The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I think they want Sammy on the third pair. Didn't they start with him on the third pair in training camp? They were trying Clifton next to Dahlin. Clifton sucked so bad so they had to put Sammy back in the top 4.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Seems like a lot of teams are "leaking" their willingness to trade picks. Makes it sound like either a buyer's market for those looking to move up. Or it will end up a big nothing-burger.
Maybe it's because of the even draft? I mean, Levshunov was recently mentioned in Chicago with the number 2 pick, but a hypothetical Yakemchuk can go to 12, and I'm not sure that Levshunov will end up being the best player.

I think they want Sammy on the third pair. Didn't they start with him on the third pair in training camp? They were trying Clifton next to Dahlin. Clifton sucked so bad so they had to put Sammy back in the top 4.
But that was under Granato, and now Ruff has arrived, and I’m interested in how he will build his defense, and whether there will be any changes there.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I have no confidence in Adams at this point because he has yet to demonstrate he has any clue about constructing a roster.
I just hope Lindy builds the roster, he has a lot more experience. I also hope they make sure to include Ventura in any deal so we don't end up with guys like Laughton. I'm amazed at how deceptive this guy is. Lance is talking about Laughton and thinks he'll be a good addition. Colorado fans on their board think he's going to be a fantastic addition, oh well.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
That's fair, but I would personally have Sammy in my top 4 regardless.

I assume you're concerned about injuries, but there have been plenty of players that have had injury concerns (Tanev is probably the poster boy for this). No team has artificially moved that type of player down the lineup because of it.

Secondly, Sammy's on ice impacts are significantly better than Byram's, so it would make more sense pencil Byram in on the 3rd pair if you're signing another top 4 D man.
It’s a variety of reasons and Samuelsson’s injuries are a part of it.

And if they traded away Mitts for a 3rd pair D….

Reactions: joshjull

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
I just hope Lindy builds the roster, he has a lot more experience. I also hope they make sure to include Ventura in any deal so we don't end up with guys like Laughton. I'm amazed at how deceptive this guy is. Lance is talking about Laughton and thinks he'll be a good addition. Colorado fans on their board think he's going to be a fantastic addition, oh well.
heart skipped a beat there for a sec thinking we made a deal :D

• Haha
Reactions: Fjordy

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
There is something passive to this, that they aren’t using it to shop but are letting it out there if some team is so smitten by a particular player to move up. With the Devils also making the same public comment, I don’t think the Sabres will move 11OA in a deal.
You think the Devils' pick is still on the table now that they have acquired a goaltender? My thoughts were that they would have moved the pick for the right goalie, but now that they have a goalie, they are unlikely to move the pick.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Byram will be playing with Dahlin, if Joki is retained, him and Power and then Samuelsson and Clifton with Johnson as the 7th D I would think.

GameMisconduct

Jul 20, 2006
GMJB was not this stupid.

No, he absolutely was capable of that level of stupidity entirely on his own. The evidence of his buffoonery is legion.

I started to type out a list of examples of his idiocy, each one making me progressively more pissed off as I thought about it and began to remember other inexplicably moronic decisions to the point I actually had to stop and erase it because it was just not worth it.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
You think the Devils' pick is still on the table now that they have acquired a goaltender? My thoughts were that they would have moved the pick for the right goalie, but now that they have a goalie, they are unlikely to move the pick.

They have 16 mill with 8 spots to fill. And they have Dawson Mercer to sign. Maybe they can add another piece somehow idk .. but it doesn't look like it unless they can move out money.

So it's probably unlikely 10 is moved?

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
so how you think it Will look realistic

If we get someone like ross as 3 c ? Trade Krebs or let go off girgensons . Was thinking of the contract offer there

Peterka Thompson Tuch
Benson Cozens Quinn
UFA Ross Krebs
Girgensons UFA Greenway

Samuelsson Dahlin
Power Jokiharju (or someone else)
Byram Clifton

UPL
Levi

I still think Krebs is the 4th line center next year if he is not traded. We also need a tough and physical POS player added to the wing. Please no Girgs. I am also on the P Kane train as he would instantly improve our PP and the the NHL has become a PP league. Dahlin dishing to Kane or Tage can cause other teams fits.

Reactions: ValJamesDuex

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Some of the stuff Peters and Rivet say is so obvious, and they can say it because they are not journalists. They do not need sources. If it's reasonably true, they will say it. The Skinner contract from this episode seems obvious. How do you prove Pegula was involved? You probably can't unless you GMJB to admit it as a source. He won't because the NHL is a club. But $72 M over 8 years.

There is just no way any other team could have been that close. The Sabres had the extra year; no one else did. Even if he could have gotten $9 M x 7 for $63 M which is hard to believe, the Sabres could have just gone maybe $64 M over eight and got it down. That $8 M cap would be better than $9 M.

Personally, I just get how $60 M over 8 couldn't get it done. No other team could have gone eight and $60 M match at 7 would have been about a $8.5 Cap hit. Who was doing that?

We had the extra year with a guy who clearly wanted to be close to Toronto. It is amazing how the Sabres blew this and we are paying the price now.

GMJB was not this stupid.

No, he absolutely was capable of that level of stupidity entirely on his own. The evidence of his buffoonery is legion.

I started to type out a list of examples of his idiocy, each one making me progressively more pissed off as I thought about it and began to remember other inexplicably moronic decisions to the point I actually had to stop and erase it because it was just not worth it.

Not to relitigate the GMJB era, but his two worst moments (RoR trade and Skinner signing) both seems to have the Pegula family fingerprints on them. He was a relatively conservative GM. I think his biggest fault was loading up on RHD (at a premium price), getting ready to get rid of Risto...and then not getting rid of Risto.

In the end though, his draft classes held up after time, his team management has not.

Reactions: Jacob582

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Not sure, but they also have a loaded group of younger players and might be looking to improve even more than just the Markstrom move.

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
They have 16 mill with 8 spots to fill. And they have Dawson Mercer to sign. Maybe they can add another piece somehow idk .. but it doesn't look like it unless they can move out money.

That Timo Meier trade/sign could get ugly

1719011115395.png

Reactions: jc17 and Beerz

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Anyone know of a site/tool that would let me drill down free agents by more advanced stats? Trying to find a decent list of PK forwards that are UFAs.

Why? We have a decent group of PK forwards.

Tuch
Quinn
Benson
Cozens
Potentially Girgensons

Our forwards on the PK were pretty darn good last year.

Reactions: Dingo44

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

The cap friendly salary counts LTIR but not the positions.

NJ has 2 on LTIR

They have 6 spots on the roster. MERCER is the only high salary. The others can be filled with ELC or low salary.

It's possible a small move could happen by NJ. Not trading thr pick for a player

Not sure, but they also have a loaded group of younger players and might be looking to improve even more than just the Markstrom move.
Or they think this is their last time getting s high prospect so why trade.

Reactions: Beerz

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Reinhart not good in the playoffs . Cant really do the own goals But the goals sabres need more of. Happy we dont have him. Think a raise for him Will be a big mistake
Playoffs being a totally different brand of hockey. Tighter checking, no space allowed, crazy level of shot blocking.

Changes a LOT of players on-ice game. And metrics.

Reactions: BUCKSHOT

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad