Pre-Game Talk: THE STANLEY CUP FINAL | Penguins vs. Predators | Pens Lead Series 3-2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Whale Mingo

Nov 18, 2012
I wonder how players like Pouliot, Streit, Bennett last year feel "Winning" the cup? On one hand, you get to be a champion. On the other, you know you contributed very little.

Personally speaking, I could make my piece with it. I'd like to think they love the team as much as we do so it would be like being a fan, but with really good seats to every game.

I could find a way to live with it.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I wonder how players like Pouliot, Streit, Bennett last year feel "Winning" the cup? On one hand, you get to be a champion. On the other, you know you contributed very little.

Bennett played 33 games plus 1 in the playoffs so he would have got his name on it if he was healthy (though when you put it like that he's never going to qualify via the 41 regular season games). Pouliot played 22 games.

Interestingly Archibald's name would go on thanks to his game 4 appearance. He's only played 14 games for the Pens.

Feel bad for Ruhwedel, he doesn't meat the 41 regular season games (34) and played 6 in the playoffs (but none in the finals). Letang will get his name on the cup, he managed 41 games exactly.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Bennett played 33 games plus 1 in the playoffs so he would have got his name on it if he was healthy (though when you put it like that he's never going to qualify via the 41 regular season games). Pouliot played 22 games.

Interestingly Archibald's name would go on thanks to his game 4 appearance. He's only played 14 games for the Pens.

Feel bad for Ruhwedel, he doesn't meat the 41 regular season games (34) and played 6 in the playoffs (but none in the finals). Letang will get his name on the cup, he managed 41 games exactly.

I bet we'd petition for Ruh. He played quite a bit in the games he did play. Having strong D depth has been crucial for us.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
If Pouliot did whatever it took to improve his game, and made his way to the Pens a year or two ago like he was supposed to, he would already have his name on one cup and one win away from another. Coming into camp out of shape a few years ago did him no favors.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I bet we'd petition for Ruh. He played quite a bit in the games he did play. Having strong D depth has been crucial for us.

Definitely think he deserves to be on there. Maybe they'd petition for Streit too, don't think there is anyone else they'd even consider.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
If Pouliot did whatever it took to improve his game, and made his way to the Pens a year or two ago like he was supposed to, he would already have his name on one cup and one win away from another. Coming into camp out of shape a few years ago did him no favors.

and coming on the ice and taking a huge dump every chance he got this year certainly didn't help either :laugh:

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Also, knowing how competitive Sprong is, the injury that cost him a whole season has to bother him. Likely would have been apart of this playoff run.

Just more incentive to be an impact player and help this team get another.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Also, knowing how competitive Sprong is, the injury that cost him a whole season has to bother him. Likely would have been apart of this playoff run.

Just more incentive to be an impact player and help this team get another.

Hank Plank

Jun 5, 2012
Alberta
The thought of another Game 7 makes me sick to my stomach.

You figure they are due for a win in Nashville, right? And are due for a win in Game 6, seeing as they haven't won one since... oh wow, last year's Cup Final. Hmmm...
5:00 into the 1st period will tell the story for the rest of the game. If the Preds come out crashing and banging and feeding off the crowd they'll probably get the first goal. Say hello to game 7.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
5:00 into the 1st period will tell the story for the rest of the game. If the Preds come out crashing and banging and feeding off the crowd they'll probably get the first goal. Say hello to game 7.

nah, means nothing, overrated, we scored first in game 3 and than get that rebound and things kind of bounced their, way
they scored first in game 4, we tied, played well, missed breakout, and lame wraparound goal ...and 2:1

no pattern here, just keep playing, keep them to outside, get in the lanes of d-mans shots, press hard their d-man and hope that bounces go your way

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010

If we start missing multiple scoring chances, then I'll be worried. The types of opportunities that usually went in every game at home this series.

Unless Murray can keep us in it, until we finally get one in.

Either way I see this game being tied in the 3rd. Will be the closest game of the series.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
but we traded Morrow for the pick that got us Guentzel. :nod:

Maybe if Pouliot wasn't there they wouldn't have watched Morrow as much then not drafted causing us not being able to get Guentzel.

In Pouliot we trust ;)

Last edited:

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Your name on the cup is only automatic if it's 41 RS games, or games in the final - not in the 3 rounds leading up to it.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
I try to just not think about that DP pick. Man...let's just move on because there's really nothing new to say about it :cry:

Will never be forgotten. Unless he somehow turns his game around.

But its easier to accept that, with the success of our 3rd round picks.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
People might not agree with me but I think that changing even one pick in a draft would cause a lot of changes. If we dont take Poo then we dont get maatta. There could be a huge spiral effect. Maybe its too extreme but who knows, maybe we dont get murray.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Josi? He's looked more dangerous than Subban offensively. Subban's just looked more effective defensively.

I was watching NHL Network and someone (I don't remember who it was) said that Rinne may win the Smythe even if the Preds lose. He literally has the worst road SCF sv % of all time.

I don't know for the Preds. Subban I guess. I haven't been all that impressed by Josi or Ellis tbh. I know they're very good D and they were better in the first 3 series but I don't think they've been particularly great in the Finals. Honestly the Preds player I've been most impressed with is Arvidsson, I didn't know much about him before this series but he's been very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad