The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Why? We have a decent group of PK forwards.

Tuch
Quinn
Benson
Cozens
Potentially Girgensons

Our forwards on the PK were pretty darn good last year.

You forgot greenway. But as others have said, need a faceoff/pk guy for 4C. And you typically want your 4th line guys to have more utility than punching someone in the face.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
You forgot greenway. But as others have said, need a faceoff/pk guy for 4C. And you typically want your 4th line guys to have more utility than punching someone in the face.
UFA:

Trenin
Blueger
Stenlund
Joshua
Sherwood
Noesen
Carrick
Martinook
Carrier
Lomberg
Cousins
Lafferty
Amadio
Fischer
Aube-Kubel
Duhaime
Janmark
Nosek
Kiviranta
Greer
O'Brien
Blackwell
Lorentz

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I think they want Sammy on the third pair. Didn't they start with him on the third pair in training camp? They were trying Clifton next to Dahlin. Clifton sucked so bad so they had to put Sammy back in the top 4.
They certainly tried Clifton with Dahlin. I don’t think they were planning on Sammy playing on 3rd pairing but don’t remember 100%.

That said, I’m not sure how much that would matter now with Ruff as head coach. He’s already mentioned Sammy or Power as Dahlin’s potential partner.

Byram will be playing with Dahlin, if Joki is retained, him and Power and then Samuelsson and Clifton with Johnson as the 7th D I would think.
Ruff seems to feel otherwise, at least right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fjordy

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Trading Peterka, Rosén and Byram while buying out Skinner would still leave us with:

Benson-Thompson-Quinn
Greenway-Cozens-Tuch
Kulich-Krebs-Savoie

Samuelsson-Dahlin
Power-Jokiharju
Johnson-Clifton

UPL
Levi

Prospects
Wahlberg
Östlund
11th overall
Neuchev
Kisakov
Novikov

We should be able to add a top 4 rhd or 2c without really damaging us long term. Just gets rid of a logjam.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018

There are plenty of 4th line UFA targets that could bring what the Sabres lack. It will be interesting to see who Adams is able to sign.
GIF9ObMX0AARzR-.jpg

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Buffalo Sabres

The Sabres need to win now. With that in mind, the No. 11 pick and prospects are going to be part of trade conversations this offseason. Given what you know about this class and the prospect pool, would you prefer to deal the No. 11 pick or one of Matt Savoie, Noah Ostlund or Jiri Kulich? How would you rank those assets? — Matt Fairburn

Wheeler: Excluding the Sabres’ timeline/context, I think I’d go with the following based purely on value league-wide:
1. No. 11
2. Jiri Kulich
3. Matt Savoie
4. Noah Ostlund

Kulich and Savoie may shift above the No. 11 pick given their proximity to the NHL, though, for Buffalo, in that they fit the timeline you’re talking about better and Sabres fans are tired of waiting.

Pronman:

1. No 11.
2. Noah Ostlund/Jiri Kulich
3. Matt Savoie

I like all of the forwards listed, but I think they’re all likely middle-six types, I don’t see the true high side in their games. With the No. 11 pick you’re probably hoping to get a player you think can be a true top-four defenseman or top-six forward on a good team. I also don’t think Savoie’s trade value is all that high in the NHL based on my survey of teams.

I'm a bit surprised that Fairburn didn't add Rosen to the mix, as well.

Reactions: ValJamesDuex

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Trading Peterka, Rosén and Byram while buying out Skinner would still leave us with:

We should be able to add a top 4 rhd or 2c without really damaging us long term. Just gets rid of a logjam.
Are you trading them just for picks?
You can throw in Krebs, Joker, and Poltapov

Acquire

a mid pair stay home RD who is U26
A bottom 6C who can play 2C in a pinch
A 1 yr back up goalie
A bottom 6 winger who can play C

Reactions: goach

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018

I'm a bit surprised that Fairburn didn't add Rosen to the mix, as well.
Well, I disagree. I like Savoie and Kulich and they are close to the NHL. I think any of them could have made it into the top 6. Rosen could probably be a prospect that could be traded. 11 is valuable, but I'm not sure he'll be better than Savoie or Kulich and he'll be far from the NHL. For the right deal, we could trade any of these assets and still have a good pool of prospects.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Are you trading them just for picks?
You can throw in Krebs, Joker, and Poltapov

Acquire

a mid pair stay home RD who is U26
A bottom 6C who can play 2C in a pinch
A 1 yr back up goalie
A bottom 6 winger who can play C
I was thinking long term roster player(s). Byram, Peterka and Rosén is probably not enough to solve both top 4rhd+top 6 center but it should net us one of those+something useful.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I think the chances of JJP moving are so incredibly slim. I think in terms of likelihood of being dealt, he's less likely than OP.
I think it's only possible if there's a big deal like Tkachuk, otherwise I agree, there's no point in us trading Peterka. Prospects, picks, maybe Jokiharju and/or Krebs.

Reactions: TheMistyStranger

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

Buffalo Sabres
Whether to buy out Jeff Skinner: The Sabres could clear $7.5 million in cap space this season by buying out the final three years of Jeff Skinner’s contract, but he would count against the cap for six seasons. His $9 million cap hit has never been a bargain, and that was especially true when the 32-year-old had one point in Buffalo’s last 13 games after getting moved off the first line in 2023-24. This feels like a domino that will directly impact everything else the Sabres do this summer. — Matthew Fairburn

Reactions: BUCKSHOT

SabresFanNorthPortFL

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2007
North Port, FL
UFA:

Trenin
Blueger
Stenlund
Joshua
Sherwood
Noesen
Carrick
Martinook
Carrier
Lomberg
Cousins
Lafferty
Amadio
Fischer
Aube-Kubel
Duhaime
Janmark
Nosek
Kiviranta
Greer
O'Brien
Blackwell
Lorentz
I’d love to wake up July 2nd and see the Sabres signed 3 guys off this list. 2 min, and trade for a 3rd. Three real bottom sizers really changes the complexions of the team.

I’m still wondering if Byram wasn’t specifically brought in to flip….Mitts was a RFA so limited control and no fiscal certainty….opposite with Byram. We don’t need a top four lefty but I think he may have a slight more value than Mitts. It wouldn’t surprise me that Byram plus brings in a solid upgrade.

Reactions: dickiedunnwrotethis

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
UFA:

Trenin
Blueger
Stenlund
Joshua
Sherwood
Noesen
Carrick
Martinook
Carrier
Lomberg
Cousins
Lafferty
Amadio
Fischer
Aube-Kubel
Duhaime
Janmark
Nosek
Kiviranta
Greer
O'Brien
Blackwell
Lorentz

Give me Carrier and Fischer please. Backups of Trenin and Lomberg.

Reactions: Fjordy

Sabresbyswords104

Dec 7, 2019
What i would do is to keep Skinner , dont want him against cap for 6 seasons . Dont like him But keep him this season if it cant be worked out they can review it next summer. They should still make the playoffs with him. Girgensons have offer from Sabres. Krebs is rfa.bryson and Jokiharju also.

Try to keep: Girgensons
Trade or keep: Krebs, bryson, Jokiharju
Bye to: Olofsson, Jost, Robinson, clague, comrie
Upgrade with a top 6-9 Center, depth players for the 3-4 th line .

Peterka Thompson Tuch
Benson Cozens Quinn
Skinner Krebs Greenway
Girgensons 4 th line UFA Center 4 th line UFA Winger

Dahlin Power
Byram Samuelsson/Jokiharju
Bryson clifton

UPL
Levi

Any realistic rumors ?

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I’m still wondering if Byram wasn’t specifically brought in to flip….Mitts was a RFA so limited control and no fiscal certainty….opposite with Byram. We don’t need a top four lefty but I think he may have a slight more value than Mitts. It wouldn’t surprise me that Byram plus brings in a solid upgrade.
I'd love to see this come to fruition but I'm fairly certain that KA truly thinks he set the D-corps with Byram. I'm positive that he has no grand master plan that is only part-two away with a Byram + trade, for the very player the roster needs the most.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
What i would do is to keep Skinner , dont want him against cap for 6 seasons . Dont like him But keep him this season if it cant be worked out they can review it next summer. They should still make the playoffs with him. Girgensons have offer from Sabres. Krebs is rfa.bryson and Jokiharju also.

Try to keep: Girgensons
Trade or keep: Krebs, bryson, Jokiharju
Bye to: Olofsson, Jost, Robinson, clague, comrie
Upgrade with a top 6-9 Center, depth players for the 3-4 th line .

Peterka Thompson Tuch
Benson Cozens Quinn
Skinner Krebs Greenway
Girgensons 4 th line UFA Center 4 th line UFA Winger

Dahlin Power
Byram Samuelsson/Jokiharju
Bryson clifton

UPL
Levi

Any realistic rumors ?
And how is this roster different from last year? I have no confidence that this will be enough for the playoffs.

We need a top 6 forward, 3C, a few fourth liners, and ideally a top 4 RD to play with Power or Byram. Skinner trade or buyout (Adams almost confirmed it).

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Ruff seems to feel otherwise, at least right now.
He will change his tune, Dahlin and Byram together can create offence better than any other defensemen currently. It will be a nightmare for teams with those two on the ice driving the net or finding players open down low.

Power and Dahlin just ain't it.. He also double downed on UPL as being his defacto starter in his press conference a few days after being fired from New Jersey and hired. If UPL goes back to playing like he did prior to the second half of the season we will see if Ruff still carries his tune.

Ruff speaks in absolutes but unless he was watching all Sabres games and tapes while coaching New Jersey and thats why New Jersey sucked then I don't think he should answer questions in absolutes.

Sabresbyswords104

Dec 7, 2019
And how is this roster different from last year? I have no confidence that this will be enough for the playoffs.

We need a top 6 forward, 3C, a few fourth liners, and ideally a top 4 RD to play with Power or Byram. Skinner trade or buyout (Adams almost confirmed it).
I mean this is how it looks now and form That we need to upgrade

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
He will change his tune, Dahlin and Byram together can create offence better than any other defensemen currently. It will be a nightmare for teams with those two on the ice driving the net or finding players open down low.

Power and Dahlin just ain't it.. He also double downed on UPL as being his defacto starter in his press conference a few days after being fired from New Jersey and hired. If UPL goes back to playing like he did prior to the second half of the season we will see if Ruff still carries his tune.

Ruff speaks in absolutes but unless he was watching all Sabres games and tapes while coaching New Jersey and thats why New Jersey sucked then I don't think he should answer questions in absolutes.
And we're going to watch Power with Jokiharju again? No thanks, or maybe with Clifton. I don't understand at all what our defense will look like yet.

The most obvious step is to trade Jokiharju and sign/trade an experienced and reliable guy to play with the same Power.

I mean this is how it looks now and form That we need to upgrade
Well, yeah, but ideally we replace Skinner with a proven top 6 forward like Buchnevich/Ehlers/Konecny. Then Benson would play on the third line with a new 3C and maybe Greenway, maybe some other player Adams adds.

Reactions: Sabresbyswords104

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
This is how I'd view the lines if I were Adams going into the offseason (assuming he bought out Skinner):

XXX-Thomspon-Tuch
Can a legit top-6 forward bring this line's chemistry back? If Tage/Tuch can stay healthy for the year, that would help, but Im not holding my breath. This line would get heavy O-zone starts.

Greenway-Cozens-Quinn
Let's start grooming Cozens into that two-way beast we all hoped he could become by putting him in between two of our better defensive wingers. I also like the idea of Greenway being told to be the power forward of that line, and to use his size to wreak havoc. Maybe it rubs off on Cozens? Quinn adds some slick talent to that line. It could be a line that's a major PITA to play against.

Peterka-XXX-Benson
Cirelli would look really nice here; his speed would be a welcome addition, especially paired with Peterka. Whomever it is needs to be atleast solid defensively. Peterka adds game breaking speed to a line that should be solid defensively with Benson holding down the right flank + a C that can hold his weight defensively.

XXX-Krebs-XXX
Hear me out all you Krebs haters! Surround him with wingers who either forecheck like rabid dogs or use their size to put players through the glass...or both! Tell Krebs his role is to be a RAT that uses his speed to create space and move the puck up the ice. Play a north-south game, get the puck deep, grab your lunch pals, and put in WORK. He's done it in the past. Give him a clearly defined role. I'd like Jeannot/ Carrier/ Girgs etc....flanking him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad