The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

zenthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
You can’t rely on 22-23 being the true reflection of this team just as 23-24 wasn’t either. Ruff’s arrival will be a major factor in how the team performs but they’ve got the highs and lows both in them

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Assuming the team bounces back, we were already much better than the teams around us.
They have done nothing to this point to prove it. The Dallas Cowboys always look good on paper and are usually heavy betting favorites but haven't gwon a divisional playoff game since the mid 90s.

You can’t rely on 22-23 being the true reflection of this team just as 23-24 wasn’t either. Ruff’s arrival will be a major factor in how the team performs but they’ve got the highs and lows both in them
I personally don't put as much into Ruff as so many of you do. I think you guys are highly over valuing him.

This team taking it to the next level is on the team more than the coach.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
They have done nothing to this point to prove it. The Dallas Cowboys always look good on paper and are usually heavy betting favorites but haven't gwon a divisional playoff game since the mid 90s.

I personally don't put as much into Ruff as so many of you do. I think you guys are highly over valuing him.

This had absolutely no relevance to my comment. They are playoff chokers who play excellent in the regular season. The Sabres core was so bad last year, we all should be betting on improvements from Thompson Tuch and Cozens.

Granato cost us a lot of points with poor coaching and habits. Ruff can reverse that for sure.

The NHL is FULL of teams replacing coaches to get better results. Look at EDM, they were a laughingstock at the start of the season. Coaches are huge in today's NHL. Psyches are too fragile and can't handle one person yelling at them for over 3 years.

Reactions: Hasekperreault23

zenthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009

I don’t mean to imply he’ll be a dynamo, just that he’s going to ask them to do different things. That effect could be significant whether positive or negative

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
This had absolutely no relevance to my comment. They are playoff chokers who play excellent in the regular season. The Sabres core was so bad last year, we all should be betting on improvements from Thompson Tuch and Cozens.

Granato cost us a lot of points with poor coaching and habits. Ruff can reverse that for sure.

The NHL is FULL of teams replacing coaches to get better results. Look at EDM, they were a laughingstock at the start of the season. Coaches are huge in today's NHL. Psyches are too fragile and can't handle one person yelling at them for over 3 years.
It's actually does have relevance, tons of relevance. As I was saying it's not about their performance but how they are always rated higher then they perform because on paper it says they are good.

It's the perfect example of what you have been saying the last two pages. You view this team better than the other teams around us simply by looking at the team on paper.

Sure maybe Granato cost them some points but I missed the part where he laced the skates up and directly went out there, got lit up and came off the ice -3 while generating 1 shot; then going to the locker room and saying he would have done better if someone held him accountable.

Last season everyone didn't play their part, management failed to put the proper players in place, coaches failed to hold the players accountable and the players forgot to show up most nights thinking they were better then the NHL when they proved nothing thus far.

Can Ruff change that? Sure accountability with the players but he can't change how the players play over night. If the players mentalities are so fragile there is nothing he can do about that either except hire a psychiatrist for them.

TLDR: Paper doesn't play the sport for you.

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Wonder what we could get paid to bail out Edmonton using retention?

Joki at 50% retained ($1.55M/1 year)
for
Kulak ($2.75M/2 years)
???

Edmonton gets $1.2M in cap breathing room and an expiring contract with Draisaitl needing a deal next summer. They could hold the two at-risk players with this and Kane LTIR. We get more experienced and a lefty to balance the bottom pair (and maybe the more well-balanced player).

Reactions: Zman5778

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Wonder what we could get paid to bail out Edmonton using retention?

Joki at 50% retained ($1.55M/1 year)
for
Kulak ($2.75M/2 years)
???

Edmonton gets $1.2M in cap breathing room and an expiring contract with Draisaitl needing a deal next summer. They could hold the two at-risk players with this and Kane LTIR. We get more experienced and a lefty to balance the bottom pair (and maybe the more well-balanced player).
We need to trade Clifton too. We don't want any RHD on the team.

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020
If the Brooooonz acquired McDavid and Sebastian Aho tomorrow it wouldn't affect us in the slightest because they are already as far away from us as Earth is to the sun. Ottawa on the other hand is a competitor to getting the only open playoff spot that will be available.
Ulmark on sens <<<<<<< ulmark in bruins

Just wait and see how much worse he looks when he’s not on Boston.

He is a decent goalie, but his stats and performance were heavily influenced by the team he played on

Reactions: Jacob582

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Ulmark on sens <<<<<<< ulmark in bruins

Just wait and see how much worse he looks when he’s not on Boston.

He is a decent goalie, but his stats and performance were heavily influenced by the team he played on

It’s very likely that he’ll be better than everyone who was minding the net in Ottawa last year. He doesn’t have to be Vezina contention good for them to help the Sens out.

Nikolajs Sillers

Jan 2, 2021
If the Brooooonz acquired McDavid and Sebastian Aho tomorrow it wouldn't affect us in the slightest because they are already as far away from us as Earth is to the sun. Ottawa on the other hand is a competitor to getting the only open playoff spot that will be available.
That was my post about.

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
It's actually does have relevance, tons of relevance. As I was saying it's not about their performance but how they are always rated higher then they perform because on paper it says they are good.

It's the perfect example of what you have been saying the last two pages. You view this team better than the other teams around us simply by looking at the team on paper.

Sure maybe Granato cost them some points but I missed the part where he laced the skates up and directly went out there, got lit up and came off the ice -3 while generating 1 shot; then going to the locker room and saying he would have done better if someone held him accountable.

Last season everyone didn't play their part, management failed to put the proper players in place, coaches failed to hold the players accountable and the players forgot to show up most nights thinking they were better then the NHL when they proved nothing thus far.

Can Ruff change that? Sure accountability with the players but he can't change how the players play over night. If the players mentalities are so fragile there is nothing he can do about that either except hire a psychiatrist for them.

TLDR: Paper doesn't play the sport for you.
I agree with you but I think Ruff will upgrade the PP and PK significantly and also play a structured 2 way game which should be good for 12 points just on that alone.Add the fact our top players had down years and bottom 6 was upgraded significantly it should be interesting how Buffalo places this year

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
This could be a 7-8th seed playoff team but that could easily be derailed by injuries or bad play.

This team should have gotten better through trades.

Adams put it out there he was open for trades to improve the top 6 and completely failed.

Last edited:

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015
This could be a 7-8th seed playoff team but that could easily be detailed by injuries or bad play.

Adams put it out there he was open for trades to improve the top 6 and completely failed.
It takes two to tango and if teams aren’t playing fair value than there isn’t much you can really do. We had to trade a top prospect just to get a decent potentially good 3C.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

I cracked up when they talked about how they are so tired of people talking about the Sabres spending. And if you want to bring up the Sabres internal budget, you should name the player that has moved this offseason that the Sabres should have added and explain how the Sabres would have outbid the team that got him.

This could be a 7-8th seed playoff team but that could easily be detailed by injuries or bad play.

You might want to give that podcast to listen for a perspective on that.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix

Who are you removing out of the top 9 to fit a top 6 forward in.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN

So all the other GM's failed too? There wasn't a top 6 forward moved via trade, unless you want to deal with the roller coaster that is Dubois. Not sure what you want Adams to do, he has assembled a much better team within the current climate of FA and the trade market.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
So all the other GM's failed too? There wasn't a top 6 forward moved via trade, unless you want to deal with the roller coaster that is Dubois. Not sure what you want Adams to do, he has assembled a much better team within the current climate of FA and the trade market.
Is that how Adams keeps his job? By pointing his finger at everyone else and say they didnt do it either!

I don't think that excuse has saved a GM yet.

It takes two to tango and if teams aren’t playing fair value than there isn’t much you can really do. We had to trade a top prospect just to get a decent potentially good 3C.
I don't think that excuse has saved a GM from the chopping block yet but there is always a first since its Buffalo

In April y'all will be saying what I am saying or when they miss the playoffs for 14 years you will still be claiming the tango thing?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad