The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
The Sabres don't need a starting goalie. Texier, Magniapane, Dubois, and Walman? There are better options available in FA than those four. Guys who are rumored to be "available", yet haven't been traded for by any GM in the league are, by definition, still available. I would be p*ssed if Adams had given up anything of value for any of the skaters who have been moved so far. There's still plenty of offseason left to add a couple of skaters who will fit better and actually make an impact. GM's are waiting for the right deals for the right players. Adams should also.
I never said they did. I said it shows players are available. I even said that in my post. Why didn't you read that part???

Trades are happening its just Adams isnt capable of making them.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
The Ehlers+Iaffalo rumor was that Winnipeg wanted a big return, Adams wanted Ehlers to sign an extension, and things fell apart at that point.

Is Adams supposed to give up say 14+[Kulich, Savoie, or Rosen] for Ehlers without an extension and Iaffalo? Or what if the issue was that Ehlers not only wouldn't sign an extension, but he wouldn't waive, what is Adams supposed to do?

I get the frustration that Adams can't get deals over the goal line. But, no GM was getting anything of note done yesterday. This is a bigger issue than just Adams. It takes two to tango and nobody wanted to give up NHLers today. Likely because they weren't that high on this year's crop of prospects.
BOOM! Exactly what I said last night. It doesn't make sense. Take the blinders off.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
I did not like Tim Murray's approach but at least he proved you could get many high profile players to Buffalo in a short time frame.
Saw this on reddit and it cracked me up. I added some caveats to make it closer to true.
*Stanley Cup winning FORWARD core* *Defense and Goalies not found* (well he did acquire a really good goalie, but he turned out to be crazy and now owes millions of dollars to an exotic snake breeding farm)
1719664892271.png

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
I’ll say this about Adams, he’s incredibly patient with his plan. Whatever his management team has been doing with scouting, drafting, and development is the best I’ve seen in Buffalo ever. I only go back to Regier.

If Ruff can get the structure in place there’s no reason why the Sabres shouldn’t grow into a consistent playoff team. It’s going to take another year I believe unless Adams can be better with his NHL moves.

Reactions: My Cozen Dylan

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Saw this on reddit and it cracked me up. I added some caveats to make it closer to true.
*Stanley Cup winning FORWARD core* *Defense and Goalies not found* (well he did acquire a really good goalie, but he turned out to be crazy and now owes millions of dollars to an exotic snake breeding farm)
View attachment 889241
Pegula's Buffalo Sabres could probably rival Joe Exotic as a netflix doc. Lehner not saving what, 13 consecutive penalty shots? "I can't do it coach!"

Reactions: BFLO and sabremike

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
View attachment 888501

He was also up and down between the NHL and the minors.
From a developmental and production viewpoint, Savoie and Point compare favorably for Savoie.
Trade ostlund and Rosen - prob solved
Trade Ostlund and you can take the “Sabres” part right out of your name, buddy.
Easy, Rosen. Ostlund is a natural center who can play wing. They aren’t trading Helenius right after picking him and rating him in the top 10. Kulich has center experience but is probably a wing. Savoie can do either.

And Rosen isn’t some insane talent that the team wouldn’t part with him.

Keep as many player who can play center as you can, even if they end up as wings.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
I did not like Tim Murray's approach but at least he proved you could get many high profile players to Buffalo in a short time frame.
He had a bit of an advantage though. Buffalo wasn't know as being as dysfunctional back then. We were getting Eichel and it was thought we'd be on the way up. Nobody is buying that now, not until it already happens.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I've said this before, but the urgency now has been created by the lack of additions the previous two summers. One of the more infuriating things Adams has said that this was the 1st time he felt he could trade a 1st round pick

He had 3 1st round picks two years ago. And evidently he never even considered using one of them for immediate help. He missed the playoffs by a point a year ago...and didn't consider using the 1st round pick to improve the roster.

I don't necessarily think its a huge deal he used this pick. If there isn't a deal, there isn't one. However, The fact that this is the 1st time he even considered using his first round pick to add current roster, that is a much bigger underlying issue.

Typically, most of the moves are done by the 4th of July.

He has...6 days to turn this from a skilled team that can't defend with an inexperienced young defense to a playoff team.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
From a developmental and production viewpoint, Savoie and Point compare favorably for Savoie.

Easy, Rosen. Ostlund is a natural center who can play wing. They aren’t trading Helenius right after picking him and rating him in the top 10. Kulich has center experience but is probably a wing. Savoie can do either.

Keep as many player who can play center as you can, even if they end up as wings.
Don’t you think other teams feel the same way re: c vs w? I do not believe KA gets to make that call. The seller is going to want the versatile asset as well. If the player you want costs x in the sellers mind, you are not going to convince them to take a slight of build winger instead of a slight of build winger who can also play c. Jmho.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Don’t you think other teams feel the same way re: c vs w? I do not believe KA gets to make that call. The seller is going to want the versatile asset as well. If the player you want costs x in the sellers mind, you are not going to convince them to take a slight of build winger instead of a slight of build winger who can also play c. Jmho.
Sure. But the question was who goes? Not who would another team want?

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
BOOM! Exactly what I said last night. It doesn't make sense. Take the blinders off.
So he wasn’t able to be creative enough to work up a trade at a time where the draft picks are at their highest value to make a move, but I’m supposed to think he can get a deal done post-draft and into free agency using prospects and assets for a draft a year away.

He has a known surplus of supposedly high value prospects in a highly rated prospect pool. If he can’t get anything out of that and a top 15 draft pick, then he’s an ineffectual GM. If there’s no market, then you make the market. His job as GM is to help the organization NOW and the future, and his job is currently at risk RIGHT NOW. He has the pieces where he’s not at risk of mortgaging the future. Either 31 teams don’t value our prospects as high as we do, or he’s afraid to make a move.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
So he wasn’t able to be creative enough to work up a trade at a time where the draft picks are at their highest value to make a move, but I’m supposed to think he can get a deal done post-draft and into free agency using prospects and assets for a draft a year away.

He has a known surplus of supposedly high value prospects in a highly rated prospect pool. If he can’t get anything out of that and a top 15 draft pick, then he’s an ineffectual GM. If there’s no market, then you make the market. His job as GM is to help the organization NOW and the future, and his job is currently at risk RIGHT NOW. He has the pieces where he’s not at risk of mortgaging the future. Either 31 teams don’t value our prospects as high as we do, or he’s afraid to make a move.
Thank you!

"If there is no market then you make the market." Exactly.

Adams inability to close a deal has shown for 4 years.

We only have to wait one more week. Adams seems to have a plan but is ineffective executing it.

• Haha
Reactions: Fjordy

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I honestly don't think our prospects are valued nearly as high around the league as we value them.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I honestly don't think our prospects are valued nearly as high around the league as we value them.
Kulich and savoie I'd guess do. Ostlund and Rosen probably not. I bet some teams have an appreciation for the value of Neuchev, Komarov, and Novikov, to the point where if we do make a move I wouldn't be surprised if someone in that group is involved.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Someone has to want him though.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
If that’s the case, then we Sabres fans might need to re-evaluate how we look at our prospects and maybe take a deep dive into what we have. Because right now, that’s all Adams can hang his hat on and if If we have a prospect pool of at best tier 4 and 5 prospects at the end of the day, we might need to think just how secure his job should’ve been all these years.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I think Rochester will be overcrowded already, especially if they want to bring Helenius there. There will be a lot of talented and young players, but they also probably need some veterans and guys who are hard to play against.

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020
Isn’t that the crux of the issue? KA wants x, the seller says ok we want y with y being the more versatile player. It is a sellers market right now.
I think that’s all blowing smoke - there’s absolutely NO market that materialized last night bc people don’t want to trade 1st rd picks near/before or during for players anymore for some reason …so how do we know what the market is if no one’s even willing to participate in it??

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
I think that’s all blowing smoke - there’s absolutely NO market that materialized last night bc people don’t want to trade 1st rd picks near/before or during for players anymore for some reason …so how do we know what the market is if no one’s even willing to participate in it??
I wasn’t referring to picks. I was discussing prospects, particularly the value of same in a sellers market.

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015

I think this is exactly right. In the aggregate, it can be said that Buffalo has a "strong" or "great" or "#1" or w/e prospect pool. But, I don't think any one individual player is a going to be a star. We hope Savoie and Helenius can become Point and Aho, respectively, but...that's a lot of hoping. Rosen and Kulich are doing well in the AHL but they're not dominating the league or anything.

Then, there's also the hope that, when you put all these guys together on one team, the whole is greater than the parts. But, again...that's just hope, and it's got no trade value.

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
How about a-develop-and-sell-with-profit-approach to our wealth of forward prospects.
Especially Peterka seems like a good candidate for this: Play him on the top line all season, have him become a PPG player, make the playoffs in the process, trade him for a nice return (Fiala trade comes to mind as a comparable regarding value) to avoid a costly contract extension, insert e.g. Rosen into the lineup, repeat.

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020
I think this is exactly right. In the aggregate, it can be said that Buffalo has a "strong" or "great" or "#1" or w/e prospect pool. But, I don't think any one individual player is a going to be a star. We hope Savoie and Helenius can become Point and Aho, respectively, but...that's a lot of hoping. Rosen and Kulich are doing well in the AHL but they're not dominating the league or anything.

Then, there's also the hope that, when you put all these guys together on one team, the whole is greater than the parts. But, again...that's just hope, and it's got no trade value.
Isn’t this every prospect pool??? I think the overreaction on here is reaching epic levels - now our prospects aren’t as valued bc no one in the nhl made trades yesterday?! Geez guys you need to chill

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad