The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Ducks are pretty stacked in forwards... actually everywhere...
If they are stacked everywhere then they probably shouldn't trade anyone. I guess I am just suspicious when a very young, productive, flashy player is reported to be available for multiple years with seemingly nobody willing to pay the price. Him being available for so long is suspicious and the fact that nobody has snatched him is also suspicious.

Admittedly i know very little about the ducks.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Grinder44

Jun 6, 2006
Los Angeles
Wait, we're just talking about my preferences, not rankings. Savoie was my number one pick, McGrorarty third or fourth (I can't remember). I'm not saying we should trade Savoie for him. But guys like Krebs, Joki, Rosen, or even Kulich, why not.
I like McGroarty's game a lot and would love to see him in a Sabres jersey. I think Rosen could be a fair trade, or Joker would work for me. But that's about as high as I'd go.

Reactions: HaNotsri

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I’ve never said a good thing about Zegras but i think he’d be a good fit in Skinner’s LW role with that contract he’s on. I just don’t want to have to rely on him as a center. Otherwise - could be a good buy-low candidate if they don’t feel he’s a fit over there.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017

Interesting timing on this post, because I've been thinking a lot about the biggest problems with last years team, and I keep coming back to the offensive performance of our top line and 1D. While GAR/WAR is far from a perfect stat, I continually come back to this table:

1719365823290.png

The difference in EV Offense and PP offense from 22-23 to 23-24 is staggering, and it resulted in some extreme declines in GAR, WAR, and SPAR. among this group of players.

We can revamp the bottom 6, get grittier, improve our defense, and improve the coaching, but we need our big guns (perhaps sans Skinner) to return to form and stay healthy. We need this more than any other offseason change.

We need more of this:

Last edited:

dickiedunnwrotethis

It's gotta be true.
May 16, 2009
saskatoon
I have no issue acquiring Zegras if the idea is to buy out Skinner and slot him in at LW2 (with JJP at LW1 with Tuch and Thompson). Zegras with his issues is still possibly on the upswing, while Skinner is falling off a cliff.

A side bonus is that I don’t think it would necessarily require trading one of our top prospects.

We could still acquire “hard to play against” players for the rest of the roster.
Or we could could acquire a "hard to play against" player for the top 6 and even more for the rest of the roster. There's an opportunity cost in adding a player like Zegras. You lose the chance to create a more balanced top 6. You also make it even harder to instill a defensively responsible culture.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Or we could could acquire a "hard to play against" player for the top 6 and even more for the rest of the roster. There's an opportunity cost in adding a player like Zegras. You lose the chance to create a more balanced top 6. You also make it even harder to instill a defensively responsible culture.
We have 4 holes in the forward lines. You can theoretically add Zegras, Faksa, Trenin, and Carrier and be literally trice as hard to play against while adding Zegras.

Reactions: Dingo44

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
We have 4 holes in the forward lines. You can theoretically add Zegras, Faksa, Trenin, and Carrier and be literally trice as hard to play against while adding Zegras.
None are top 6 let alone top 9 adds to be tougher to play against. Thats the problem. We need guys that can play on those top lines, not be out of place and add that toughness. Spending what? 9 mill ballpark on that 4th line to play 9 minw a night is asinine. We need a mixture of influx of defense/toughness to the top lines and also the bottom lines as you suggested.

Reactions: dickiedunnwrotethis

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
None are top 6 let alone top 9 adds to be tougher to play against. Thats the problem. We need guys that can play on those top lines, not be out of place and add that toughness. Spending what? 9 mill ballpark on that 4th line to play 9 minw a night is asinine. We need a mixture of influx of defense/toughness to the top lines and also the bottom lines as you suggested.
Good luck with your Tkachuck pipe dreams

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Buffalo Sabres

2023-24 result: Missed the playoffs
Key players hitting UFA: F Zemgus Girgensons, F Victor Olofsson, G Eric Comrie
Key players hitting RFA: F Peyton Krebs, D Jacob Bryson, G Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen
Cap space: $23,518,930

What they should do: Buffalo has a new (old?) coach in Lindy Ruff, and he'll be working closely with GM Kevyn Adams to figure out how the Sabres can finally return to the playoffs in 2024-25. An easy win would be re-signing Luukkonen to establish him as Buffalo's starter; when Devon Levi faltered last season, Luukkonen took his opportunity to shine, and he deserves to be rewarded with a solid raise. Levi could still be a viable backup option for Buffalo, which would close the door on a return for Comrie.

The Sabres could use depth on the wing as well, especially if Olofsson and/or Girgensons are out the door in free agency. Adams should be looking to replace not just the on-ice skills, but also some of the leadership the Sabres lost when Kyle Okposo was traded in March. Jonathan Marchessault, Arvidsson and Tanner Pearson can fill spots in the lineup and provide a strong veteran presence in Buffalo's room. Plus, there's playoff (and championship) pedigree there to inspire the Sabres. One center option for Buffalo to target might be Wennberg; he was excellent in a third-line role for the New York Rangers this season and could provide for Buffalo in similar fashion.

Wow. That logo looks awful. Looks like an iron-on.

I think they are screenshots of the YouTube video. So, it could be image quality and not jersey/crest quality.

:dunno:

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Weird that the buyout smoke has dissipated with the approaching window.

Feel like I'm in the minority but I won't be too upset if we keep him. Aside from the presumed kane signing, it's going to take even more assets to replace his offense, which I'd rather spend on potentially 2 centers and marino.

Edit: lol, what timing

Fly Boy

Aye Sir!
Jul 29, 2009
Michigan
Weird that the buyout smoke has dissipated with the approaching window.

Feel like I'm in the minority but I won't be too upset if we keep him. Aside from the presumed kane signing, it's going to take even more assets to replace his offense, which I'd rather spend on potentially 2 centers and marino.
See one post above

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad