The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I also don't doubt one bit if Quinn was willing to sign long term right now the Sabres would be foaming at the mouth to do it. Injuries or no.

Or maybe I'm putting my own feelings of Quinn onto the team's view of him.
I wouldn't put it past Adams, I would do it. Quinn is a budding star, injuries are just holding him back. You can see the talent oozing from him when he does play.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
There are multiple things (UPL+Levi, Krebs at 4C, Samuelsson as Dahlin's partner) that I expect to happen that I would try and go in a different direction to add depth and experience.

:dunno:

That's fair, but I would personally have Sammy in my top 4 regardless.

I assume you're concerned about injuries, but there have been plenty of players that have had injury concerns (Tanev is probably the poster boy for this). No team has artificially moved that type of player down the lineup because of it.

Secondly, Sammy's on ice impacts are significantly better than Byram's, so it would make more sense pencil Byram in on the 3rd pair if you're signing another top 4 D man.

Reactions: Chainshot

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
That's fair, but I would personally have Sammy in my top 4 regardless.

I assume you're concerned about injuries, but there have been plenty of players that have had injury concerns (Tanev is probably the poster boy for this). No team has artificially moved that type of player down the lineup because of it.

Secondly, Sammy's on ice impacts are significantly better than Byram's, so it would make more sense pencil Byram in on the 3rd pair if you're signing another top 4 D man.
Samuelsson - Dahlin
Power - xxxx
Byram - Clifton

This may also make sense, although Byram becomes a strange man here.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Samuelsson - Dahlin
Power - xxxx
Byram - Clifton

This may also make sense, although Byram becomes a strange man here.

I agree, especially because there were reports that he was unhappy about being blocked by Makar and Toews in Colorado.

Now we just have to hope that Adam's comment about signing Jokiharju being important is more smokescreen than reality. I can't watch another season of Power and Joker.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I agree, especially because there were reports that he was unhappy about being blocked by Makar and Toews in Colorado.

Now we just have to hope that Adam's comment about signing Jokiharju being important is more smokescreen than reality. I can't watch another season of Power and Joker.
I think Byram still has good value in the league and some teams might even consider him as a 1D for themselves. Although if he plays on the third pair and sees almost no PP time, his value might go down. Or we'll have to start four lefties in the top 4.

Power/Byram - Dahlin
Power/Byram - Samuelsson

But then Jokiharju becomes completely superfluous, neither he nor Clifton seem to be able to play on LD. So far I don’t understand how Lindy will build this defense and whether there will be any changes here, well, not counting the depth.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
BTW don't think this was posted:

Lance mentioned today on their pod that Girgensons has a contract offer from Buffalo in holster and hasn't accepted it yet.

8ul3w1.jpg

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Power-Joker was the power joker. :biglaugh:

Really though, there is too much d-zone drift and too much lack of engagement for that to be a pair again.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Nothing against Zemgus, but as Lindy mentioned, he would like to have a guy in the lineup who can drop the gloves at the first opportunity. Maybe he could just take Zemgus' place.

I mentioned a guy like Kiefer Sherwood before, he had a good season and I know he can fight, but I don't know how often he does it and I don't know what his overall metrics are.

KeyserSoze81

Mar 1, 2007
Rochester, NY
Find it interesting that the team account posted this quote... Must really be shopping 11OV
I still believe that there is a 30-40% chance that the pick is moved. If you put yourself in Adams position, moving the pick is the easiest way to show ownership and fans that he is doing something. "See? We are in win now mode!" It is a low effort move with no immediate downside risk and his seat is getting warmer. Adams is likely not here when this draft pick makes their Sabres' debut, so he might as well liquidate the pick to try to buy himself some short term gains.

Side note: seeing us all struggle to pencil together a D-corps with Byram does not give me much confidence in how this summer is going to go. His acquisition eliminated the possibility to have a balanced defense, all while ensuring the Byram will depreciate in value as the year progresses.

Last edited:

Sabresbyswords104

Dec 7, 2019
My predictions:
UFA or trade

Peterka Thompson Tuch
Benson Cozens Quinn
UFA UFA Krebs
Girgensons UFA Greenway

Samuelsson Dahlin
Power Jokiharju (or someone else)
Byram Clifton

UPL
Levi

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
RE: Girgensons - IF I was him, and had any career aspirations to succeed, I would want to move on from Buffalo. He's a guy that would be a great cheap addition for any other team for a bottom 6 role, or even a top 6 if he went to Pittsburgh to play with Crosby. He could easily become the Lee Stempniak of the grinder role.

For Buffalo I would welcome him back if he wanted to be here. I think with Lindy, he probably would speak the same language in how to play the game. He would quickly become a favorite of Lindy's.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Only guys who will call out Pegula are Peters and Rivet. Yeah, lots of dumb stuff, but the stuff about Pags is gold.

I’m reasonably convinced that Peters lurks here. I doubt we have it archived anymore but the golf solute he gave the leafs in 06 at the end of the year was suggested in that GDT prior to the game and some of his Adams/Pegula talking points mirror stuff I’ve seen on here (or things I’ve said personally).

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
I’m reasonably convinced that Peters lurks here. I doubt we have it archived anymore but the golf solute he gave the leafs in 06 at the end of the year was suggested in that GDT prior to the game and some of his Adams/Pegula talking points mirror stuff I’ve seen on here (or things I’ve said personally).

Some of the stuff Peters and Rivet say is so obvious, and they can say it because they are not journalists. They do not need sources. If it's reasonably true, they will say it. The Skinner contract from this episode seems obvious. How do you prove Pegula was involved? You probably can't unless you GMJB to admit it as a source. He won't because the NHL is a club. But $72 M over 8 years.

There is just no way any other team could have been that close. The Sabres had the extra year; no one else did. Even if he could have gotten $9 M x 7 for $63 M which is hard to believe, the Sabres could have just gone maybe $64 M over eight and got it down. That $8 M cap would be better than $9 M.

Personally, I just get how $60 M over 8 couldn't get it done. No other team could have gone eight and $60 M match at 7 would have been about a $8.5 Cap hit. Who was doing that?

We had the extra year with a guy who clearly wanted to be close to Toronto. It is amazing how the Sabres blew this and we are paying the price now.

GMJB was not this stupid.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
According to Seravelli seems Colorado is open to moving Colton. Sounds ideal
There seems to be quite a few options at C available to fill our top-9 spot. Adams cannot miss out on these guys. Let's hope he chooses the best fit!

Sabresbyswords104

Dec 7, 2019
It doesn't look very good, I hope you're wrong.
so how you think it Will look realistic

If we get someone like ross as 3 c ? Trade Krebs or let go off girgensons . Was thinking of the contract offer there

Peterka Thompson Tuch
Benson Cozens Quinn
UFA Ross Krebs
Girgensons UFA Greenway

Samuelsson Dahlin
Byram Clifton

UPL
Levi

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
According to Seravelli seems Colorado is open to moving Colton. Sounds ideal
Yeah, I mentioned that earlier today.

Not exactly perfect, actually. He's a weird guy. I'd definitely take him over Laughton. But Colton has his warts. He's not a great defender, he's not trusted on the PK, he's barely played PP, and when he has he's not a net guy. He's a bit of a goofball, but he might be okay with a LOC (I figured that was Logan O'Connor) on the line with him. He can win faceoffs, but he seems like he's better suited to the winger position (at least that's what I figured).

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
so how you think it Will look realistic

If we get someone like ross as 3 c ? Trade Krebs or let go off girgensons . Was thinking of the contract offer there

Peterka Thompson Tuch
Benson Cozens Quinn
UFA Ross Krebs
Girgensons UFA Greenway

Samuelsson Dahlin
Byram Clifton

UPL
Levi
There's a lot of smoke that Adams wants to add a top 6 forward. He even said so himself. Krebs should probably start as a fourth liner. I think even Greenway would be better suited to play third line.

xxxx - Thompson - Tuch
Peterka - Cozens - Quinn
Benson - xxxx - xxxx/Greenway
xxxx/Zemgus - Krebs - xxxx/Greenway

The fourth line could change depending on how Krebs looks, maybe Adams could also find a guy who can be a C/W if Krebs doesn't look good as a 4C.

The defense is completely unclear to me. He traded Mitts for Byram so he could play third pair and get almost no PP? That doesn't make sense. And while Byram plays third pair and loses value, we're going to see Power and Jokiharju again? I'd rather see Power on the first pair with Rasmus. On the second pair, Byram with Clifton and Sammy with Jokiharju.

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
Seems like a lot of teams are "leaking" their willingness to trade picks. Makes it sound like either a buyer's market for those looking to move up. Or it will end up a big nothing-burger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad