Player Discussion The Slaf Thread - Parabolic Growth Edition

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012

So our first overall pick is having medical procedures done then rushing off to play an international tournament?

Seems like a bad idea.

He was playing with an injury towards the end of the season, so its likely related to that. Could be just the habs medical team doing a check up to see where his recovery is at and if he's healthy to play at worlds.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
I agree with Suzuki.

received_456566300231689.jpeg

90-100 pts potential for sure.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
None of our top line guys possess bonafide elite potential, but the overlap of them getting to play and grow together gives them their best chance at become PPG+ players. I keep watching JT Miller and I wonder if Slaf can get to that level.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
He was playing with an injury towards the end of the season, so its likely related to that. Could be just the habs medical team doing a check up to see where his recovery is at and if he's healthy to play at worlds.
Pretty sure this is standard for any team sending players over to that tournament. We’re only hearing about it because it’s Montreal and everything needs to be a story.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Final update:

From October 2022 to November 13 2023
12 points in 54 games = pace of 18 points per 82 games

From November 14 2023 to January 15 2024
13 points in 27 games = pace of 40 points per 82 games

From January 16 2024 to March 8 2024
16 points in 21 games = pace of 62 points per 82 games

From March 9 2024 to April 16 2024
19 points in 19 games = pace of 82 points per 82 games

None of our top line guys possess bonafide elite potential, but the overlap of them getting to play and grow together gives them their best chance at become PPG+ players. I keep watching JT Miller and I wonder if Slaf can get to that level.

To put that second half performance in context for Suzuki and Slafkovsky,

IF THEY WERE TO MAINTAIN THAT PACE IN THEIR CAREERS,

Suzuki would have the HIGHEST ppg in the last 30 years on this team, and Slafkovsky would be 4th.

1. Suzuki 1.10
2. Recchi 0.91
3. Damphousse 0.89
4. Slafkovsky 0.88
5. Kovalev 0.84
6. Koivu 0.81

would be the only players over 0.77 ppg from 1995 to 2024 (120 GP or more)

Will they be able to do this consistently and not just for 40 games? I think the chances are good.

Last edited:

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

So our first overall pick is having medical procedures done then rushing off to play an international tournament?

Seems like a bad idea.

The Slovakian government was visiting him in Montreal during the season.

I'm pretty sure this guy will be playing for Slovakia every single chance he gets and that's just a reality we have to deal with.

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
The Slovakian government was visiting him in Montreal during the season.

I'm pretty sure this guy will be playing for Slovakia every single chance he gets and that's just a reality we have to deal with.

Thankfully, aside from the odd first round hiccup following multiple deep runs, Slaf won’t be available for 14 of the next 17 World Championships

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I don't know what you mean, I have neverseen any info about such visit.

I think it was on a broadcast.

At any rate, the guy is a budding star for a small nation who breathes hockey and got them a third place finish at the Olympics.

He's going to be committed to his national team and I don't think there's anything the Canadiens can do - or should - to prevent him from playing for them unless he's too injured to play or we're in the playoffs.

Reactions: cphabs

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Of course they have elite potential

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Yeah I'm just saying none of them are in a Crosby/McDavid class of expectations. They all are very talented, and maybe this is a hot take, but each of those three Habs have 100pt capability. I just think a lot has to happen for that to be reality for even one of them.
An improved PP. Natural progression plus a whole year of playing together will do wonders for their stats. Better D as well will help.

I think the 3 can hover around the 100 point margin easily. Whether they break that barrier or not I think is a decent possibility. I feel confident Slaf will.

I think Slaf has an outside chance at being in that elite circle. If not quite McCrosby level but who knows how close he can get. He’s got tons of raw tools and seems to possess an uncanny ability to learn plus a shit ton of drive

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
An improved PP. Natural progression plus a whole year of playing together will do wonders for their stats. Better D as well will help.

I think the 3 can hover around the 100 point margin easily. Whether they break that barrier or not I think is a decent possibility. I feel confident Slaf will.

I think Slaf has an outside chance at being in that elite circle. If not quite McCrosby level but who knows how close he can get. He’s got tons of raw tools and seems to possess an uncanny ability to learn plus a shit ton of drive
Yeah in terms of peak Slafkovsky could reach the top of the league. But the difference between him and a McCrosby is that the latter does it from the start. It will take Slaf longer to reach his top form

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
And is probably going to be paid like one.

R.I.P Mr. Molson's pocket book.
Be great if they can get him signed to a long term deal similar to CC/Suzuki...

All three signed for the next 6 seasons at a combined <24M would be amazing for our cap situation as we push into contention over next 2-3 seasons. Would set us up to have the cheapest "first line" (top 3 fwds) of any playoff team right now, let alone in 3-4 years from now.

• Love
Reactions: River Meadow

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Slaf progression curve is insane. His developpment curve is almost vertical lol. But as fan we need to chill out with many prospect we have…. I read many posters like, « harris is becoming a top 4 dman, struble too ». « Heineman, Ylonen a top 9 winger… ». We can dream, but Slaf is the exception, not the rules. After 22/23 years old, most of the time is what you see, what you get

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Slaf progression curve is insane. His developpment curve is almost vertical lol. But as fan we need to chill out with many prospect we have…. I read many posters like, « harris is becoming a top 4 dman, struble too ». « Heineman, Ylonen a top 9 winger… ». We can dream, but Slaf is the exception, not the rules. After 22/23 years old, most of the time is what you see, what you get
We have been cursed with a lot of bad luck and bad outcomes with other prospects but with Slafkovsky, if he is the exception and he will continue his growth trajectory, it will be truly amazing.

When people say luck plays a factor in winning the Cup, this is the sort of luck that is unheralded but just as important as lucky bounces. A 1OA who starts poorly, gets injured, starts the next season even worse and then just takes off... that's amazing. He's played very well and he will be a force in the league if he keeps up the pace and growth.

• Haha
Reactions: Redux91

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Yeah I'm just saying none of them are in a Crosby/McDavid class of expectations. They all are very talented, and maybe this is a hot take, but each of those three Habs have 100pt capability. I just think a lot has to happen for that to be reality for even one of them.
I honestly don't think these players have 100-point capability, TBH, unless they play with another line ahead them that has 120-point capability and St-Louis plays two lines 25 minutes a night,including Uptime, and the other two lines a combined 10-minute total.

PPG players, yes and, if both lines on your top-6 come close to that, it's good enough to challenge for a Cup. Rather that than the Maple Leaf model.

Reactions: barbu

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Be great if they can get him signed to a long term deal similar to CC/Suzuki...

All three signed for the next 6 seasons at a combined <24M would be amazing for our cap situation as we push into contention over next 2-3 seasons. Would set us up to have the cheapest "first line" (top 3 fwds) of any playoff team right now, let alone in 3-4 years from now.
It's important that those three aren't signed for more than a 24M total, considering that our best four will likely cost us around 30M if things develop there best.

Going from an expected 95M Cap ceiling, that leaves 41M for 16 players, or an average of 2.565M per player, which honestly isn't as much as it might seem you are looking for talented depth. Just 18M spent on a 2nd line drops that average to 1,76M for the remaining 13 players to fill out your roster past a top-4 D and a top-6 Forward core, and we haven't even spoken about a G situation that should chime in around 8M, at best, leaving 1.35M per head for the remaining 11 players needed.

Hughes will seriously need handle the Cap situation with a keen eye if he wants keep a talented team together.

The BIGGEST mistake since Bettman took over is imagining hockey like it was the NBA, with only 5 players earning the bulk of the total Cap.It's too much of a teams port to look at managing the Cap that way.

Reactions: _vivelequebec_

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Would be a good move to see if Slaf would take Caufield's contract extension this summer.

I would gamble on Guhle and have him play out the season. Unless he would take $6M x8.

We have been cursed with a lot of bad luck and bad outcomes with other prospects but with Slafkovsky, if he is the exception and he will continue his growth trajectory, it will be truly amazing.

When people say luck plays a factor in winning the Cup, this is the sort of luck that is unheralded but just as important as lucky bounces. A 1OA who starts poorly, gets injured, starts the next season even worse and then just takes off... that's amazing. He's played very well and he will be a force in the league if he keeps up the pace and growth.

He played very well once maturity/trust came and MSL stuck him with Suzuki. Next season, hopefully we get less injuries again and we have both Suzuki and Dach full time at center.

Very curious to see who we draft, who we trade for, and what our top 6 and top 9 forward group rounds out at.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It's important that those three aren't signed for more than a 24M total, considering that our best four will likely cost us around 30M if things develop there best.

Going from an expected 95M Cap ceiling, that leaves 41M for 16 players, or an average of 2.565M per player, which honestly isn't as much as it might seem you are looking for talented depth. Just 18M spent on a 2nd line drops that average to 1,76M for the remaining 13 players to fill out your roster past a top-4 D and a top-6 Forward core, and we haven't even spoken about a G situation that should chime in around 8M, at best, leaving 1.35M per head for the remaining 11 players needed.

Hughes will seriously need handle the Cap situation with a keen eye if he wants keep a talented team together.

The BIGGEST mistake since Bettman took over is imagining hockey like it was the NBA, with only 5 players earning the bulk of the total Cap.It's too much of a teams port to look at managing the Cap that way.

This is why prolonging your draft power through the transition years is important. Inserting more guys on ELC/bridge deals as time moves forward is key.

Reactions: 417

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Why would he do that instead of wait to play his remaining year and show he can do even more and get a bigger paycheck?

Because maybe nobody knows his ceiling level and he likes the guaranteed money now. Could get injured and/or have another season just like the last one with not much growth?

Come on guys. We all like his development in the 2nd half but his usage was very high with Suzuki and we have to pump the breaks on Slaf being a sure shot star type narrative.

It's not impossible that he won't consider the Caufield extension this summer.

Reactions: waitin425

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad