Pre-Game Talk: THE STANLEY CUP FINAL | Penguins vs. Predators | Pens Lead Series 3-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
I was watching NHL Network and someone (I don't remember who it was) said that Rinne may win the Smythe even if the Preds lose. He literally has the worst road SCF sv % of all time.

I don't know for the Preds. Subban I guess. I haven't been all that impressed by Josi or Ellis tbh. I know they're very good D and they were better in the first 3 series but I don't think they've been particularly great in the Finals. Honestly the Preds player I've been most impressed with is Arvidsson, I didn't know much about him before this series but he's been very good.

:laugh: Yeah Rinne's probably not winning it even if they win.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Anyone else really dig the Kunitz - Cullen - Rust line? Even when I saw it in the practice update, it seemed good to my eyes. Thought they played well Thursday night.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I was just reading about how Cullen wants to "hold that sucker again" and then call it a career and head back to Minnesota. Which kind of sucks, I would love for the guy to stay in some coaching capacity after he retires but I can see why he'd want to return home, I could definitely see him getting into coaching at the Collegiate ranks so he doesn't have to move around so much.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I was watching NHL Network and someone (I don't remember who it was) said that Rinne may win the Smythe even if the Preds lose. He literally has the worst road SCF sv % of all time.

I don't know for the Preds. Subban I guess. I haven't been all that impressed by Josi or Ellis tbh. I know they're very good D and they were better in the first 3 series but I don't think they've been particularly great in the Finals. Honestly the Preds player I've been most impressed with is Arvidsson, I didn't know much about him before this series but he's been very good.

Wouldn't be any more embarrassing then giving it to Subban or Josi simply because there's no better options.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
:laugh: Yeah Rinne's probably not winning it even if they win.

Have you seen Rinne's numbers in this series? Lol....ouch. Pens absolutely destroyed his amazing numbers that he had heading into this series.

Rinne Before the Pens:
12-4, 1.70GAA, .941SV% 2SO

Rinne in this series:
2-3, 3.23GAA, .866SV%

Rinne's #'s including the Pens:
14-7, 2.00GAA, .928SV%

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
Have you seen Rinne's numbers in this series? Lol....ouch. Pens absolutely destroyed his amazing numbers that he had heading into this series.

Rinne Before the Pens:

Rinne in this series:
2-3, 3.23GAA, .866SV%

14-7, 2.00GAA, .928SV%

Yeah he's struggled. I mean if he pulled out 2 shutouts he'd get it. It's doesn't matter anyway. Crosby gets it on Sunday :)

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Arvidsson is the turd that was punching Hagelin when he took him down in the fight and then kept punching him. That's gutless.

I was referring to Subban - can't edit posts right now. :(

I can't see Arvidsson or even Forsberg getting any real consideration given their finals.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Already starting to feel anxious for tomorrow. This defence has got to hold on for just 1 more game. This is the first elimination game the Preds will be facing, so I wonder how rinne would play. The pens also have to fix their problem of not closing out a series in the first try.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007

Rinne Before the Pens:

Rinne in this series:
2-3, 3.23GAA, .866SV%

14-7, 2.00GAA, .928SV%

If you just look at the numbers though, they are still pretty incredible even though he's been shelled in the 3 games he's played at PPG.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I can't really criticize Sullivan, but I still think this team would have handled Nashville much better with guys like Archibald and Ruhwedel in there.

The speed and fresh legs would help us at this point.

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
If you just look at the numbers though, they are still pretty incredible even though he's been shelled in the 3 games he's played at PPG.

Yeah, but now they are in the realm of what's pretty common for Cup-winning goalies now. For example, he is not very different than Murray's 2.08 GAA and .923 SV% from last year. However, the situation is very different and he has things playing for and against him.

The main thing for him is there really isn't any standout option to go to outside of him. Johansen and Forsberg were the only 2 forwards that really had a shot at it at any point, and Johansen is hurt and Forsberg has been almost a non-factor in the Finals. The defense is obviously strong, but even there, no one has really ran away as a standout even if Subban is the most likely option from that group. On a different team like Nashville's, Murray's #'s would have given him a **** last year too, but just not on an offensive, skilled team like the Pens that controlled play and scored a lot of goals.

Working against him though is that by far his worst series has been the finals and he has been pulled twice and had a ton of media attention on his horrific numbers in Pittsburgh. Of course, if they win 2 more games, he will likely be much better and have won a Game 7 in Pittsburgh, so that storyline will be diminished, but at this point he is guaranteed to have very weak overall finals numbers no matter what he does from here.

In the end, I think if they come back and win, unless a specific player provides a ton of the offensive heroics in both games 6 and 7 or the Preds are somehow winning games 6-5 or something, I expect he is still the most likely winner for them as his overall #s will still likely look better than any of the individual skaters for the Preds.

mrwirez

Apr 17, 2017
Pitt

Rinne Before the Pens:

Rinne in this series:
2-3, 3.23GAA, .866SV%

14-7, 2.00GAA, .928SV%

Those final numbers including the Pens aren't exactly horrible, but compared to where he was... Yikes.

I find it really strange how it is just PPG arena though. I could see if he went ice cold for the whole series, but he was damn good in NV. He comes back to Pittsburgh for game 5 and yanked after 1 period -LOL. There has to be something "upstairs" with him playing at Pittsburgh

I was thinking earlier, that maybe now the pressure of finally playing in an elimination game, and definitely the biggest game in the entire history of the NV Predators he goes BELLY-FRIGGIN'-UP (hopefully). :popcorn:

Come on Pens.. Sunday for the WIN! :handclap:

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Those final numbers including the Pens aren't exactly horrible, but compared to where he was... Yikes.

I find it really strange how it is just PPG arena though. I could see if he went ice cold for the whole series, but he was damn good in NV. He comes back to Pittsburgh for game 5 and yanked after 1 period -LOL. There has to be something "upstairs" with him playing at Pittsburgh

I was thinking earlier, that maybe now the pressure of finally playing in an elimination game, and definitely the biggest game in the entire history of the NV Predators he goes BELLY-FRIGGIN'-UP (hopefully). :popcorn:

Come on Pens.. Sunday for the WIN! :handclap:

Was he "damn good in NSH" or was he "damn lucky" ? Because there were multiple grade A chances in game 4 that he hadn't saved all series and that Guentzel hadn't missed this series.

mrwirez

Apr 17, 2017
Pitt
Was he "damn good in NSH" or was he "damn lucky" ? Because there were multiple grade A chances in game 4 that he hadn't saved all series and that Guentzel hadn't missed this series.

I suppose you can look at it that way, but I personally think he played much better in NV. Either way, the Pens only scored 2 goals in 2 games there compared to 15 goals in 3 games at home... Lol. It really just seems like Rinne has a Pittsburgh problem though.

Maybe I'm wrong, but to my eye, it looks like their ice is not as good in NV(?) Maybe that has something to do with it too.. who knows..

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
I can't really criticize Sullivan, but I still think this team would have handled Nashville much better with guys like Archibald and Ruhwedel in there.

The speed and fresh legs would help us at this point.

I think Ruhwedel for sure because he's better than Hainsey and suits this team much better. Maybe Sully values those passes he can break up with his long reach and hopes he's not the one to make the breakout. Hainsey's also a stronger guy too. Still doesn't make sense to me but here we are.

Archibald wouldn't be given a lot of minutes or have played that great to sit someone else. He played well when he got a chance but what I mean is he would have had to play so well that would have forced Sully to play him. He'll get chances next season.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Preds fan starts petition to have Crosby suspended for rest of SCF.

https://www.***********/p/national-...of-the-stanley-cup-final-incompetent-referees

Idea is meh, but some of the comments are golden.

So Subban can push Steens head into the ice but Crosby can't push Subbans head into the ice? Hey man, it's a conspiricy! if anyone else does it they will be suspended for 20 games, but Crosby gets away with it because he's Crosby. *ignores proof their theory is false*

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Archibald plays a game that I think is built for playoff hockey. I just think he is one of those 3rd/4th line guys who can create turnovers and score some big goals when we need them. I'm excited to see him here full time next season.

I think Hainsey was kept in because he brought something different to the lineup. Big guy who can box out and has reach.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
So Subban can push Steens head into the ice but Crosby can't push Subbans head into the ice? Hey man, it's a conspiricy! if anyone else does it they will be suspended for 20 games, but Crosby gets away with it because he's Crosby. *ignores proof their theory is false*

I wonder if the fans realise Crosby was trying to get away but PK had his ankle locked up. He was obviously trying to stir Crosby up so they'd both get penalties.

If we lose Crosby and they lose Subban that's pretty much a win for us in this series anyway.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I wonder if the fans realise Crosby was trying to get away but PK had his ankle locked up. He was obviously trying to stir Crosby up so they'd both get penalties.

If we lose Crosby and they lose Subban that's pretty much a win for us in this series anyway.

Just Crosby will be suspended, do whatever for the win amirite?

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
Archibald plays a game that I think is built for playoff hockey. I just think he is one of those 3rd/4th line guys who can create turnovers and score some big goals when we need them. I'm excited to see him here full time next season.

I think Hainsey was kept in because he brought something different to the lineup. Big guy who can box out and has reach.

Yeah no doubt about Hainsey. If that's the case he should probably go with Daley. Dumoulin doesn't do as well when he is the better passer on his line because he gets way more attention and won't be as effective. Rather see Dumo with Schultz. Maatta-Cole the other pair.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba

Both, but mostly luck. It was a classic case of the numbers looking great but the eye test telling a very different story. I do think he's been appreciably worse in Pittsburgh even if we pretend that we scored on all the missed opportunities, though. It's more than just his luck running out.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Both, but mostly luck. It was a classic case of the numbers looking great but the eye test telling a very different story. I do think he's been appreciably worse in Pittsburgh even if we pretend that we scored on all the missed opportunities, though. It's more than just his luck running out.

He was flopping like a fish in game 4. Had a decent game but he got lucky, Pens had him beat so many times but bad luck happened. I can see us scoring around 3 goals tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad