The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Well, I think there will always be a GM who will pay, especially if he sees him as a top 4 RD with a right hand.
Oh, for sure, but the outlier contract that some drunk GM doles out is not the value of the player, which is what the arbiters job is to determine. What is the number most GMs would look to sign him at, that is his actual value. Arbiters don't look at UFA contracts, they don't take into account his current contract or his qualifying offer. All they look at is his measurable stats, usage, and then look for comps around the league to decide their decision, which should be an average snapshot of similar players and their salaries.

He just is not worth 4M, and the idea that arbitration is going to give him over 4M is pretty crazy imo.

Reactions: KrakenSabresMike

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I think moving Mittelstadt left a bit of a playmaking gap in the line up which none of the younger players are ready to fill.

Neither of those are even centers.
-Buyout Skinner
-Obtain Buch and Hayes (I don't know what the price would be)
-Sign Kane and add another bottom 6 guy who has someone pissing in his cheerios every morning
-See if you can upgrade on Jokiharju, but not absolutely necessary.

With what cap space?

I doubt it happens but packaging up Hayes and Buch might be worth it. Could be a hefty price but I'd be about it. Knocks out 2 birds with 1 stone and then you attack the free agent market.

Roster 8/5/0with 23.5M in space

Add
2G for $6M
2 ELC F for 1.9M
1.5M for 7D
Add
Hayes is around 3.6M. Say Krebs at 1.4M

12F/6D/2G with 9.1M
With Peterka, Quinn, Byram ELCs and Grernway a UFA it nay cost $7M.

With a $4M cap inc thsts net $4M eaten from that 9M

If a F and D cost $1M each
24/25 they have $7M this year
35/26 they have only $3M

Buchevich is only a rental.
I keep reading this 4M number for Jokiharju arbitration. Where is it coming from?

There are many Dmen in that ballpark..dont judt pick and choose. Hes played a bit with Dahlin over the years. Its more than what you did last year
It's on the contract as a whole

His usage and point comps for UFAs are guys like Kulikov and Rutta. As an RFA, his leverage would be less and arbiters historically look at counting stats and usage, not handedness

3rd pairing minutes, no PK usage, 3 goals and 20 points, I would not be surprised if an arbiter came back well under 3M (there are way too may young D scoring 20+ points making peanuts in todays NHL for Adams to lose an arbitration hearing).

He isnt 3td pairing minutes. He hasnt been

I will be watching the Lundkvist, Brannstrom, Zemula and Schneider deals closely. I think he signs short term in the 2.8-3.2 range.

Also, think of the Jokiharju contract as a bonus investment into UPLs development. It's bad business to trade the countryman and BFF of a young Finnish goalie that you are going to rely heavily on in the upcoming season.
Hes getting much more than $3M if it goes to arb. Hr could sign ffg or lesd if there are more yrs.

Thst still forsnt prevent getting traded.
The fact that farabee has been mentioned as on the block fairly frequently gives me a little pause but I'd definitely be interested in that

Do we know why philly wants to move him?

They may if they get a nice offer. He has 3 yrs st $5M. Skinner retained st same amt is probably the more than off player.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Oh, for sure, but the outlier contract that some drunk GM doles out is not the value of the player, which is what the arbiters job is to determine. What is the number most GMs would look to sign him at, that is his actual value. Arbiters don't look at UFA contracts, they don't take into account his current contract or his qualifying offer. All they look at is his measurable stats, usage, and then look for comps around the league to decide their decision, which should be an average snapshot of similar players and their salaries.

He just is not worth 4M, and the idea that arbitration is going to give him over 4M is pretty crazy imo.
Which players will the arbitrage look at for comparison? Byram, Miller, Carlo, Sammy, Marino, Sandin. Maybe on one of them?

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020

Agree with you - those “ lots of top 6 D making 4 mil” how many of them are in their ufa years? He will get compared to rfa year deals which are much less …

Aldo what are his counting stats that give him such a raise from mundane points/minute stuff to deeper analytics?

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Philly also has picks 32 and 51 to balance something out involving 11, but even 11 to 32 is a pretty significant drop off

Ahh there it is. Idk why I thought his reputation was better
I’m just one opinion, I’m not sure it’s exactly consensus. But out of all the rumored players on Philly who may move (Frost, Laughton, Cates, Konecny, et al.), he’s my least favorite by a good amount.

Easy no, Farabee and Frost aren’t good at the defensive side of the game.
Frost is fine on the defensive side. Not exactly his strong suit but he’s not nearly the liability that Farabee is imo.

Frost does have that annoying agent though. Marner’s agent, who’s always leaking and stirring up shit. Not a fan of that dude.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
#11 + Krebs for Frost + Farabee
I wouldn’t trade Krebs alone for those two. I’d hate this so much, horrible value.

Philly doesn’t really have players worth 11oa except an extended Konecny

Behold the deep defense, frankenstein top 9, PITA 4th line forward group, and veteran backup goalie

View attachment 884918
I’d honestly rather give Krebs another try than Hayes. I didn’t watch him much last season but he looked awful when I did see him.

Blueger and Demelo would be an absolute coup. If Adams can do that, I’d be his biggest fan.

Reactions: Irie

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
I got the impression that he wasn't a lazy player though. I guess we don't want guys that torts wouldn't approve of, but I didn't think he had a skinner reputation either. Hopefully he just looked at him wrong one day

Insert eye emoji

Acquiring Joel Farabee - a player we don't need - probably because he's from Syracuse, would be a very Kev/Pegula move.

...and it's even more hilarious considering he grew up a fan of Philly teams.

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
Hes actually the one Adams mentioned is willing to waive his NTC because of the Lindy hire. Jack loved this organization and its history so much he told kevyn that Lindy is the only coach he'd wear the sweater for, and is the reason he demanded the trade
What? I'm confused. Did I miss something here or is this still part of the joke? Why would Eichel demand a trade because of Lindy when he didn't even end up playing for him? I don't get it.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
What? I'm confused. Did I miss something here or is this still part of the joke? Why would Eichel demand a trade because of Lindy when he didn't even end up playing for him? I don't get it.
Very much a joke

Acquiring Joel Farabee - a player we don't need - probably because he's from Syracuse, would be a very Kev/Pegula move.

...and it's even more hilarious considering he grew up a fan of Philly teams.
I mean it would be because we're likely losing a winger that could score even strength goals, and he's solid in that category, not his hometown. I was mistaken about his defensive play, so its a moot point anyway.

Reactions: Uberpecker

goach

Jun 30, 2013
I wouldn’t trade Krebs alone for those two. I’d hate this so much, horrible value.

Philly doesn’t really have players worth 11oa except an extended Konecny

I’d honestly rather give Krebs another try than Hayes. I didn’t watch him much last season but he looked awful when I did see him.

Blueger and Demelo would be an absolute coup. If Adams can do that, I’d be his biggest fan.
Not seeing the Krebs love, But he has time.

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
I mean it would be because we're likely losing a winger that could score even strength goals, and he's solid in that category, not his hometown. I was mistaken about his defensive play, so its a moot point anyway.
And we'll have a healthy Quinn. If we're not getting an elite forward, or a guy with a decided edge to his game (like Konecny), then it makes no sense to add a top-6 guy.

Reactions: goach

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad