The Tank Megathread | 8 | The Tank Awakens

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

canucks20

Oct 12, 2009
This is turning into a nightmare. Benning will buy at the deadline. This franchise is setting itself back so far. Easily the worst run franchise in the NHL. So painful to be a fan of them

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
This is turning into a nightmare. Benning will buy at the deadline. This franchise is setting itself back so far. Easily the worst run franchise in the NHL. So painful to be a fan of them

Yep. I just have a sinking feeling he is indeed going to buy... And we're going to end up finishing just short or miraculously make the playoffs and get embarrassed in four games. Like what's the point? How is that, rather than drafting a potentially franchise changing prospect that people can be excited about, supposed to generate more interest?

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
Yep. I just have a sinking feeling he is indeed going to buy... And we're going to end up finishing just short or miraculously make the playoffs and get embarrassed in four games. Like what's the point? How is that, rather than drafting a potentially franchise changing prospect that people can be excited about, supposed to generate more interest?

Because I'd rather have my team have their ***** handed to them in 4 games in the playoffs than getting a potential franchise player.

Those 4 games would be invaluable to our young players. They'd have an idea of how bad this team is

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

It generates more money in Ownerships pocket, that is the main objective for ownership on down to management, clearly. :shakehead

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

Super awesome to turn a top 5 pick, plus at least one 1st+ into the 15-20th pick for a couple of playoff home games.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
It generates more money in Ownerships pocket, that is the main objective for ownership on down to management, clearly. :shakehead

Two playoff games, yeah. But is it REALLY going to generate more money long term? People are going to pay to go see a Laine, Pulju, Chychrun, Matthews etc rather than a mediocre team.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Two playoff games, yeah. But is it REALLY going to generate more money long term? People are going to pay to go see a Laine, Pulju, Chychrun, Matthews etc rather than a mediocre team.

It generates money short term, some owners don't care about long term cause they can always sell the team at any point.

NucksRuleYep

Feb 19, 2013
Now benning is going to BUY i hope people are ready to see some future prospects traded away for old rental players

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
It generates money short term, some owners don't care about long term cause they can always sell the team at any point.

I don't buy that Aquilini wants to sell at all. His family is setup long term in Vancouver. The point is, an elite level prospect that excites every time he touches the puck, similar to a Bure level talent, is going to draw more people than a mediocre team who just sits in the middle of the standings and doesn't make any positive progress.

I understand it's about making money, but why not try and build a team that has the chance of turning into a contender, which generates to many more than 2 playoff games per year, and play an exciting brand of hockey with highly skilled, elite players rather than just *hope* finishing 16th or wherever is going to be able to net you players that can put you over the hump to a contender all for the sake of likely TWO playoff games. That's even IF we end up somehow making the playoffs.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
I don't buy that Aquilini wants to sell at all. His family is setup long term in Vancouver. The point is, an elite level prospect that excites every time he touches the puck, similar to a Bure level talent, is going to draw more people than a mediocre team who just sits in the middle of the standings and doesn't make any positive progress.

I understand it's about making money, but why not try and build a team that has the chance of turning into a contender, which generates to many more than 2 playoff games per year, and play an exciting brand of hockey with highly skilled, elite players rather than just *hope* finishing 16th or wherever is going to be able to net you players that can put you over the hump to a contender all for the sake of likely TWO playoff games. That's even IF we end up somehow making the playoffs.
I agree with you but
We both look at it from fans' point of view.
Businessmen look at it from a different angle.

Bonham

Nov 24, 2008
Victoria, BC
Whelp, a win against the Leafs on Saturday is pretty much certain. They're going to be pretty close to the wildcard spot. No confidence that Benning can see the bigger picture and sell off some assets, especially if they're close to a playoff position.

Pretty unfortunate...the Canuck's offense has completely dried up, but is being masked by some pretty good goaltending. They were within striking distance of a top five pick, but that's now looking unlikely. Bottom four will probably stay pretty much the same, so the fifth spot could still be up for grabs. If Benning tries to buy to make a pointless attempt at the playoffs, I'll pretty much have lost interest in the team for the season. Sell, and there's the potential of adding much needed talent to the prospect pool, and actually something to look forward to. Frustrating that we even have to question if management will do the right thing for the franchise going forward, but they seem completely oblivious to the current state.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Yay for mediocrity.

Benning will probably spend another 2nd round pick on some washed up 23 year old prospect from another team at the deadline.

He'll keep hamhuis (bad asset management)
He'll keep Vrbata (bad asset management)

and we'll pick like 13th and Benning will Choose Max Jones - AKA Virtanen, just worse at skating or Logan Stanley (meat and Potatoes)

:facepalm: :facepalm:

y2kcanucks

Better than you
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
So you believe that JB will trade away prospects for veteran rentals?

Actually I think the only saving grace is that we are so pressed up against the cap due to his idiotic mismanagement of the cap that it's likely not even possible.

But I don't think he'll end up selling our pending FA's which is stupid.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
This organization is just laughable. It's a complete embarrassment to the city of Vancouver.

Let's just be honest. It's an organization ran to appease casual fans rather than actually make the right long term moves to be successful. Trevor Linden.. Absolute casual fan magnet... Casuals look at him and see playoffs only. Cause he's Trevor Linden, right? The playoff warrior with heart. How dare an organization he is running miss the playoffs etc...

Makes me sick.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
no energy for the team right now.

Edler down, the team will squeak out a few wins and stay close to a playoff spot here over the next 7 games. Probably go 2-2-3 or something.

this will have them keeping hamhuis to make a push. it is a major downer. i just don't care to watch them drive for the playoffs. they aren't going to get there.

i invested in this being a rebuild season and for it to go to waste would really suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad