The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

Sabresbyswords104

Dec 7, 2019
And we're going to watch Power with Jokiharju again? No thanks, or maybe with Clifton. I don't understand at all what our defense will look like yet.

The most obvious step is to trade Jokiharju and sign/trade an experienced and reliable guy to play with the same Power.

Well, yeah, but ideally we replace Skinner with a proven top 6 forward like Buchnevich/Ehlers/Konecny. Then Benson would play on the third line with a new 3C and maybe Greenway, maybe some other player Adams adds.
That would be good .

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
And we're going to watch Power with Jokiharju again? No thanks, or maybe with Clifton. I don't understand at all what our defense will look like yet.

The most obvious step is to trade Jokiharju and sign/trade an experienced and reliable guy to play with the same Power.
You know Jokiharju wasn't even bad this last season.

Power was the train wreck.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
You know Jokiharju wasn't even bad this last season.

Power was the train wreck.
That's why I don't see any chemistry there, Power needs a slightly different type of partner, it was obvious to me from the beginning and I said, find a good partner for Power. Dahlin didn't see that while he was developing, and now the same thing is happening with Power.

Sabresbyswords104

Dec 7, 2019
And how is this roster different from last year? I have no confidence that this will be enough for the playoffs.

We need a top 6 forward, 3C, a few fourth liners, and ideally a top 4 RD to play with Power or Byram. Skinner trade or buyout (Adams almost confirmed it).

And how is this roster different from last year? I have no confidence that this will be enough for the playoffs.

We need a top 6 forward, 3C, a few fourth liners, and ideally a top 4 RD to play with Power or Byram. Skinner trade or buyout (Adams almost confirmed it).
What i could see is something like sabres second round pick for Ross Colton and frost for Krebs + bryson + pick as this set up a good C spine . Ufa target Foegele

3 players in frost colton foegele

Perhaps buying out skinner

Skinner Thompson Tuch
Benson Cozens Quinn
Peterka Frost Foegele
Girgensons Colton Greenway

Dahlin Power
Byram Samuelsson
Clifton/Jokiharju

UPL
Levi

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
What i could see is something like sabres second round pick for Ross Colton and frost for Krebs + bryson + pick as this set up a good C spine . Ufa target Foegele

3 players in frost colton foegele

Perhaps buying out skinner

Skinner Thompson Tuch
Benson Cozens Quinn
Peterka Frost Foegele
Girgensons Colton Greenway

Dahlin Power
Byram Samuelsson
Clifton/Jokiharju

UPL
Levi
I think it will be a little different.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Not to relitigate the GMJB era, but his two worst moments (RoR trade and Skinner signing) both seems to have the Pegula family fingerprints on them. He was a relatively conservative GM. I think his biggest fault was loading up on RHD (at a premium price), getting ready to get rid of Risto...and then not getting rid of Risto.

In the end though, his draft classes held up after time, his team management has not.

The ROR trade is being sighted? GMJB was forced to trade him one day before a $7.5 million bonus was due. If you believe Pegula was not a factor in that, or it didn't impact the value of trade, I honestly do not know what to say. Without question, after the bonus was paid, you got more for O'Reilly. All reports said the Sabres went back to Blues day before the bonus was due. Could another GM maybe worked his way better out of that? Probably. A bit. But it totally changed everything. The panic to trade O'Reilly because of one dressing room comment was just classic stupidity from maybe one of worst run teams ever. One man has been at the helm the whole time.

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
He will change his tune, Dahlin and Byram together can create offence better than any other defensemen currently. It will be a nightmare for teams with those two on the ice driving the net or finding players open down low.
It’s a mixed bag. They did but also gave up the most goals

Byram/Dahlin -> 138mins/OZS% - 49%
GF/60 —> 3.9
GA/60 —> 4.33
GF% -> 46%

Power/Dahlin -> 254mins/OZS% - 70%
GF/60 —> 3.54
GA/60 —> 2.6
GF% -> 58%

It’s tough to directly compare the two pairings because of very different deployments and sample sizes.

Power and Dahlin just ain't it.. He also double downed on UPL as being his defacto starter in his press conference a few days after being fired from New Jersey and hired. If UPL goes back to playing like he did prior to the second half of the season we will see if Ruff still carries his tune.
He declared UPL the starter because he’s the starter. I don’t get what the issue is. If that changes later in the season, so be it.
Ruff speaks in absolutes but unless he was watching all Sabres games and tapes while coaching New Jersey and thats why New Jersey sucked then I don't think he should answer questions in absolutes.
I don’t know what to make of this.

Reactions: Dingo44

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
It’s a mixed bag. They did but also gave up the most goals

Byram/Dahlin -> 138mins/OZS% - 49%
GF/60 —> 3.9
GA/60 —> 4.33
GF% -> 46%

Power/Dahlin -> 254mins/OZS% - 70%
GF/60 —> 3.54
GA/60 —> 2.6
GF% -> 58%

It’s tough to directly compare the two pairings because of very different deployments and sample sizes.

He declared UPL the starter because he’s the starter. I don’t get what the issue is. If that changes later in the season, so be it.

I don’t know what to make of this.

The Dahlin Byrum pairing is probably hurt a lot by that Edmonton game

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Adams better be moving heaven and earth to get McGroaty
Jets fans seem to think/are hoping that if Chevy trades McGroaty (which might still be a big if)..........that Chevy fills a hole when doing so. The Jets holes are at RHD and #2 center.

There's a very recent comparable in the Gauthier-for-Drysdale swap. Granted, McGroaty isn't as talented as Gauthier.........but if Chevy is looking for a RHD or center that is NHL ready (or near).......we're not in the race.

As an aside -- if we didn't trade Mitts......Mitts for McGroaty would have made a ton of sense for both sides.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Jets fans seem to think/are hoping that if Chevy trades McGroaty (which might still be a big if)..........that Chevy fills a hole when doing so. The Jets holes are at RHD and #2 center.

There's a very recent comparable in the Gauthier-for-Drysdale swap. Granted, McGroaty isn't as talented as Gauthier.........but if Chevy is looking for a RHD or center that is NHL ready (or near).......we're not in the race.

As an aside -- if we didn't trade Mitts......Mitts for McGroaty would have made a ton of sense for both sides.
So long Jokiharju. I’ll help pack your bags.

Mcgroarty is exactly what we need. He’d immediately be our top prospect too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad