Sony PS5 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
The disc version of ps5 pro looks like it may be over $1000 Canadian. It's never been more over for videogames.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Do that many people really care about sharper background details? This is targeted at the extreme enthusiasts who obsess over Digital Foundry videos. I really don't care and I'm sure most feel the same.

The irony of this being debuted right when Astro Bot has all this success for taking a cue from Nintendo and just being a back to basics fun to play game.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
The rumor for the Switch 2 is like $400 or something.

Also, this is not the normal console. Not everyone is getting the PS5 Pro. The PS4 Pro was only like 13% of all PS4 owners, so not that large.
The PS4 Pro was not a bad deal if you traded in a PS4 at Gamestop. You only paid something like an extra $100. That's not happening with the PS5 Pro.

Reactions: Forgotusername

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I think people are being a bit dramatic over the price. A $400 CAD differential in exchange for a (claimed) 1.45x gain in GPU performance, 2-3x faster RT performance, access to AI upscaling, and 1.2TB extra storage doesn't sound that crazy to me. But I'm from the PC space where higher prices for GPU upgrades have been a thing since 2018.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I think people are being a bit dramatic over the price. A $400 CAD differential in exchange for a (claimed) 1.45x gain in GPU performance, 2-3x faster RT performance, access to AI upscaling, and 1.2TB extra storage doesn't sound that crazy to me. But I'm from the PC space where higher prices for GPU upgrades have been a thing since 2018.
But you have to pay extra to get a disc drive which used to be the standard.

And the stand itself.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
The PC offers the possibility of drop in upgrades that dramatically increases performance without having to overhaul the whole system.

PC games also offer vastly different experiences depending on your hardware. Most developers won't create custom PS5 Pro experiences. They will try to appeal to the biggest user base and thus limit themselves to the lowest common denominator: the regular PS5. I mean, we still have many games that are coming out for the PS4 so the regular PS5 is not always being pushed as far as it could.

Reactions: KapG and Beau Knows

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
But you have to pay extra to get a disc drive which used to be the standard.

And the stand itself.
PS5 slim doesn't come with the disc drive or stand either which is what I was comparing it to price-wise.
The PC offers the possibility of drop in upgrades that dramatically increases performance without having to overhaul the whole system.

PC games also offer vastly different experiences depending on your hardware. Most developers won't create custom PS5 Pro experiences. They will try to appeal to the biggest user base and thus limit themselves to the lowest common denominator: the regular PS5. I mean, we still have many games that are coming out for the PS4 so the regular PS5 is not always being pushed as far as it could.
Yeah I agree, this probably isn't worth upgrading to for people who already own a base PS5. But I think it's a good option to have for people who want a better experience than base PS5 but don't want to switch to PC gaming for whatever reason.

I'd argue the PS5 is already being pushed to it's limits in a lot of games, especially in performance modes. Look at Black Myth Wukong, that game would benefit a ton from a more powerful GPU. Same with FF16 and FF7R, with the latter already being confirmed for an update. FSR2 is being abused to reach playable frame rates on console right now with render resolutions reaching as low as 720p in some games. The Pro seems to solve that problem.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Yea I think it's reasonable if you're somebody who just really doesn't want to spend the extra couple hundred to set up a PC. Though if I bought this thing and still wasn't getting 60 FPS in "graphics mode" or whatever I'd sell it and immediately Google "pcpartpicker."

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
The other thing is, if I'm spending $700+ ($800+ with taxes after getting the disc add on), I might as well put it towards the new PC I want to make. Shit, that will be half the price of the 5090, and that's what I'm buying.

If I didn't spend some money recently to help my significant other, I MAY have gotten this, but meh...

Plus, 90% of all playing time on my PS5 are just NHL EASHL matches, aka, I barely play my PS5 for anything worthwhile. I think it's because I know the games will eventually come to PC.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
The other thing is, if I'm spending $700+ ($800+ with taxes after getting the disc add on), I might as well put it towards the new PC I want to make. Shit, that will be half the price of the 5090, and that's what I'm buying.

If I didn't spend some money recently to help my significant other, I MAY have gotten this, but meh...

Plus, 90% of all playing time on my PS5 are just NHL EASHL matches, aka, I barely play my PS5 for anything worthwhile. I think it's because I know the games will eventually come to PC.
I'm curious about it but will hold off most likely. It's this vs a new GPU (curious about how the 5080 tests out) vs Switch 2.

The main thing I'm concerned about is how GTA VI will run on a base PS5, and the fact GTA VI probably won't come out immediately for PC.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Yea I think it's reasonable if you're somebody who just really doesn't want to spend the extra couple hundred to set up a PC. Though if I bought this thing and still wasn't getting 60 FPS in "graphics mode" or whatever I'd sell it and immediately Google "pcpartpicker."
It definitely won't get 60 FPS in every game, the Pro has basically the same CPU as the base model.

Sony listed Dragon's Dogma 2 as one of the Pro enhanced titles which is one of the most CPU heavy games out right now. I'm interested in seeing how it performs but I can't imagine it will be 60 FPS.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
They should totally release the game unfinished! Or make the developers work 8 days a week!

They did it with GTA V and did it with RDR2, and both of those games came out with massive crunch periods. They did the same thing. Wait a full year before releasing a PC version. You know, actually, traceable history :). Also, with consoles and PCs running under the x86 architecture, it does not take a full extra year to port to PC.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
A day later, having digested this whole thing...

...It's still really f***ing dumb and Sony should eat shit for it. Hilarious after their one game this year comes out to critical acclaim and they reload that shotgun pointed at their foot again.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
They did it with GTA V and did it with RDR2, and both of those games came out with massive crunch periods. They did the same thing. Wait a full year before releasing a PC version. You know, actually, traceable history :). Also, with consoles and PCs running under the x86 architecture, it does not take a full extra year to port to PC.
I know, the crunch was heavily publicized and received negative publicity. So let's do the wrong thing again because first world problems? I'd rather they finish the game on time without punishing their staff. I'm in no hurry to play it.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I know, the crunch was heavily publicized and received negative publicity. So let's do the wrong thing again because first world problems? I'd rather they finish the game on time without punishing their staff. I'm in no hurry to play it.

Or you know, they know that they will get a ton of extra money for having people double dip :).

Nor did I ever say that I want them to crunch, because thank god that seems to be done with. To imply that I meant for them to crunch is shit. But straddling the PC market and console market again is just being greedy.

Those are completely reasonable questions

Yep, especially when we know it will show up on PC in the end, to make it a year later is getting people to double dip because they know they can.

And for the console thing, I do have a PS5, Switch and PC. But you know...

Last edited:
Reactions: Beau Knows

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Or you know, they know that they will get a ton of extra money for having people double dip :).

Nor did I ever say that I want them to crunch, because thank god that seems to be done with. To imply that I meant for them to crunch is shit. But straddling the PC market and console market again is just being greedy.
100.gif

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
The reason i still buy consoles is because i still like to own physical media to actually own my games whenever possible. I know we are heading to an all digital future so i am just enjoying the ride while i can.

Reactions: Forgotusername

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad