OT: The Thread About Nothing

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
But you are very wrong about mt snow. A) unless it's a huge dump, I prefer driving 3.5 hours as opposed to 6.5 or more if it's only 1-3 days, and B) I enjoy the park as much as the trees and mt snows is world class.

I have no interest park. I do hear they have a great park, but why drive 3.5 hours for park? You can do that right here in the Poconos.

In terms of actual downhill skiing, however, there is nothing in southern Vermont that is even 2/3 as good as any of the northern Vermont mountains. The best alpine terrain s.VT has to offer is Magic Mountain, but most people have never even heard of the place, much less actually skied it.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
I have no interest park. I do hear they have a great park, but why drive 3.5 hours for park? You can do that right here in the Poconos.

In terms of actual downhill skiing, however, there is nothing in southern Vermont that is even 2/3 as good as any of the northern Vermont mountains. The best alpine terrain s.VT has to offer is Magic Mountain, but most people have never even heard of the place, much less actually skied it.
That's the same as me asking you why you don't like Mt Snow, they have trees too. It's a world class park with better downhill then anywhere south of Vermont. I enjoy both. That and the attitude of park rats in pa and nj can be unbearable. Fortunately Killington swallows most of that up in vt.

Magic Mountain is the last one left for me to do, well, that I'm allowed to do anyways (get your head out of your ass mad river!). I have heard of it, but it just seemed so small that it wasnt worth the trip. Given your knowledge and praise maybe I'll give it a go this season.

Have you - or anyone else here - ever done tuckerman ravine? If so, is it worth the hike?

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Magic Mountain is the last one left for me to do, well, that I'm allowed to do anyways (get your head out of your ass mad river!). I have heard of it, but it just seemed so small that it wasnt worth the trip.

Some of the smallest areas are my favorites. Usually no crowds & the snow lasts longer. Plattekill for instance, is my favorite Catskills resort. You probably wouldnt like it as there's no true park, but their terrain is great & there's no lines. Plus when conditions are great they have tree skiing, which is rare in the Cats. I also liked Loveland in Colorado more than some of the famous household name mountains out there for similar reasons.

But in terms of s.VT, I honestly don't bother skiing there. Yes, a place like Mount Snow is 2 hours closer than a Stowe or a Smuggler's Notch, but to me the 4 hours extra round trip driving is well worth it for dramatically better terrain & skiing. I get how that driving's a deal-breaker for some, but skiing is my favorite hobby, so I do it. I'll make an exception for a huge storm though, like last year Magic got something like 38" in 3 days (pic below), so I spent a weekend there rather than driving to n.VT (which got less snow from that storm) - it was amazing.

DWmagic.jpg

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Southern Vt is that middle mushy ground for me. If I want close I'll go to Vernon or PA, if I want kind of close but a more aggressive Mt, there is Hunter.

If I want to drive, I feel I might as well go all the way. So 4.5 hours to southern Vt or 6.5 to Jay? I go Jay.

But I should diversify my skiing locations more. I've been to Smugg's once(4 days and it was cold and hard while Jay was getting powder) and have never been to Stowe. Buying land up won't help much in that regard.

Reactions: BenedictGomez

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Had some real bad Mexican last night have been sick all day. Tasted good at the time but man am I feeling it now
Yeah, I know the feeling. Sometimes certain stuff doesn't agree with me, and Mexican food (or anything really greasy and spicy) has definitely been known to do it before! I still eat it though! Sometimes it's worth it! Hope you get well soon! Should be just a 24 hour thing! I had that with a bunch of seafood last year. Then I ate a bunch of shit the next day for lunch and it killed me! I was gonna be alright before that! That just destroyed me.
sVtnj2vl.jpg

Bought myself a new toy.
With temperatures showing some slight improvement and getting closer to spring, very much looking forward getting out on a bike again.
Nice! Stay safe man! I got a dirtbike, but I'm scared as f*** to regularly ride a street bike! Just because of other people!

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Yeah, I know the feeling. Sometimes certain stuff doesn't agree with me, and Mexican food (or anything really greasy and spicy) has definitely been known to do it before! I still eat it though! Sometimes it's worth it! Hope you get well soon! Should be just a 24 hour thing! I had that with a bunch of seafood last year. Then I ate a bunch of **** the next day for lunch and it killed me! I was gonna be alright before that! That just destroyed me.
Nice! Stay safe man! I got a dirtbike, but I'm scared as **** to regularly ride a street bike! Just because of other people!
Other day a guy was riding his bicycle on one of the hilly winding roads near me, and a truck pulls out, hits him with his mirror, and the guy on the bike gets knocked over the gaurd rail, down an embankment, not sure how far down, but there are some big drops, guy breaks his femur amongst other things, and needed to get helivac'd to the hospital.

So yeah, I ride my bike a fair amount, but I'm wary of any distance because the roads around here are just so packed with cars, including aggressive and careless drivers.

Edit: Car that hit him drove off. Guy had to climb up the hill with a broken leg. People suck.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Other day a guy was riding his bicycle on one of the hilly winding roads near me, and a truck pulls out, hits him with his mirror, and the guy on the bike gets knocked over the gaurd rail, down an embankment, not sure how far down, but there are some big drops, guy breaks his femur amongst other things, and needed to get helivac'd to the hospital.

So yeah, I ride my bike a fair amount, but I'm wary of any distance because the roads around here are just so packed with cars, including aggressive and careless drivers.

Edit: Car that hit him drove off. Guy had to climb up the hill with a broken leg. People suck.
Ugh! I've known people who have been killed on them before. But then I also know a lot of people who have rode them for years and years and never even came close to an accident on one!

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Some of the smallest areas are my favorites. Usually no crowds & the snow lasts longer. Plattekill for instance, is my favorite Catskills resort. You probably wouldnt like it as there's no true park, but their terrain is great & there's no lines. Plus when conditions are great they have tree skiing, which is rare in the Cats. I also liked Loveland in Colorado more than some of the famous household name mountains out there for similar reasons.

But in terms of s.VT, I honestly don't bother skiing there. Yes, a place like Mount Snow is 2 hours closer than a Stowe or a Smuggler's Notch, but to me the 4 hours extra round trip driving is well worth it for dramatically better terrain & skiing. I get how that driving's a deal-breaker for some, but skiing is my favorite hobby, so I do it. I'll make an exception for a huge storm though, like last year Magic got something like 38" in 3 days (pic below), so I spent a weekend there rather than driving to n.VT (which got less snow from that storm) - it was amazing.

DWmagic.jpg
Love plattekill on a pow day. I was going to mention it but figured you had skiied there a bit.

Have yet to do Loveland but have spent a fair amount of time at a-basin. That's a great locals hill, especially if you've just spent days at Vail or Breck.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Speaking of skiing, some Polish dude with an obvious death wish became the first person to successfully ski K2.

Last edited:
Reactions: Davegarri

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
i just burned a south jersey friend over text.

she called facial tissue "kleenex" and i was like "O RLY WHY NO TAYLOR HAM THEN?"

same principle, don't @ me

When i met some friends in college that were from north jersey I was confused what they were talking about when mentioning taylor ham... Also wtf ive never heard anyone down here call tissues kleenex down here..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad