The team that tanked the most aggressively got Bedard.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Draft order is dumb, should be done from just missed playoffs getting #1 down to worst team then continue as it does now.

People acting like the hawks should have to delete their franchise because some bad things happened are the same idiots who think bad things happening is out of the ordinary.

Most people are bad, many of those people are very bad, however very few get caught.

Judging others is best left for the professionals who are trained to do so.
That's not how society works.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
If you and others had their way it would be a century of picks and even then it wouldn’t be enough.

* * *​
Such a dumb counter point.

-https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/1cqURgg1eslU9Ky7NOUHlvM0PJ5rVX-FHZuacYBUL77o/htmlview#

This hasn’t been updated since 2015 mind you. But the culture in hockey has been a problem for generations and you’d have to be a complete idiot to try and limit it to just “hawks bad” when every team has several players, owners, or staff tied to sexual assault.
AND

The issue isn't being "tied to", it's that they deliberately covered it up and then lied about it for a decade, to the degree of allowing the perpetrator to resign on his own terms and GIVING HIM A POSITIVE REFERENCE TO ANOTHER JOB WITH EVEN YOUNGER KIDS. You're trying to argue that aiding and abetting criminal behavior is the same as mere guilt by association, and it's f***ing disgusting.

Reactions: cole von cole

Pile

May 5, 2015
Chicago
As long as bedard doesn’t drop the soap he should be good.

I’m surprised by the lack of outrage at comments making light of the Beach situation like this. I’ve seen an alarming amount throughout various Bedard related threads, and I think it’s fairly pathetic that the same posters virtual signaling in here don’t address this disgusting type of reply.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

* * *​

AND

The issue isn't being "tied to", it's that they deliberately covered it up and then lied about it for a decade, to the degree of allowing the perpetrator to resign on his own terms and GIVING HIM A POSITIVE REFERENCE TO ANOTHER JOB WITH EVEN YOUNGER KIDS. You're trying to argue that aiding and abetting criminal behavior is the same as mere guilt by association, and it's f***ing disgusting.

The bolded piece at the end never happened Viqsi, outside of telling him there would be a full investigation, or he could resign on his own. They did cover it up, obviously. Do better research. You're much better than this.

I’m surprised by the lack of outrage at comments making light of the Beach situation like this. I’ve seen an alarming amount throughout various Bedard related threads, and I think it’s fairly pathetic that the same posters virtual signaling in here don’t address this disgusting type of reply.

Just keep reporting them. Simple as that.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Good luck with that. When they drafted Kane and Toews they had Keith, Seabrook and Hammer all in the system or playing. They also had already drafted a fair bit of their depth on the championship teams. They also had an established top goalie. They still missed the playoffs in 2007-2008 with pretty much their full championship core minus Hossa.

This team is starting with Bedard, an aging Seth Jones and pretty much nothing else of substance to build on. The free agency class this year is very weak. Unless someone like Matthews goes UFA and signs there it won't be easy for them to do anything for at least three years. They will be leaning heavily on kids like Korchinski and Reichel.

I am well aware, the 2000s sucked as a fan.

However in 2008, it was Kane/Toews rookie year, Keith/Seabrook were in year 3, Hjarm barely played & Sharp was in the midst of his breakout year. The team was barely out of the Wirtz SR years which turned away a lot of the teams prestige and appeal.

My point was, the franchises rich history & location will be an asset should they want to sign good free agents in a year or two.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
Jokes that make light of sexual abuse and assault are pretty obviously not okay. Whether intentional or not, they're directed at the victims, and play off decades old tropes of emasculation and shame that carry forward a disgusting stigma that lets these things happen.

That being said, jokes directed at the franchise itself and about the coverup are fine in my book. The Blackhawks should be given shit forever for it. The owners, everyone on that Cup team that let it happen, the executives, and anyone else who was complicit should have their legacy stained forever. The team is a joke and they should carry that as long as people remember it.

Reactions: SiZ and I am toxic

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Nope, just the only one who made an open commitment to all sorts of positive change in the wake of the Beach incident and then immediately balked at the first open opportunity to acknowledge and welcome other sexualities and prove they've learned literally anything at all about the last decade.

And you know what? Hide behind them if you want but those other franchises are something of a joke too in that regard. If they had half the checkered history of the Blackhawks right now you'd see the same outrage if they were handed a cherished prize. You think people forget James Dolan is a shitwit just because of the Blackhawks?

Zadorovs family could easily be harassed or harmed back home due to homosexuality being illegal in Russia. Sorry that the team didn't want one of their players families harmed all in the name of wearing a pride jersey.

DaPhazz

Jun 30, 2016
Verdun, Montréal
The bolded piece at the end never happened Viqsi, outside of telling him there would be a full investigation, or he could resign on his own. They did cover it up, obviously. Do better research. You're much better than this.

Just keep reporting them. Simple as that.

Meh, the Blackhawks showed that you can get away with pretty much anything

Get used to have a target on you back, Blackhawks fans.. the hockey community won't be too kind for the next couple years. Enjoy Bedard tho

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
I did say recent, and if you don't think the league is giving the likes of NY, NJ and now Chi a leg up in this cap world, then you're just naive.

I have been told that I'm similarly naive about chemtrails.

Let's walk through this list again, which was posted earlier in the thread.

Chicago
Montreal
Buffalo
NY
NJ
Buffalo
NJ
Toronto
Edmonton
Florida

New York and Chicago got the top pick once apiece. New Jersey is a middling hockey market. Then there's Buffalo twice, Florida, and a few Canadian teams.

There's no pattern of the league "giving" the top pick to any team. Get over your conspiracy theories, just because things didn't work out how you wanted them to. And for the record, I really didn't want Chicago to win the lottery, but I don't go off saying anything is fixed when they did win it.

ColbyChaos

I am a made up country
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Yeah that's definitely the sentiment you were conveying
Because it’s true? If it wasn’t us another scandal would have broken out sooner than later. Look at the whole Nichuskin situation with the Avs going on right now if you seriously don’t think the entire league and this sport has a culture problem.

Even your precious Wings have a few hidden scandals they are desperately hoping never see the light of day.

ichbinkanadier

Apr 22, 2023
So what is the league going to do next year when 10 teams are competing to see how badly they can trash their rosters for 3/4 of the season ? There will still be a couple delusional management teams next year who wont tank. But still. Clearly tanking works. The harder the tank the better.

This idea that the lottery is preventing tanking is ridiculous.
The solution to tanking is getting rid of the draft.

The entire purpose of the draft was to keep salaries low by preventing bidding wars.

The other reason cited: to prevent rich teams from buying all the top prospects.

There is now a team payroll cap in place AND a rookie cap on top of that.

So the decision where to sign would come down to factors other than money. Playing time, reputation of the team for player development, commitment of the team to winning, city team is located in, hockey culture of the city, taxes...

If you really think about it, and get past the fact that the draft is the norm in all leagues there really is no need for a draft within a league that has a double cap for rookie spending

Reactions: Brookbank

Frankie Blueberries

Dream Team
Jan 27, 2016
Chicago is a gross franchise and the NHL is a joke for penalizing the Coyotes and Devils by taking away their 1st round picks for relatively innocuous issues compared to covering up sexual assault. Bush league.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
How did it work for Buffalo and Edmonton?

I never really understood reducing the odds for the worst teams.

And yes, I'm bitter my team never won a lottery over the past 6 seasons and often dropped a spot.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada

We can just sweep it under the rug if you’d like.

Chicago is still run by the same piece of shit owner. So until then, I’ll continue to rip on their organization.

Make sure bedard doesn’t watch video alone.

Pile

May 5, 2015
Chicago
We can just sweep it under the rug if you’d like.

Chicago is still run by the same piece of shit owner. So until then, I’ll continue to rip on their organization.

Make sure bedard doesn’t watch video alone.

I'm not surprised you don't follow the argument, I'll expand.

You cannot make light of the situation and in the same breath act like you actually care. For you, (and many others) this is clearly just an angle to take to disguise jealously. I'm in no way defending Wirtz or those involved with the cover up, simply expressing that you don't get to make jokes and be taken seriously at the same time.

In the future, you'd be better off taking the integrity of tanking approach.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
He grew up a Canucks fan watching the Sedins. He 100% did not like Chicago and this was probably very disappointing for him.

Yes, a 17 year old kid, who will be drafted by a storied O6 franchise, who won 3 Cups throughout his childhood, with players I can guarantee he idolized(Same haircut and goal celly as Kane in pictures and videos), and will be taken 1st overall in the NHL draft, where he'll live his dream for the next 15-20 years... was super disappointed last night. Especially when his hometown team literally had the least possible chance of winning the lottery for him.

EdzosCrayon

Apr 4, 2013
Usually I root for things in this sport based on 1. What outcome is best for the team I cheer for and 2. What outcome is funniest/will create the best online meltdown. Hawks winning the lotto was the middle part of the venn diagram where the circles overlap each other. Thank you again Uncle Gary for rigging it in our favor, we knew we could count on you!

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Yes, a 17 year old kid, who will be drafted by a storied O6 franchise, who won 3 Cups throughout his childhood, with players I can guarantee he idolized(Same haircut and goal celly as Kane in pictures and videos), and will be taken 1st overall in the NHL draft, where he'll live his dream for the next 15-20 years... was super disappointed last night. Especially when his hometown team literally had the least possible chance of winning the lottery for him.
I like how you left out the part where your organization was part of the biggest scandal in modern hockey and tried to sweep a sexual assault case under the rug.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I like how you left out the part where your organization tried to sweep a sexual assault case under the rug.

And? No one involved is with the Hawks organization anymore, and most will likely ever be involved in hockey again. It's irrelevant to him at this point.

Even the owner has stepped back from the team. Do you think he cares who signs his multi-million dollar paychecks?

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
I'm not surprised you don't follow the argument, I'll expand.

You cannot make light of the situation and in the same breath act like you actually care. For you, (and many others) this is clearly just an angle to take to disguise jealously. I'm in no way defending Wirtz or those involved with the cover up, simply expressing that you don't get to make jokes and be taken seriously at the same time.

In the future, you'd be better off taking the integrity of tanking approach.

Yea you got me. Super jealous of the blackhawks

I’ll continue to insult the organization as I please.

And? No one involved is with the Hawks organization anymore, and most will likely ever be involved in hockey again. It's irrelevant to him at this point.

Do you know who your owner is?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad