The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Yeah. I agree he can't assess needs either. I just think step 1 is assessing what you have, and then step 2 you can move on to what you need.

It's impossible to know what you need if you don't know what you have.

Adams assessment of the team hasn't lined up with reality.

2020-21:
Pegula thought we were: Taylor Hall away from the cup. So he got us Tay tay
Reality: Kreuger

2021-22:
The Eichel situation caused Adams to tank: Tanking. Losing Ullmark for nothing. Eichel situation, trading away Reinhart and Risto, etc. He added the bare minimum to fill out roster spots while spending to the cap floor.
Reality: They were bad.

2022-23:
Adams thought we were: still a 75 point team and that the end of season growth was a mirage (Why would anyone expect this team to compete already?). His off season moves reflect that. He made no real additions. Still at the cap floor.
Reality: Overperformed in a clear rebuilding year

2023-24
Adams thought we were: a 95+ point team if we ran it back with Internal Growth
Reality: Underperformed first year out of the rebuild, Coach failures.

2024-25
Adams thinks: needed to reshape the bottom 6 (Smart). Thinks the defense is set (It is, Byram is a huge outside addition that has barely played here.). Is counting on the top 6 to take a step forward with no outside additions (Zucker. Top 5 is good, bounce backs are reasonable. Benson potential to grow into top 6).
Reality: to be determined
You can pose things without such an obvious bias towards attacking Adams. You are also basically stating Adams view of the team is their previous years performance, which is...typical?

This is a long post that really could have just said "do something Kevyn".

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Seeing St Louis go after Edmonton's unsigned younger players, makes me wonder if some team might take a poke at Krebs.

Buffalo probably matches since they have the room, but getting Krebs for a 3rd rounder seems worth the risk, especially if you have a need at C.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
SmartSelect_20240813_111344_Instagram.jpg

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Seeing St Louis go after Edmonton's unsigned younger players, makes me wonder if some team might take a poke at Krebs.

Buffalo probably matches since they have the room, but getting Krebs for a 3rd rounder seems worth the risk, especially if you have a need at C.
Please someone do this.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
We need one that can play the left side.....assuming that the top 4 are Dahlin/Power/Byram/Sammy in some order.
None of Joki, Johnson, Bryson, or Clifton play the left? I am not being cheeky or anything. I am literally terrible at remembering which D men play on which side. I would just assume with the log jam at the third pair, that we wouldn't be looking to add anymore bottom pairing D.

Last edited:

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Non of Joki, Johnson, Bryson, or Clifton play the left? I am not being cheeky or anything. I am literally terrible at remembering which D men play on which side. I would just assume with the log jam at the third pair, that we wouldn't be looking to add anymore bottom pairing D.

Both Johnson and Bryson play the left side, but have played on both sides.

Reactions: Mattilaus

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Non of Joki, Johnson, Bryson, or Clifton play the left? I am not being cheeky or anything. I am literally terrible at remembering which D men play on which side. I would just assume with the log jam at the third pair, that we wouldn't be looking to add anymore bottom pairing D.
Johnson and Bryson are both left-handed defensemen who play the left side (though both have played the right). Bryson isn't/shouldn't be an everyday NHLer, but he's fine as a both-sides #7 or #8. Joki and Clifton are both right-handed defensemen who are straight-up awful when asked to play the left side.

Reactions: Mattilaus

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Because no one on the outside can believe a team who has missed the playoffs for 13 years is going to leave a hole in the top six while sitting on the cap savings from cutting Skinner.

because it is, in fact, ridiculous.
hey! cut it out! we have Mcleod!!

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Because no one on the outside can believe a team who has missed the playoffs for 13 years is going to leave a hole in the top six while sitting on the cap savings from cutting Skinner.

because it is, in fact, ridiculous.
We have a budget, cutting Skinner was more about dollars than cap.
I do think a better hockey team would bring in way more money but maybe Pegs doesn't want to risk it.

I would prefer a better 3C over adding to the top 6. Maybe we can get a discount on Henrique? :naughty:

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
We have a budget, cutting Skinner was more about dollars than cap.
I do think a better hockey team would bring in way more money but maybe Pegs doesn't want to risk it.

I would prefer a better 3C over adding to the top 6. Maybe we can get a discount on Henrique? :naughty:
"bUt ThE bILlS"

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
You can pose things without such an obvious bias towards attacking Adams. You are also basically stating Adams view of the team is their previous years performance, which is...typical?

This is a long post that really could have just said "do something Kevyn".
2022-23:
Adams thought we were: still a 75 point team and that the end of season growth was a mirage (Why would anyone expect this team to compete already?). His off season moves reflect that. He made no real additions. Still at the cap floor.

Answer: Because I watched the games. The team turned the corner from a bottom 3 in the league super tanker to something more in the middle.

I'm generally perceived as one of the most negative or "attacking of Adams" posters here. But I'm not negative, I'm realistic. The team has generally been awful for the past 13 years, so when I share what I see about this team, I'm generally calling them awful. That's not being negative.

But when they turned the corner I posted about that too. I was excited and had hope. I saw the opportunity to make use of our #1 in the league cap space to improve the team and start making the playoffs. But Adams didn't see it that way.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
2022-23:

Answer: Because I watched the games. The team turned the corner from a bottom 3 in the league super tanker to something more in the middle.

I'm generally perceived as one of the most negative or "attacking of Adams" posters here. But I'm not negative, I'm realistic. The team has generally been awful for the past 13 years, so when I share what I see about this team, I'm generally calling them awful. That's not being negative.

But when they turned the corner I posted about that too. I was excited and had hope. I saw the opportunity to make use of our #1 in the league cap space to improve the team and start making the playoffs. But Adams didn't see it that way.
The bottom line is last season was Adams first true opportunity to improve a team expected to compete and he didn't. This year he did.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
The bottom line is last season was Adams first true opportunity to improve a team expected to compete and he didn't. This year he did.
Adding 4th liners only makes this team marginally better. Adams added zero players that can make a difference offensively.

Look at the teams around us. We will be lucky to get 8th. Is that Adams goal going into year 4 of his plan?

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
Adding 4th liners only makes this team marginally better. Adams added zero players that can make a difference offensively.

Look at the teams around us. We will be lucky to get 8th. Is that Adams goal going into year 4 of his plan?
We needed to add speed and grit and we did.They traded a prospect for a player who is still only 24 arguably fastest player in the league but doesn't go to the tough areas.His transition game is excellent maybe Ruff gets him some PP time and he excells. My point is this is all Ruff telling Adams to make these moves.Skinner buyout is Ruff telling Adams it won't work here with him..I am a huge Ruff guy and he knows what this team needs.Top 6 are Thompson Tuch Peterka Quinn Cozens and Benson.Add Zucker and Greenway on 3rd line and forward group looks deep at least to me.Defense looks talented and deep to me along with goaltending. The key in my opinion is specialty teams health and a structure that demands two way play.I think they addressed their biggest needs which was grit goaltending and coaching.Time will tell j guess

Reactions: KeepKane

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
We needed to add speed and grit and we did.They traded a prospect for a player who is still only 24 arguably fastest player in the league but doesn't go to the tough areas.His transition game is excellent maybe Ruff gets him some PP time and he excells. My point is this is all Ruff telling Adams to make these moves.Skinner buyout is Ruff telling Adams it won't work here with him..I am a huge Ruff guy and he knows what this team needs.Top 6 are Thompson Tuch Peterka Quinn Cozens and Benson.Add Zucker and Greenway on 3rd line and forward group looks deep at least to me.Defense looks talented and deep to me along with goaltending. The key in my opinion is specialty teams health and a structure that demands two way play.I think they addressed their biggest needs which was grit goaltending and coaching.Time will tell j guess
Both Tuch and Quinn can't make it through a full season Zucker is cooked. It's a huge hole and if this team faces injuries then throw another season in the garbage

And sure every team faces injuries but Thompson, Tuch and Quinn were all injured last year and Adams has no plan B.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad