OT: The Thread About Nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Only had a short time out west this time, had to come back for unforseen obligations. But an interesting thing happened over a few bourbons... I was offered a job in Utah. I thought it was nothing more than good time whiskey talk until I got a call today to do a Skype interview this week. I told the guy I can't leave my company and that I am in the "end game" of my career now. He said let's just talk and see where it goes from there and I will. I know I couldn't give 100% to new endeavor at this stage but it was certainly flattering.

But what I learned over the last few years is that fly fishing is the new golf in terms of business and networking.

Learn to tie a good fly and drink everyone under the table while still maintaining some semblance of decorum...that is my commencement advice.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Only had a short time out west this time, had to come back for unforseen obligations. But an interesting thing happened over a few bourbons... I was offered a job in Utah. I thought it was nothing more than good time whiskey talk until I got a call today to do a Skype interview this week. I told the guy I can't leave my company and that I am in the "end game" of my career now. He said let's just talk and see where it goes from there and I will. I know I couldn't give 100% to new endeavor at this stage but it was certainly flattering.

But what I learned over the last few years is that fly fishing is the new golf in terms of business and networking.

Learn to tie a good fly and drink everyone under the table while still maintaining some semblance of decorum...that is my commencement advice.

when on of my chickens eventually dies ill send you the cape feathers so you tie some up man :thumbu:

Reactions: Aethon

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Two weeks until the first football practice of the 2018 season. I can't wait to start coaching again

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) CHIEF KEEFE
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
pick-up trucks are unnecessarily massive nowadays. i miss the ford ranger (i know it's coming back but it'll be bigger and expensive) and chevy s-10.

if/when i need something to go to home depot in when i'm a home owner someday i'm gonna import one of these from japan.

subaru-sambar-1-490x367.jpg

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
pick-up trucks are unnecessarily massive nowadays. i miss the ford ranger (i know it's coming back but it'll be bigger and expensive) and chevy s-10.

if/when i need something to go to home depot in when i'm a home owner someday i'm gonna import one of these from japan.

subaru-sambar-1-490x367.jpg

That vehicle reminds me of Rampage

Godzilla would definitely eat that car

Reactions: New Jersey

New Jersey

Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
Godzilla would definitely eat that car

:laugh:

Yeah, it's mostly just a desire to have a second collector car with a four figure price tag that looks totally ridiculous in a right-hand traffic world, but actually would serve some utility instead of being something to just Sunday drive to brunch in.

I'm a big fan of Japanese cars, if that wasn't implied. I would totally get QQ plates for it, too. $44 up front for the plates, registration renewal every three years is free, eligible for collector car insurance.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
I don't care what anyone says says, I loved August two-a-days .

Two-a-days are no longer allowed. Not sure if that is at a national level or just in NJ. I believe the NCAA doesn't allow two-a-days anymore either.

They sucked as a player, but they are so helpful for coaches. You can get so much work in

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Two-a-days are no longer allowed. Not sure if that is at a national level or just in NJ. I believe the NCAA doesn't allow two-a-days anymore either.

They sucked as a player, but they are so helpful for coaches. You can get so much work in
Wow! I can't believe they don't do that anymore... In August we used to do "camp" for 3 days where we all slept in the gymnasium of the H.S to open the year. It was triple sessions. Morning then break, mid day timed 1 mile run, lunch, nap then afternoon session for 3 days.

Jersey Man

Mad Dog
Oct 20, 2008
New York, NY
Just booked a trip to LA while the Devils will be in town in December. Starting a bucket list goal of seeing the Devils play against every team on the road. So far have down - Rangers, Capitals, Avalanche, Canadiens (2019).

Hoping to catch an Islanders game at Barclays but in no rush and rather wait until Belmont at this point lol

New Jersey

Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
Just booked a trip to LA while the Devils will be in town in December. Starting a bucket list goal of seeing the Devils play against every team on the road. So far have down - Rangers, Capitals, Avalanche, Canadiens (2019).

Hoping to catch an Islanders game at Barclays but in no rush and rather wait until Belmont at this point lol

Barclays is fun because the last two times we played there it almost felt like Newark.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

Nashville was a fun, easy trip. We are looking at Boston this season possibly, though I was pushing for Vancouver :laugh:

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Wow! I can't believe they don't do that anymore... In August we used to do "camp" for 3 days where we all slept in the gymnasium of the H.S to open the year. It was triple sessions. Morning then break, mid day timed 1 mile run, lunch, nap then afternoon session for 3 days.

Wow that just sounds awful. I'm fine without double sessions as long as there is an extra week of practice coming back.

I was out of the sport for a while and finally got back into it a few years back and I'm so glad I did. Really helped me transition coming back home from college. I just wish I played college ball

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
canoe paddling north of peterborough today for 5 plus hours , youngs point launch, looking at lake front cottages and making frank lloyd wright jokes about a couple of them

with 2 old old college friends ...best day ive had in a real long while

we all needed a day to just f***ing float and laugh our asses off

•only 3 beverages were consumed by each so it wasnt a piss tank joke mockery and disrespect of being out on the water

newjerseydamo

May 15, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
www.puck-mad.com
canoe paddling north of peterborough today for 5 plus hours , youngs point launch, looking at lake front cottages and making frank lloyd wright jokes about a couple of them

with 2 old old college friends ...best day ive had in a real long while

we all needed a day to just ****ing float and laugh our asses off

•only 3 beverages were consumed by each so it wasnt a piss tank joke mockery and disrespect of being out on the water
Sounds exactly like what I need right now. Seriously.

New Jersey

Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
I live ten minutes away from it, but I'm so lazy about going. Maybe this year will be the year.

You should also look into the Devils' game at the renovated Coliseum in January. The Islanders will be playing everyone in the Metro [except the Rags :laugh:] there at least once in the latter half of the season. I'm sure tickets will be at a premium but seeing as this will be one of the final opportunities to watch an NHL game in that barn as an opposing fan, I'm willing to shell out.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
You should also look into the Devils' game at the renovated Coliseum in January. The Islanders will be playing everyone in the Metro [except the Rags :laugh:] there at least once in the latter half of the season. I'm sure tickets will be at a premium but seeing as this will be one of the final opportunities to watch an NHL game in that barn as an opposing fan, I'm willing to shell out.
I'm definitely planning to go to one. The Colliseum is about 10 minutes away from me. I can uber there and it would probably cost me less than parking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad