OT: The Thread About Nothing

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Got a little yard work in this afternoon before the rain came. Moved two pavers near the fence and bees came out of the ground like the US storming Normandy. Got stung twice and had to run my 5 year old inside because they were pissed. Good times.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Got a little yard work in this afternoon before the rain came. Moved two pavers near the fence and bees came out of the ground like the US storming Normandy. Got stung twice and had to run my 5 year old inside because they were pissed. Good times.

Yellow Jackets I presume? Those things are nasty buggers. Once when I was working for the Fish and Boat Commission it was my turn to stay back and mow the lawn at the office. The office is just an old house in the middle of the Delaware Watergap National Rec. area. It has a huge yard and our riding mower was broken, so I had to use a push mower. We knew it was basically an all day chore without the riding mower, so that person would always stay behind and work from the office all day mowing parts of the lawn at a time.

Anyway, everyone left to do field work and I got started mowing. Not too far in I ran over a yellow jacket nest with the mower and all hell broke loose. I had yellow jackets in my shirt and crawling up my pants. I ran inside, torn off my clothes and swatted them all off. The thing is, I did this without even thinking. Had everyone else still been there, I would have done the same thing. I'm glad they all had left. I ended up with like 20 or 30 stings.

I went in the basement later and found a can of longshot bee killer. I sniped the nest from a window like 30 feet away :laugh: I really don't think it had any effect, but I emptied the whole can.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Yellow Jackets I presume? Those things are nasty buggers. Once when I was working for the Fish and Boat Commission it was my turn to stay back and mow the lawn at the office. The office is just an old house in the middle of the Delaware Watergap National Rec. area. It has a huge yard and our riding mower was broken, so I had to use a push mower. We knew it was basically an all day chore without the riding mower, so that person would always stay behind and work from the office all day mowing parts of the lawn at a time.

Anyway, everyone left to do field work and I got started mowing. Not too far in I ran over a yellow jacket nest with the mower and all hell broke loose. I had yellow jackets in my shirt and crawling up my pants. I ran inside, torn off my clothes and swatted them all off. The thing is, I did this without even thinking. Had everyone else still been there, I would have done the same thing. I'm glad they all had left. I ended up with like 20 or 30 stings.

I went in the basement later and found a can of longshot bee killer. I sniped the nest from a window like 30 feet away :laugh: I really don't think it had any effect, but I emptied the whole can.

Yeah, yellow jackets. I moved the pavers to unlock the gate and saw a few start coming out from where the pavers were, which is covered in leaves. Dickheads stung me on the shin and knee before I realized I better get my daughter inside. Went to Home Depot and got some Raid Wasp/Bee Killer and soaked the area. Hopefully that will do it. If not I'm going to have to rake the area real quick to get the leaves out of the way so I can get to the hole they came out of. If it goes that far I'm super tempted to just pour gasoline down the hole and light those bastards up.

Reactions: RememberTheName

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
My favorite yellow jacket nest destruction story involves a high school me, a recurve bow, and a rag soaked in gasoline. I'd be lying if I said it wasnt fun.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I seriously might check out of here until this Chevy add is gone. It reloads after probably 85% of page clicks and takes up 1/3 of the screen; I'm getting sick and tired of having to 'X' off it nearly every click.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
I seriously might check out of here until this Chevy add is gone. It reloads after probably 85% of page clicks and takes up 1/3 of the screen; I'm getting sick and tired of having to 'X' off it nearly every click.

Do you have unblock origin or anything? Regular ad block doesn't work well anymore. I don't have a problem anymore

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Yeah, yellow jackets. I moved the pavers to unlock the gate and saw a few start coming out from where the pavers were, which is covered in leaves. ********s stung me on the shin and knee before I realized I better get my daughter inside. Went to Home Depot and got some Raid Wasp/Bee Killer and soaked the area. Hopefully that will do it. If not I'm going to have to rake the area real quick to get the leaves out of the way so I can get to the hole they came out of. If it goes that far I'm super tempted to just pour gasoline down the hole and light those bastards up.

Good luck. Those things are almost indestructible if they are hunkered down in rocks or something. If it's just a burrow in the dirt you should be fine.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
There are other videos showing more prolonged "skiing" when he gets to lower elevations, but what's in that clip is technical as hell. It's total "no fall zone" skiing, because if you do, you're dead.

K2 is the hardest mountain to climb in the world. Harder than Everest, it is much more technical. I can't imagine skiing down it.

Speaking of no fall zone, you ever see the video of the dude falling off the cliff last year? It was in Utah I believe. The guy lived, I think he just broke his equipment

Reactions: BenedictGomez

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Do you have unblock origin or anything? Regular ad block doesn't work well anymore. I don't have a problem anymore

Good call, I have that on Firefox (which I dont use anymore), but forgot to add it to Chrome. This seems to be working.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
K2 is the hardest mountain to climb in the world. Harder than Everest, it is much more technical. I can't imagine skiing down it.

Speaking of no fall zone, you ever see the video of the dude falling off the cliff last year? It was in Utah I believe. The guy lived, I think he just broke his equipment

I'm not sure.

Is that the one below where the guy skied right off a huge cliff because he didnt read the terrain?

Last edited:

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
He's at 28,000 feet. Making 2 turns at that altitude is a significant accomplishment.

I've had altitude sickness at 13k and am an experienced rider, it's no joke.

I'm not denying the incredible skill and training necessary to achieve that. But to me there is a difference between walking sideways with a pair of skis on and skiing.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Yeah that's the one lol the dude is an idiot, but it's still is a cool video to watch

Watching the video, I have no idea how he doesn't see this coming. It's pretty apparent to me the horizon is either ending entirely (which was the case) or there's going to be an extremely steep section ahead and you need to SLOW down. Instead he goes full on into it and then decides to hit a little kicker. :dunno:

to me there is a difference between walking sideways with a pair of skis on and skiing.

It's not groomed terrain in the Poconos. That snow could be extremely unstable and is likely quite variable; not to mention he's on the edge of a cliff. Much harder than what you're thinking. Consider the fact he's an uber-expert skier and you realize there's a reason he's cautiously side-slipping that area. It's bat**** insane stuff, I dont get people like this - really is a death wish IMO. I'm too chicken to even ski the Face Chutes at Jay Peak (below) for heaven's sake, and that's child's play compared to this. LOL

maxresdefault.jpg

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
My last single Saturday night was spent pretty drunk, but nothing over-the-top.. I think that's all how it should be in the world.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I'm not denying the incredible skill and training necessary to achieve that. But to me there is a difference between walking sideways with a pair of skis on and skiing.
I'm not even seeing much skill there. Altitude training? Sure. Balls? Dude has that. And he might be a great skier, but I'm not seeing that in the video. As you saying walking sideways.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
It's not groomed terrain in the Poconos. That snow could be extremely unstable and is likely quite variable; not to mention he's on the edge of a cliff. Much harder than what you're thinking. Consider the fact he's an uber-expert skier and you realize there's a reason he's cautiously side-slipping that area. It's bat**** insane stuff, I dont get people like this - really is a death wish IMO. I'm too chicken to even ski the Face Chutes at Jay Peak (below) for heaven's sake, and that's child's play compared to this. LOL

maxresdefault.jpg
I don't get it either. In that, it's not really skiing, or at best it is barely skiiing.

Now I've seen guys similarly sidestep their way down the face of Jay(on hard pack no less). But I assume it's their first time down, and they are building up to better runs in the future.

Is that what K2 guy is doing? I'm doubting it.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Watching the video, I have no idea how he doesn't see this coming. It's pretty apparent to me the horizon is either ending entirely (which was the case) or there's going to be an extremely steep section ahead and you need to SLOW down. Instead he goes full on into it and then decides to hit a little kicker. :dunno:

maxresdefault.jpg

I think you're misunderstanding what I'm saying. It comes down to a sematics thing about the definition of skiing. I'm basically saying it's impossible to ski down that moutain.

Think of it this way. If that whole moutain was made of ice and someone slowly walked sideways down it with an ice pick while wearing a pair of ice skates, did that person "skate" down the mountain, or just walk down it wearing a pair of skates? Actually, better yet, if I go out on a totally flat, non dangerous ice surface and slowly walk/shuffle around, would you say I was skating?

It's not in any way taking away from how skillful the person is, how crazy it is, or how dangerous it is. It's just questioning how you define the word.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad