Blue Jays Discussion: The "So, How About Them Blue Jays?" Edition. [1.5 Games ahead of Yankees]

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
For a team that has one of the longest playoff droughts, I'll take the experience either way. The notoriety that comes with making the post-season so that certain free agents might be swayed to come here and make the club stronger. Not to mention just being a fan and enjoying it. Lots of positives for just getting to the dance. Ofcourse we'd all "prefer" to have success.

I think the Jays gave up way too many prospects to just make the playoffs. I may be wrong, but I feel there's a good chance Price & Buehrle leave in the off season. Given the cost of Price - anything short of a World Series will haunt this franchise.

I have no idea what you expect the Jays to do about their schedule ... It's not like they have a choice in the matter. Most of their games are within their division anyway, which are always tough regardless of the other teams record. The Rays always play the Jays tough, as to the O's, the Yankee's as well .. The Red Sox seem like the easiest but I'd never count them out.

Different teams .. Relatively speaking, the Jays have much better players (some amongst the best in the league at their position) relative to what the Raptors have.

I don't expect the Jays to do anything, I'm just citing what I would have preferred. Every single team (excluding the Yankees) we play from now to the playoffs will be either .500 (Orioles) or below it (everyone else), as of today. I would much rather have went in playing the Royals, Cards, etc. At least have some strong opponents going in.

The Jays are a much better team than the Raptors relative to the top teams in their respective leagues, but the Raptors got into the playoffs by virtue of a easy schedule/conference. I don't want the Jays to coast into it because they don't have to play as hard only to be swept in the ALDS.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Speaking of Delabar, he's got 7 walks in 21 innings. 27k. Sub 2 era. He clearly didn't take the demotion well. Why would he, he was pitching well. And he's continued to pitch well in Buffalo.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
How'd that work for the Raptors? I would actually prefer playoff success...

Raptors weren't anywhere near arguably the best team in the league. Jays don't have the best record but they may be the best team at this point.

Personally, I'd prefer to face Astros the most and maybe even the Royals over the Yankees. Don't really want to face Tanaka/Pineda/Evoladi/Severino in a short series. But then again if Stroman comes back, I don't think teams want to face Price/Stroman with that offense.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
I think the Jays gave up way too many prospects to just make the playoffs. I may be wrong, but I feel there's a good chance Price & Buehrle leave in the off season. Given the cost of Price - anything short of a World Series will haunt this franchise.

They're not "just trying to make the playoffs". They have Tulo for the next handful of years. Bautista and EE are both returning with their options. Revere is controllable. One trade does not a franchise break. They'll have significant funds cleared up simply due to roster turnover. If it's not Price, you can bet your buttons that they'll bring in a starter through free agency.

Just speaking to you fan to fan here, I don't know how you can have that mentality of WS or bust. It's meaningful baseball. Enjoy it for what it is.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
They're not "just trying to make the playoffs". They have Tulo for the next handful of years. Bautista and EE are both returning with their options. Revere is controllable. One trade does not a franchise break. They'll have significant funds cleared up simply due to roster turnover. If it's not Price, you can bet your buttons that they'll bring in a starter through free agency.

Just speaking to you fan to fan here, I don't know how you can have that mentality of WS or bust. It's meaningful baseball. Enjoy it for what it is.

Maybe you're right - I just don't see the Jays going out and spending 20M+ on a pitcher. The same way I can't see them re-signing both EE & Bautista when their contracts are up - they're not ones to spend that much money (maybe 1, but I can't see both). I think the idea was to go 'all in' this year, and see where it get's us.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Maybe you're right - I just don't see the Jays going out and spending 20M+ on a pitcher. The same way I can't see them re-signing both EE & Bautista when their contracts are up - they're not ones to spend that much money (maybe 1, but I can't see both). I think the idea was to go 'all in' this year, and see where it get's us.

It's been speculated by a bunch here that we move one of Encarnacion or Bautista next year to either get a big arm so that we don't have to "spend 20+m on a pitcher next year" or to recoup some of the assets we spent this year.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site

that's funny you think that when they are paying Buehrle 20 million this year. Given the success this year there should be no reason why the Jays won't be able to compete financially.

Jays are not the small market you think they are....have you seen the tv, attendance, and merchandise numbers? Rogers is rolling in money right now.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015

I don't expect the Jays to do anything, I'm just citing what I would have preferred. Every single team (excluding the Yankees) we play from now to the playoffs will be either .500 (Orioles) or below it (everyone else), as of today. I would much rather have went in playing the Royals, Cards, etc. At least have some strong opponents going in.

The Jays are a much better team than the Raptors relative to the top teams in their respective leagues, but the Raptors got into the playoffs by virtue of a easy schedule/conference. I don't want the Jays to coast into it because they don't have to play as hard only to be swept in the ALDS.

you have to give a lot to get a lot. jays haven't been in the playoffs in a long time and this is the perfect opportunity to do it, battaling an an aging yankee team; even if most the prospects were traded, toronto got great players to help their playoff push, and if they manage to screw up somehow, they can trade those players for young prospects so its all good imo

mikebel111*

This isnt all in. The only all in move was Price. And maybe Lowe but you can always resign Lowe. Tulo will be here for a while. I refuse to believe we gave up too many prospects. Considering where we are with this team, I make the Price move everytime no regrets about it

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
that's funny you think that when they are paying Buehrle 20 million this year. Given the success this year there should be no reason why the Jays won't be able to compete financially.

Jays are not the small market you think they are....have you seen the tv, attendance, and merchandise numbers? Rogers is rolling in money right now.

Paying Buehrle for 3 years is a little different than paying Price 30 mil/yr for 7 or 8 years.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC

Nonsense.

A teams record does not dictate how they will be playing for a given week. I can't stress enough how different baseball is from basketball.

Shwaguy*

Well we have lots of Young Pitching still, but in the Majors. And we didn't trade a single Position player a way. Before they are in the majors Pitching prospects are a ****ing crapshoot. Baseball isn't the same as Hockey is with their prospects.

People say we went all in but we still have a good future. AA ****'s out high level pitching prospects like it's his job (Oh, it is his job)

Osuna and Stroman both have the potential to be legitimate ACEs in this league. Sanchez a #2-#3, and if we don't re-sign Price and Beurhle that's 40 million freed up for FA+ Whatever extra revenue we may make from the playoffs. We'd still sign a top level Pitcher like a Gallardo or someone like that, and our Position players will be more or less the same next year trades pending.

Our window for Victory with this current lineup is about 3 or so years. Bautista and Edwin are the only Bats who may regress due to Age, but they are elite and will likely stay elite (At the plate) until their late 30s.

Add in another year for our two STAR rookies in Osuna and Travis, as well as another year for Stroman and Sanchez, and an MLB ready top flight prospect like Pompey. We have a lot to look forward too this year and next.

The only player I could really see in for a decline is Martin, but even then his Defence will always be elite.

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
How'd that work for the Raptors? I would actually prefer playoff success...

What happened to the Raptors has no bearing on what could happen to the Jays. I would prefer playoff success to, but I don't think that has anything to do with who they play down the stretch.

There's still no guarantee they make it. They could have granted your wish, played top 10 teams and not make it all together. Hence my get there and see what happens. Who they play on the way there for me is irrelevant. Just get to the playoffs first. Worry about part two when you get there.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
Paying Buehrle for 3 years is a little different than paying Price 30 mil/yr for 7 or 8 years.

Add up the money we have been paying Romero, Izturis and add that to Buehrle and we've been paying 30 million basically on Buehrle the past few years. We would simply be investing that money into a significant pitching upgrade. We don't have to find additional funds to afford Price....we simply have to cut the dead weight. Outside of Martin and Tulo (who play the two most important positions in baseball) we don't have any long term commitments.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Let's not forget that if Tulo and Revere are here from day 1 over Colabello and Reyes, we likely aren't a .500 team and in need of a Price to contend. Simply adding a couple mid rotation arms and keeping a solid pen in order should be enough to win next year with the offense mostly intact.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Barry Davis just tweeted that all MLB playoffs games will be on Sportsnet, regardless who's playing. It's still to be determined if it's Buck and Pat calling the games.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
I'm not sure how anyone can compare basketball with other sports. Basketball is an individual sport where one or two guys can carry a team of crap through the playoffs. Baseball is a sport where you need a deep roster and contributions from everyone. There is a reason Trout and Harper don't meet in the world series every year...the top players in baseball don't have anywhere near the impact as the top players in the NBA. Baseball is more like hockey or football if you are going to make a sports analogy.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Add up the money we have been paying Romero, Izturis and add that to Buehrle and we've been paying 30 million basically on Buehrle the past few years. We would simply be investing that money into a significant pitching upgrade. We don't have to find additional funds to afford Price....we simply have to cut the dead weight. Outside of Martin and Tulo (who play the two most important positions in baseball) we don't have any long term commitments.

I made a spreadsheet of the Jays commitments through 2021 with all the new pieces and we're actually in fantastic shape next year with Buehrle, Romero and Izturis off the books and Reyes' deadweight converted into a valuable one.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton

That's not true. By making it we make money and can use that money in the offseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad