The state of the Habs Rebuild - The Next step

What note you give to Kent Hughes' Rebuild? ?

• A

Votes: 200 56.2%
  • B

Votes: 127 35.7%
  • C

Votes: 29 8.1%
  • D

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • E

• F

• Total voters

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I got roasted for this comment. He's hasn't played that much the last two years, and this one is a complete write off. Unless you are the second coming of Hedman, You are years away from being a capable RHD on THIS TEAM for sure. So instead of 2 years into his progression, we are 2 years behind., and we still don't know what he's going to deliver. Could be great, he could suck, so we start the search all over again?

Hedman wasn't fully in the top pairing role until D5

Hedman won his first cup with Tampa at D11

Not sure what level of play/impact you consider "being capable"... But I think it's an overly pessimistic take to assume that RB can't or won't be a top 4 dman for us in 3 seasons from now (D5).

It's one thing to point out that IF he doesn't pan out, we'll need to find other top 4 RD solutions... Quite another to claim the sky is falling because he got injured at the start of D2.

Patience doesn't cost anything, might as well let the bad things come, if they do, than to spend months/years worrying about "if" they do...

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
The guy is missing pretty much the entire season this year so not sure why he'd be NHL-ready barring a miracle.
He'll be NHL ready as a rookie.. there is a hell of alot of studying and learning that can still be done.
Guhle (finally) looking more comfortable, in this his D+5 season.. defensemen are annoying slow to break out.. give it time..

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
So you say he sucks, and you think someone will give you a top 6 F for him? Maybe I missed something but I don't get the logic.
Well obviously wed have to add.. he has value to a contender.. but to a rebuild, wasted years.

Sure but getting actually being able to play is by far the most important factor.
Yeah it sucks he got injured.. he still has a hell of a lot to learn, study..

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Forcing your stud LHD to play on the right side limits his true potential.. it's not like frwds playing on their off-wing.

Rein should be ready next year to join the Ch along with Demidov.
He's PPG so far this year so I'm not sure how his potential is being limited.

Trabdy2

Nov 30, 2018
I think we'll probably be in for a long year. It's still very early in the season and we're a decent 2-2, but our possession and scoring chance metrics are looking very ugly so far. It'll be interesting to monitor these over the next 5-10 games to see how things change along with our record. Anything near 0.500 hockey is unsustainable with these sorts of possession stats.

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
Shane Wright,, 4 games player and a BIG ZERO no goals no points. YIKES.

Slav .. 4 games 1 goal and 3 points for a point per game so far. Better YIKES.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
The one part I like so far this year , is that forwards that might have been a drain are producing and if that continues they become assets instead of negwtive value players .

I am talking specifically of gally , Anderson and especially devorak that is looking like a perfect third line c and those fetch a ton at the deadline

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Hedman wasn't fully in the top pairing role until D5

Hedman won his first cup with Tampa at D11

Not sure what level of play/impact you consider "being capable"... But I think it's an overly pessimistic take to assume that RB can't or won't be a top 4 dman for us in 3 seasons from now (D5).

It's one thing to point out that IF he doesn't pan out, we'll need to find other top 4 RD solutions... Quite another to claim the sky is falling because he got injured at the start of D2.

Patience doesn't cost anything, might as well let the bad things come, if they do, than to spend months/years worrying about "if" they do...
Patience is a tough one for us all.
D11 and he got a Cup.............this, is very good info for Habs fans.

Reactions: Miller Time

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Very reactionary post but how much rope does Marty have? If not only the team doesn't take a step and top players regress, is St Louis still here next year?
It's not because you are playing like shit for 5 games that you regressed. So far I mostly see a few players who are just thinking too much and going back to bad habits because of it.

It's going to take a few video review sessions to fix all of that.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
It's not because you are playing like shit for 5 games that you regressed. So far I mostly see a few players who are just thinking too much and going back to bad habits because of it.

I am not liking what I'm seeing from Suzuki. It's making me think of his play under Ducharme. He doesn't have that spark and he's the driver of this team.

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
Shane Wright,, 4 games player and a BIG ZERO no goals no points. YIKES.

Slav .. 4 games 1 goal and 3 points for a point per game so far. Better YIKES.

The price is WRIGHT.

:sarcasm:

Very reactionary post but how much rope does Marty have? If not only the team doesn't take a step and top players regress, is St Louis still here next year?

MSL is here for as long as MSL wants to be here.

He just vibing, fam.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

If there is broad player regression, I think he'll be on the hot seat...

But not if it's just the team points/standings that plateau or regress. Habs fans themselves generally felt the roster is not a WC team, and most external pundits have us bottom 5-10.

As long as the young core generally keeps moving in the right direction and they keep competing/engaged through the end of ge season, I think he's safe unless he steps down.

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

Canadiens98

Jan 29, 2021
We need an energy line / shut down line. I hope Dvorak can remember how to play for a good stretch so that we can sell him at the TDL - I'm sure he's a great guy but his play is so vanilla. If Newhook doesn't take the next step offensively then he'll fit perfectly on a line like that.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I think he's safe for this year. Hughes not doing anything this summer besides adding Laine on a whim last second confirmed that we would be a bottom 10 team again. His job will only be in jeopardy if we play poorly despite Hughes actually making meaningful changes to this team.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
I think he's safe for this year. Hughes not doing anything this summer besides adding Laine on a whim last second confirmed that we would be a bottom 10 team again. His job will only be in jeopardy if we play poorly despite Hughes actually making meaningful changes to this team.
He is not going anywhere unless he decides he can't do the job. But hopefully Hugo would insist on a veteran asst coach or 2 to look after some areas, like PK, PP, defense.

Reactions: le_sean

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

The entire team, has passed up scoring chances, and not shot, but have passed the puck far too often, hoping for that perfect open side pass and tip in the empty side type of goal.

They have to start taking more shots, they just have to...........do those shots go in? Maybe, or maybe they create a rebound for the guy who goes to the net?

#99 once said, you miss 100% of the shots, you don't take. Right now, they are over passing and it's obvious each night.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Fire MSL, hire a real coach
Not quite yet............my impression is, he will more than likely remove himself if the results expected are not there, as the season goes on......it sure looks like we lack an X's and O's kind of guy.

Not to mention 5 games is just too early, but I will say the Sens scored 8 and the Leafs scored 6 on the Kings, and we screwed the pooch with 1 goal.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
The entire team, has passed up scoring chances, and not shot, but have passed the puck far too often, hoping for that perfect open side pass and tip in the empty side type of goal.

They have to start taking more shots, they just have to...........do those shots go in? Maybe, or maybe they create a rebound for the guy who goes to the net?

#99 once said, you miss 100% of the shots, you don't take. Right now, they are over passing and it's obvious each night.
MSL have complained about them trying to be fancy/cute for 3 games now. In fact, it looks like the issue is the players all think they are hot shot players instead of blue collars.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

He has plenty of rope.

There aren't expectations this year other than to get closer to the play-offs and nobody in hockey is going to overreact to what's going on 5 games in.

Now if we get late into next season and things are still a glaring issue, then yes, the rope starts to fray away. But no decisions for 2 years, at minimum on Marty.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad