OT: The Semi-Annual, Taste Optional Music Thread: Post Your Mid-Winter Blues Music

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
Happy St Pats Day fellows, time for some Celtic Metal!

Eluveitie are actually Swiss but they lean into the Celtic pretty heavy. They include traditional folk instruments and actually use reconstructed Gaulish for lyrics at times. Straight up dorks.

"Oh yeah, I'm in a metal band..."
"Cool! What instrument?"
"Tin whistle and hurdy-gurdy!"

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I posted the Khruangbin & Leon Bridges album previously, but I guess that disappeared due to the board migration. Anyway, I need to take a trip to somewhere other than WV or VA and see that Khruangbin are playing in Cincinnati and Asheville the same weekend. Both places are beer cities so I think I just need to choose one to go to.

It'll probably just come down to whichever city has the cheapest Marriott for me to stay in.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

May 17, 2009
Maine
I looked at catching them (Khruangbin) here in Miami. It's gonna be like $100 by the time I'm over there and parked. I think there are $15 tickets in Ashville. Good band that seems to have popped up on my spotify due to Bonobo's Migrations being on heavy rotation.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Recent one from Wiki and Earl.

Wiki was in RATKING. Saw them open for Death Grips (Altar Bar). They blew me away. Miss DJ Sporting Life.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I saw the Cocteau Twins at Metropol in 1995 or 1996. They did Pink Orange Red in the encore and damn does Elizabeth have some pipes.

EDIT: Perhaps Metropol is no longer there. So for those who weren't around then, it was a club in the Strip District.
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Yeah Metropol closed in 2003. I've never actually never been there. Been to Club Laga in Oakland, though. Saw the Wu-Tang Clan. That place must've been closed almost as long.

May 17, 2009
Maine
Yeah Metropol closed in 2003. I've never actually never been there. Been to Club Laga in Oakland, though. Saw the Wu-Tang Clan. That place must've been closed almost as long.
Is Club Laga the one that is on like the eighth floor walk-up, past the little grocery store that used to be The Upstage?

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I saw the Cocteau Twins at Metropol in 1995 or 1996. They did Pink Orange Red in the encore and damn does Elizabeth have some pipes.

EDIT: Perhaps Metropol is no longer there. So for those who weren't around then, it was a club in the Strip District.

I date even older. I saw many concerts in the 80s at the Fulton and Stanley theatres lol

Reactions: 66871

May 17, 2009
Maine
It was a walk up, that's all I remember. It was my first show ever. And the group was like three hours late, lol.
Yeah, that's it. Had a caged bar for the over 21 set. I saw a few shows there...Stereolab, Trans Am, Antibalas. I saw Miracle Legion at the grocery store Upstage (when the upstage still had a stage). That was a great show and the funniest bit was there were people playing pool in the back during the entire show and at the end the lead singer goes "Thanks to all the pool players in the back. You're the best pool player crowd we've ever had."

Reactions: tom_servo

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I saw Devo at the Stanley (caught an energy dome that they threw into the crowd) and saw the Romantics at the Fulton.
Nice. In the early 80s I saw the Grateful Dead at the Stanley a few times, Talking Heads too, and in ‘86 I saw The Smiths in The Queen is Dead tour at the Fulton. I saw The Clash and King Crimson at CMU believe it or not in ‘82 I think.

May 17, 2009
Maine
Nice. In the early 80s I saw the Grateful Dead at the Stanley a few times, Talking Heads too, and in ‘86 I saw The Smiths in The Queen is Dead tour at the Fulton. I saw The Clash and King Crimson at CMU believe it or not in ‘82 I think.
I was at that Smiths show. So I have the Fulton mixed up. The Romantics were in a bar down the street which would eventually be different bar in the same space called Heaven. I can't remember the name of it for when the Romantics played there (terrible venue, BTW). Yeah CMU used to have some good shows.

EDIT: Thinking about it, I'm almost certain I spent all night on the sidewalk outside Heads Together in Squirrel Hill to buy tickets for The Smiths. That show...ended with some folks from the front rows sitting on the stage after a stage rush. At one point I looked up and my friend had her arms around Morrissey's neck as he swung her around. Good times.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I was at that Smiths show. So I have the Fulton mixed up. The Romantics were in a bar down the street which would eventually be different bar in the same space called Heaven. I can't remember the name of it for when the Romantics played there (terrible venue, BTW). Yeah CMU used to have some good shows.

EDIT: Thinking about it, I'm almost certain I spent all night on the sidewalk outside Heads Together in Squirrel Hill to buy tickets for The Smiths. That show...ended with some folks from the front rows sitting on the stage after a stage rush. At one point I looked up and my friend had her arms around Morrissey's neck as he swung her around. Good times.
that’s so funny that you were there too. I went with my brother. Don’t remember the stage rush…we were closer to the back of the orchestra. I grew up in Squirrel Hill so I pretty much did everything at Heads Together lol

Reactions: 66871

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Crimson in 82 must’ve been a great tour. Aside from Fripp having the personality of a toad.

Reactions: 66871 and Andy99

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad