The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
Both Tuch and Quinn can't make it through a full season Zucker is cooked. It's a huge hole and if this team faces injuries then throw another season in the garbage

And sure every team faces injuries but Thompson, Tuch and Quinn were all injured last year and Adams has no plan B.
Quinn played 75 games in 22-23, seems like he made it pretty close to a full season.

Tuch has only missed considerable time in 19-20 and 21-22.

This idea that guys are fragile because they miss 5 - 7 games is absurd. Tons of players get banged up and miss a game here and there, and few teams have suitable replacements for their top players when they do miss time.

Weren't you pining for Ehlers not long ago? A guy who has missed a ton of games the past several seasons due to injury. More than Tuch has by the way.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Quinn played 75 games in 22-23, seems like he made it pretty close to a full season.

This idea that guys are fragile because they miss 5 - 7 games is absurd. Tons of players get banged up and miss a game here and there, and few teams have suitable replacements for their top players when they do miss time.

Weren't you pining for Ehlers not long ago? A guy who has missed a ton of games the past several seasons due to injury. More than Tuch has by the way.
The games Quinn didn't play in 22-23 were not because of injuries either.

Reactions: Matt Ress

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
Both Tuch and Quinn can't make it through a full season Zucker is cooked. It's a huge hole and if this team faces injuries then throw another season in the garbage

And sure every team faces injuries but Thompson, Tuch and Quinn were all injured last year and Adams has no plan B.
So your assuming Quinn Tuch and Thompson will be injured.So what's your plan B? You can only have so many players on the roster unless you think they should trade them 3 for other players who you will hope will be top 6? So tell me who they should trade and for who.I am generally interested when someone says they should have got more top 6 players

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022

eren't you pining for Ehlers not long ago? A guy who has missed a ton of games the past several seasons due to injury. More than Tuch has by the way.
Being injured and not missing games how did that work out for Thompson?

Guys need to stay healthy even if they don't miss games.

We have a few guys who can't stay healthy. Let's see how it plays out during the season.

No, I was never pining for Ehlers. Nice try though. also didn't he play 82 games last season?

While Quinn has two long term injuries requiring surgery. Interesting you defend Quinn while using Ehlers as an example.

Last edited:

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
The bottom line is last season was Adams first true opportunity to improve a team expected to compete and he didn't. This year he did.
First true opportunity was 3 years ago following the 2021-22 season. Adams failure to identify and act on that opportunity doesn't mean that it wasn't there.

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
We need one that can play the left side.....assuming that the top 4 are Dahlin/Power/Byram/Sammy in some order.
They could also play Sammy on the 3rd pairing and extra shifts for defensive situations. It may benefit him to see fewer minutes given how his style of play leads to him getting more banged up. Trade for Ceci to pair with Power and waive Bryson if need be. Ceci is often the whipping boy in Edmonton, but I don't think he's as bad as they make him out to be.

Byram - Dahlin
Power - Ceci
Sammy - Clifton
Jokiharju
Johnson

Ceci is only signed for a year, so if he doesn't pair well with Power then there no long term committment there.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

I cracked up when they talked about how they are so tired of people talking about the Sabres spending. And if you want to bring up the Sabres internal budget, you should name the player that has moved this offseason that the Sabres should have added and explain how the Sabres would have outbid the team that got him.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
First true opportunity was 3 years ago following the 2021-22 season. Adams failure to identify and act on that opportunity doesn't mean that it wasn't there.
I was repeatedly yelled at that off-season for daring to suggest they were actually ahead of Detroit and Ottawa and should add in places we had big needs. I was told the next year was the year we would spend. The next year we did nothing again. The same arguments happen every single off-season from the same people that refuse to see the forest through the trees.

This year we have a mess of players that don’t fit on D and, yes. A massive f***ing hole in the top 6. No. Putting someone’s 4th liner last year in your top 6 is not an answer. No. Forcing Benson up there and counting on a big jump at 19 is not an answer. No. Crossing your fingers on a prospect with no NHL experience is not an answer. You’ve got Tage, Tuch, Peterka, Quinn and Cozens. All but one coming off either a down year or an injury plagued one. And the money saved buying out Skinner. It’s embarrassing. And it’s the fifth year Adams has been in charge of it. And, if there is a God, the last.

Forget what happens with one injury. It’s f***ed now

Last edited:
Reactions: BFLO

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
I was repeatedly yelled at that off-season for daring to suggest they were actually ahead of Detroit and Ottawa and should add in places we had big needs. I was told the next year was the year we would spend. The next year we did nothing. The same arguments happen every single off-season from the same people that refuse to see the forest through the trees.
Gonna need to see the receipts on that

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Gonna need to see the receipts on that

Well, good news for you. There is a search bar and you can find posts from that year very easily. You’re gonna be shocked at how consistently people get it wrong and get angry at people who are completely right.

Enjoy your reading. Hope you learn something

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
I was repeatedly yelled at that off-season for daring to suggest they were actually ahead of Detroit and Ottawa and should add in places we had big needs. I was told the next year was the year we would spend. The next year we did nothing again. The same arguments happen every single off-season from the same people that refuse to see the forest through the trees.

This year we have a mess of players that don’t fit on D and, yes. A massive f***ing hole in the top 6. No. Putting someone’s 4th liner last year in your top 6 is not an answer. No. Forcing Benson up there and counting on a big jump at 19 is not an answer. No. Crossing your fingers on a prospect with no NHL experience is not an answer. You’ve got Tage, Tuch, Peterka, Quinn and Cozens. All but one coming off either a down year or an injury plagued one. And the money saved buying out Skinner. It’s embarrassing. And it’s the fifth year Adams has been in charge of it. And, if there is a God, the last.

What 4th liner from last year is now in the Sabres top 6 this year?

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Detroit…doesn’t have as many young players in the lineup, doesn’t have as high end of prospects or as deep a prospect pool…should make moves because they’re…further…along…in the rebuild…

Buffalo…has more assets and cap space than they can possibly use…stay that course you are so very very far behind

Here’s a sample from what I was saying in July of 2022. The summer of “they’ll make their moves next year” amidst a dumb conversation on why we were right to do nothing. In reply to being behind Detroit in the rebuild process. I’ll let the next offseason and the last two seasons speak for themselves.

Reactions: BFLO

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Heralding an improved 4th line is the lowest hanging fruit. He kept the same bottom 6 for his entire tenure filling it with non physical non decent players who couldn’t win a face off to save their life. It doesn’t mean you are going to net 10 points from it.

Reactions: Sabresfansince1980

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I like this old one of mine

The Kevyn Adams Buffalo Sabres, ladies and gentlemen
Heralding an improved 4th line is the lowest hanging fruit. He kept the same bottom 6 for his entire tenure filling it with non physical non decent players who couldn’t win a face off to save their life. It doesn’t mean you are going to net 10 points from it.
Revamping the 4th line was a good and necessary move, but in fairness (maybe aside from Okposo) the 4th line guys weren't losing games for them last season. Other than that the center position is weaker, Zucker for Skinner is a push at best, and the D-corps still doesn't make sense. KA is relying on Ruff, health, and internal improvement. It's yet again a minimal effort. The roster moves have been weak, but Ruff just might be able to move the needle just because of how awful Granato was. That's not much to give credit to KA...Ruff is going to have to be a savior.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Wouldn’t underestimate the power of marginal gains. Not saying this is going to be the Sabres but it’s also a good motto for day to day life. Read a book on it as well but here’s the short version:

Slight better output from every guy in our top 6, marginally better PP, a bit more health, more experienced coach, bit better from our backup goalie, better bottom 6, Benson a bit better, better seasons from Power and Samuelsson, Byram gets comfortable. I could go on.

I’m not saying they’re all going to happen but if they’re just a bit better in multiple different ways, they could add up in a big way. You win 4-5 more 1 goal games than last year. You go into OT 4-5 more times and get that loser point. That’s a massive swing that would’ve had us in the playoffs last year.

Of course you hope some of these are a lot better than just “a bit”.

And yes I do still want to add someone else in our top 6.

Last edited:

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

Please show who suggested that Buffalo was behind.

I remember very few people who thought that. The opposite was the more popular opinion. Eg: Detroit went out and added Bonino, goaltending, etc and Ottawa traded for Chychrun, etc. And neither was significantly better than Buffalo, who had a ton more assets and youth.

There were people going nuts because Detroit and Ottawa were making moves, but it wasn’t the large opinion of the board.

I also remember you frustrated that Adams did nothing to fix goaltending, after Campbell and others signed elsewhere. Seems as if that Adams strategy worked out.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Whether or not the team improves isn't going to hinge on only revamping the 4th line, which I think is being severely downplayed here. I've watched elite 4th lines have a big impact on games. I remember watching the Isles w/ Martin and Clutterbuck 4th line wreak havoc night-in-and-night-out, especially in the playoffs. Big time momentum shifters who also gave the teams hell on the forecheck.

Now, whether they improve by 10 pts is more nuanced than just focusing on the 4th line addtions:

Coaching- Replacing Granato with Ruff could have a big impact on this season. He's a better coach.

Goaltending shored up- UPL is taking the reigns this season. He's not the #3 goalie anymore. We don't have to waste games on Comrie or Levi. We very may well have a legit #1 goalie for the entire season, which wasn't the case last year.

Offseason Workouts- Are the players actually buying-in this offseason? Because last offseason they were too busy focusing on other things rather than hockey, and it showed. If they're committed to working on their game this offseason- it's possible they don't sputter out the gate, and all but destroy their playoff hopes in the first 2 months of the season.

Will the players buy-in to what Ruff preaches? - We've already heard from the FAs Adams brought in that they want these boys playing hardnosed hockey consistently. I think it was wise to bring in UFAs who are going to push the players to play harder. On top of that, if the team buys into what Ruff is preaching about playing outside their comfort zones, then the team could see a big-time improvement. Too many games last year we'd watch our core players reach for pucks rather than fight for body position, try to skate through the neutral zone rather than dumping it in, blow the D zone early, etc...

My homie Quinn- How many games did he miss last year? He's been ahead of Peterka in their development all along, and we saw Peterka grow his game to become more of impactful player. Quinn put up a points after being out for a long period of time. His presence shouldn't be downplayed. He very well may become our best forward. His potential is that high, and he's already a good player.

I understand people not believing in the team, but there's way more to their success than just adding a good fourth line.

KeepKane

May 6, 2015
They could also play Sammy on the 3rd pairing and extra shifts for defensive situations. It may benefit him to see fewer minutes given how his style of play leads to him getting more banged up. Trade for Ceci to pair with Power and waive Bryson if need be. Ceci is often the whipping boy in Edmonton, but I don't think he's as bad as they make him out to be.

Byram - Dahlin
Power - Ceci
Sammy - Clifton
Jokiharju
Johnson

Ceci is only signed for a year, so if he doesn't pair well with Power then there no long term committment there.
I perused their salaries and Ceci is the guy I would call about a price. Might have to move Joker someplace else.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
I could see Sammy and Clifton getting cratered but I guess the job of a bottom pairing is just to stay afloat.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Kinda seems like some people won't be happy unless we have a backup top 6 to replace our top 6 when our top 6 gets injured lol. AKA: they'll never be happy.

I get the issue with having a top 6 slot open, and that maybe Zucker or Benson shouldn't automatically be handed the job... but I think we've been doing this wrong for so long that people don't really understand how the whole prospect thing is supposed to work.

Injuries are where guys like Kulich and Rosen are supposed to get their shots. We always drop them guys onto the bottom 6 misfit toy lines asking them to play a game they aren't built to play (or worse, given no direction because the bottom 6/entire team was a sinkhole) over the years and shocker, they don't do anything in the NHL.

We have a real bottom 6 now. We have a real top 6 now (barring perhaps the open spot). We have real coaching now. Give these lines a real purpose and structure. If a guy gets injured, call up a kid best suited for that spot in the future and have them do nothing but study who they're replacing.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
The problem isn't about is this current roster a playoff contender, injuries or not. The issue with this season lies with did we get better than the other teams around us?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad