The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Why not? For me it was in the mix and I didn't know Savoie would drop to 9. But there were a few more players there.
Because consensus didn't even have MacGroarty in the top 12, Savoie dropped to us after most scouts had him between #5 and #7 where the highest I saw MacGroarty was I think #13 but every other site had him #19 or higher so drafting MacGroarty at #9 would have been labelled a reach.

I had Slafkovsky, Gauthier, McGroarty, Bichsel and Wright on my board. So we’ll see how accurate I am in the future.
As your top 5?

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Because consensus didn't even have MacGroarty in the top 12, Savoie dropped to us after most scouts had him between #5 and #7 where the highest I saw MacGroarty was I think #13 but every other site had him #19 or higher so drafting MacGroarty at #9 would have been labelled a reach.
Wait, we're just talking about my preferences, not rankings. Savoie was my number one pick, McGrorarty third or fourth (I can't remember). I'm not saying we should trade Savoie for him. But guys like Krebs, Joki, Rosen, or even Kulich, why not.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Wait, we're just talking about my preferences, not rankings. Savoie was my number one pick, McGrorarty third or fourth (I can't remember). I'm not saying we should trade Savoie for him. But guys like Krebs, Joki, Rosen, or even Kulich, why not.
I had Kulich ahead of him too.

All he’s done since then is lead his AHL team in goals back to back years as a teenager while taking weeks off to lead his country to back to back medals at WJC.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Feels like Buffalo is a part of some conversations this year.

Dare I say it feels different?

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I'm not even sure from where this idea that Zegras has a bad attitude came. His teammates love him which is demonstrated by how much he still hangs out with his old NTDP teammates. I've never heard of issues on the Ducks. I think it is the idea he's flashy and likes to try things and have fun and goodness knows we can't have a player try to have fun out there. So many Don Cherry and Mike Milbury and Tortorella's in the world.

Yeah, that's bullshit. I read a lot about Zegras before and after the draft, the guy is fun, friendly, not a cancer in the locker room. Good personality.

Being well liked and having friends doesn't equal a teachable attitude and good professional

I think there is a misnomer among Sabres fans that having friends on the team and being fun = no attitude problem.

Zegras can be a great guy and fun in the room, but be stubborn and not take coaching well.

Obviously if his name is out there and the ducks aren't coming out to immediately squash it, he is available at some level.

But if he's being moved because he's immature and having problems working with the coaches, we already have the 31 year old version of that in Skinner and we are trying to rid our team of.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I'm not even sure from where this idea that Zegras has a bad attitude came. His teammates love him which is demonstrated by how much he still hangs out with his old NTDP teammates. I've never heard of issues on the Ducks. I think it is the idea he's flashy and likes to try things and have fun and goodness knows we can't have a player try to have fun out there. So many Don Cherry and Mike Milbury and Tortorella's in the world.
I've got some family and friends that are Ducks fans. They are adamant that Trevor wouldn't play in areas or do what is necessary to win games, often looking to cut out when things get intense.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Zegras is an interesting candidate. I have a hard time convincing myself he'd be a good fit, but if he's the top-6 add + they retool the bottom 6, then I'm fine with the acquisition. Again, it's not really about one move- it's about Adams overall vision for this offseason.

But man, Id much rather they ante up and try to pry a player like Crouse away from Utah. Of course, Zegras seems to be available while I doubt Crouse is.

I also wonder if it'd be wiser to save some of those assets and trade for a less expensive top-9 winger who goes to the hard areas and can be the worker bee on a top-6 line.
The reason I like Zegras is that he's creative. The Sabres have a lot of "trying to do too much" types but I don't see a lot of elite vision paired with high level skill. Quinn?

Savoie and Ostlund project well in these areas. But Zegras is there now. He just doesn't play the old school way.

I'd love to have his speed, skill, vision, and creativity in the lineup. Of course, Adams would need to add more grit. But moves can't be looked at in isolation when talking team building.
If you think buying out Skinner is a good idea, I have no idea why you would think that trading for Zegras is also a good idea.
If we're talking defensive effort, sure. But offensively and in transition, they are two very different players.
The only player you even targeted worth looking at is Tkachuk

Zegras is a major no
Necas is just going to get overpaid for mediocre stats
Kotkaniemi brings me less than zero joy

Lastly, dealing away Peterka is a net negative in terms of offense
Whoooooooosh! That was the point going past you. The point was to show that a team can improve in the present and future at the same time.
He also did absolutely nothing as they circled the drain his last year here. Everyone seems to ignore it when they make him out to be a carefree clueless idiot who traded his cows for magic beans. He got fired after a season where he made no moves and let them drown. And it isn’t even why he got fired. He got fired because Terry didn’t feel in the loop enough.

Also most of those beans sprouted Cup rings.
This is true, but the room was so toxic that I'm not sure reinforcements would've mattered. It's been talked about to great length, but adding Kane, Bogosian, and Lehner to a room where you are trying to build a solid culture for the young guns (Eichel, Reinhart) was the highway to hell. That Sabres locker room was the opposite of what Bill Zito and Paul Maurice described last night.

The morale of the story is you have to draft well, add good players of character through trades and free agency, and build a positive culture. You don’t bring Kane, Bogosian, and Lehrer into your room.
I really like McGroarty, he's the type of player we would probably look for. The problem is he wants to play in the NHL next season, so he needs guarantees. I wouldn't be surprised if Boston or Washington made a move for him and he played in the NHL next season and thrived.
Power forward game, skates ok, will give everything he has to win. Net front guy.
I liked McGroarty too…but in no way would I have drafted him over Savoie. In no way would I trade Savoie for him now either.

This isn’t a particularly close call either.
Buffalo shouldn’t trade Savoie, Ostlund, or Kulich for him.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I had Kulich ahead of him too.

All he’s done since then is lead his AHL team in goals back to back years as a teenager while taking weeks off to lead his country to back to back medals at WJC.
I like Kulich and he could be a good player for us, but you have to give something to get something. If we can get McGroarty without giving up Savoie and Kulich, great.

Reactions: ValJamesDuex

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I've never seen them and can't find them but I guess unless it's the ones about him trash talking other team's players and getting under their skin which we definitely does. I don't see a problem internally - nothing about him being out of shape or arguing with coaches or partying too much or playing video games all night or being late for practice or demanding a trade. I know he's sad about Drysdale being moved but that was his best friend on the team.

I'm not saying Zegras is what the Sabres need or anything but from what I've seen talking to him, read in the media, or seen on the ice doesn’t show an internal issue. Some players on other teams especially on the Sharks and the old Coyotes aren't fans of his for sure.

32 Thoughts talked about him coming to camp out of shape more than once.

Edit - they have also talked about him not being Verbeek’s type of player and not hard to play against. More than once in the last three months it has come up.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY

Edit - they have also talked about him not being Verbeek’s type of player and not hard to play against. More than once in the last three months it has come up.
Can confirm:
DqUZYqCWsAA5eVn.jpg

SabresFanNorthPortFL

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2007
North Port, FL
Do we need Iaffalo? I mean, he's a local guy, but he's tough to play against? And it's not like his numbers are impressive.
Would you have drafted MacGroarty over Savoie?
Iaffalo is an actual NHler. He’s not “big game hunting,” nor is he a bottom line banger, he’s a legit middle winger that you need to construct a rounded roster/team. Not too expensive, local so good chance he’d resign. 40 point players are important.

As far as Savoie/McGroaty…..hand sight is always 20/20, and I think if Adams knew he was drafting Benson the next year, he’d choose McGroaty, if nothing else because of the size difference.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in

As your top 5?

Yes as my top 5.

Reactions: Sabre the Win

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

I haven't seen the out of shape stuff though I'll take your word on it.

Not being Verbeek's type of player doesn't mean the player has an attitude problem.

Maybe he does - just haven't seen it.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
I mean there has to be a reason the Ducks are ready to move on from the amazing Zegras right? Not saying he isn't a useful player in the right circumstance, but pretending there is absolutely nothing wrong with him is a little crazy. If that was the case, why would the ducks want to move him? He is young and seemingly productive.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I mean there has to be a reason the Ducks are ready to move on from the amazing Zegras right? Not saying he isn't a useful player in the right circumstance, but pretending there is absolutely nothing wrong with him is a little crazy. If that was the case, why would the ducks want to move him? He is young and seemingly productive.

Ducks are pretty stacked in forwards... actually everywhere...

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
I have no issue acquiring Zegras if the idea is to buy out Skinner and slot him in at LW2 (with JJP at LW1 with Tuch and Thompson). Zegras with his issues is still possibly on the upswing, while Skinner is falling off a cliff.

A side bonus is that I don’t think it would necessarily require trading one of our top prospects.

We could still acquire “hard to play against” players for the rest of the roster.

Reactions: Fjordy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad