The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Maybe Sherwood could be that guy, he's as physical as Joshua, he had a good season. There are a few guys like that in Vegas (Cotter and Kolesar).

Low-key, Carrier is the optimal 4th line LW IMO and he's UFA. But there are teams who do well finding and grooming these players... and then there are teams behind the curve who are going to over-pay in UFA this summer (like Buffalo, Toronto *again*, everyone else bidding on these free agents).

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Low-key, Carrier is the optimal 4th line LW IMO and he's UFA. But there are teams who do well finding and grooming these players... and then there are teams behind the curve who are going to over-pay in UFA this summer (like Buffalo, Toronto *again*, everyone else bidding on these free agents).
Agreed, but how do we find him? We don't have him in Rochester. Should we look in UFA or other teams? Joshua and Sherwood are guys who have over 200+ hits per season and are useful in other aspects, there aren't many guys like that physical.

Boston has Frederick, but he'll probably be hard to get.

Colton could be our 3C, but he has NTC and I don't know if Colorado is going to move him.

Maybe Dickinson, Luostarinen or Joseph, they all play a physical game.

Reactions: Beauty

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Agreed, but how do we find him? We don't have him in Rochester. Should we look in UFA or other teams? Joshua and Sherwood are guys who have over 200+ hits per season and are useful in other aspects, there aren't many guys like that physical.

Boston has Frederick, but he'll probably be hard to get.

Colton could be our 3C, but he has NTC and I don't know if Colorado is going to move him.

Maybe Dickinson, Luostarinen or Joseph, they all play a physical game.

Colton's NTC doesn't kick in until July 1st.

The way to find these guys is for them to put an emphasis on finding them. It's got to be a philosophical shift in the front office and they are behind the trend.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018

The way to find these guys is for them to put an emphasis on finding them. It's got to be a philosophical shift in the front office and they are behind the trend.
Well Colton + #24 for #11?

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Based on reading Avs board I wouldn't do that. A lot of talk on that board says he should probably be a winger and not a center and wasn't very good defensively
Then probably yes, we need to look elsewhere.

Interestingly, when I looked at Canes board, it turned out that Kotkaniemi is better than Drury in almost every way in their opinion, well, except for the contract. Although he has fallen out of favour with RBA this season.

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Then probably yes, we need to look elsewhere.

Interestingly, when I looked at Canes board, it turned out that Kotkaniemi is better than Drury in almost every way in their opinion, well, except for the contract. Although he has fallen out of favour with RBA this season.

Some of the fancy public stats have Drury as the better measured player. KK was signed in part to be redundant if/when Jordan Staal is done and since he's not yet, they're just paying someone to not be their shutdown guy. If the Canes wanted to move on from one and they offered Drury, that would be fine with me too.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
How much appetite for risk would people have if Marchessault gets all the way to UFA? Some smoke that Vegas and his agent aren't getting it done. He's coming off career highs in goals and is flat out old, but the guy has Cup pedigree and works his bag off.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Some of the fancy public stats have Drury as the better measured player. KK was signed in part to be redundant if/when Jordan Staal is done and since he's not yet, they're just paying someone to not be their shutdown guy. If the Canes wanted to move on from one and they offered Drury, that would be fine with me too.
Yeah, I saw it, but like I said Kotkaniemi had a bad season, but before that he had a good season. I just voiced the opinion of their fans on their board that Kotka is better than Drury in everything and Jack doesn't do much. I don't know how true that is because I haven't watched much hockey this past season and can only rely on other people's opinions and metric cards.

How much appetite for risk would people have if Marchessault gets all the way to UFA? Some smoke that Vegas and his agent aren't getting it done. He's coming off career highs in goals and is flat out old, but the guy has Cup pedigree and works his bag off.
AFP predicts his new contract will be 6.2M x 3Y , but I think many teams will want such a player.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
I'd be kicking the tires if I were Adams. He's not my dream acquisition, but he's a good vet and I think he still has a bit left in the tank and all it would cost is money.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in

I actually have him second on my list as a UFA, behind Pesce/Roy.

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
I think they are but I don't think they have put value in this sort of player. I also tend to think too much of the staff and perhaps the owners are too "turn the other cheek" and they don't seek out on-ice violence. Not that we haven't seen this problem with them before and the measures taken by previous regimes usually involved a singular or perhaps a duo of players... which is just not enough.
Amen.

The majority of modern hockey - GMs, coaches, owners, fans - no longer values or even recognizes what it means to be violent on the ice. It's nasty, vicious, hyper-masculine stuff and it's still baked into the hockey's DNA despite the efforts of the powers that be. Society as a whole is less violent today, which is good of course, but it's left many unable to understand violence in its legitimate contexts.

Yes, it's dangerous and for that reason problematic to a degree, but it's also what makes all the skill that players achieve in the face of it so entertaining and worth paying to watch. The balance is what makes the game special.

To this point, there is a chasm of difference between a guy like Sam Bennett and a guy like Peyton Krebs. One is a mean and strong middleweight brute and one is a lilliputian shit-starter who can't physically back up his attitude.

We need to add the real thing this summer, whether it's Bennett, Carrier, Joshua, etc. Lindy should help some overall, I'd still want him on my side in a bar fight at 64.

Reactions: Beerz

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Would be an incredible injection of production and juice.

I assume it would take minimum 2 / 6.5M to lure him here, scary for a 34 year old. Having another big winger contract overlap with Skinner and Tuch still here plus JJ and Quinn's raises feels like too much.

I'd do a one-year cash splash that eats up our remaining cap, but he'd only consider that if the market truly spurns him. I imagine someone like Seattle or Vancouver will cave and give him 2-3 years for 7M.

dickiedunnwrotethis

It's gotta be true.
May 16, 2009
saskatoon

It seemed like Adams hinted at such a philosophical change in his end-of-season comments. I have to hope that these playoffs and seeing how games are officiated will stiffens his spine in regard to making some of the hard roster decisions needed to be truly competitive. Lots of work to be done and not just with the bottom six.

Reactions: HOOats

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It seemed like Adams hinted at such a philosophical change in his end-of-season comments. I have to hope that these playoffs and seeing how games are officiated will stiffens his spine in regard to making some of the hard roster decisions needed to be truly competitive. Lots of work to be done and not just with the bottom six.

I want to believe he sees it but until he starts making those moves - UFA's, trades, draft picks, the works - I'm going to wait and see on this.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
If Adams is looking for a mid-six forward, probably yes. But if he's looking for a top 6 forward, he doesn't seem like a good fit. I would prefer Buchnevich. Although even for a mid-six forward I wanted to get a more physical player than Iaffalo.

I like it a lot...but you just gotta wonder what the trade cost is. WPG never trades anyone unless they're robbing them. I'm fine being robbed, to a point.

How is Iafallo 30 years old already??

I'm getting Iafallo as the opposite winger with Cozens/Benson and sending Greenway to the 4th line. That will be your two way matchup line

in TOI its probably a top 6 forward because he likely gets PK time too.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Benson has the potential for sure but he's not on the same level as Rhino yet.

Is Rino on the same level as Rino from here? Way to know how many of his goals were net front tips this year? Florida doesn't seem to use him that way very much on PP from what I have noticed anyway. His shot has improved exponentially

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad