Pre-Game Talk: THE STANLEY CUP FINAL | Penguins vs. Predators | Pens Lead Series 3-2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Subban is on Malkin right?

Give some credit, Nashville's top pairing has done a great job all playoffs.

However the Josi/Ellis pairing has been complete crap against Crosby. Or close to it.

It is the issue Nashville has. Everyone keeps acting like the top and second pairing are equal. They haven't been this series anyways. So they shut Malkin down but Crosby has gone wild.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
I should be taking advantage of living like half a mile from the Montour Trail but instead I'm laying in a hammock on my deck watching Netflix and drinking an Angry Orchard. Not a bad day tbh.

I have it on good authority that before game six, and game seven if necessary, the Pens are allowing fans to beat this up with sledge hammers and steel I-Beams.

If it goes to 7 games they're going to skip having Iceburg repel in on a zipline like the mascot does in Nashville and just have him kick the **** out of JCVD to entertain us.

2lc0nk0.gif

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
IF the Pens win, my order of preference would be 87, 71, 29, 59, 30, 81. I'm about as far from a Fleury fan boy as you can get, but he pulled us through two very good opponents, while the team was being badly outshot.

If you could split votes, 29/30 before 87, 71, etc.

For Preds, it would have to be Rinne, unless they win the next two games 6-5 or something like that. Even then, I don't know who else you could pick, again, unless someone has HT for them in the next two and they win both.

Fleury shouldn't be above Guentzel because Fleury hasn't played in a game since game 3 in the conference finals. The only way Fleury deserves the Smythe is if both goalies are sharing it, which they can't do.

Whale Mingo

Nov 18, 2012
Let's just say, in a completely hypothetical situation, and I mean that, completely hypothetical situation, that the Pens find themselves up 6-0 going to the third period of either game 6 or game 7, do you let Fleury play the last period being it's likely the last time he wears a Pens uniform?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Let's just say, in a completely hypothetical situation, and I mean that, completely hypothetical situation, that the Pens find themselves up 6-0 going to the third period of either game 6 or game 7, do you let Fleury play the last period being it's likely the last time he wears a Pens uniform?

No .

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
No. Not only because they're not going to **** around in a Cup clinching game but because I can see Fleury taking that as more of an insult than as a sign of respect. Not to mention Murray is this team's goalie going forward and I'm not sure it sends a great message to him to pull him in the final period in favor of a guy everyone (not on HF) loves.

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
No. Not only because they're not going to **** around in a Cup clinching game but because I can see Fleury taking that as more of an insult than as a sign of respect. Not to mention Murray is this team's goalie going forward and I'm not sure it sends a great message to him to pull him in the final period in favor of a guy everyone (not on HF) loves.

Yeah agreed on everything. It's a kind of cheesy move and honestly it's insulting to Fleury like you said. If I was him, I would hate that kind of move, like they are giving him a pity, charity appearance that he knows is nothing more than that. Particularly since the guy played a true, key role in this playoffs already and has been a very significant part of this reason compared to the situation last year, let that be his earned and deserved going out reward rather than a meaningless token appearance. And Murray is the future and has earned it to finish up the game and his second cup and be cemented as the future goaltender of the Pens for years.

There's really just no reason to make this a story line and mess with both guys for no reason. Let everyone enjoy the cup and their contributions to it like normal without adding any gimmicky ending to it just for show.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
I didn't like the lines too much but we smashed them so what do I know :laugh:

The midget line seemed to work better against Nashville. They weren't pinned in as much because Nashville doesn't have the forwards like Columbus had.

I don't usually like both small guys with Sid, but those little guys give Nashville's D fits.

And yeah, the fourth line isn't the typical threat to score as when Cullen is there, but considering the parts we've got, it should be excellent on possession, and a line that can handle tough D zone starts.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I don't usually like both small guys with Sid, but those little guys give Nashville's D fits.

And yeah, the fourth line isn't the typical threat to score as when Cullen is there, but considering the parts we've got, it should be excellent on possession, and a line that can handle tough D zone starts.

It's kind of strange how different this playoff year is from last. Tons of different line combos have worked against different teams. There is no way any other team that made it to the Cup Finals shifted their lines around as much as we did.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
If the Pens win... 29/30 or 71/87 deserve splits. That really sucks to hear. As discussed on the main boards, if the Preds win.. I have no damn clue for their CS. No clue.

Subban most likely. Which is pathetic as the only reason he'll win it is because there's simply no one else who's more deserving. :shakehead

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Subban most likely. Which is pathetic as the only reason he'll win it is because there's simply no one else who's more deserving. :shakehead

Josi? He's looked more dangerous than Subban offensively. Subban's just looked more effective defensively.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
I should be taking advantage of living like half a mile from the Montour Trail but instead I'm laying in a hammock on my deck watching Netflix and drinking an Angry Orchard. Not a bad day tbh.

If it goes to 7 games they're going to skip having Iceburg repel in on a zipline like the mascot does in Nashville and just have him kick the **** out of JCVD to entertain us.

2lc0nk0.gif

Nah Iceburg has to kick the crap out of a giant mutant catfish then lob stuffed penguins onto the ice...

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

No. Love MAF and what he did this year to get us here. But any start or move like that is a pity move. IF this was game 7 and at home - then yes maybe - if only because it's at home in front of the home fans. But really? Just no. It's still a pity move.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
I wonder how players like Pouliot, Streit, Bennett last year feel "Winning" the cup? On one hand, you get to be a champion. On the other, you know you contributed very little.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me

What if MAF allowed three or four goals? Would be a cheesy & sad ending to his career simultaneously.

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
I wonder how players like Pouliot, Streit, Bennett last year feel "Winning" the cup? On one hand, you get to be a champion. On the other, you know you contributed very little.

I don't believe Bennett or Pouliot got their names on the cup since they didn't meet the requirements and they didn't petition him on. Streit would be in the same situation as of now but they could petition him on. Obviously they all still won the cup and a guy like Pouliot even played in the playoffs but it def doesn't feel quite the same if you don't get your name on there.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Subban is on Malkin right?

Give some credit, Nashville's top pairing has done a great job all playoffs.

However the Josi/Ellis pairing has been complete crap against Crosby. Or close to it.

It is the issue Nashville has. Everyone keeps acting like the top and second pairing are equal. They haven't been this series anyways. So they shut Malkin down but Crosby has gone wild.

Isn't PK mostly against Crosby? Because Ekholm is hard after Guentzel, so that would give Josi/Ellis the Geno line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad