got tons of mileage out of my action figures as a kid. I even had the Dukes of Hazard action figures, except I didn't want Daisy Duke because she was a girl (funny how things changed in like another 6-7 years).

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
I had Skull Mountain with the mic you talked into that made an echo. I used to drive my parents nuts with it. They made it an "upstairs" toy that had to stay in my room. I don't think I had Castle Greyskull. I'll have to ask my bro if we had that.

Did you watch the He-Man show after school?
Indeed I did :laugh: I remember when visiting my mother and sister they had nicknames for some of the characters...He-Man was "I-Man", Teela was "Notice Me", and Man-At-Arms was "Clark" (because he looked like Clark Gable to my mother:laugh:)

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011

Mer-Man
Battle Armor He-Man
Fisto
Man-E-Faces
Ram Man
Trap Jaw
Zodiac

3 most favourite shows as a kid, and favourite toys as well.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Indeed I did :laugh: I remember when visiting my mother and sister they had nicknames for some of the characters...He-Man was "I-Man", Teela was "Notice Me", and Man-At-Arms was "Clark" (because he looked like Clark Gable to my mother:laugh:)

I used to hate Orco... He was useless and he would always lead into a commercial and say "we'll be right back!"

Couldn't stand him.

Why didn't He-Man ever use his sword on anyone or fight? He saved the world by throwing bad guys into puddles of mud.

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
I used to hate Orco... He was useless and he would always lead into a commercial and say "we'll be right back!"

Couldn't stand him.

Why didn't He-Man ever use his sword on anyone or fight? He saved the world by throwing bad guys into puddles of mud.

that's childrens' programming for you...the same way G.I. Joe's were an elite force yet couldn't hit anything smaller than a tank with their weapons or how Transformers kept getting shot but none died until the movie came out and then suddenly it didn't take much for them to snuff it.

One good thing about Robotech, which was on American TV around the same time...people occasionally died. Indeed, in the original Macross Saga every member of the bridge crew we'd gotten attached to through the whole season except Lisa Hayes was killed in the final episode. And that's already after they killed off the popular Capt. Roy Fokker. The cartoon had an emotional impact others lacked.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park

:laugh: So true. 80s cartoons were so harmless.

And yet my parents were convinced that Skeletor and Orko (and Destro, Ninja Turtles, etc.) were...Satanic! The Occult! lol
Nothing but good vs. evil, and morals, but get Focus On The Family involved, and lil me gets no toys. People think that everything nowadays is too heavily scrutinized, but back in the 80s parents like mine were basically brainwashed by the fearmongering.

Needless to say, my son gets all the 80s cartoons he wants. And we make sure have him ask his grandparents for some of the same 80s toys that brought them such fear 25 years ago.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
that's childrens' programming for you...the same way G.I. Joe's were an elite force yet couldn't hit anything smaller than a tank with their weapons or how Transformers kept getting shot but none died until the movie came out and then suddenly it didn't take much for them to snuff it.

One good thing about Robotech, which was on American TV around the same time...people occasionally died. Indeed, in the original Macross Saga every member of the bridge crew we'd gotten attached to through the whole season except Lisa Hayes was killed in the final episode. And that's already after they killed off the popular Capt. Roy Fokker. The cartoon had an emotional impact others lacked.

Didn't they kill off Duke, Scarlett and Alpine in GI Joe?

I swear they were replaced by other characters.

:laugh: So true. 80s cartoons were so harmless.

And yet my parents were convinced that Skeletor and Orko (and Destro, Ninja Turtles, etc.) were...Satanic! The Occult! lol
Nothing but good vs. evil, and morals, but get Focus On The Family involved, and lil me gets no toys. People think that everything nowadays is too heavily scrutinized, but back in the 80s parents like mine were basically brainwashed by the fearmongering.

Needless to say, my son gets all the 80s cartoons he wants. And we make sure have him ask his grandparents for some of the same 80s toys that brought them such fear 25 years ago.

Satanic toys?

Damn you Geraldo!

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
Didn't they kill off Duke, Scarlett and Alpine in GI Joe?

I swear they were replaced by other characters.
Not in the original series run, no. Flint and Lady Jay and General Hawk were given more prominent roles that Duke and Scarlett had originally, but they were never killed off. The closest to that was when some Joes ended up in that alternate universe where COBRA ruled the world, and Flash (the flamethrower guy, I think the second? Joe action figure I had), Steeler (the original tank driver), and Clutch (the original jeep driver) decide to remain behind in that universe to replace their dead counterparts, thus writing those three characters (who never had much airtime anyway, though Flash was prominently shown in one of the original season intro scenes) out of the show. That's the closest they came to killing anyone.

EDIT: as I'd originally thought, it was Grunt, not Flash, that was written out in that episode. Bad info on another website.

Last edited:

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Not in the original series run, no. Flint and Lady Jay and General Hawk were given more prominent roles that Duke and Scarlett had originally, but they were never killed off. The closest to that was when some Joes ended up in that alternate universe where COBRA ruled the world, and Flash (the flamethrower guy, I think the second? Joe action figure I had), Steeler (the original tank driver), and Clutch (the original jeep driver) decide to remain behind in that universe to replace their dead counterparts, thus writing those three characters (who never had much airtime anyway, though Flash was prominently shown in one of the original season intro scenes) out of the show. That's the closest they came to killing anyone.

EDIT: as I'd originally thought, it was Grunt, not Flash, that was written out in that episode. Bad info on another website.

Flint and Lady J, that's who I was trying to think of. I remember how mad my bro was because Duke wasn't in the show anymore. I loved Flint though, but forgot his name.

I swear Duke was killed in the comic books or something. Wasn't it Serpentor that killed him in the movie or comic book? I'll ask my bro, he was a huge comic geek back then.

Who were the swamp guys again? Zoltran and his cronies?

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
Flint and Lady J, that's who I was trying to think of. I remember how mad my bro was because Duke wasn't in the show anymore. I loved Flint though, but forgot his name.

I swear Duke was killed in the comic books or something. Wasn't it Serpentor that killed him in the movie or comic book? I'll ask my bro, he was a huge comic geek back then.

Who were the swamp guys again? Zoltran and his cronies?

Dreadnoks and Zartan.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Dreadnoks and Zartan.

Right. I liked those guys for some reason.

Anyway, apparently Duke did die in the movie when Serpentor killed him. However, it was edited out because of the fan backlash about the Optimus Prime death. So Duke instead went into a coma and I guess that's when Flint took over.

Tek_Jansen

Mar 17, 2007
Pittsburgh PA
Picked up a pretty sweet Skywarp for my son's birthday and now realized the related Starscream and Thundercracker are nowhere to be found except on EBay. Nothing will annoy me more than having an incomplete seekers set. Also saw one of the masterpiece figures on the shelf at Target (sun storm) but I'm interested in him really.

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
Picked up a pretty sweet Skywarp for my son's birthday and now realized the related Starscream and Thundercracker are nowhere to be found except on EBay. Nothing will annoy me more than having an incomplete seekers set. Also saw one of the masterpiece figures on the shelf at Target (sun storm) but I'm interested in him really.

I've still got Skywarp, though he's in awful condition and missing a couple parts. Only Seeker I ever had new, though. Had Thundercracker after my friend lost interest in Transformers, but he was already missing a couple parts. Don't have him anymore, and I'm not going to admit how I came to no longer be in possession of 95% of my Transformers collection :cry:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad