Blue Jays Discussion: The "So, How About Them Blue Jays?" Edition. [1.5 Games ahead of Yankees]

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
They really are in quite good shape salary-wise for next year. Kind of funny to say but they are in an enviable position of having some of their worst players making decent money...but in the final year of their contract. Not only that, some of their biggest questions might be able to filled in house (Pompey for the OF, Sanchez/Osuna to the rotation).

- Of course, pretty much everything they do this offseason will depend on the Price situation...hopefully it doesn't drag on so long that it hinders them from making other moves

- You can easily use the money owed to Romero/Izturis/Navarro/Penington to find upgrades.

- Even if Buehrle comes back there is no way he is making anything close to 19M.

- If they pick up Dickey's option it isn't anything more than this year so there wouldn't be any increase there.

- Tulo makes less per year than Reyes (albeit over more years).

- Obviously Donaldson/Martin will eat up a decent amount of the freed up money.

- Estrada will command more to bring back. I would consider it if he doesn't want anything too crazy in terms of either dollars or years. He will probably be looking to cash in though given his age....might be better to let another team make that mistake. However, if his asking price gets out of hand maybe they just plug Sanchez/Osuna into that rotation spot...or they could even see if there are any FA that are similar but can be had for cheaper.

- I would try and bring back Lowe and maybe you can get Hawkins back on a reasonable one year deal (unless he is planning on retiring??).

- Honestly, I would try and bring back pretty much the entire bullpen if possible. That will also depend on what they decide to do with Osuna/Sanchec though.

- I'm thinking they are going to have to choose one of Revere/Saunders going forward. That could be a tough choice...Saunders is probably the better player when healthy but Rever is more durable. For a team that might be on a strict budget I don't know if I would want to take a chance on giving Saunders 4M or whatever he gets given his injury history. I would be more comfortable giving it to someone who you can rely on, even if he might be the inferior player.

- It will be interesting to see how Pompey figures into everything as well.

Indeed. With the offense entirely intact for next year all we have to do is shift money around to keep a good pen and revamp the rotation. This can all be done by reallocating the money coming off the books even if Price isn't retained.

Edit: yeah I just noticed Hutchison too. He's going to be an Arb 1 gut coming off a bad year. ~$2 mil is all he will get.

Last edited:

tml19

Nov 30, 2013
Mississauga, Ontario
They really are in quite good shape salary-wise for next year. Kind of funny to say but they are in an enviable position of having some of their worst players making decent money...but in the final year of their contract. Not only that, some of their biggest questions might be able to filled in house (Pompey for the OF, Sanchez/Osuna to the rotation).

- Of course, pretty much everything they do this offseason will depend on the Price situation...hopefully it doesn't drag on so long that it hinders them from making other moves

- You can easily use the money spent on Romero/Izturis/Navarro/Penington to find upgrades.

- Even if Buehrle comes back there is no way he is making anything close to 19M.

- If they pick up Dickey's option it isn't anything more than this year so there wouldn't be any increase there.

- Tulo makes less per year than Reyes (albeit over more years).

- Obviously Donaldson/Martin will eat up a decent amount of the freed up money.

- Estrada will command more to bring back. I would consider it if he doesn't want anything too crazy in terms of either dollars or years. He will probably be looking to cash in though given his age....might be better to let another team make that mistake. However, if his asking price gets out of hand maybe they just plug Sanchez/Osuna into that rotation spot...or they could even see if there are any FA that are similar but can be had for cheaper.

- I would try and bring back Lowe and maybe you can get Hawkins back on a reasonable one year deal (unless he is planning on retiring??).

- Actually, I would try and bring back pretty much the entire bullpen if possible. That will also depend on what they decide to do with Osuna/Sanchez though.

- I'm thinking they are going to have to choose one of Revere/Saunders going forward. That could be a tough choice...Saunders is probably the better player when healthy but Rever is more durable. For a team that might be on a strict budget I don't know if I would want to take a chance on giving Saunders 4M or whatever he gets given his injury history. I would be more comfortable giving it to someone who you can rely on, even if he might be the inferior player.

- It will be interesting to see how Pompey figures into everything as well.

1. Yes Hawkins is retiring after this season.
2. I would even considering moving both Saunders and Revere. You can then move Pompey to left and keep Pillar in center while saving 8M. Pompey is very similar to Revere and could produce at the same pace as him IMO.
3. With that 8M+ Buehrle salary you have roughly enough to pay Price 30M and not have their payroll rise.
4. If Rogers wants to raise their payroll due to success/profits I would bring back Estrada at 8M or so. I really feel he is the real deal and is a very solid #3.
5. If they can get Kazmir to sign on roughly the same contract as Dickey I do it without thinking twice and move Dickey (pick up option and trade)

Also what is Stroman's contract situation like?

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Just for the record, I liked the Tulo trade. All I have been saying is that he has been struggling and it concerns me. Go back and read my posts and you won't see me saying I would rather have Reyes or how Tulo sucks. He just sucks right now at the plate and it's hard to argue when he is hitting .225. I say the guy has not been clutch and is struggling at the plate and all his cousins come out and start yelling at me that I'm wrong. Just weird.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
1. Yes Hawkins is retiring after this season.
2. I would even considering moving both Saunders and Revere. You can then move Pompey to left and keep Pillar in center while saving 8M. Pompey is very similar to Revere and could produce at the same pace as him IMO.
3. With that 8M+ Buehrle salary you have roughly enough to pay Price 30M and not have their payroll rise.
4. If Rogers wants to raise their payroll due to success/profits I would bring back Estrada at 8M or so. I really feel he is the real deal and is a very solid #3.
5. If they can get Kazmir to sign on roughly the same contract as Dickey I do it without thinking twice and move Dickey (pick up option and trade)

Also what is Stroman's contract situation like?

You think Pompey can hit .300 in the majors and lead the league in hits? That's impressive

mikebel111*

Just for the record, I liked the Tulo trade. All I have been saying is that he has been struggling and it concerns me. Go back and read my posts and you won't see me saying I would rather have Reyes or how Tulo sucks. He just sucks right now at the plate and it's hard to argue when he is hitting .225. I say the guy has not been clutch and is struggling at the plate and all his cousins come out and start yelling at me that I'm wrong. Just weird.

Thats all fine to suggest he is struggling. However when you say "Tulo being Tulo", that means your just plain on bashing the guy. Also how can you not say he is hitting the ball lately? Like that line drive today, like how can you in your right mind blame Tulo for that. He has great contact but it was right at the fielder. What do you do? Tulo is having better contact lately and luck should find his way soon.
Also stop with the name calling "cousins" "dad" etc... Its hard to take you seriously when you do that. If anything it makes you seem insecure about your own position.

So stop with that, its wierd

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Thats all fine to suggest he is struggling. However when you say "Tulo being Tulo", that means your just plain on bashing the guy. Also how can you not say he is hitting the ball lately? Like that line drive today, like how can you in your right mind blame Tulo for that. He has great contact but it was right at the fielder. What do you do? Tulo is having better contact lately and luck should find his way soon.
Also stop with the name calling "cousins" "dad" etc... Its hard to take you seriously when you do that. If anything it makes you seem insecure about your own position.

So stop with that, its wierd

I thought I was on ignore? As a fan of the team for 40 years, I've earned the right to voice my frustrations. I expect a guy making his salary to hit better. We all expect him to hit better. But I think part of it is where he is at in the order. Put him at 5 behind EE. Revere has looked good lately and has been getting on base. Takes pressure off Tulo and moves Smoak or Cola or Martin down to 6.

mikebel111*

I thought I was on ignore? As a fan of the team for 40 years, I've earned the right to voice my frustrations. I expect a guy making his salary to hit better. We all expect him to hit better. But I think part of it is where he is at in the order. Put him at 5 behind EE. Revere has looked good lately and has been getting on base. Takes pressure off Tulo and moves Smoak or Cola or Martin down to 6.

Meh. I dont put people on ignore unless they talk 100% nonsense. Some of your points are valid. Honestly Tulo probably should be hitting #5, however we are 21-5 with him leading off, so why change whats working. Plus despite his unlucky stretch, who do you want in a clutch situation? Easily Tulo. He would get the most AB and again he is one of our best hitters. If we start losing sure but right now you hope Tulo good contact starts falling for hits. I am not worried about it. Tulo will be fine

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Meh. I dont put people on ignore unless they talk 100% nonsense. Some of your points are valid. Honestly Tulo probably should be hitting #5, however we are 21-5 with him leading off, so why change whats working. Plus despite his unlucky stretch, who do you want in a clutch situation? Easily Tulo. He would get the most AB and again he is one of our best hitters. If we start losing sure but right now you hope Tulo good contact starts falling for hits. I am not worried about it. Tulo will be fine

Fair enough, I'm just frustrated. And I am worried about it. Hopefully he shuts me up.

mikebel111*

Fair enough, I'm just frustrated. And I am worried about it. Hopefully he shuts me up.

Thats fine. Its bad he is in a slump but there is nothing we can do but hope he figures it out. I see signs he is coming out of it though.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
And gives tulo, an elite bat, less at bats. Late in a game, like today, when the lineup flips over, you'd rather have Revere up to bat over Tulo? Leadoff is once a game and conventional stats suggest you want your best hitters getting more at bats, not less. People need to relax with Tulo, he's a career .800+ ops hitter and when he starts hitting, people will praise Gibbons for leaving him hitting 1st.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Did someone say batting #1 is the most sheltered part of the lineup?

Is that why Tulo is seeing the lowest zone% of his career (small sample be damned)?

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

bret hendricks of hendricks sports management said in an interview thursday that no formal grievance has yet been filed, and also made clear that tolleson continues to work toward a return to the field.

He was responding to a comment made wednesday by blue jays gm alex anthopoulos, who told reporters, "steve tolleson just decided he didn’t want to play anymore," as part of a larger answer about how the injury to devon travis led to the acquisition of cliff pennington.

Anthopoulos declined to comment further on the matter thursday.

"obviously i thought it was an unfortunate comment to make," said hendricks. "if the question is did steve tolleson decide not to play, then absolutely not. He’s working to get back on the field as fast as he possibly can. He’s put in a lot of blood, sweat and tears.

"it’s been a long road to this point, he’s hoping to get on the field before the end of the season if his body co-operates."

the blue jays designated tolleson for assignment july 1, the day after his rehabilitation assignment from a groin injury expired, with the intention of outrighting him to triple-a buffalo. The previous night he went 1-for-3 against gwinnett, the second straight night he appeared in a rehab game.

At issue is whether he was ready to return from his groin injury at the time he was designated. If still injured, then that isn’t allowed under rules of the collective bargaining agreement while a player is on the big-league disabled list, which tolleson was.

The blue jays placed him on the temporarily inactive list july 7, which allows teams to not pay players, but his salary was reinstated shortly after when he reported a hamstring injury, as well.

The matter "is currently subject to a collective bargaining process that allows the union to discuss this with the commissioner’s office," said hendricks. "the union has investigated the situation regarding his designation."

tolleson batted .268/.333/.439 in 19 games with the blue jays this season.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I'm calling a series win against Detroit. The pitchers they're sending to the mound are such trash. We miss Verlander and Sanchez and get the back end of their rotation. No way they don't take at least 2/3 from that.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
I'm calling a series win against Detroit. The pitchers they're sending to the mound are such trash. We miss Verlander and Sanchez and get the back end of their rotation. No way they don't take at least 2/3 from that.

Friday - Matt Boyd - 1-4 with a 7.04 ERA and a 1.63 WHIP.

Saturday - Buck Farmer. 0-2 with a 7.80 ERA and a 1.73 WHIP.

Sunday - Alfredo Simon 11-8 with a 4.89 ERA and a 1.43 WHIP.

Yikes!!!

Sportsnet should consider copyrighting the phrase "Viewer discretion is advised" for the weekend.

jcollins

BJ Elitist/Hipster
May 13, 2009
70w394.jpg

I figured this could get some more Jays talk going by looking forward to the salary structure of the team going forward to those wondering.

I am sure I missed some guys on the 40 man but they shouldn't amount to much in terms of dollar value.

Aren't guys like Cecil, smoak and Saunders Arbitration eligible next year? I didn't think we knew their salaries

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
No way Donaldson gets $12M unless its the first year of an extension

I'd be stunned if he cracks $10M

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
No way Donaldson gets $12M unless its the first year of an extension

I'd be stunned if he cracks $10M

He's going to get close to 10, probably in the 7-9 range. Wouldn't be surprised at all if he got 10, Jays would be smart just to lock him up long term and buy out his carb years and a few free agent years.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
By the way part of the David Price interview in SN Magazine, Price says he would come back.

Exact quote "It’s been awesome being here. I would definitely come back here if everything worked out the way we envisioned it.

If the Jays go on a long playoff run and Rogers opens up the vault and can come close or hit what he's asking for, he'll be back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad