The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015
So personal attack? How do you know how to respond to me if I am ranting incoherently?

We missed the playoffs last year by 1 point.

What was the deadline acquisition to push this team into the playoffs? Riley Stillman.

People still think Adams can get the job done.

Well you're the one jumping off a bridge after 1 round went by and we still have another 5 or so days worth of stuff waiting to happen.

I understand you hate Adams but save your vitriol until after the "game" is over not during the first 10 minutes of the game where we are tied 0-0.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Well you're the one jumping off a bridge after 1 round went by and we still have another 5 or so days worth of stuff waiting to happen.

I understand you hate Adams but save your vitriol until after the "game" is over not during the first 10 minutes of the game where we are tied 0-0.
So critizing Adams is jumping off a bridge? After 13 years of missing the playoffs and 30% of that under Adams shouldn't we all feel that way?

Why are you ignoring the other 4 years of Adams not being able to improve this team.

Its mind boggling how you reset every year giving Adams a free pass for the previous year. For me its cumulative.

If we miss the playoffs next year are you gonna give Adams the same free pass again cause its only 1 round of the draft in 2025?

Last edited:

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015
So critizing Adams is jumping off a bridge? After 13 years of missing the playoffs and 30% of that under Adams shouldn't we all feel that way?

Why are you ignoring the other 4 years of Adams not being able to improve this team.

Its mind boggling how you reset every year giving Adams a free pass for the previous year. For me its cumulative.

If we miss the playoffs next year are you gonna give Adams the same free pass again cause its only 1 round of the draft in 2025?

Frankly I'd fire him pre-season if we don't do anything but he still has a few days to do things

Reactions: toddkaz

michaelsaas

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Beaumont, TX
No players are available so we should resign Girgensons and see if Okposo wants another year?

Hey maybe we should resign Clague? Check! Next up Tyson Jost.

Lets ice the same team as last year and when it comes time to fire Adams we should all ask for him to stay another year because no players were available.

What should year 5 of Adams plan look like next year? Hey no players available for 5 years so he shouldn't be fired.

You mean Adams had only this moment, only today to improve the team and lets ignore the other 4 years of his tenure?

Its insane how many people pretend Adams isn't a trainwreck.

Maybe next year he will get it done. Oh lets wait until July 1st cause I am sure Adams will convince more fringe NHLers to come here.

Adams has already proved he is incapable of attracting real NHL players to play here.
I think you need a break from the Sabres.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
So personal attack? How do you know how to respond to me if I am ranting incoherently?
Why is Adams targeting a player and wasting his time on a player that doesn't want to resign here?

We missed the playoffs last year by 1 point.

What was the deadline acquisition to push this team into the playoffs? Riley Stillman.

People still think Adams can get the job done.
It’s reasonable to be mad about his past shortcomings but there’s no point in renewing your anger without seeing how this period plays out.

I assure you if I see we’ve used pick 42 and 43 I’ll be right there with you.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Or we can pretend That Adams is trying hard and we can all feel sorry for Adams when he signs fringe NHL players that no one wants and say awww shucks maybe next year.

Gotta do it man, gotta improve the team or you getting fired or maybe Adams for life?
I did not like Tim Murray's approach but at least he proved you could get many high profile players to Buffalo in a short time frame.

Grinder44

Jun 6, 2006
Los Angeles
Lets see....Texier traded, Mangiapane traded, Markstrom traded, Ullmark traded, Walman traded, Dubios traded
McGroaty available, Marino available, Ehlers available, Necas available, Ekblad available, Churchryn available, Kadri available, Laine is available.

I mean trades are happening, players are available.

Thats just a quick list I threw together and I am sure there is another 20 guys out there available.

If Adams is willing to pay the price he can improve the team.

Dont give me some crap that Adams is helpless cause no one wants to play with him.
The Sabres don't need a starting goalie. Texier, Magniapane, Dubois, and Walman? There are better options available in FA than those four. Guys who are rumored to be "available", yet haven't been traded for by any GM in the league are, by definition, still available. I would be p*ssed if Adams had given up anything of value for any of the skaters who have been moved so far. There's still plenty of offseason left to add a couple of skaters who will fit better and actually make an impact. GM's are waiting for the right deals for the right players. Adams should also.

Reactions: elchud

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
No players are available so we should resign Girgensons and see if Okposo wants another year?

Hey maybe we should resign Clague? Check! Next up Tyson Jost.

Nothing wrong with Clague signing. Its a 2 way contract. You need to man the AHL team too.

He wont be it
Lets ice the same team as last year and when it comes time to fire Adams we should all ask for him to stay another year because no players were available.

What should year 5 of Adams plan look like next year? Hey no players available for 5 years so he shouldn't be fired.

Year 1 20/21 he came on late and asked Freddie what he wanted. Didnt work, he fired him.
Year 2 21/22 ...start of a rebuild trading off Reinhart and Risto. In season Eichel is traded. The team has a good finish

Year 3 22/23. Adam's realizes in a couple years the young players are going to want money. Hr needs to plan around that. The team just missed the playoffs

Year 4 23/24. They make some moves like sign Clifton. Mid season they do the Mitts-byram trade

Year 5..they do a coaching change and they have a bunch of players on ELCs. They dont have that much future cap space.

Most GMs are allowed to go thru a rebuild.

You mean Adams had only this moment, only today to improve the team and lets ignore the other 4 years of his tenure?

Teams need to be successful in drafting. You cant go out and buy/ trade for all veterans..the best ones usually arent traded away or let go as UFA. Sure you could trade all your futures for a few players who might help the team be the best of the mediocre and make the playoffs but they eed ont fo anymore because once they are done and walk in 2-4 yrs thr jar is empty.
Its insane how many people pretend Adams isn't a trainwreck.

Maybe next year he will get it done. Oh lets wait until July 1st cause I am sure Adams will convince more fringe NHLers to come here.

Buffalo is not in the big game market in UFA. They are just filling out the roster. Trades are the more likely course.

Adams has already proved he is incapable of attracting real NHL players to play here.

How is this his fault? UFAs has choices. You have a cap to deal with.

When the team improves, makes the playoffs things can change.

He wasnt the gm for 13 yrs

The team went through a rebuild

You cant control odd things.

2 years ago th rrg y go thru an 0-8 stretch when they had 4-5,of their D out. Last year it's in the top 6 where 5of the 6 is out for an extended time.

Injuries are part if the game, but some patterns are outliers
It’s reasonable to be mad about his past shortcomings but there’s no point in renewing your anger without seeing how this period plays out.

I assure you if I see we’ve used pick 42 and 43 I’ll be right there with you.
Dont go down that rabbit hole.

Hes looking at it as adding position depth when it comes to trades

Last edited:

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Lets see....Texier traded, Mangiapane traded, Markstrom traded, Ullmark traded, Walman traded, Dubios traded
McGroaty available, Marino available, Ehlers available, Necas available, Ekblad available, Churchryn available, Kadri available, Laine is available.

I mean trades are happening, players are available.

Thats just a quick list I threw together and I am sure there is another 20 guys out there available.

If Adams is willing to pay the price he can improve the team.

Dont give me some crap that Adams is helpless cause no one wants to play with him.
Mitts-byram doesn't count as anything I see.....

didn't need Ullmark, Walmsn, Dubois, markstrom.

What is willing to pay the price or be robbed?

Mangioponi is not worth a high 2nd. Washington sent thrn Colorado 25 2nd which is 59+. Calgary might have had more interest in a 25 pick since they had 2 2nds this draft

It takes 2 tumo tango

Last edited:

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
I suspect there aren't any trades for 3Cs. As for 2RHDs, I'm not as big on Marino as some here, and he isn't available until NJD gets his replacement.

I'd do a 4th for Pageau with retention. He's still a great matchup center, great on face offs, still has grit and PK chops.

We've got enough money for Chris Tanev, Heinen and Sherwood. None of them are sexy picks but they can all work with the Skinner buyout and Quinn/Peterka/Byram contracts coming up. I think lol

There is going to be roster improvement across the board next season, as well as an actual system and accountability. I'm more optimistic this offseason than last offseason.

Steddy33

Jan 7, 2012
Nothing wrong with Clsgue signing. Its a 2 way contract. You nerd to man thr AHL team too.

He wont be it

Yead 1 20/21 he came on late and asked Freddie what he wanted. Difnt work, he fired him.
Year 2 21/22 ...start of a rebuild trading off Reinhart and Risto. In season Eichel is traded. The team has a good finish

Year 3 22/23. Adam's realizes in a couple years the young players are going to want money. Hr needs to plan around that. The team just missed the playoffs

Year 4 23/24. They make some moves like sign Clifton. Mid season they do the Mitts-byram trade

Year 5..they do a coaching change and they have a bunch of players on ELCs. They dont have that much future cap space.

Most GMs are allowed to go thru a rebuild.

Teams need to be successful in drafting. You cant go out and buy/ trade for all veterans..the besf ones usually arent traded away or let go as UFA. Sure you could trade all your futures for a few players who might help the team be the best of the mediocre and make the playoffs but they eed ont fo anymore because once they are done and walk in 2-4 yrs thr jar is empty.

Buffalo is not in the big game market in UFA. Thry are just filling out the roster. Trades are the more likely course.

How is this his fault? UFAs has choices. You have a cap to deal with.

When the team improves, makes thr playoffs things can change.

He wasnt thr gm for 13 yrs

The team went through a rebuild

You cant control odd things.

2 years ago th rrg y go thru an 0-8 stretch when they had 4-5,of their D out. ⁰sat year it's in the top 6 where 5of the 6 is out for an extended time.

Injuries are part if the game, but some patterns are outliers

Dont go down thsg rabbit hole.

Hes looking at it as adding position depth when it comes to trades
Whatever you're on to keep the absolutely delusional point of view you're going on about here, send it my way please.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I suspect there aren't any trades for 3Cs. As for 2RHDs, I'm not as big on Marino as some here, and he isn't available until NJD gets his replacement.

Marino has trade control that kicks in on july 1. I have no idea on hoe Ruff handled him. Ruff could say he doesnt want him

I'd do a 4th for Pageau with retention. He's still a great matchup center, great on face offs, still has grit and PK chops.
i think he will be worse next season.
We've got enough money for Chris Tanev, Heinen and Sherwood. None of them are sexy picks but they can all work with the Skinner buyout and Quinn/Peterka/Byram contracts coming up. I think lol

There is going to be roster improvement across the board next season, as well as an actual system and accountability. I'm more optimistic this offseason than last offseason.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
I'm more keen on trading Kulich and Rosen than Savoie and Ostlund.

Don't know if Schmaltz is available. I'd keep the two 2nds, Schmaltz+Hayton for Kulich+Rosen+Joker? Utah certainly doesn't need anymore 2nd round picks. RyJo may be more attractive than Rosen for them as they are lacking NHL dmen.

Last edited:

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
With the DeMelo dream over, Matt Roy $6M+ incoming, and Tanev probably not wanting to slum in Buffalo, is Carrier the next best option for 2RHD?

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
With the DeMelo dream over, Matt Roy $6M+ incoming, and Tanev probably not wanting to slum in Buffalo, is Carrier the next best option for 2RHD?
Walker or Carrier maybe or trade Marino/Larsson/Whitecloud/Jensen/TVR

Ekblad and Trouba will still be on the market, will Ekblad be decent for one season? Or is he not good for us at all. It would just be funny to get another defenseman selected number one, although it didn't help us last season. :laugh:

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I think my favorite scenario here is that Adams essentially said that the additional 2nd round pick he received from the trade back with San Jose would be used to add a current NHL player to the roster.

The draft starts at 8:30 AM Local time in Vegas.

Lets hope the GM he wants to make a trade with didn't hit the tables last night and isn't going to be stumbling to the draft floor at 8:29 AM.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
“We were aggressive and there weren’t trades we could get other teams to agree to,” Adams said.

In the run up to the draft, Adams started to get the sense that deals weren’t going to happen.

“I thought we put together some really strong offers and when that didn’t end up happening,” Adams said, “as we got into the draft here, I just thought, ‘OK, it’s the year teams aren’t going to be willing to move a player for a pick or a package.”

1719656924754.png

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
So then are you an Adams for life guy or what?

I just don't get sabres fans. 13 years of missed playoffs, 4 years of Adams GMing and people are still giving this organization a free pass.

Also what you wrote is just not true. Buffalo is rumored to be in on Ehlers, McGroaty and Necas. Adams can close the deal or what?
The Ehlers+Iaffalo rumor was that Winnipeg wanted a big return, Adams wanted Ehlers to sign an extension, and things fell apart at that point.

Is Adams supposed to give up say 14+[Kulich, Savoie, or Rosen] for Ehlers without an extension and Iaffalo? Or what if the issue was that Ehlers not only wouldn't sign an extension, but he wouldn't waive, what is Adams supposed to do?

I get the frustration that Adams can't get deals over the goal line. But, no GM was getting anything of note done yesterday. This is a bigger issue than just Adams. It takes two to tango and nobody wanted to give up NHLers today. Likely because they weren't that high on this year's crop of prospects.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
The Ehlers+Iaffalo rumor was that Winnipeg wanted a big return, Adams wanted Ehlers to sign an extension, and things fell apart at that point.

Is Adams supposed to give up say 14+[Kulich, Savoie, or Rosen] for Ehlers without an extension and Iaffalo? Or what if the issue was that Ehlers not only wouldn't sign an extension, but he wouldn't waive, what is Adams supposed to do?

I get the frustration that Adams can't get deals over the goal line. But, no GM was getting anything of note done yesterday. This is a bigger issue than just Adams. It takes two to tango and nobody wanted to give up NHLers today. Likely because they weren't that high on this year's crop of prospects.
Why not just trade for Iafallo then? And then find another Ehlers in a trade or UFA.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Why not just trade for Iafallo then? And then find another Ehlers in a trade or UFA.
Iafallo wasn't getting 14OV by himself. So, it could be a table it and come back and talk today if they have interest in Iafallo alone.

It could also be that the Sabres weren't completely sold on Iafallo and he was there more for clearing cap for the Jets.

:dunno:

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Iafallo wasn't getting 14OV by himself. So, it could be a table it and come back and talk today if they have interest in Iafallo alone.

It could also be that the Sabres weren't completely sold on Iafallo and he was there more for clearing cap for the Jets.

:dunno:
Certainly not 14, he had less than 30 points last season, although he seems like a decent third line player. His price is probably a Mangiapane trade cost.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad