The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
if what the rumors are true, I’m not touching McGroaty at all. If he’s not going to sign if he isn’t gifted playing time….im not giving him that deal either. It was dumb when we did it for Mittelstadt, it was dumb when we did it for Levi.
It's far from dumb, it's a trade off. The player loses 1 of their 3 chances to cash in on class A, B or C bonuses. In exchange they reach non-arbitration RFA status a year early with almost zero negotiation leverage unless they blew up. It seems you conveniently forgot that Mitts was productive when he joined the Sabres, and Levi almost carried them to the playoffs.

With McGroaty you're not burning anything as his contract would run the entire year. You sign him, give him training camp and preseason games to see what he does

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
if what the rumors are true, I’m not touching McGroaty at all. If he’s not going to sign if he isn’t gifted playing time….im not giving him that deal either. It was dumb when we did it for Mittelstadt, it was dumb when we did it for Levi.
I already expressed my opinion, he wants to get to the NHL, but the Jets probably think that he needs 1-2 years in the AHL, since they take a long time to develop their prospects. Read my comment above, I wrote everything there about Leone and the situation.
The Sabres do not need more young, inexperienced players on this roster. Spending trade assets, or swapping a prospect with a different skill set for him, is not what they need to be prioritizing this offseason.

Trading Rosen or Savoie or 11OV for RMcG could mean that they do not have the assets to add a specific veteran player that they need more because the other GM wants what they no longer have.

I just do not believe this is the offseason for the Sabres to be looking into a deal like this. Plus, if McG doesn’t want to go to Winnipeg, what are the odds he’d want to sign in Buffalo?
I understand your point, it just seems like he's right for us and he's ready for the NHL. That's my opinion. We'll still have assets and a lot of them. It depends on the price though.

He not doesn't want to go to Winnipeg, he just wants to get to the NHL. Until there's any other information, he'll sign with any team that gives him a chance in the NHL. That's how I understood it.

He'll sign a contract anyway, be in training camp, play in preseason games, and then we'll see if he's ready or not, and the connection with Leone and the development of young players in the organization could work if he needs a little spice in Rochester.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
It's far from dumb, it's a trade off. The player loses 1 of their 3 chances to cash in on class A, B or C bonuses. In exchange they reach non-arbitration RFA status a year early with almost zero negotiation leverage unless they blew up. It seems you conveniently forgot that Mitts was productive when he joined the Sabres, and Levi almost carried them to the playoffs.

With McGroaty you're not burning anything as his contract would run the entire year. You sign him, give him training camp and preseason games to see what he does

Mittelstadt struggled mightily when faced an entire season and not a short stint as did Levi

The issue is that kind of agreement (promising mittelstadt he’d be in the NHL or telling Levi they wouldn’t add another goalie) you are letting player dictate a NHL roster decisions before they even step in the ice. And if you sign McGoarty and then send him to the minors, he will be pissed about that to.

The Sabres have done far too much of sacrificing NHL wins to turn their professional team into a developmental one.

You can’t sign McGroarty and say ‘here’s one of our 12 forward spots this year’ ahead of all the other players who have put in their due in Rochester and the needs of the team.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Mittelstadt struggled mightily when faced an entire season and not a short stint as did Levi

The issue is that kind of agreement (promising mittelstadt he’d be in the NHL or telling Levi they wouldn’t add another goalie) you are letting player dictate a NHL roster decisions before they even step in the ice. And if you sign McGoarty and then send him to the minors, he will be pissed about that to.

The Sabres have done far too much of sacrificing NHL wins to turn their professional team into a developmental one.

You can’t sign McGroarty and say ‘here’s one of our 12 forward spots this year’ ahead of all the other players who have put in their due in Rochester and the needs of the team.
That's not how it works. You look for compromise, if McGroarty agrees to it you trade for him, if he absolutely doesn't, you just pass.

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
That's not how it works. You look for compromise, if McGroarty agrees to it you trade for him, if he absolutely doesn't, you just pass.

I mean, if he agrees to go to the AHL if he doesn't earn a NHL spot, then there isn't an issue.

But that isn't what we did with Mittelstadt (spent 0 games in the AHL his first year even though he clearly needed time in the minors). And last year we promised Levi we wouldn't add another a goalie last summer (even though we clearly needed one).

But that seems to be exactly the issue with Winnipeg. He wants a clear path to the NHL and they won't give it to him. He SHOULDN'T get that here either. Which is why his current situation is a non starter for me.

Reactions: Jim Bob

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I mean, if he agrees to go to the AHL if he doesn't earn a NHL spot, then there isn't an issue.

But that isn't what we did with Mittelstadt (spent 0 games in the AHL his first year even though he clearly needed time in the minors). And last year we promised Levi we wouldn't add another a goalie last summer (even though we clearly needed one).

But that seems to be exactly the issue with Winnipeg. He wants a clear path to the NHL and they won't give it to him. He SHOULDN'T get that here either. Which is why his current situation is a non starter for me.
Well, I said compromise, and we don't know what the Jets specifically told McGroarty. Maybe they want him to at least play a full season in the AHL or more, because they only rely on veterans (that's what it looks like). For us, he would immediately be the closest prospect who is ready for the NHL, or maybe he was good in camp and preseason games and would crack the roster right away, given his size, style of play, and maturity.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The Sabres do not need more young, inexperienced players on this roster. Spending trade assets, or swapping a prospect with a different skill set for him, is not what they need to be prioritizing this offseason.

Trading Rosen or Savoie or 11OV for RMcG could mean that they do not have the assets to add a specific veteran player that they need more because the other GM wants what they no longer have.

I just do not believe this is the offseason for the Sabres to be looking into a deal like this. Plus, if McG doesn’t want to go to Winnipeg, what are the odds he’d want to sign in Buffalo?

Exactly. Focus on established NHLers.

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Well, I said compromise, and we don't know what the Jets specifically told McGroarty. Maybe they want him to at least play a full season in the AHL or more, because they only rely on veterans (that's what it looks like). For us, he would immediately be the closest prospect who is ready for the NHL, or maybe he was good in camp and preseason games and would crack the roster right away, given his size, style of play, and maturity.

Based off of this article:

The Jets didn’t view McGroarty as ready to make that kind of impact, nor were they ready to guarantee him a roster spot in the NHL next season. McGroarty could sign and come to training camp but risked being demoted to the AHL instead of trying to lead his Michigan team to a national championship.
This isn’t a situation where the player wants out of Winnipeg because of his views on the city. Instead, there appears to be a disconnect between how Winnipeg’s player development viewed and communicated its plan with McGroarty and McGroarty’s view of his own future. The desire to play in the NHL played a big role in McGroarty’s decision not to sign in April; put simply, he viewed himself as more ready than the team did. At first, this difference in opinion didn’t appear to necessitate McGroarty’s exit from the organization. The relationship has changed since the start of McGroarty’s offseason, though. He no longer believes his future is with the Jets.

It sounds very much like he wants a guaranteed spot in the NHL next year like players signing with bad teams get and he doesn't want to spend time in the AHL. And if that is the case....we shouldn't trade for him.

Reactions: Jim Bob

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
It sounds very much like he wants a guaranteed spot in the NHL next year like players signing with bad teams get and he doesn't want to spend time in the AHL. And if that is the case....we shouldn't trade for him
If for him it's NHL or bust, then yes but I'm not sure about that.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Exactly. Focus on established NHLers.
Are there any? I mean I've offered so many options and someone always says "Adams doesn't trade serious assets for rentals": Buch, Ehlers, Konecny, Bennett. Tampa doesn't trade in the division or he's not worth 11 (Cirelli). EEK is unavailable, Danault is not traded, etc.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Are there any? I mean I've offered so many options and someone always says "Adams doesn't trade serious assets for rentals": Buch, Ehlers, Konecny, Bennett. Tampa doesn't trade in the division or he's not worth 11 (Cirelli). EEK is unavailable, Danault is not traded, etc.
good thing those people aren’t Kevyn Adams and are just posting on a forum.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

7. What will Kevyn Adams and the Sabres do in a make-or-break offseason?

This is a make-or-break offseason for Sabres GM Kevyn Adams.

Buffalo has missed the playoffs in 13 straight seasons and Adams has been at the helm for four of them. The Sabres have some exciting young pieces and an elite prospect pool but it’s long overdue for the franchise to turn potential into tangible results. Adams was conservative last summer and it led to a step back this season — he can’t afford another disappointing campaign or he’ll likely pay for it with his job.

Adams’ first dilemma will be deciding whether or not to buy out Jeff Skinner. The 32-year-old winger has three years left at a $9 million cap hit. A buyout would open up a tad over $7.5 million of space this summer.

Third-line center will likely be a need after the Mittelstadt trade. On the back end, the Sabres have a lot of bodies but could use a rugged, defensively oriented type to complement the offensive skill that Rasmus Dahlin and Bowen Byram bring to the ice. They could also use an additional top-six winger, especially if Skinner gets bought out.

Adams is open to cashing in on some of his top prospects or the No. 11 pick for immediate help.

“I’ve made it clear to every single team in the league that I’m open to trading prospects if it makes our team better,” Adams said. “I’m open to trading pick 11 if it makes our team better. It just has to make sense, because these are valuable assets.”

All the signs are there for the Sabres to be big players and yet there’s still a pathway for an underwhelmingly quiet offseason. It isn’t always easy attracting top free agents to Buffalo and while you’d expect them to be aggressive in exploring the trade market, sometimes the prices don’t make sense or you simply strike out. In any case, there will be a ton of pressure on Adams to position the club to battle for a playoff spot next season.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
good thing those people aren’t Kevyn Adams and are just posting on a forum.
I'm just afraid that this is what will happen.
That last paragraph is key, there are always some obstacles for the Sabres specifically to make a deal or sign a UFA.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
That would be something seeing that we drafted Savoie over McGroarty just two years ago.

Sabres interviewed McGroarty during his draft combine, fwiw. But so did 26 other teams.

Obviously you’d interview a bunch of players at the combine. You wouldn’t be doing your job if you only interviewed the prospects you want to draft.

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
On one hand, McGroarty would probably be interested in joining a very young skilled group on an upcoming team all around his age, but if he wants to be gifted both an NHL spot and a significant role without proving anything then no thanks. If it's for another reason then maybe it could be worth looking more into.

It just goes to show how much speculation we do around the draft, I remember so many people talking about his character and leadership - how great he would be around the guys.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Vegas, Tampa, Philly, Wash, NYI and Minnesota all seem like they will have cap issues next season unless they make moves.

It would be most likely Adams would find a trade partner with one of these teams.

Reactions: Jacob582

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Based off of this article:

It sounds very much like he wants a guaranteed spot in the NHL next year like players signing with bad teams get and he doesn't want to spend time in the AHL. And if that is the case....we shouldn't trade for him.
I agree...Two years ago I would have said heck ya to trading for someone like him.

Now is the time bring in NHL players and make the playoffs not trade for more prospects.

I don't see McGroaty costing any less than someone like Necas or Ehlers. I would rather have the proven NHLer at this time.

Sabresbyswords104

Dec 7, 2019
Would be bad management if trading away what we draft for 1 year rentals

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I agree...Two years ago I would have said heck ya to trading for someone like him.

Now is the time bring in NHL players and make the playoffs not trade for more prospects.

I don't see McGroaty costing any less than someone like Necas or Ehlers. I would rather have the proven NHLer at this time.
Carolina is almost certainly asking for a lot for Necas and that’s why he hasn’t been traded yet. And it wouldn’t surprise me if Winnipeg wanted more for a proven NHLer like Ehlers.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Carolina is almost certainly asking for a lot for Necas and that’s why he hasn’t been traded yet. And it wouldn’t surprise me if Winnipeg wanted more for a proven NHLer like Ehlers.
Depending on the 1st I think the asking price is gonna be a 1st and top prospect for any of the 3 unless WPG or CAR want NHL players back but both will run into cap issues.

Teams can ask for whatever they want doesnt mean they get it.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Depending on the 1st I think the asking price is gonna be a 1st and top prospect for any of the 3 unless WPG or CAR want NHL players back but both will run into cap issues.

Teams can ask for whatever they want doesnt mean they get it.
I doubt any GM would consider for a second giving up a 1st AND an A prospect for McG.

And rumors are that Carolina’s ask might be a 1st, a young NHLer, and a prospect for Necas.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad