OT: The Thread About Nothing Part 190: Terrorists, Wild Trout, Microbeers, and Stuff

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
One of my best friends growing up will have his wedding next weekend. Pretty pumped except its a dry wedding and I'll be wearing a searsucker

VaxjoDevil

No kids - Still a person
Nov 11, 2009
Princeton, NJ
Two flights to Paris booked.

****'s getting real.

Good for you man! Just to brag, I have lived in Paris for three years, so if you need any advice just ask. I can tell you one right now. Do not rush waiters like if you are a customer who has any rights. Lunch is serious business and eating lunch should take the time it needs, or you will be treated with utter disrespect.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Paris is a great time I've heard. Just watch out for the local Frenchies. Very rude apparently.

Disagree. I was treated very nicely in Paris. I did try to speak French though (I've had a few years in school, speak at a child-like level) and I think that makes a huge difference if they see the effort.

I just ordered an American made archery product(a set of limbs) from London...With shipping it was cheaper than I can get the very same product anywhere in the US without shipping.

I figure the American taxes on this product is increasing the cost by OVER 20%.
..There are special excise tax on archery equipment above normal taxes...

How messed up is that? I have to go to Europe to buy an American product for about 22% less?

If you research that let me know what you find. I'm not aware of this.

Not surprising given the whole mortgage crises/housing bubble/economic downturn.

I do think we have hit bottom on that and expect the rebound to begin shortly.

Prices are def at the point where I think people will start looking to buy again.

Well that's the consensus view (prices have already started to rebound). I'm out of consensus though, my view is that prices will rebound some, but then they will fall again. I'm in no hurry to buy.

Do not rush waiters like if you are a customer who has any rights. Lunch is serious business and eating lunch should take the time it needs, or you will be treated with utter disrespect.

This is perhaps the most immediately noticeable cultural difference (err...other than language), and I can appreciate it, but sometimes it CAN get ridiculous. You definitely have to ask for the bill.

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
One of my best friends growing up will have his wedding next weekend. Pretty pumped except its a dry wedding and I'll be wearing a searsucker

Dry? That sucks. But searsucker is awesome.

Good for you man! Just to brag, I have lived in Paris for three years, so if you need any advice just ask. I can tell you one right now. Do not rush waiters like if you are a customer who has any rights. Lunch is serious business and eating lunch should take the time it needs, or you will be treated with utter disrespect.

I'll definitely be talking to you then! And that's one of the reasons why I want to go so bad. I'm pretty familiar with the French culinary world, including the process, so to speak, of going to a restaurant.

Disagree. I was treated very nicely in Paris. I did try to speak French though (I've had a few years in school, speak at a child-like level) and I think that makes a huge difference if they see the effort.

This is perhaps the most immediately noticeable cultural difference (err...other than language), and I can appreciate it, but sometimes it CAN get ridiculous. You definitely have to ask for the bill.

I speak some basic French as does the fiancee. I'm going to keep learning as much as I can before then though.

And it's a honeymoon, I'm fine with just sitting in bistros and cafes most days, haha.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I don't believe the scenario is covered under the law...

US distributor exports and I buy overseas.... you would think the seller becomes the importer but the product origin is US? All I know is to buy the same set of limbs in the US it would cost me around $200. I paid $160 with shipping.

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
If you try to speak to Parisians in french, however basic it is, they will be adorable.

That's my plan. Or to lie and say I'm from Toronto, eh? :sarcasm:

US distributor exports and I buy overseas.... you would think the seller becomes the importer but the product origin is US? All I know is to buy the same set of limbs in the US it would cost me around $200. I paid $160 with shipping.

I believe you're not an importer, because you're not buying for the purpose of re-selling, and because they are selling outside of the Euro zone they aren't subject to the VAT taxes, etc.

It's definitely a grey area in tax law though because if you only avoid a small amount of taxes how will the IRS/gov't find out or care? But if you end up $1000s ahead and are selling stuff on eBay or something then someone ain't gonna be happy.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ

I lied; I do know about this, I just didn't know it applied to bows and arrows as well. Every gun in America and every box of ammunition sold, it taxed above and beyond mere sales tax, the proceeds of which go to that "wildlife" fund.

This is a tax trick politicians use whereby they tax the company directly so that they can mask and hide the fact they're actually taxing the American people.

The general public doesn't follow this crap, they just see the price of a product they frequently purchase has increased, so their reaction is, "that greedy business is raising prices" - and it's completely unbeknownst to them that the price increase is solely done so the company can maintain profitability, the government's tax has been passed on to the American people via the retailer (like it always is). Economics 104. Though I dont understand why in your case the spread is so massive, $40 must account for something other than simply the tax, I think there's likely some other hi-jinx going on as well.

And dont even get me started about the environmentalists banning lead ammo to "save the wildlife", a decision that is still unnecessarily killing millions of birds per year, avian mortality research statistics be damned.

longest none-encoded url of the day award
most boring link of the day award too

There's still 10+ hours to go, but I think it will win going away.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
the fed is set up to promote exporting and curb importing. If you think about it, you are not importing, you are buying from an importer overseas. This is probably how he got good pricing to begin with.

Tax code is set up to penalize a US seller of buying goods from overseas and re-selling here but to favor exporting goods to foreign buyers. There's plenty of assistance available if you want to export (as long as it's not military related). I used to work in the SBA's program for small business assistance and we had another person dedicated to import/export assistance. She basically couldn't do anything to help the folks wanting to import goods except describe the customs procedures.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
the fed is set up to promote exporting and curb importing.

Do you know how international mailing works?

I've noticed that if Joe Schmo wants to ship something from overseas to America, it's rather expensive. But if Joe Schmo Inc. wants to sent it to America, it's reasonable.

I can use England as an example, I had a violin shipped to me from an average citizen in London last year, and it was CRAZY expensive (and he wasn't gouging me on shipping), but if you buy a violin from a London violin shop it's fairly reasonable. So I suspect either the UK government subsidizes business shipping or the business pays a reduced rate for their increased volume.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Do you know how international mailing works?

I've noticed that if Joe Schmo wants to ship something from overseas to America, it's rather expensive. But if Joe Schmo Inc. wants to sent it to America, it's reasonable.

I can use England as an example, I had a violin shipped to me from an average citizen in London last year, and it was CRAZY expensive (and he wasn't gouging me on shipping), but if you buy a violin from a London violin shop it's fairly reasonable. So I suspect either the UK government subsidizes business shipping or the business pays a reduced rate for their increased volume.

Not familiar with it at all. I imagine that has something to do with both countries wanting to spur more B2B transactions through regulation or tax deductions for shipping expenses? But overall yes, shipping rates can be locked in for anticipated annualized volumes so each shipment isn't a one-off rate. With transportation costs so high now, they have to do this or the economy would just grind to a halt and shipping companies would die. I still wonder how FedEx can afford to compete with UPS and USPS for small items and letters. Just the cost to operate the air and ground fleets let alone staffing... I just don't see how they operate at a profit.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/21/b...cast-as-3rd-quarter-profit-falls-31.html?_r=0

FedEx has 666 planes and profits fell 31%... that number hurts everyone. :laugh:

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Too much. The Canadian post office is slower than death.

I sent a bow to Vancouver and it took 33 days to get there. Apparently they like to hold packages (I lol'ed as I typed those last two words) from the US in Customs to collect tax or until it is proved that the item isn't taxable.

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
I sent a bow to Vancouver and it took 33 days to get there. Apparently they like to hold packages (I lol'ed as I typed those last two words) from the US in Customs to collect tax or until it is proved that the item isn't taxable.

Or make you do algebra for no apparent real reason.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
It feels like Rocky Mountain summer at 8000 feet here today...I think I'm going to leave work early and sit outside and make believe I'm in Wyoming.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
FedEx has 666 planes and profits fell 31%... that number hurts everyone. :laugh:

The economy is terrible, and people having less money = less purchasing = less shipping = falling FDX profits. That company is incredibly efficient though, if anyone can manage themselves out of trouble it's them.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Well this is *********, the former chairman of my old firm has pretty much gotten off scot-free of any wrongdoing for driving the firm intro bankruptcy. I guess $500k is a small price to pay for him instead of jailtime.

Well, the article you linked says:

The Manhattan district attorney’s office is investigating alleged financial improprieties at the firm, according to sources.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad